• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlamFM

Banned
I'm not sure who told you that but Mass Effect 3 runs on Unreal Engine...

Continue reading ;)

EDIT: OK, maybe it was confusing. There is a version of ME3 that runs on Frostbite. The person I spoke to saw it. I know that ME3 as we know it runs on Unreal.

TheHall

If they put the combat of ME3 in ME1 & ME2 and add a solid ME:Co-Op to a PS4 trilogy, i'd buy it for $99 ($109.99 in Canada)

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
If they put the combat of ME3 in ME1 & ME2 and add a solid ME:Co-Op to a PS4 trilogy, i'd buy it for $99 ($109.99 in Canada)

I'd love for that to happen, but adding in the combat of ME3 into ME would fundamentally change the gameplay in a way that would probably break it. It would also be a massive undertaking.

DirtyCase

I think a lot of people have severely overreacted about the lack of quality in ME2 and 3. Though flawed both are fantastic games. I personally can't get enough of this franchise. It's one of my favorites of all time actually.

No I get it, both ME2 and 3 are quality games, It just the aesthetic change from the first and the second game was a huge disconnect for me. The first one had this 1970's sci-fi feel to it with curves and straight lines which I loved. Sure the actual assets in ME 1 could have had more fidelity for sure but the second and third felt more space bro to me in terms of art direction with the weapons/armour IMO.

Either way from what little we've seen I am excited with the direction they are taking for the next ME

TheHall

I'd love for that to happen, but adding in the combat of ME3 into ME would fundamentally change the gameplay in a way that would probably break it. It would also be a massive undertaking.

Yeah i understand it's a futile dream.

I just can't play it. I came into ME2 (playstation) and played ME3 after that (got super spoiled) and bought ME1 as soon as it became available, but it's too hard to take that step down.

:(

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
What's so bad about going back to ME1? Is it the combat gameplay or the loot system/interface? Personally, i have more issues with how we're unable to run outside of combat. Make going from one place to another feel like it's taking too long.

Leatherface

No I get it, both ME2 and 3 are quality games, It just the aesthetic change from the first and the second game was a huge disconnect for me. The first one had this 1970's sci-fi feel to it with curves and straight lines which I loved. Sure the actual assets in ME 1 could have had more fidelity for sure but the second and third felt more space bro to me in terms of art direction with the weapons/armour IMO.

Either way from what little we've seen I am excited with the direction they are taking for the next ME

It's been so long since I've played ME1 I'd have to go look again for myself as I don't remember it being that drastically different style wise from the rest. Based on what you said though, I can agree that a more stylized 70's sci-fi look would be pretty awesome.

JZA

I'm really hoping when Mass Effect 4 comes out, it'll feature the same kind of drop-in/drop-out coop gameplay that Destiny had, and I also hope the story is so good that players will be like "this is what Destiny should've been!"

DOWN

Banned
I may have missed it, but have they ever officially confirmed that the trilogy is getting remastered for PS4/XBone?

Tread lightly, because you tread on my dreams.

I'm hoping for an announcement on n7 day but I doubt it:(

We can hope, surely they're keen on getting some remaster monies?
I would buy it, I'd like to tell you I'd fight the good fight....but I'm Bioware's bitch and I think they know it >.<
EA doesn't do remasters so the answer is no.

DirtyCase

Currently doing a series play through. I'm on ME 3, first time I beat ME3 it was before citadel or leviathan dlc's were released. I'm planning on getting citadel if not both. What do you guys think the chances are for discounted ME dlc on or around N7 day? Wondering if I should wait and see or just take the plunge. It's a little hard to justify spending 15$ on 2 year old dlc. Thanks!

Kikujiro

So I finished my ME2 Insanity playthrough, wow, this was way better than the first one. Such a huge improvement. Some thoughts:

- ME1 had more customization, but the menus were so bad that it felt like a chore. So I welcomed ME2 streamlined changes. Oh and the loot system in ME1 was awful.
- Cutscenes direction is way better, in ME1 some of the cutscenes were pretty amateurish looking.
- Environments are more detailed, lively and different, colors too. The Citadel in ME1 was a big empty room and there were too many copy/paste dungeons.
- Some NPC dialogues are great and hilarious.
- It still feels a little clunky, but the controls are immensely better than the first one. Shooting feels actually good.
- More squad members and better developed. The loyalty missions were great (some amazing), hope to see them back (or something similar) in ME3.
- N7 assignments are better, you're not visiting the same bases and ships with the same layout.

