• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bulletstorm Demo Impressions | Up on XBL | [Update: PC Demo Soon]

Spookie

CitizenCope said:
Has anyones charater died? I'm wondering if there is any difficulty in the game besides getting high scores.

I've gotten low before and told to get to cover because I was lining up a chain shot. But none of these mutants really return fire. In the latest video I could have swore I saw 'elite' soldiers equiped with body armour and assault rifles.

Spookie said:
I've gotten low before and told to get to cover because I was lining up a chain shot. But none of these mutants really return fire. In the latest video I could have swore I saw 'elite' soldiers equiped with body armour and assault rifles.
This is probably difficulty balance for the demo. It's very common so people can play throught the demo so they can see everything with out needing to restart and get frustrated.

Gowans

I'm stuck round 6500 and my mate bloody got 6750 just hitting buttons on his 3rd go.

Need to get some extra points some places. I need to work out the whiplash I think, how do you pick them up and swat them back into the ground?

Aaron

I really wish it was more like the Club in its pacing and score mechanic. Though what really bothered me was the lack of grenades and existence of iron sights. At the pace this game should run at, I shouldn't ever have time to look down the barrel of a gun.

Aaron said:
I really wish it was more like the Club in its pacing and score mechanic. Though what really bothered me was the lack of grenades and existence of iron sights. At the pace this game should run at, I shouldn't ever have time to look down the barrel of a gun.
"I had a expectation for this game to be exactly like this other game but it's not." I'm pretty sure the game is running the way it should. Let me go back and check again.

Aaron said:
Iron sights in a run and gun shooter? Who thought this was a good idea?

CliffyB

Playah
Sho_Nuff82 said:

COD IS a run and gun shooter, I assure you. It just has a nice real world wrapper. :)

Glad you guys are enjoying the demo. There are many ways you can climb to the top of the leaderboards; the demo is built for replayability in mind with the various shots.

Bread

Banned
I had fun with the demo, I want to see a video of someone getting a really high score, because I was getting around 5k each time I played.

Teknoman

Hopefully this + Duke make way for more not so serious shooters from the west. Also more bad-ass bosses in shooters (Gears and Borderlands had these, but there are too few shooters these days with boss battles).

EDIT: Iron sights is probably to keep long range combos going.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
CliffyB said:
COD IS a run and gun shooter, I assure you. It just has a nice real world wrapper. :)

Glad you guys are enjoying the demo. There are many ways you can climb to the top of the leaderboards; the demo is built for replayability in mind with the various shots.

I just wished you ( or whoever could've ) pulled some strings and got the demo released for the pc-crowd aswell.

V_Ben

Banned
I went into the two demos today expecting to hate bulletstorm and love crysis 2. I finished playing both thoroughly unimpressed by Crysis 2, but wholeheartedly enjoying Bulletstorm. It just felt like so much fun! :D

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Got like 4300 my first playthrough.
This game totally needs a combo list in the start menu like in a fighting game.
I instinctively paused to look up some sweet moves, but they were no where to be found. :[

Fucking AWESOME so far, gonna smoke a bowl and give it a few more playthroughs.
Then on to Crysis! DopeDemoDay indeed.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Corky said:
I just wished you ( or whoever could've ) pulled some strings and got the demo released for the pc-crowd aswell.
They would just pirate the demo!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Also, I kept trying to shoot dudes in the nuts to make them fall over and cry like in the trailer but I couldn't do it. Is that like a special case thing, or was I just not aiming right. [pretty sure I was]

Teknoman

Corky said:

Yeah, i'd rather play this on PC, especially since I have the chance day one and dont have to wait for a port.

Its not cross platform compatible is it? Would be nice if more Games for Windows Live and XBL players could play with/against each other.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Spookie said:
Press back...

Though only in retail :(
Oh ok, well at least its gonna be there.
This is seriously the BEST game, I can't wait.
Such a needed break for me after all the WoW I've been playing lately.

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
Sho_Nuff82 said:

What's the issue with it? Obviously they included the "slow-down" when you leash someone in the air so you could shoot precision shots which is what iron sights are for... precision.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I just for 50pts for drinking some booze. :lol
OH SHIT, and you get fat bonus points for your drunken kills!

Jtwo said:
Also, I kept trying to shoot dudes in the nuts to make them fall over and cry like in the trailer but I couldn't do it. Is that like a special case thing, or was I just not aiming right. [pretty sure I was]

You just have to be spot on with your aim (use the iron sights) and your first shot has to hit them in the nuts otherwise they go into a stagger. Then you have to finish them off with a headshot or a kick to the face to get the mercy bonus. Shots up the ass seem quite hard to get too.

