• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tearaway |OT| Super Iota 64

Shufel

I really, really like this game. It feels like it has a new idea every 5 minutes or so. I seriously haven't played any thing this creative in a long time and it's a tragedy that this won't do well in sales. It's a game that just keeps on giving. I hope everybody that owns a Vita buys this.

Flunkie

Banned
I played the demo last night (seems you have to search for it in the US store) and that was a mistake. My copy won't be here til Tuesday.

THE SQUIRREL, OMG

The cuteness overload...

co1onel

Finished it just now and feeling all of the feels. What a wonderful, special game. It deserves all the praise it's received and I hope it's a big success.

Ya I thought it was just going to be a cute little platformer, I didn't actually expect it to get emotional like that at the end. I had no idea that the message could be that.

i'm loving this game. but i already feel its short. i havent played it that long and im at 43%. i'm pretty sure i've only missed 1 present so far too.

honestly the touch stuff doesnt make this game, its the great platforming.

i'd seriously get tearaway 2 on Ps4 if it came. just hoping for a much longer and bigger world. i'm thinking mario 64.

also, the small challenges where you help people are way too easy.. "put a tie on me". seriously? its no effort at all..

Made a couple more. Will eventually finish this game sometime xD

7b3c9b01abb05667bcd6bd8322fd691bb94b36bb.jpg

Zaku - http://tearaway.me/p/xqwa

d6ad8904cdd5f73c9bb7a143ce7cad9e69ef6b05.jpg

Samus Atoi
lets just assume it's Atoi and not Iota :p
- http://tearaway.me/p/zm3h

Grisby

Finished the game myself just a few minutes ago. Definitely had a feel-good ending. The music and visuals stay strong throughout.Gonna have to go back in for more presents.

Tearaway was a short but memorable experience for me. I have a couple of complaints but the biggest one was that it took a while for the game to get a little challenging and even then it was still relatively easy (compared to LBP). I could have done with a lot more platforming as well and maybe some more tools.

Still, it was a great game and I'm glad that it used so many of the Vita's features well. Might have to write a few more thoughts about it later.

I'm just playing the demo right now. My impressions:

What the fuck?

Seriously MM, I've enjoyed LBP 1/2. But honestly, I hope you never make another one again. Sony may have just found their Mario. This game is filled with charm, style and novel uses of AR. I was holding off on purchasing this game because I binged out on PS4, but hell.. I have to buy this game at full price, right now.

Obviously I haven't played much.. but I'm feeling like this just deserve an all caps GOOD ASS JOB!

Just wanted to say, you all are damn lucky and Im a bit envious. My copy hasnt even arrived, the plight of living in Asia :C Doesnt help that I have exams coming up.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Donkey show, you a beast! Good stuff.
This game, the member impressions...I said god damn. Major hats off to MM & everyone involved. Bring us more gems like this please.

I'm just playing the demo right now. My impressions:

What the fuck?

Seriously MM, I've enjoyed LBP 1/2. But honestly, I hope you never make another one again. Sony may have just found their Mario. This game is filled with charm, style and novel uses of AR. I was holding off on purchasing this game because I binged out on PS4, but hell.. I have to buy this game at full price, right now.

Obviously I haven't played much.. but I'm feeling like this just deserve an all caps GOOD ASS JOB!
It's on Amazon right now for $30.

My Vita GOTY. The game is absolutely magical I every aspect. It literally gives me that feeling of being a kid and waking up on Christmas morning to play with your favorite toy. Tearaway is that toy.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I doubt this is much of a spoiler about the very end, but:

The little end diorama got me kind of weepy, the music plus just seeing all the things you crafted into the game was unexpectedly emotional, man. I really see this as MM's Journey, with a lot more traditional gamey things inserted.

potam

Banned
God. Everything about this game oozes creativity and imagination. I'm only a few levels in, but this game definitely warrants my Vita purchase.

Few questions:

Are the little confetti pieces you collect used for anything other than camera stuff + personalization stuff?

About how long is the game?

Grisby

God. Everything about this game oozes creativity and imagination. I'm only a few levels in, but this game definitely warrants my Vita purchase.

Few questions:

Are the little confetti pieces you collect used for anything other than camera stuff + personalization stuff?

About how long is the game?
Nope, just that. I think I finished it in about 6 or 7 hours,

Elvick

Banned
I think the game is awesome. My new favorite PS Vita (previous was Gravity Rush).

There was more platforming than I thought there would be in the game. I was surprised by the voice over story telling as well. I think the information they put out in trailers was good, it left a lot of things out that makes the game great.

It was interesting to see them drop certain things, like trying to trap windigos. And seemingly losing focus on them in general.

fernoca

I need one of those iota keyrings/phone charms/whatevers!! Preordered, but there weren't any around here. :(

Anyone willing to trade one for DJmax Technika Tune (retail/Vita)?

Playing the demo i lured a scrap near me as i stood at the edge and it goes to jump at me and move over and off the cliff it goes. Haha

krioto

Just finished the story this morning - absolutely fantastic. Loved the premise, the setting and the story. Sony need to run with this - I want open world sequels!

Going to try and platinum this one - so much fun exploring this fantastically created world.

