• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

Ixian

In the past week my weight has been fluctuating from 222 lbs down to 217 lbs up to 222lbs again. It’s pretty disheartening. I’m going to try to only weigh myself once a week. Maybe once a Saturday in the morning after waking up.
IMO, the main issue with weighing once a week is what happens if weight fluctuations are not on your side on that one day? Weighing every day can be kind of stressful, but it helps you understand trends (weight going up if you ate more carbs, more sodium, or more volume). There are also apps (like Happy Scale on iOS or Libra on Android) that will smooth out your data for you. I use a Google spreadsheet to accomplish that same thing since it's cross-platform.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
WTH?! Now I'm up to 189.2. Sorta weird with how much I'm lifting and how little I'm eating. I can also tell I'm leaning out by looking in the mirror too. Just cooperate scale!

Montresor

IMO, the main issue with weighing once a week is what happens if weight fluctuations are not on your side on that one day? Weighing every day can be kind of stressful, but it helps you understand trends (weight going up if you ate more carbs, more sodium, or more volume). There are also apps (like Happy Scale on iOS or Libra on Android) that will smooth out your data for you. I use a Google spreadsheet to accomplish that same thing since it's cross-platform.

Thanks for the advice.

I’m really very happy with my progress. I’ve gone from 255 lbs to 217 lbs - 222 lbs (I won’t let that fluctuation get me down and I’ll follow your advice) and I’ve done it while continuing to eat foods I consider delicious. I’ve just been religiously putting every single thing I put in my body in the MyFitnessPal app. That plus walking for 45 mins after dinner every day, and doing dumbbell exercises, push-ups and sit-ups a couple of times a week.

I’ve lost so much weight so fast that I dialed down the app goals and chose “lose 1.5 lbs a week” instead of “lose 2 lbs a week” so I can eat a little more every day. And I think by November I’m going to add to my routine some visits to the gym to add/build muscle in the places that aren’t covered by push-ups, sit-ups and dumbbell exercises (so my legs I guess? I’ll have to look that up). And add running on the treadmill and doing some yoga to my routine.

I feel amazing and it is a great feeling to see my friends/family notice how much smaller my belly is. My chests/shoulder are still pretty big though. *shrug*

I’ve also never in my life (at 31 years old) had a girl call me sexy until I started my recent weight loss. I became intimate with a girl recently and she wouldn’t stop saying I was sexy... it felt weird/great.

I’m going to keep going and fingers crossed I hit my goals (which are very conservative) of dropping to 200lbs by this February and dropping to 175lbs by this August/September.

I never thought that this could happen, but I'm gaining strength while losing weight. I don't want to get huge, but I'd love to get ripped. I'm seeing a few rips here and there shyly showing. Also, when I touch my stomach now it's firm instead of flabby. How do I know I'm gaining strength? Well, each and every end of my routine, I try to do wide pull-ups. I'm slowly but surely lifting myself. I can reliably do 3x5 chin-ups now though, maybe more if I really tried. Small steps.

Doing my first powerlifting meet in April! I am super excited.

If I'm able to add ~60 pounds to my total before then I could qualify for USAPL nationals. feels good.

KillerBEA

Made up some of the stuff I skipped yesterday and because I wasn't pre exhausted from Deadlifts I could do significantly more with my accessory lifts. Makes me think I should do accessories on another day all the time.

Doing my first powerlifting meet in April! I am super excited.

If I'm able to add ~60 pounds to my total before then I could qualify for USAPL nationals. feels good.

Crush it! Look forward to hearing about your prep, and looking forward to hearing how you do at the meet.

week 2 progress

0aP6yb4.jpg

ILoveBish

Good session tonight, needed 120x3 on ohp, got 120x8 clean, great form on every lift. Tricep pulldown is going well, went up 20lbs and still super easy. Very good start. Let's do this brosephs.

Fe, you look incredible. Keep cutting.

doby

Long time lurker here, I've been put off posting because quite frankly my stats suck but anyway...

I've never been to a gym but instead workout at home. I have a pull-up bar, squat rack (which I also use for bench press) and obviously a barbell with a selection of weights. Ever since starting I've always done compound exercises, isolation stuff bores me and I always feel compounds seem more worthwhile.

I've got to a point where I feel my arms are looking a bit wimpy. I guess the only proper workout they get is pullups which I'm currently doing with bodyweight (75kg) + 25kg weights. Would curls be more effective or should I just stick with upping the weight with pullups? (bearing in mind I prefer doing compounds anyway). Or is there something else I could try?

Been MIA from the gym for two weeks with the flu.

Still have some chest congestion and my throat still hurts a bit. I think should be good to go on Monday.

On the bright side, I lost almost 7 pounds haha.

Since I'm competing at 90kg in April and I'm that weight right now I'm eating at maintenance every day now! lol

It is unbelievably nice tbh - i've been eating at a deficit several days a week for like a year. I have a bad habit of binging on the weekends tho so I stopped losing weight ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

ILoveBish

300x5 on deadlift nice and easy, 155x10 pendlay rows for 3 sets and 150x10 for 3 sets on lat pulldown. Everything was easy and felt really good. Truly, I haven't felt so good in a while. Lifting is so good for you, damn. Let's keep it going fam.

Doby, you look terrific. Keep it up.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I fell the fuck off, and I really hate how my body looks now. I need to step my shit up fitness-wise.
Everyone is getting back in the swing of things. You picked a good time to get back going. One day at a time. String together a week of lifting and you're golden.

lenovox1

Long time lurker here, I've been put off posting because quite frankly my stats suck but anyway...

I've never been to a gym but instead workout at home. I have a pull-up bar, squat rack (which I also use for bench press) and obviously a barbell with a selection of weights. Ever since starting I've always done compound exercises, isolation stuff bores me and I always feel compounds seem more worthwhile.

I've got to a point where I feel my arms are looking a bit wimpy. I guess the only proper workout they get is pullups which I'm currently doing with bodyweight (75kg) + 25kg weights. Would curls be more effective or should I just stick with upping the weight with pullups? (bearing in mind I prefer doing compounds anyway). Or is there something else I could try?

You don't do push ups? I have huge arms relative to my body size just from doing push-ups.

Try the 100 push up challenge protocol for at least a couple of weeks. You should notice some changes.

You look great, though. Your arms aren't puny at all.

doby

You don't do push ups? I have huge arms relative to my body size just from doing push-ups.

I do, narrow and wide but not 100 continuously (sounds crazy). I can feel the burn on my chest and shoulders far more than my arms when doing press-ups so I thought they weren't very arm centric.

I started doing dips recently, found them too easy with bodyweight so added more weight and managed to get golfers elbow by perhaps dipping too low (not sure). That screwed up a lot of things for a while, including press-ups. Strapped it up and continued on cautiously while scaling back the reps and I think as of this past week its healed so I can step things back up again.

Will work on the press-ups.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
M:160lbs @ 10 reps x 3 times
W:160lbs @ 10 reps x 3 times
F:164lbs @ 10 reps x 2 times
160lbs @ 10 reps x 1 times
130lbs @ 10 reps x 1 times

I’m pissed because I didn’t leave off on the note I wanted too... Until next time.

ILoveBish

bench continues to be my worst lift, but got 160x7 today, feel pretty good about that. I likely had 1-2 more in me but not ready to push myself yet. Feeling terrific about lifting again, so glad i found an opportunity.

BumRush

Hoping this site stays up, but just in case.

I don't use Twitter but will start to. Please put you Twitter names here so we can all stay in touch.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, guys. I can't handle that Slaent layout/interface... Would love to know if there is a Discord.

Top Bottom