• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1-2 HD. Summer 2012 $15

I'm gonna miss the soundtrack too guys, but I'll just put on headphones and listen to the music on my laptop while playing if it comes down to it.

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
I will definitely get this just for the nostalgia and the fun. Yeah, it's sad that the music for the two games isn't included. But for $20, it's a good deal. Just get the original music off amazon and you're good to go. I wouldn't play without it.

So this does or doesn't have the original soundtrack? That is a dealbreaker for me.

It's better to assume that the original soundtrack isn't happening. Just look at Crazy Taxi. As me and many other people have said, there are ways to listen to the original tunes while playing. Honestly, the only thing that I miss that isn't being included are Reverts. But that only means that instead of doing one long trick string for 2M points, I have to do a few smaller strings worth ~1M points instead.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It's better to assume that the original soundtrack isn't happening. Just look at Crazy Taxi. As me and many other people have said, there are ways to listen to the original tunes while playing. Honestly, the only thing that I miss that isn't being included are Reverts. But that only means that instead of doing one long trick string for 2M points, I have to do a few smaller strings worth ~1M points instead.
If there's no reverts, there better not be grind/lip trick/manual switches. That shit ruined the game.

Revert as in a manual out of a trick?

If the soundtrack is the main reason, why don't you guys just go buy the soundtrack? Probably cheaper.
Because, as has been said before, I don't want a half-assed remake. No soundtrack, no buy.

bengraven

Wait, so the soundtrack won't be the SAME or there literally won't be a soundtrack? As in just instrumental?

I don't care as long as they have a few of the original songs. Frankly, I only played TH2+ so the only experience I had with TH1 was THX on Xbox. So no nostalgia there.

Please tell me create a skater and create a park are in at least...

there better not be any manuals for the th1 levels

Read the article. They're in.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I don't care about the songs even though I loved them.
I know music licensing is tough. I just want to play some classic TH.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Revert as in a manual out of a trick?

Because, as has been said before, I don't want a half-assed remake. No soundtrack, no buy.

"Somebody told me there's other trees in this forest but I didn't believe that bullshit for a second"

Megasoum

Banned
This is all you really need! I'm playing right now and having a blast. Original physics, original music, ok graphics, tons of fun!

1275573-thps2x_us_xbox_front.jpg

Chavelo

I want the soundtrack or else I'm not buying. For me, personally, it is a dealbreaker. I don't see what there is to discuss?

Buy the soundtrack, then. For 20 bucks, I don't think Activision will bother to pony up the money.

Soundtrack was fantastic, but it was just a part of the whole package.

MMaRsu

Banned
Posted?

Hey gang just wanted to give everyone a quick update with some overall Q&A for Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD:

What are the controls like?
No peripherals (ie, plastic skateboards). The game is played with the controller with analog sticks. The goal is to keep the feel the same as the classic THPS games. You can also play with only the button controls, like on the original PsOne controller.

Will there be online play?
Yes. Look out for details in a few weeks.

Will the game feature the original soundtracks?
Some of the songs, but definitely not all of them.

Will the game be available on disc to buy in stores?
No. It will be for download only via Xbox LIVE and PlayStation Network.

Will the game be coming to PC/iPhone/iPad/3DS?
There are no plans at the moment to bring the game to these systems, but things could change!

How much will the game cost?
About $15.

Will there be reverts in the game?
No, reverts will not be part of trick combos. You can still ride switch of course, but reverts can not be added to combos.

Will there be manuals in the game?
Yes.

Will there be walking and/or spraypainting in the game?
No.

Will there be post-release DLC?
No details on DLC yet. Stay tuned.

When is the game coming out?
Mid summer 2012.

Source

So yes to DLC ( obviously, milk that cashcow Activision! ) and no to original OST.

More importantly, he sees Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD as more than a sloppy cash-in on nostalgia. "The dream for me is to release this as the base line for other best-of levels," said Hawk, "but mostly so we can set a foundation and release new stuff."

Hawk knows all to well that "the skate genre is almost nonexistent" these days. What better time to bring it back, and in what better form than the one that started it all?

