• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Live Arcade (XBLA) News and Announcements Thread - 2012 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaspode_T

Tried the Scarygirl demo and pulled the trigger for 800 pts, I thought it would be yet another puzzle platformer but it's more like a straight up platformer with lots of butt kicking which is more up my alley lately. I like that you collect gems and upgrade moves/buy stuff. The music is great, voice acting is okay (not Bastion level but basically mostly a narrator who is kind of telling story), story is weird enough to make me want to figure out what the heck is going on. The only control gripe I have is that sometimes it's tricky to swing from hook to hook, but the trick is to not spaz out on buttons and it's fine. If those sections weren't a little tricky the game would probably be too easy.

I also have Haunt ready to try out, don't really know what to expect for that one but that the creator of Parappa the Rappa made it.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Any news as to what this week's deals will be? I'm getting a little burnt out on the Rockstar stuff.

TheOddOne

Trials Evolution 'leaked online'
Redlynx's next XBLA game out in the wild, report suggests

A pirated version of Redlynx’s successor to Trials HD has leaked onto file-sharing websites, reports suggest.

The long-awaited Trials Evolution is said to have appeared on multiple file-sharing websites over the weekend. Some who downloaded the game have apparently posted gameplay videos on YouTube, according to Eurogamer.

Present availability of the download file, and how it was leaked, is unknown. Trials Evolution is due for an Xbox Live Arcade release at some stage this year.

In 2009, Redlynx CEO Tero Virtalathe made an extraordinary confession that the studio deliberately leaked one of its games to various torrent sites.

Virtala claimed that studios can benefit from piracy if it is used as a marketing tool.

"Piracy is here, so how can we take advantage of that,” Virtala said at the 2009 Develop in Liverpool conference.

“What we did actually, on day one, we put [the PC edition of Trials] immediately on all the torrent networks ourselves."

Redlynx has since been purchased by Ubisoft.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Bastion for 600MSP in case you missed it when it was on sale last month. Personally, I nabbed it for 600 and I didn't really like it. The miscellaneous sales lately have sucked as much as this month's DotW's. Hopefully next month's deals will be better (I'm hoping the Castlevania: Lords of Shadow add-ons go on sale).
Bastian again so soon? Guess I should finally sit down and play it. Bought it during the Christmas sale and haven't really been drawn back to it. I don't find the combat to be very interesting, and the only hook you hear about is the narration, which I reacted to with "Yep, there's narration. That's nice."

When do these sales typically start? I'm looking on Xbox.com right now and Bastion is still 1200 MSP.
Tuesday.

xbox-live-logo1-588x242.jpg

whoops..that will teach me to skim read.
If the game has been leaked already im sure that may stir things up with the release date.
Game looks awesome.

Plasma

Banned
So I want to buy NFL Blitz but live in the UK, are there any legit sites that I can buy instant US point cards from?

A Friday XBLA release, eh?

The game is a poor beat 'em up anyway, it lives on brand nostalgia only.

It does have a cool piece of Simpsons history/trivia hidden in it, though. I believe it is the only Simpsons media/item released that shows that at one point, Marge was supposed to be a Life in Hell rabbit in disguise (her ears were under her hair).

Is Crimson Alliance any good? I enjoyed Torchlight and got the same vibe from this..

I'd demo it, but I'd say the 3 character pack is worth 800 for sure. I regret buying it at 1200 though as I doubt I'll play it again as another character anytime soon but that could just be me.

For those wondering, 800 is still too much for Bloodrayne, steer well clear.

eso76

How bizarre to put Shank on sale the week Shank 2 comes out.

i just tried shank 1 this week for the first time and i was considering buying it, until i saw the sequel comes out like..tomorrow ? Going to buy that instead.

Not a fan of the gratuitous gore and flash graphics style, but it's very well done, very responsive and playable.
I'm surprised it's not more popular. Or maybe it is and i missed that..