Rayjee

I went to Best Buy today to pick up SMW3D, ALBW, and Tearaway. I found the former games without a problem, but when checking the extremely small Vita section, Tearaway was no where in site. At first I thought it might have sold out, but after asking a Best Buy worker to check (of course this was the first time he had heard of the game) it turns out their shipment of five copies was still sitting in the back warehouse, yet to be put out on the shelves. That kind of pisses me off. The game is already fighting such an uphill battle, and stores can't even bother to put it out on the shelves on release date. How long would it have taken for them to put it out on the shelves before I asked? After Black Friday?

Anyways, I'm excited to start playing. I have an exam on Monday so I probably won't boot it up until Tuesday, but I'll be making sure to bring my Vita when I go home for Thanksgiving break!

I recently got my job at Best Buy and I've been trying my very best to show off Tearaway. We do have a mini Vita section that I'm occasionally asked to point out. I want Tearaway to succeed--I sold two Vitas today and three copies of the game. I had managed to get a pair of the charms from Gamestop to wear on my Playstation lanyard--if they don't catch people's attention, my Wheatly key chain usually does, and I point out the charms, talking to them about the game. I realize that I can only do so much--three games aren't much, but the more I talk about the Vita and such, other people hear my conversations and word of mouth may make a difference--albeit small.

Draper

Blah. I wish I had the funds to buy a vita and pick this game up. I love MM's past projects. Someone lend me their game and system damnit! :p

AEREC

I wonder how many people on GAF have picked all three of those games recently. Seems to be the trifecta at the moment.

Picked up all three of these as well...enjoying ALBW the most. Tearaway is great and unique as well. Only enjoying it in small doses though.

soultron

Banned
The ending almost choked me up. The build up to the end was great. Definitely going to go for the Platinum. It's early to say, but I think it's one of my favourite games of all time. The music, visuals, and small touches make it a lot extremely memorable experience. It has its flaws, mainly some wonky camera angles and weird back panel touch controls, but it's a great showpiece of the Vita and all of its unique features.

My GF, who doesn't play games at all, actually started playing it and all I keep hearing is "WOW!" and "OH MY GOD THAT'S SO CUTE!" mixed in with laughter. She gets freaked out anytime Scraps appear too. Really interesting how she's gotten a handle on controlling a fairly complex 3D game like this. She's playing as Atoi and already made it about 25% through!

Just finished this. What a lovely game! I haven't smiled that much at a video game in ages. Ending even got me a little misty eyed.

Here's a few of my photos from my journey!
bc444277982a7a58277a6e971e7fb6ecfdca9aae.jpg

My animu piggy

55d6eb53f110295773e6accc3513e6a5f7f490f9.jpg

My deer's hologram texture from my Jem DVD boxset!

d271bdd5ef50b74cc191102a98b3359fcde00609.jpg

My first try at a crown

02f030eb5e7f4d902559e1506e5fb394720f45b0.jpg

My most current Iota

Just bought the game yesterday digitally. Love it so far, MM have done it again. It's like I'm playing LBP for the first time.

I'm backing up the game to my MacBook, and it has the game labeled as Tearaway (trial&unlock) is this ok?

I mean I bought it so it shouldn't have trial and unlock, or is this normal?

Thanks.

co1onel

Has anyone else noticed that there is a hidden heart on the inside part of Iota? Its non-removable too.

He may be made of paper, but he has a heart ;)

Just bought the game yesterday digitally. Love it so far, MM have done it again. It's like I'm playing LBP for the first time.

I'm backing up the game to my MacBook, and it has the game labeled as Tearaway (trial&unlock) is this ok?

I mean I bought it so it shouldn't have trial and unlock, or is this normal?

Thanks.
Thats normal- enjoy

Elvick

Banned
I went to Best Buy today to pick up SMW3D, ALBW, and Tearaway. I found the former games without a problem, but when checking the extremely small Vita section, Tearaway was no where in site. At first I thought it might have sold out, but after asking a Best Buy worker to check (of course this was the first time he had heard of the game) it turns out their shipment of five copies was still sitting in the back warehouse, yet to be put out on the shelves. That kind of pisses me off. The game is already fighting such an uphill battle, and stores can't even bother to put it out on the shelves on release date. How long would it have taken for them to put it out on the shelves before I asked? After Black Friday?

Anyways, I'm excited to start playing. I have an exam on Monday so I probably won't boot it up until Tuesday, but I'll be making sure to bring my Vita when I go home for Thanksgiving break!
That always happens to me when I go to retailers, especially Best Buy (I live in Canada, which doesn't really help from my experience compared to when I lived in the US).

That's why I just pre-order everything online now instead of bothering with going to a store. If I order from ebgames, they ship it for free and it almost always ships the day prior to release, and then the delivery comes the day after (launch day!). Only problem is that I have to be there to get it, but it's usually not a problem.

It's why I'm so against digital only localizations, those do nothing to help the PS Vita's presence at retail (or any system really). And retailers' odd choices of stock, and borderline lazy employees don't help either.

It's a shame that games like Tearaway, which are already fighting an uphill battle, are hurt even more by retail's archaic ways of doing things.

Top Bottom