• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

Salsa

JRW said:
I'm guessing PC version has the same texture quality vs. consoles.... http://i.imgur.com/k3LsV.jpg

b4dsf.png

Ok, i am stuck in the game lol. I need help please, how the hell do i
make or buy the fucking lock grinder so i can continue on with the Juno/Tower mission?

TKRunningRiot

Neo Member
EvilDick34 said:
Ok, i am stuck in the game lol. I need help please, how the hell do i
make or buy the fucking lock grinder so i can continue on with the Juno/Tower mission?

You don't need it for that mission, follow the dots on the mini-map dude

Truespeed

Zeliard said:
Please tell me there isn't an actual manual save system in the game that he simply ignored.

He called it the worst save system he's seen in years. On the console you need to go to the menu and perform a manual save and he didn't like being taken out of the moment.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
What does the GPU transcoding option refer to? I assume it utilises CUDA cores in some fashion, to which end I've enabled it.

jackdoe

Truespeed said:
He called it the worst save system he's seen in years. On the console you need to go to the menu and perform a manual save and he didn't like being taken out of the moment.
Which can definitely get old fast (like when playing Witcher 2 with a 360 pad, which is why I hit F5 instead).

JaseC

angular graphics said:
It uses the GPU instead of the CPU for transcoding the textures.
Wallach said:
It uses CUDA to transcode the megatexture data faster. I assume this is a Good Thing™.

Cheers. That's handy, since I'm still running a Core2Duo.

Wallach

JaseC said:
What does the GPU transcoding option refer to? I assume it utilises CUDA cores in some fashion, to which end I've enabled it.

It uses CUDA to transcode the megatexture data faster. I assume this is a Good Thing™.

I'm going to bed. Hopefully this is all fixed tomorrow. Situation is CRAY CRAY over at id probably, which sucks because I also know what it feels like to finally get over crunch time. This is not what they wanted to see. Me either.

Reuenthal said:
So... Is the PC version of Rage worthy to get or should I abstain from getting this game?
If you have an ATI card run the hell away from this for now and don't look back. If not I'd wait for impressions from gamers with a similar setup, a definitive patch, and/or the sales bin.

$60, for this.

derFeef

NullPointer said:
If you have an ATI card run the hell away from this for now and don't look back.
Why are they managing to screw AMD customers every time. Also - they did announce a Rage driver yesterday on twitter - is that out yet?

derFeef said:
Why are they managing to screw AMD customers every time. Also - they did announce a Rage driver yesterday on twitter - is that out yet?
Doesn't seem to be making a difference. And some can't even launch the game.

Truespeed

Wallach said:

I'm going to bed. Hopefully this is all fixed tomorrow. Situation is CRAY CRAY over at id probably, which sucks because I also know what it feels like to finally get over crunch time. This is not what they wanted to see. Me either.

On a positive note it allows them to stress test their support department so they can optimize it for future games.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
AgentOtaku said:
Yep!

Every now and then I play a game with so much damn fidelity, it actually starts to hurt my eyes!

Off of the top of my head the following games do this:

Killzone2/3
Uncharted1/2
Castlevania: Lords of Shadows
Lost Planet1/2

Is this sarcasm? Outside of Uncharted, none of those games had a smooth frame rate...

derFeef

NullPointer said:
Doesn't seem to be making a difference. And some can't even launch the game.
So... they can make the game work on both consoles, but are not able to test it on the big two GPU's and make sure it works? Man...

Reuenthal

Banned
NullPointer said:
If you have an ATI card run the hell away from this for now and don't look back. If not I'd wait for impressions from gamers with a similar setup, a definitive patch, and/or the sales bin.

$60, for this.

I have an nvidia card but it is old. 9800gtx. Also an old e8400 processor. Based on what I knew about the objective of 60 FPS on consoles I expected this to run relatively well on my relatively old hardware but recent news I heard about a shitty PC port are distressing. Especially since I expected better from this company.

So based on what I have should I get it? Is it still a shitty port in general even without Ati cards where it is especially bad, or is it just bad with them?

Thunderbear said:
Is this sarcasm? Outside of Uncharted, none of those games had a smooth frame rate...

I said fidelity IE: attention to detail. All those games have crazy layers of detail to them. They would actually fatigue my eyes.

I'm not talking about framerate

Thunderbear

derFeef said:
So... they can make the game work on both consoles, but are not able to test it on the big two GPU's and make sure it works? Man...

Yeah, just look at the Steam forums. Seems both camps have problems. I have an Nvidia and I'm having massive issues.

Carmack posted "make sure you have the latest drivers installed" which rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. I have the latest Nvidia drivers installed.

Not playing this game until they fix it. I did stick with it for under an hour and so far I can see myself really enjoying the game once these problems are fixed.

I feel I should have just gotten the game on the PS3, despite the loading times.

Reuenthal said:
So based on what I have should I get it? Is it still a shitty port in general even without Ati cards but it is just worse with them?
At this point I feel so burned (from an id game no less) that I couldn't give you unbiased advice. But I think its fair to say that this is a console game first and foremost.

Thunderbear

AgentOtaku said:
I said fidelity IE: attention to detail. All those games have crazy layers of detail to them. They would actually fatigue my eyes.

I'm not talking about framerate

But the guy you quoted said "This game runs insanely smooth that my eyes hurt. Weird."

Running smoothly would be framerate, not visual fidelity? I agree with you about visual fidelity, but Rage runs butterly smooth which I assume is what he meant...

Thunderbear

NullPointer said:
At this point I feel so burned (from an id game no less) that I couldn't give you unbiased advice.

That's a bit of an overreaction? I'm complaining too but I am not getting emotional about it.

Thunderbear said:
That's a bit of an overreaction? I'm complaining too but I am not getting emotional about it.
I paid $60 for something that doesn't function, so no I don't think I'm overreacting. Yeah, that sticks in my craw. And it'd be one thing if I thought I was taking a risk with the developers, but this is id here. I didn't think this was possible.

But hey, learning experience I guess.

Thunderbear

Square Triangle said:
Sooo is this game just straight up fetch questing? An hour in and I'm bored. It sure is pretty though.

It's a shooter with very slight hints of RPG and open world mixed in. ID never said it was anything else. They've been very straight with the media that this is first and foremost a shooter. And in that area it seems to be living up to its name, there's plenty of weapons, gadgets, great enemies and so on.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
kinda weird they managed to get RAGE working perfectly fine on an Iphone, 360 and ps3 but fucked up the pc release.

Thunderbear

NullPointer said:
I paid $60 for something that doesn't function, so no I don't think I'm overreacting. Yeah, that sticks in my craw. And it'd be one thing if I thought I was taking a risk with the developers, but this is id here. I didn't think this was possible.

But hey, learning experience I guess.

But it is going to work, give it a day or two and you'll have your game. I'm annoyed too, but maybe you need to run into some real shit in life to realize what a small issue this is. Or if you have, maybe just put things in perspective.

I agree it's really bad to release a product like this, but I assume it's going to be fixed quickly.

MNC

So here RAGE gets released while I sleep and then this happens, quite lol, though a bit bad. Hope it gets fixed soon.

Thunderbear

angular graphics said:
Worst PC developer this gen..
?

I thought that was Crytek? Short attention span! :p

Developers are focusing their attention where the big bucks are. I thought I made a smart choice by going PC because it was developed by ID but at this point I wish I'd gotten the PS3 version instead.

Eusis

angular graphics said:
Worst PC developer this gen..
?
CD Projekt so far seems to be BOTH the best (Witcher 2) and worst (Saint's Row 2 port), though the latter is an example of doing a port for a company that might not have provided adequate support.

The M.O.B

It's pretty funny seeing *insert name* is now playing "RAGE" continuing to pop up on my steam notifications. I don't think the game is gonna be fixed by restarting it continuously haha

Massa

Doc Holliday said:
kinda weird they managed to get RAGE working perfectly fine on an Iphone, 360 and ps3 but fucked up the pc release.

Since this id I can safely say it's not the game that is broken, it's your PC
's drivers

Eusis said:
CD Projekt so far seems to be BOTH the best (Witcher 2) and worst (Saint's Row 2 port), though the latter is an example of doing a port for a company that might not have provided adequate support.

Also to be fair the SR2 port was done by a different department than the guys that made Witcher 1&2.

Thunderbear

BigJiantRobut said:
Ars is such a pretentious shithouse. Rage isn't... well, I thought it was ok. But since when should being "game-y" be a negative thing for a video game to be?

The current fad for the "in" crowd is Demon Souls. If it's a blockbuster experience, then it's crap. Now all of the sudden games need to be insanely hard (and cheap) to be a good game.

Gamespot: Demon Souls 9.5
Rage: 8.0

That's my impression of what's going on. It's going to be really interesting what happens to COD MW3 and Uncharted 3. I'll enjoy U3 no matter what (as I will Rage based on what I've played so far) but I feel the games media is a little club that all are influenced by peer pressure.

As long as the games I like keep getting made, I don't really care. I'm happy that lots of people love Demon Souls, it really does have some innovative parts about it too (I just think the praise is a bit over the top).

JaseC

Well, this is practically unplayable for me. Any time I turn around the game pauses for a few seconds while the textures load. Alt-tabbing to the task manager reveals ~90% CPU usage, so I can only assume that GPU transcoding isn't working at all.

IoCaster

Gold Member
Running on GTX 580, 3D 120hz monitor, (8xAA, 2xSS, 16xAF, Triple Buff and Vsync all set with Nvidia Inspector). EDIT: Using Nvidia 285.38 BETA drivers.

Game is running silky smooth with frame rate locked @60 with no dips. Other than some blurry textures close-up and some minor pop-up occasionally when making quick turns I haven't had any problems with the graphics. I'd definitely like to increase FOV and make a few tweaks, but I'm not having any game breaking issues so far.

So far I've taken on Ghost/Wasted bandits and mutants. The starting pistol is relatively weak, but if you aim low and take out their legs you can close in fast and take them out with a quick melee. The enemy animation and hit detection is pretty damn awesome. I've had instances of multiple bandits hobbling and crawling while I rushed them to apply the coup de grâce with my Fists of RAGE. Fun!

Oh well, I hope you folks that are having problems running the game can get the issues resolved quickly so that you get a chance to play it. I'm having a blast so far and it's a shame that id botched the launch of the PC version so badly. I'm going to get in another hour or so before I shut it down for the night.

The latest beta drivers from NVIDIA made a huge difference for me. With the old drivers I was using, which came out a few months ago, the game was constantly freezing up and glitching out like crazy. With the new drivers it's smooth as butter, no problems.

Definitely grab them if you haven't already.

MNC

If you grab the new beta drivers, will it still have the +38% performance for BF3? I don't know how beta drivers work. ._.

JaseC

Great Rumbler said:
The latest beta drivers from NVIDIA made a huge difference for me. With the old drivers I was using, which came out a few months ago, the game was constantly freezing up and glitching out like crazy. With the new drivers it's smooth as butter, no problems.

Definitely grab them if you haven't already.

The beta drivers are the very first thing I downloaded and installed today. They don't appear to help in my case. :(

Top Bottom