While the characters are interesting, the main story is stupid.
- Cerberus and the Illusive Man are a big Deus Ex Machina. Not only they revived you, but they have all the resources of the universe. It's an easy and cheap plot device.
- I played it in Italian and the voice actors are all great, then I watched some videos on youtube and wtf? Shepard's male voice in English is horrible, like he's not even try to act.

I'm surprised that some people think ME1 is better, I really don't see it. I read how it was more RPGish, but I found the RPGish part of ME1 really lacking, while ME2 offers a better TPS gameplay with heavy RPG elements, it works better this way.

Oh and they killed Emily Wong on twitter? Wtf that's some bullshit.

Since I'm going to start ME3 soon and I have all the DLCs, what's the best order to play them?

Feichaw

Since I'm going to start ME3 soon and I have all the DLCs, what's the best order to play them?

As soon as possible:
1) From Ashes
2) Omega

Before the final mission (a.k.a. the point of no return):
3) Leviathan
4) The Citadel (you can finish the second part of this DLC -
The Party and the meetings
- after you end the game. I think that it'll have a bigger impact on you this way).

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
So I finished my ME2 Insanity playthrough, wow, this was way better than the first one. Such a huge improvement. Some thoughts:

- ME1 had more customization, but the menus were so bad that it felt like a chore. So I welcomed ME2 streamlined changes. Oh and the loot system in ME1 was awful.
- Cutscenes direction is way better, in ME1 some of the cutscenes were pretty amateurish looking.
- Environments are more detailed, lively and different, colors too. The Citadel in ME1 was a big empty room and there were too many copy/paste dungeons.
- It still feels a little clunky, but the controls are immensely better than the first one. Shooting feels actually good.
- More squad members and better developed. The loyalty missions were great (some amazing), hope to see them back (or something similar) in ME3.
- N7 assignments are better, you're not visiting the same bases and ships with the same layout.

- Cerberus and the Illusive Man are a big Deus Ex Machina. Not only they revived you, but they have all the resources of the universe. It's an easy and cheap plot device.
- I played it in Italian and the voice actors are all great, then I watched some videos on youtube and wtf? Shepard's male voice in English is horrible, like he's not even try to act.

I'm surprised that some people think ME1 is better, I really don't see it. I read how it was more RPGish, but I found the RPGish part of ME1 really lacking, while ME2 offers a better TPS gameplay with heavy RPG elements, it works better this way.

The thing people liked about ME1 was the exploration and 70s space opera feel.

Ralemont

not me
Currently doing a series play through. I'm on ME 3, first time I beat ME3 it was before citadel or leviathan dlc's were released. I'm planning on getting citadel if not both. What do you guys think the chances are for discounted ME dlc on or around N7 day? Wondering if I should wait and see or just take the plunge. It's a little hard to justify spending 15$ on 2 year old dlc. Thanks!

Leviathan is only $10 fwiw.

It's possible they will go on sale. Will starting on Nov 7 as opposed to now still give you enough time to finish before DA: I? :p

Since Leviathan and Citadel are both best played near the end of ME3, you could also start your playthrough now and try to time it so that if the DLCs are on sale you can buy them and immediately work them into your playthrough.

DOWN

Banned
Right, because there is never a first time for everything.
When we're about 4 years past all the major players getting into remasters and EA sat it out, the rational assumption is they have had many chances to decide on remasters. I doubt anyone is trying to figure out the odds EA changes now. If they did remaster anything now, it wouldn't make the questions in the thread any more special or sound for having hoped based on no history pointing to remasters.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
When we're about 4 years past all the major players getting into remasters and EA sat it out, the rational assumption is they have had many chances to decide on remasters. I doubt anyone is trying to figure out the odds EA changes now. If they did remaster anything now, it wouldn't make the questions in the thread any more special or sound for having hoped based on no history pointing to remasters.

The game is different now. There is money to be made and it's the perfect opportunity to do so.

EA is also under different management now. You coming in here and saying "no" does nothing.

