• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

IoCaster

Gold Member
Foliorum Viridum said:
I remember reading the EDGE feature on it years ago where they were describing how the mega textures would push technology to the very edge and would have more of an impact than when Crysis was first released.

Someone lend me a :lol to use?

Yeah, somewhere along the line this happened...

da2ot.jpg

Foliorum Viridum said:
I remember reading the EDGE feature on it years ago where they were describing how the mega textures would push technology to the very edge and would have more of an impact than when Crysis was first released.

Someone lend me a :lol to use?

Haha!

I actually remember something a bit different, an article from Edge about how what the engine does might not be what most developers would be interested in: http://www.next-gen.biz/features/rage-under-hood

The second problem is due to the smoke and mirrors id Tech 5 employs. Because many lighting effects are calculated when an artist inserts an asset into a scene, like a car throwing a shadow on to a dusty roadway, id Tech 5 cannot handle global dynamic lighting. Which also means it can’t properly depict a day-night cycle, with shadows moving as the sun shifts position. We see various smaller-scale dynamic lighting effects, such as shadows thrown by NPCs and a swinging light in a doorway, but they contrast with the far subtler shadows thrown by still objects in a scene. We also see the game’s palette cycle from the hard, bright exterior tones and darker, colourised interior ones as Willits enters and exits buildings in Wellspring.

The irony is that the previous-generation technology that drove Doom 3 ran almost without smoke and mirrors. Though the lack of global dynamic lighting isn’t an issue for Rage itself, it’s hard to see id Tech 5, a new engine that works on different principles to any other in use in games today, being an easy fit for many developers, despite all of its great benefits for production.

Kurdel

Banned
Kem0sabe said:
Its funny how people were all excited when "bethesda" (zenimax) bought id, hoping for elder scrolls games with rage graphics.

After the release of rage, its the other way around, people hoping for id games with skyrim graphics :)
There seems to be MUCH less pop-in in RAGE.

Skyrim looks nice, but it's all outside corridors. Even then, the draw distance on bushes is horrendous (on consoles, of course).

Apples to oranges, IMO.

angular graphics said:
Haha!

I actually remember something a bit different, an article from Edge about how what the engine does might not be what most developers would be interested in: http://www.next-gen.biz/features/rage-under-hood
Hmm interesting.

I think the article I was quoting (or paraphrasing, more accurately) was one of the very first about the game because it was from years ago.

Or I just remembered the positive hype comments and not the more negative ones, which is certainly a possibility.

Kem0sabe

Kurdel said:
There seems to be MUCH less pop-in in RAGE.

Skyrim looks nice, but it's all outside corridors. Even then, the draw distance on bushes is horrendous (on consoles, of course).

Apples to oranges, IMO.

I guess i was just a bit disappointing by the "misleading" marketing on rage, ended up hoping for an open ended semi rpg shooter, to tidy me up till skyrim, but all i ended up getting was a traditional id corridor shooter with some outside bits tacked on... that leaves me a bitter bitter man :)

Kem0sabe said:
I guess i was just a bit disappointing by the "misleading" marketing on rage, ended up hoping for an open ended semi rpg shooter, to tidy me up till skyrim, but all i ended up getting was a traditional id corridor shooter with some outside bits tacked on... that leaves me a bitter bitter man :)

Really?

I never once thought this was gonna be anything more than a refined/evolved id shooter. They themselves said as such numerous times. Even the marketing didn't really suggest otherwise.
Frankly this is all I want.
Don't need open-world just for the sake of it ala so many games this Generation.

Kem0sabe said:
Wow. Amazing news, I might buy the game now :D. I just assumed this was id's take on trying to do something new.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Solo said:
So based on what I've read so far, I think my rig will be one of the lucky ones (i5 2500, 8GB ram, GTX570) to be able to run it mostly problem free. But people are suggesting the use of the beta drivers? I tried those for The Witcher 2 and my performance was VERY poor, so I went back to the latest official drivers and got great performance. Now the opposite is true for Rage?

Caramack just tweeted that you should play Rage with the latest drivers only.

d1rtn4p

Kem0sabe said:

I'm welcoming a corridor shooter at this point. The trend these days is to make a shooter, add a cover system, throw a few RPG elements in, and you have just about every other game out there...

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Carmack standing there and 3 guys with their hand in 'their pockets'... coincidence? I think not.

#Nerdgasm

I'm such a tech geek. Its been so long since i experienced a buggy PC game launch that I'm actually excited to faff about and try different drivers and workarounds.

Obviously that's no defense for the game being released released in the state it seems to have been released in, but I'm going to get some perverse enjoyment out of it. I remember what the doom 3 launch was like... Patching in that code into the ATI version to make the flashlight work quicker and all that mess.

I won't have it until later tonight, but looks like I'll be rolling up my sleeves. Who knows, maybe I'll get to play and enjoy it a bit too.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
codhand said:
Originally Posted by angular graphics:

To me that looks near identical to what Rage's retail copy actually looks like, my question is did they just spend three years optimizing it for consoles?

If by optimizing you mean removing all the dynamic lighting, AA, DOF and about half a dozen post processing stuff, then yeah, I can see that.

ie - actual game doesn't look remotely as good as in that trailer.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
TTP said:
CVG 360/PS3 comparison video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI3FuL27mho

Watch in HD. Looking at the grid and text at 1:44, PS3 version looks blurrier.

I do wonder tho if the blurriness of the PS3 version comes from video cable used for recording. If they are using a retail PS3, they are surely capturing PS3 footage via Component due to HDCP blocking HDMI signal. On the other hand, retail Xbox 360s don't have HDCP over HDMI. So we might be seeing HDMI vs Component here.

edit - also, wtf at no shaking in PS3 version.

Normally I'd go with the 360 version over the PS3 version, but they sold me with it being on one blu-ray disc versus three DVDs.

codhand said:
Originally Posted by angular graphics:

To me that looks near identical to what Rage's retail copy actually looks like, my question is did they just spend three years optimizing it for consoles?

*Edit
from that Carmack pic, in the background it looks like someone spent their time playing WoW.
I don't think so, but consider how large the world is and how little repeated art it contains. I honestly think a good bulk of the long development has been making all the assets.

jaxpunk

Derrick01 said:
It's apparently fine on nvidia cards, though some do have some noticeable texture pop in. Make sure to use the beta drivers.

I still have to wait a couple of hours to pick mine up, not liking some of the textures I'm seeing here in this thread. It wasn't a good idea to give us the same textures as the consoles.

I'm getting no texture pop in on nvidia and I'm not using a beta driver...

jett

D-Member
Since I have an ATI card...and an old ATI card at that, I don't think I'll be buying anything until shit gets fixed.

plagiarize said:
I'm such a tech geek. Its been so long since i experienced a buggy PC game launch that I'm actually excited to faff about and try different drivers and workarounds.

Obviously that's no defense for the game being released released in the state it seems to have been released in, but I'm going to get some perverse enjoyment out of it. I remember what the doom 3 launch was like... Patching in that code into the ATI version to make the flashlight work quicker and all that mess.

I won't have it until later tonight, but looks like I'll be rolling up my sleeves. Who knows, maybe I'll get to play and enjoy it a bit too.

I'm envious of you as the last couple of PC games I bought had botched launches IE: Dead Island and Deus Ex: HR (which is still broke)

StuBurns

Banned
Lyte Edge said:
Normally I'd go with the 360 version over the PS3 version, but they sold me with it being on one blu-ray disc versus three DVDs.
This surprises me. In terms of the campaign, that's one disc change in eight hours. Is that really a concern for you?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
StuBurns said:
This surprises me. In terms of the campaign, that's one disc change in eight hours. Is that really a concern for you?

I'd rather play off one disc on PS3 (with partial install) than install three discs' worth of data on 360.

StuBurns said:

It's just archiac and kind of ugly at this point. If the trade off is slightly longer loading of textures (lest us not forget the 360 version still has this problem anyway), then so be it.
MS should have at least allowed for the option of one disc needed only after both discs are installed. Also, it's 20+ gbs worth of data, which IS a concern for some people.
At least Sony helped out id and allowed them to extend their HDD install limit. Was this the first game besides GT5 that they allowed to do this?

For sure, the Games on Demand version of Rage should be interesting

Are they any multi-disc titles on GoD right now? If so, how do they work?

Derrick01

Banned
Kabuki Waq said:
so Nvidia cards run the game fine? or still lots of pop in and stuff?

Most who have posted here seem to be running pretty well though some have complained about the texture pop in. It's still better than what AMD users are getting but it seems to be a crapshoot pretty much.

Man those textures are ass. Megatexturing may be good for development but if the end result is a 20+GB download of blurry textures and static lighting I can't see it having much of a future.

StuBurns

Banned
TTP said:
I though you only need to install the first disc? Of the first 2? Isn't 3rd disc for multiplayer stuff?
If you don't care about the MP stuff, you only need to install the two discs yeah, actually, it's probably still quicker than the PS3 install, but that's a guess just based on PS3 installs historically.

Commanche Raisin Toast said:
arggg, the gamersyde videos they uploaded are a buttery 60fps, but it's the 360 version.

anyone know of anywhere that has 60fps PS3 version footage? doesn't have to be HD.

Hook us up Blim! ;)

Confidence Man said:
Man those textures are ass. Megatexturing may be good for development but if the end result is a 20+GB download of blurry textures and static lighting I can't see it having much of a future.

With Doom4 and MachineGames upcoming project, we'll see if indeed it's a dead end tech I presume.

Commanche Raisin Toast said:
arggg, the gamersyde videos they uploaded are a buttery 60fps, but it's the 360 version.

anyone know of anywhere that has 60fps PS3 version footage? doesn't have to be HD.

this is what i've wanted to see for months/years. the PS3 version running at the claimed 60fps. i won't believe it until i see it.

i'm going for the PS3 version if it's solid, and pretty much as good as it can be on the console. i don't mind slight blurriness or whatever, as long as the framerate is what was promised.

a shoddy PS3 port will force me to buy this on PC, and i don't like playing on my PC :(

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Jtyettis said:
The two single player discs took nearly 30 minutes for me last night. Was asking how long the 8gb install took.

I guess a little less than an hr. 45 minutes perhaps.

Anyway, we really need PS3 impressions from those with an SSD drive. Not about installation (I couldn't care less) but about texture streaming.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Solo said:
I'm catching up on the many pages that occurred since I left last night. Im curently reading all the ATI card problems....how is nVidia card performance?
Wait a second, ATI cards are having issues? Seriously?

If that's the case, I will be seriously disappointed. I was expecting flawless performance out of this game and there is no reason why that shouldn't be the case.

FrankT

TTP said:

Anyway, we really need PS3 impressions from those with an SSD drive. Not about installation (I couldn't care less) but about texture streaming.

Well maybe it was ~25 not 100% certain as there was a small bit of time between change out for me, but it certainly felt up there with the longest installs. Runs so smoothly though I can't complain too much.

So with the multiplayer disc in this the install is probably about the same time wise.

Ricker said:
he did ;)

Heading out to get the PC version soon.

looking for the PS3 version, not 360. i know everyone says "they're identical it doesn't matter" but a lot of us want to see it for ourselves. :)

all of the PS3 version videos i can find are all 30fps due to limitations of the video itself (be it flash video, or encoded at 30fps)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hmm, so performance on ATI cards does seem to be poor. I'm seriously crushed here.

I'll try it when I get back, but I'm tempted to just send it back unopened and buy the console version instead. I just assumed PC performance would be flawless.

This is why PC gaming gets on my nerves sometimes. It CAN be great, but then you run into this kind of shit. Anticipating a new game only to find that it doesn't work properly on your hardware for no good reason.

dark10x said:
Hmm, so performance on ATI cards does seem to be poor. I'm seriously crushed here.

I'll try it when I get back, but I'm tempted to just send it back unopened and buy the console version instead. I just assumed PC performance would be flawless.

This is why PC gaming gets on my nerves sometimes. It CAN be great, but then you run into this kind of shit. Anticipating a new game only to find that it doesn't work properly on your hardware for no good reason.

yep. honestly It seems to happen to ATI more than Nvidia fo some reason.

TTP said:

wait, you can put SSDs in PS3s!?

Top Bottom