Hawk envisions Robomodo's extensive remake of the first two Pro Skater games as a seed, a stepping stone, and a platform. "I want to release all new levels and not just live in the past like this...new skaters, new tricks, things like that, and release them as digital content so they're affordable," said Hawk.

As it stands, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD brings a bit of new along with its old. Seven classic courses return alongside five unannounced multiplayer modes. Robomodo told IGN to expect the staples (come on, HORSE) in addition to some original additions. School II, Mall, Hanger, Warehouse, and Marseille are among Pro Skater HD's included levels, but the inclusion of Downhill Jam is one close to Hawk's heart.

It's elements like this that make Pro Skater HD stand out. This isn't just a straight port of old levels -- it's a fully remade game using the original code as a jumping-off point. But Neversoft's original designs still hold up, and Robomodo's tweaks to the classics' formula -- such as faster skating, additional goals, more responsive controls, and improved physics -- better equip players to explore them. Just like old times, only better.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD is the start of what Hawk hopes to be another trend in skateboarding games. Of course it's meant to remind long-time fans that this series still rules, despite recent entries unsuccessful new ideas, and that there's enough life left in it to facilitate a future. If Pro Skater HD takes off, Hawk may yet realize his dream of infusing the old formula with original stages.

More importantly, this could be what brings the genre back from its recently discovered grave. "[In a few years] I would love to still be here and take advantage of new consoles as they come," Hawk said, "including Wii-U and whatever else they have in the pipe."

tony-hawks-pro-skater6qqcx.jpg

tony-hawks-pro-skaterotr4n.jpg

tony-hawks-pro-skaterwhpu8.jpg

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/122/1223077p1.html

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
God. I need this game.

EYEL1NER

1200MSP/$15 sounds good, but I am disappointed that there is no soundtrack talk in that interview.
And what is with Robomodo making the skaters faster? I thought the game was going to be exactly the same?

btkadams

kinda bummed that the revert isn't in, but simplicity is great too. i loved the first two games, so i'm cool with this.

to be honest, i felt the gameplay was perfect in thps4/thug, and quickly fell apart in the later games.

Hawk envisions Robomodo's extensive remake of the first two Pro Skater games as a seed, a stepping stone, and a platform. "I want to release all new levels and not just live in the past like this...new skaters, new tricks, things like that, and release them as digital content so they're affordable," said Hawk.

Holy shit, this is exactly what I was hoping for.

Seik

Banned
I really, really hope Superman by Goldfinger will be in there, the soundtrack was one of the most memorable parts of THPS. Definitely a dealbreaker for me, please at least have this song! D:

Anyway I have no problem playing with the old stuff, I mean look at how beast Tony looks on emulator, no need for remakes with this:

gX1mg.png

:p

Downhill Jam at night with all the stars is a great way to bring back a classic in a new light. I was expecting it to be the same day time setting so that's a nice new surprise for me!

Also everyone clamoring for the original soundtrack, not really a problem for me. The THPS series had such a strong influence on my music tastes and I already own nearly all the songs from it anyways, so as long as they have custom soundtrack I'm good.

Can't wait to see what multiplayer modes they include. Horse is great but I'm more looking forward to the epicness that would come from say an 8 player round of Graffiti.

RODNEY MULLEN

TONY HAWK

WHO THE FUCK IS THAT 3RD GUY

Yeah, who is that . . .

duh.png

Come on, you have to admit you feel stupid right now =P

Jtrizzy

are people really going to play this with analog sticks? I can understand if you are 360 only, but even then I'd probably get some kind of 3rd party solution with a decent D-Pad. I'll get this for PS3, and if it ever comes to PC.

btkadams

are people really going to play this with analog sticks? I can understand if you are 360 only, but even then I'd probably get some kind of 3rd party solution with a decent D-Pad. I'll get this for PS3, and if it ever comes to PC.

i'll never be able to play ssx or tony hawk with analog sticks. it's so unnatural to me for some reason.

I'm getting SSX vibes about this game. ie, new team working on a classic franchise, thinks it's got it's own ideas to make it better, and ends up fucking some thngs up and pissing off a very hardcore fanbase.

I'm already wondering why they'd make the downhill jam level set at night. Makes no sense. Unless they offer multiple times of day. :-/

Top Bottom