Been playing some more, got up to 13,000 now which I think might be my limit. Really addictive, always bodes well for the full game when a demo is this replayable.

dankir

Air Zombie Meat said:
You just have to be spot on with your aim (use the iron sights) and your first shot has to hit them in the nuts otherwise they go into a stagger. Then you have to finish them off with a headshot or a kick to the face to get the mercy bonus. Shots up the ass seem quite hard to get too.

Been playing some more, got up to 13,000 now which I think might be my limit. Really addictive, always bodes well for the full game when a demo is this replayable.

Honestly points and high score is the most basic thing that are in video games and when done right make the game awesome.

Look at Pacman championship edition.

Can't wait to try out the demo tonight though.

Hows the framerate and visuals??

CliffyB

Playah
Also, iron sights are important if you want to get headshots on guys in mid air. You need that fine level of targeting.

Im impressed, I wasn't particularly interested in it before hand but having played it I think its really good. Looking forward to when it comes out.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
This game sounds so funny.
Tons of overlapping slow motion "URRAGAAGHHHHHH RAAWWRRHGHGHGHGH AARRRRRGHHHHHHH!!"

It sounds like a super beastly orgy.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
CliffyB said:
Also, iron sights are important if you want to get headshots on guys in mid air. You need that fine level of targeting.
Exactly. It works quite well as it is.

The use of slow motion here is very slick, I must admit. Pulling off complex moves without it on an analog stick would be nearly impossible. In addition, it adds a sense of weight to the actions as you perform them and encourages creativity.

I really appreciate the fact that the level design seems to have been taken seriously. With games such as Painkiller and Serious Sam I've always taken issue with the dull, empty level design. Even The Club, which I loved, was pretty dull in that regard. Bulletstorm manages to present a more interesting level layout like you would expect in a story driven FPS title rather than a simple series of arenas and hallways.

derFeef

Demo was fun, it froze my 360 though on the second run. Will buy for sure on PC. The whip is going to be my most used thing I think.

Karram

I really liked the demo. I liked it even more in my second playthrough after I got used to the controls. My only issue is the climbing up animation.

Also I'm surprised by how linear the demo was it's nothing like Pain Killer.

I liked it, but I have a feeling that with the demo alone, I've already seen the majority of what the game has to offer. I think I'm going to cancel my pre-order, and wait 'till it drops in price.

-PXG-

Loved the demo. The controls were excellent. I wish it was a bit longer. Definitely going to pick this up. Oh, and the Gears 3 beta is a lovely bonus too.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Got 7155 on my first play, awesome stuff. I don't think the screamer charge shot will ever get old.

-PXG-

People are really not impressed with the visuals? It looks good. Sure, a little more AA wouldn't hurt, but it looks fine as is. Or is it the art direction? Tired of the hodge podge, cyber punk wasteland motif?

Feindflug

Played the demo a few times and it's quite good though the controls feel a little clunky and slow for an almost arcade shooter - small things like some annoying delay when switching weapons, kicking enemies or loading a power shot with RB. I expected the controls to be more fast and responsive...I play a lot of Vanquish lately and maybe that's why I'm bitching about the controls of Bulletstorm.

Graphically it's pretty good with smooth frame-rate, some really cool areas with beautiful colors, decent character designs and greatly improved lighting compared to previous UE3 games - the only drawback is the kinda rough IQ.

Really curious to see how Gears 3 & Batman: AC will turn out visually now that the UE3 engine is improved in all areas and especially in terms of lighting.

mr stroke

Any word of a PC demo?

really anticipating the game. UT3 still looks amazing today so hyped this will look as good if not better.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
mr stroke said:
Any word of a PC demo?

really anticipating the game. UT3 still looks amazing today so hyped this will look as good if not better.

If Dead space 2, crysis 2 and NFS is anything to go by, don''t hold your breath :(

Ramenman

Once again, XBL is slow as hell here....

Is the demo uploaded somewhere that I could DL it through my computer then put it on a USB stick ? It worked quite well with the Enslaved demo.

LQX

Wow, that was amazing. At first I was like I'm so over 20 shots to kill one dude but that quickly went away after I started grabbing and kicking the shit out dudes. Was not expecting much at all from this but this is looking like a day one purchase for now. Also we should be giving these dudes some props for trying to do something else with the FPS genre and I think it actually works. Very fun.

And also I think it looks much better than Crysis 2 though it looks a bit hazy/smokey.

RetroMG

I liked it. Good controls, good action, fun to play. Planning to pick it up after a price drop, or possibly before if I see a lot of my gaming buddies picking it up. (A lot of my co-workers seem interested.)

The gore and profanity was over-the-top to the point of self-parody though. (Maybe that was the point? I admit I haven't been following this game much.) I would prefer an option to tone it down. It wasn't offensive so much as silly.

Top Bottom