• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

BTails

XATKcrE.jpg

Some of my most played titles of my Saturn collection. It's a shame more people can't play Hyper Duel as it's an absolutely stellar shooter and one of my all time favorites.

Next week on MTV Cribs...

Seriously impressive
and expensive
collection there!

I'm not familiar with Layer Section.
it was recommended to me by sixteen-bit.

if you're familiar with Ray Storm or Ray Crisis for psx, this game released before them and called Ray Force in the arcade. Due to licensing the name was changed to Layer Section for Saturn.
(Layer Section II is pretty much Ray Storm)

i'm pretty hyped as i brought the Saturn just to play this and a few other titles.

I'm not familiar with Layer Section.
It's a 2D shmup where your goal is to blow up the Earth.

No, not stop the Earth from being blown up. You want that sucker turned into an asteroid field.
Apparently humanity's left it by this point in the backstory anyway, cuz some computer irreversibly took it over or something.

eXistor

I'd totally tate, but my TV wil break in minutes if I do that I'm afraid. I tried it once (also with Layer Section, funnily enough) and immediately the colors went to shit, so I quickly turned it back to normal. I never really had issues with playing with borders (maybe playing PAL games brainwashed me).

I'd totally tate, but my TV wil break in minutes if I do that I'm afraid. I tried it once (also with Layer Section, funnily enough) and immediately the colors went to shit, so I quickly turned it back to normal. I never really had issues with playing with borders (maybe playing PAL games brainwashed me).

I could totally be remembering wrong here, but I believe you need to give CRTs some time after you've rotated them. I don't know if that was just an old wives tale or if it was a real thing, but I remember it was always said you need to give a set 30 minutes after rotating it before turning it on.

I could totally be remembering wrong here, but I believe you need to give CRTs some time after you've rotated them. I don't know if that was just an old wives tale or if it was a real thing, but I remember it was always said you need to give a set 30 minutes after rotating it before turning it on.

I think you're confusing your tv with your fridge lol

"The only negative side-effect of tate-ing your television (besides rare but possible internal damage) is the phenomenon of a 'green screen' or skewed colors. This is a physical manefestation of the earths magnetic field on the CRT (Cathode Ray Tube- the screen). In order for a color TV to display the proper colors, the CRT needs to be 'degaused' or demagnetized. Inside your TV, around the perimeter of the screen, there is a thick cable called a 'Degaussing coil". It demagnetizes the screen the moment you turn on the TV."

"The thing is, the TV gets degaussed RELATIVE to it's positioning in the earths magnetic field, so any changing of the television's position will have an effect on the screen. Sometimes, just changing a TV's lateral direction will make it go green. Also, OTHER magnetic fields exist, too. A loudspeaker or other stong magnetic source set next to a TV will screw it up. Also, the degaussing, or demagnefication, must be greater than whatever magnetized the TV in the first place.

And leaving your screen for 20-30 minutes is the equivalent of degaussing it if you don't have such manual controls.

IrishNinja

danm, that pic at the top of the page is baller

and i gotta look up & see one day if this PVM can do TATE, cause i care enough about my life to not be flipping this damn CRT

"The only negative side-effect of tate-ing your television (besides rare but possible internal damage) is the phenomenon of a 'green screen' or skewed colors. This is a physical manefestation of the earths magnetic field on the CRT (Cathode Ray Tube- the screen). In order for a color TV to display the proper colors, the CRT needs to be 'degaused' or demagnetized. Inside your TV, around the perimeter of the screen, there is a thick cable called a 'Degaussing coil". It demagnetizes the screen the moment you turn on the TV."

"The thing is, the TV gets degaussed RELATIVE to it's positioning in the earths magnetic field, so any changing of the television's position will have an effect on the screen. Sometimes, just changing a TV's lateral direction will make it go green. Also, OTHER magnetic fields exist, too. A loudspeaker or other stong magnetic source set next to a TV will screw it up. Also, the degaussing, or demagnefication, must be greater than whatever magnetized the TV in the first place.

And leaving your screen for 20-30 minutes is the equivalent of degaussing it if you don't have such manual controls.

I knew I wasn't crazy.

The way to play is tate. Its great regular but exquisite (and plays slightly differently) in tate. I would own a SS just to play it alone.
Tate is king, Tate is life.
i want to turn my BVM sideways but i'd have to turn it back for the rest of my titles so i need to get a 2nd CRT dedicated for Tate.

played some Layer Section today and love it. i feel the shots and shot level ups are much more distinct or significant vs. Ray Storm. in Ray Storm honestly couldn't tell the difference between shot power ups. i honestly felt the missile/secondary weapon was more important.

in Layer Section, shots felt more important as the air to air enemies could not be locked onto for secondary weapons like Raystorm. making the normal shots very essential to the gameplay.

Yes Boss!

Just degausss and carry on. No biggie.

been playing alot of Layer Section.

the game is pretty challenging. i can get to area 5 but lose all my continues by then.
i haven't been able to progress beyond that.

sarcoa

Soooo anyone ever seen a Saturn break like this? (eight second video) https://youtu.be/wWErF_dK1p4

It powers on, emits a deep bass noise, then flashes the TV screen. Disc never starts spinning. Tried two different power cables and three different video cables on three different televisions. Minor variations of the same result.

It worked with zero issues before today.

Khaz

Soooo anyone ever seen a Saturn break like this? (eight second video) https://youtu.be/wWErF_dK1p4

It powers on, emits a deep bass noise, then flashes the TV screen. Disc never starts spinning. Tried two different power cables and three different video cables on three different televisions. Minor variations of the same result.

It worked with zero issues before today.

Dead power supply? I'm assuming the main board isn't powered enough to display stuff, and the drive motor does that weird noise trying to centre the lens without enough current.

Open it and check its caps.

colonyoo

Some neat pickups that arrived over the course of the month:

DJpTrT_VAAE4IVy.jpg

I heard nice enough things about these that I went and picked em up! The quality of the packaging is a lot nicer than I was prepared for? Unexpectedly nice cardboard.

DKNS_8qUEAAzhBO.jpg

The Virtua Cop-style sections in Yakuza 0 and Kiwami inspired me to look these up,
and I ended up jumping on what seemed like a pretty nice price for the gun and game all in one. I never got to play too many lightgun games, so I'm having fun credit feeding like crazy trying to get a feel for it!

DJunYAYVYAA29-k.jpg

VC2 is an obvious pickup but Jung Rhythm is something I've wanted to just physically have for a while,
it's endearingly not-great, it's Parappa the Ripoff, pretty clearly capitalizing on an audience who picked the wrong console that generation.
I like collecting interesting Saturn stuff that doesn't exist on any other console, and alongside liking rhythm games, it hit a soft spot. Check it out if you want, it's uh...
something.

It was also nice enough to include a lyrics sheet!
DJunYAdVwAE6rWE.jpg

You gotta believe!

Khaz

hey SaturnGAF,
is Necronomicon a fun game? anyone own it?

Oh yeah, best pinball game of the console, of the generation, and probably best until Pinball FX.

I kind of prefer Digital pinball 97 to it, if only because I'm not a fan of the dark horror atmosphere for a pinball game. Both are on the same engine so it's only a matter of what tables you like more. Very solid realistic pinball game.

IrishNinja

I have one if those too. Great set. I haven't used it as a TATE myself but have seen it done by others.

shit yeah! nice to know i have the option. it was a gift from a former manager of gamestop that's a friend of mine, dude had it calibrated (he's one of those AVS forum type folks) and then ordered a BVM so had no use for it

piggychan

sigh. My Saturn has developed a fault today. It keeps powering off every around 5 minutes of turning on. I can't turn it back on straight away but certainly it can power on and load up a game after waiting a few minutes which kinda suggests to me it might not be serious... *touch wood*

Was just getting back into playing STHA

Top Bottom