Patryn

The game is different now. There is money to be made and it's the perfect opportunity to do so.

EA is also under different management now. You coming in here and saying "no" does nothing.

I'll just point out that there is more evidence that he is right than you are.

The only evidence pointing towards there being one is one tweet from several months back that we have no proof (despite your assertions) was officially sanctioned and some rumors about it being internally discussed.

On the other side, there is quite a bit of evidence that it's not happening. Between EA's history and the lapse of their development license for Unreal. In addition, you keep saying it'll make money although you can't present tangible arguments that it will do so.

Frankly, I think it's better to accept that it's not coming, because if it does show up you'll be pleasantly surprised. If you expect it to come and it never does, then you'll just be disappointed.

Mindwipe

ME1's environments and plots are stacks better and more coherent.

And it's more fun to play - ME2 is a fixed rails third person shooter I've played a thousand times before, most of them executed better. ME1 is different and interesting because I can do different stuff - I can get in and out of the Mako and set up sniping positions or execute an elaborate ammo chain, and not having ammo in favour of cooldowns brings a really interesting mechanic.

Maledict

Um, Mass Effect 1 had a ridiculous, planet sized plot hole in it. Saren's entire plan was silly and could have been accomplished far more easily simply by invading without notice and walking up to the console in the councils chamber at the start.

In terms of it playing better - each to their own I guess, and glad you enjoyed it, but you have to admit the majority of people much prefer the gunplay and combat mechanics of huge second game.

Patryn

Um, Mass Effect 1 had a ridiculous, planet sized plot hole in it. Saren's entire plan was silly and could have been accomplished far more easily simply by invading without notice and walking up to the console in the councils chamber at the start.

In terms of it playing better - each to their own I guess, and glad you enjoyed it, but you have to admit the majority of people much prefer the gunplay and combat mechanics of huge second game.

Citation needed?

I'm not necessarily disagreeing, but I've seen enough people say they prefer Mass Effect 1 to 2 that I'm a little uncertain on where things lie.

You are in for a treat my brother. Mass Effect 3 is amazing.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The only evidence pointing towards there being one is one tweet from several months back that we have no proof (despite your assertions) was officially sanctioned and some rumors about it being internally discussed.

You don't send those kinds of tweets without their being something to it. Not in the environment we live in where things spread like wildfire. Not to mention Bioware nor EA never issued a denial even after sites like IGN picked up on it.

Again, it makes no sense to not do it when there is money to be made.

But it's best to not get hyped up for N7 day since (to the best of my knowledge) nothing major ever gets announced there.

They should be nice and update the MP so you only pull characters/weapons/mods that you don't have.

I started playing a bit the last few days and it's such a kick in the nuts to save 500k credits to only get lvl IV ammo. :l

They should be nice and update the MP so you only pull characters/weapons/mods that you don't have.

I started playing a bit the last few days and it's such a kick in the nuts to save 500k credits to only get lvl IV ammo. :l
They should be nice and patch in official controller support into ME 1-3 PC, so that I can stop hoping for a 60 fps remastered edition which is likely not coming. Ever.

Or a sale on the DLC on PC. I'll take that. Can't decide which one is more improbable. :p

Mindlog

I don't have time for your logic Patyrn.

GET HYPED.
Oh my god it's coming. PLAY THE SONG JERRY.

I've been playing some Destiny.
Everything about it would be better if it cribbed more from Mass Effect.
Except it decided to crib that silly Mass Effect 1 mineral tagging minigame to its ludicrous conclusion.

Come on Mass Effect 4 multiplayer. I need the good stuff.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I for one am glad that keyboard/mouse gaming doesn't bother me... I experienced 1080p/60 FPS Mass Effect years ago!

Sucks for people who aren't like me though. :( I feel like you're going to wait a long time.

i-Lo

Any word on whether Bioware will be borrowing some of the tactical combat mechanics from DAI for a more intimate companion control?

I for one am glad that keyboard/mouse gaming doesn't bother me... I experienced 1080p/60 FPS Mass Effect years ago!

Sucks for people who aren't like me though. :( I feel like you're going to wait a long time.
Yeah, I played the trilogy on PC... I'd pay for gamepad support.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

I can play with a keyboard and mouse, but I like being able to sit on my couch and play that way!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom