• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In-N-Out Burgers not coming east. Steak N Shake still secretly the best.

geestack

Texas wins at food again and always. Especially fast food. It's amazing that we get In-N-Out, Shake Shack, Five Guys, Chick-Fil-A, Cane's, Chicken Express, Popeye's, KFC, AND Whataburger.

personally, i would switch out chicken express for golden chick but i'm here for this

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I paid $8.60 yesterday for a little cheesburgers and fries at Five Guys last night. One tasteless beef pattty.

Fuck Five Guys.

Fuck In n Out too. Open a distribution facility Pennsylvania. You can ship to NY, Ohio, New Jersey, Connecticut, Maryland, Michigan and Kentucky.

As a person who lives withing walking distance from five-guys and In n out I finally put that debate to end for myself last year when i had five guys for the first time. haven't been back since. More expensive for something nowhere as good.

Have tried the trio of In n Out, Five Guys and Shake Shack. As a Swede they blow the fast food chains we have on offer completely out of the water. The burger chains we got are Mcd, burger King and Max who doesnt even sell 100% beef patties. Instead Max has around 80% so its akin to sasuage patty lol, its garbage. We Also have smaller chains like Sibylla etc who also sell that shit meat...

Shake Shack and Five Guys have better patties than In n Out tho. I really like the thicker bagel like buns at In n Out and the animal style.

There are some decent burger places that has popped up in Sweden last 5+ years but it's pricy. Yes even pricier than a full meal at Five guys.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
I loved In-N-Out back when I lived near Pasadena back in the 90's, but Five Guys is fine for us east coast.

Also, Da Faq is this "least coast" business?

They def microwaved my fries when I asked for cheese on them. They put a slice of cheese on my fries and microwaved/threw them in a heater.

Garbage tier

h1nch

In Texas we have In-n-Out, Shake Shack, Five Guys, Culvers, and Whataburger. Talk about an embarrassment of riches.

Personally I love all of em, but In-n-Out is the best. Why? Because you can get a full meal for $7. The equivalent meal at Five Guys is gonna be like $15. And INO's ingredient quality is every bit as good. At times I crave FG's burger toppings and copious amounts of cajun fries, but I always end up feeling like death after eating there.

Nobody comes close to INO's combination of quality/price IMO. They're basically what McDonalds would be if it used non-shitty ingredients and still charged the same price.

Thats pretty good but its hard to beat Las Vegas for burgers.

• In n Out Burger
  • FatBurger
  • Shake Shack
    [*]Whataburger
  • Bobbys Burger Palace
  • Heart Attack Grill
  • Five Guys
  • Smashburger
  • Steak n Shake
  • Umami Burger
  • White Castle
  • Red Robin
  • Fuddruckers
  • Checkers/Rallys
  • Carls Jr/Hardees w/ Green Burrito
  • Sonic
  • Jack in the Box
  • McDonalds
  • Wendys
  • Burger King

Fake news.
There is not a Whataburger in Nevada, let alone Las Vegas.
Whataburger operates in 10 states, and Nevada isn't one of them

I paid $8.60 yesterday for a little cheesburgers and fries at Five Guys last night. One tasteless beef pattty.

Fuck Five Guys...

Fuck are you on about? Their patties are good, then you slap on some complimentary grilled onions, mushrooms, barbecue sauce + pickles and devour that shit. Plus their cajun fries are 10/10.

I hate those stupid 'All in one' found drink machines they have though. No I don't want cherry vanilla sprite or whatever the shit Frankenstein monstrosity you've got brewing in there.

Why are we even comparing them?!? A Five Guys burger is literally twice as expensive.

And three times better? You want cheap shit that is edible head to burger king.

yrba1

In-N-Out is alright. Like them a lot because they have an excellent company culture. One of the last strongholds in the fast-food service industry where flipping burgers can feel like a career rather than a job

They aren't missing all that much tbh

Yeah, In-N-Out has always been one of those things that I can't figure out how and why it gets so much praise. I mean, it's certainly better than places like McDonald's and Burger King but it's been surpassed by many other, less common places.

norm9

Why are we even comparing them?!? A Five Guys burger is literally twice as expensive.

East Coasters need an article to tell them that burgers should cost less than $20.

From Eater NY-

The restaurant burger, in short, needs to be slimmer, should show off some char, would benefit from fewer toppings, and could be forged from a larger variety of animal meats (or vegetable proteins). And it should cost less than $20. Until that happens, ordering a restaurant burger is often a waste of time, money, and calories.

muteki

I enjoy it every so often when I'm out there but am not flipping out I don't have it at home. There are too many burger joints around as it is.

bjork

In N Out is fine.

Better than Habit and Five Guys for sure.

But the best burger ever made lives at the Bear House in Crestline CA. It's worth driving up the mountain just to get it.

studyguy

I mean in Ventura County we have:
Wendy's
Carl's
McD
Burger King
Habit
Hook
In n Out
Tommy's
5 Guys
Fatburger
Johnny Rocket's
Red Robin

along with an assortment of like various other smaller mom and pop's joints/sit down burger shops.

Like given the choice of all those price ranges, I'd still land on In and Out any day of the week. We're not strapped for choice out here fam.

Toki767

Wow, I'm surprised it's not in Norcal, that seems like more likely than in Socal lol.

Hope you guys get it soon, it's superb.

Yeah, tried it in Japan and was really surprised considering it was chain curry. We have a few really standout curry places though rather than just big chains.

Toa TAK

Banned
We don't have to go around hatin Five Guys, either.

Back on the Least Coast I used to eat it as my #1 burger joint.

Trace

Banned
I don't understand why people like Five Guys tbh. We have one near where I live and it's fairly bland + tasteless burger fare. In-N-Out when I used to live near one was like 10x better, they actually had some taste to the burgers.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Like people downplaying a solid burger for a decent price are being silly. In and Out isn't nearly the big deal people make it out to be outside the state. Take shots at it, but I mean it does what it aims to well enough.

So I'm a Canadian and I moved to the American west a few years ago -- as a result I have 30-ish years experience not eating In n Out and a few years experience eating In n Out.

My genuine sense is:
- In the places where In n Out serves, there is nowhere that mixes the cheap price, the food quality, the polite service, and the availability of locations.
- The strawberry shakes are the best, cheapest milkshakes you'll get anywhere
- Animal sauce is pretty good
- The stores really, genuinely are clean and friendly with good service. It's a positive experience.
- The branding game is on point.

I think if you're a tourist, as a one off, In n Out might seem underwhelming because you've heard the hype and then you get the experience and you're like "wait, is that it". But if you live here, I think it'll be a part of your rotation. And by god if you haven't been to Los Angeles in a month or two and you fly back into LAX, you'll get a craving as soon as you drive out of the airport parking lot onto Sepulveda.

Obviously the aggro Californians getting mega mad at anyone declaring it anything less than the most amazing thing ever are wrong, but they'll die of a heart attack in traffic at age 50 so what's the point in arguing?

I was comparing it to the regular cheeseburger. Mcdouble is $1.69 cheaper than all that stuff. Just refuting the guys point, McD's is cheaper than in n out.

It is possible to get cheaper food at McDonalds than it is possible to get at In n Out if you are willing to get dollar menu junk, but the price comparison for the main offerings on a 1:1 basis generally leads to In n Out being slightly cheaper, and at the comparable price point the quality comparison is night and day.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
In-n-out came to Texas and got wrecked by local burger chains.

It's not that in-n-out is bad, it's that it has a cult like status for West Coasters, and once you remove the nostalgia of childhood memories of In-n-out, they are merely good affordable fast food burgers.

My guess is their lack of market penetration in the Texas expansion is the primary reason they aren't expanding any more.

There are 3 Austin locations and there is never a line at any of them. P-Terry's and Whataburger won here. I know they did ok with their very first locations (lines and all), but once the early curiosity went away, no one really cares.

kuYuri

I had In-N-Out for the first time during a LA visit a few weeks back. I was shocked at how cheap it was when compared to some of the fast food places here, especially Five Guys.

Worth it tbh

No Tommys Burgers?

shit list, low tier.

There are two Original Tommy's burgers in Vegas. I wasn't really that impressed, the chili was good but the burger and bun themselves were meh. Freddy's Steakburgers is also in Vegas and does a very similar chili + burger and chili + fries and I think their offerings are much better than Tommy's.

as a vegas resident its fantastic food wise, tons and tons of asian, pizza, burger, and sushi options. Many quite cheap. BBQ has been the big missing one, but a few big expansions have made it a lot better recently. Had cheap korean to go BBQ recently and it was heaven.

In n out is not the best burger, its just the most consistent at the lowest price. While I am doing low carb, I tend to get an double double animal style protein style. It comes out the exact same no matter which in n out I go to, and it costs like $4. Its REALLY hard to beat that, price wise and food quantity wise and fresh/quality wise, anywhere else.

The pattys are never frozen and all the veggies taste crisp and super fresh. If you don't eat a lot of fast food you NOTICE the difference in food taste, other fast food places heavily salt their food to mask quality but you don't get that over salty taste from good places like In n out, etc.

New002

Just went for the first time when visiting Cali. No big loss really. Burgers were solid (given the price point). Fries were trash.

At that price I'd take a Steak 'n' Shake $5 combo 10 times out of 10 over In-N-Out.

Top Bottom