• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA is keeping the progression systems for those who want an "accelerated experience"

Red Comet

This is semi-acceptable for a single player experience, a la Assassins Creed, but I will never pay full retail price for a game that is pay to win. I don’t have time to keep up with the players who want an “accelerated experience” through gameplay nor do I have the money or desire to pay keep up with them. I have no intention of playing or spending money on a game where the playing field is always going to be unequal due to some players having a bigger wallet than me. And it’s such a shame because I would be so down for Battlefront 2 otherwise.

MilkyJoe

I see no problem with this. People seem to under the impression that we can make all these shitty elements that you've let happen for the last decade come to a complete halt. EA made a huge decision to make thier game better, and if we don't support that, we are basically saying to EA that making good decisions will only bite them in the ass. This is something that will have to be gradual, it won't end over night.

Support them now, show them we appreciate them taking the P2W completely out. This will support non-P2W games moving forward...

Either you work for EA or you came down in the last shower.

Just remove permanent health/damage upgrades then I'm fine with it... it's either this or pay for maps/season pass, which I fucking hate.

BANGS

Banned
Either you work for EA or you came down in the last shower.

Sorry I don't let myself be blinded by hatred. It's a gift, don't be jelly...

Also UPDATE: Reddit labels topic title misleading as it's only speculation. Awwww...

Levelcap claims that the CEO of Disney called the CEO of EA and that after that call EA released their press release.

Apparently there is evidence that Disney forced EA to make this move.

So they didn't listen to their fan base after all. They listen to Disney's CEO

i-Lo

I see no problem with this. People seem to under the impression that we can make all these shitty elements that you've let happen for the last decade come to a complete halt. EA made a huge decision to make thier game better, and if we don't support that, we are basically saying to EA that making good decisions will only bite them in the ass. This is something that will have to be gradual, it won't end over night.

Support them now, show them we appreciate them taking the P2W completely out. This will support non-P2W games moving forward...

First OT & now here. You're one of the more subtle trolls I've encountered in a while. With GAF's moderation system now being obfuscated, you and your ilk ought to thrive here for a long time.

BANGS

Banned
First OT & now here. You're one of the more subtle trolls I've encountered in a while. With GAF's moderation system now being obfuscated, you and your ilk ought to thrive here for a long time.

STFU with that garbage. Dissenting opinions are not trolling, and I'm glad that all the pretentious kids that couldn't handle that have all left... Well, most of them...

JTCx

Sorry I don't let myself be blinded by hatred. It's a gift, don't be jelly...

Also UPDATE: Reddit labels topic title misleading as it's only speculation. Awwww...

You talk about being blinded.

Irony too good.

BANGS

Banned
You talk about being blinded.

Irony too good.

Do you actually believe the irrational views around here come from eyes unclouded? Do you think yourself superior because you now know that EA is scum, something any hardcore gamer knew since 1999? Please...

You must have a great sense of pride and accomplishment.

LOLCats

Banned
These slow progression systems to encourage purchasing things to advance faster actually causes me to not want to play that game at all.

Ive quit a couple now because of it. I aint buying this bf2 shit. I want to play the campaign, maybe i can rent it.

Ya avalable at all the redboxes. Let me see if i have a free game rental coupon

Redbox 1.50$ off. PE8SB36AKT

These slow progression systems to encourage purchasing things to advance faster actually causes me to not want to play that game at all.

Ive quit a couple now because of it. I aint buying this bf2 shit. I want to play the campaign, maybe i can rent it.

Ya avalable at all the redboxes. Let me see if i have a free game rental coupon

Redbox 1.50$ off. PE8SB36AKT

I'm at this point too, and it is not even a protest. I really don't like grindy progressions systems. I like variety in play styles. I want to be able to jump between multiple classes based on the current needs of the match. P2W progression systems are a detriment to that.

I forget where I heard the analogy, but someone stated that this P2W fad will blow up like the plastic musical instrument one did. Guitar Hero like games were hot for awhile and brought in a lot of easy money, but then publishers got greedy and overdid it. Now it's a dead genre. The fact is that gameplay is now being designed around features that players don't want. Developers are actively making their games worse, and that will have long term negative consequences.

LOLCats

Banned
I'm at this point too, and it is not even a protest. I really don't like grindy progressions systems. I like variety in play styles. I want to be able to jump between multiple classes based on the current needs of the match. P2W progression systems are a detriment to that.

I forget where I heard the analogy, but someone stated that this P2W fad will blow up like the plastic musical instrument one did. Guitar Hero like games were hot for awhile and brought in a lot of easy money, but then publishers got greedy and overdid it. Now it's a dead genre. The fact is that gameplay is now being designed around features that players don't want. Developers are actively making their games worse, and that will have long term negative consequences.

Yep booster packs piss me off.

Im going to play this campaign tho, just picked up at redbox for 1.50$. It feels like im sticking it to the man, butbits really not lol. Anyway i was going buy the game, i think even in my post history i said i wa going but it at 30$, then 20$, then 5$. Now its Fuck it rent and throw away.

BANGS

Banned
You must have a great sense of pride and accomplishment.

Since i have little faith they will actually overhaul the entire progression system, i'm just hoping they drop the credit cost of crates down to practically nothing, and just charge crystals for cosmetic stuff. That would be cool with me...

ReBurn

Gold Member
Since i have little faith they will actually overhaul the entire progression system, i'm just hoping they drop the credit cost of crates down to practically nothing, and just charge crystals for cosmetic stuff. That would be cool with me...

Progression systems in multi-player games generally suck to me. Progression should be achieved through improving skill in playing the game, not through power boosts and access to more powerful weapons as you spend more time playing. Getting better stuff through random loot drops is not progression.

BANGS

Banned
Progression systems in multi-player games generally suck to me. Progression should be achieved through improving skill in playing the game, not through power boosts and access to more powerful weapons as you spend more time playing. Getting better stuff through random loot drops is not progression.

Oh I agree completely. This is why I prefer games like halo 2 over halo 4...

But since progression is here already, they gotta do something. Or just unlock everything right off the bat, that'd be cool too I guess...

Masonica33

Neo Member
Don't buy this game. They're literally only pushing this as hard because they know that people have a moronic nostalgia for a sub-par sci-fi children's movie from 45 fucking years ago.

They're banking on everyone being less discerning because it has the mythical Star Wars name attached. Don't fall for it. Don't buy this shit.

BANGS

Banned
Don't buy this game. They're literally only pushing this as hard because they know that people have a moronic nostalgia for a sub-par sci-fi children's movie from 45 fucking years ago.

They're banking on everyone being less discerning because it has the mythical Star Wars name attached. Don't fall for it. Don't buy this shit.

While I don't completely share your sentiments, you do have a point. Take away the Star Wars skin, and this is just another shooter, and not a very great one. It's decent for sure and has impressive graphics, but gameplay is just... average.

I'll go as far as to say that microtransactions are the natural progression of the progression system popularized by Call of Duty 4. After cod4, we got an adaptation of the level up system in Overwatch, giving you loot crates per level up. Ea just tried to capitalize and evolve that even further. I seen this coming years ago.

Top Bottom