Unrelated...i am alive is a XBLA release ? i missed that too.
Looks very interesting

Vert boil

How bizarre to put Shank on sale the week Shank 2 comes out.

It would have been odd if they reduced it to sub 800 as that could have drawn attention away from #2. If someone bought #2, liked it and then went to check the first and it was 1200 they'd likely be turned off instead of double dipping.

I'd guess all of the arcade reductions are permanent apart from the DOTW and Lara Croft. It would bring them in line with MS recent decision to return to 800 as the standard price.

eso76. Yep XBLA but it was originally planned as a disc release.

Over 100 pieces of Gotham Coty Imposters DLC went up for a game that isn't even out yet. Joy.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-GB/P...80258410a65?downloadType=GameAddon&noSplash=1

105 game keys for content that are already on the game....

So this is really the Team Fortress 2 customization for consoles. I would not mind if those prices were reasonable, but at US$ 1.50 to US$ 3.00 each piece, it would another full price game just to customize your character....

Edited:
Swarm is a price drop or DotW? It was released at 1200 MSP then reduced to 800 and now 400? I may grab it.

Crimson Alliance is worth at 800 MSP? If the deal was 600 MSP I would be all over it.

legbone

did they ever fix the freezing problems nba jam was having? i have been waiting on it to go to 800 but if it's still freezing, i'll pass.

Isn't swarm supposed to be kind of... crap?

No Swarm is pretty good. I found the games biggest problem was it forces you to get a big score in a level to open the next, and if you get stuck it is a god damn chore to try and get past that level to get to the next. The game is overall pretty clever, with a good look, and unique style.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Apparently the official deals of the week are for a shooter week:

Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project
Was: 800 Microsoft Points
Now: 400 Microsoft Points

Space Invaders: Infinity Gene

Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2

Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter
Was: 1200 Microsoft Points

Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter

Galaga Legions

Previous deals must be February's permanent price drops.

Apparently the official deals of the week are for a shooter week:

Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project

Space Invaders: Infinity Gene

Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2

Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter

Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter

Galaga Legions

Previous deals must be February's permanent price drops.

None of those are reduced to me. And Crimson Alliance is showing as Gold Only for me.

Are you sure that those deals are this week deals? Could be the next week deals.

None of those are reduced to me. And Crimson Alliance is showing as Gold Only for me.

Are you sure that those deals are this week deals? Could be the next week deals.

Yeah, it would be strange that Tomb Raider would be dropped to 600 permanently.

NBA Jam for 800 is still too high. At 600 I would have pounced.

So... Swarm maybe. Haven't heard that much about it.

I'd demo it, but I'd say the 3 character pack is worth 800 for sure. I regret buying it at 1200 though as I doubt I'll play it again as another character anytime soon but that could just be me.

For those wondering, 800 is still too much for Bloodrayne, steer well clear.
It dropped to 600 a few weeks ago, and I still felt it was too sloppy as a 2d sidescroller for me to pick it up.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Bloodrayne: Betrayal - 800msp
Crimson Alliance: All Class Pack - 800msp (Gold DOTW)
--Individual pack 560msp each
Lara Croft: GoL - 600msp
--DLC reduced to 200msp each and tat reduced as well
NBA Jam: On Fire Edition - 800msp (Gold DOTW)
Puzzle Arcade - 400msp
Shank - 800msp
Swarm 400msp

Deus Ex: Human Resources and Just Cause 2 DLC reduced as well - http://xbldb.com/offer-history/price-changes

I've been waiting on Swarm to drop. Nice.

Sweet, I'll have to pick up the Deus Ex DLC.

Curufinwe

Is Crimson Alliance any good? I enjoyed Torchlight and got the same vibe from this..

Shame that deal won't be active when I buy the new Alan Wake. I don't want to leave any MS Points in my account for security reasons, so I was looking for an 800 point game to go with American Nightmare's 1200 points.

I'll probably just get Pacman CE DX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom