• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LttP: Jet Grind Radio vs. Jet Set Radio Future

_dementia said:
The DC original is my favorite. I was pretty disappointed by Future.
I'm basically in this boat. I did enjoy some of the tunes from Future though but I thought Grind was the better game by far.

a.wd

These threads always die out quick and it makes me sad...We should do JSR v Halo or God of War or infamous or whatever the game of the moment is just to mess with their tiny minds!

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
This gen was practically begging for a JSRF game. But no Sega wants to keep making Sonic. ASLKDJASLDJ

Pietepiet

Both games are amazing. I feel that Jet Set Radio is my favourite as an overall package, but Jet Set Radio Future has some really amazing levels. Plus, I adored the Street Challenges. So fun!

I'd love a third game, but I feel that the Sega of today isn't up to the task of making something worthy of the Jet Set Radio name. Maybe if they let a different studio handle it.

What studio would you guys like to do a Jet Set Radio sequel?

[EDIT] Oh, and here's some fanart I did:
jsr_mew.png

iamcenok

I absolutely adore JGR. *Hugs mint copy*

I really wish there were another coming for current gen systems. That'd be amazing.

Gameplay and music was and is amazing. I played future, and while I liked it, it wasn't the same.

Funny little story
but not really
. Back in the day, one of my friends ended up calling me Yoyo for whatever reason, by this time JSR was out, and the shop my friend worked at at the time got in a copy and he loved it.
Weeks went by and my friend finally talked me into aggressive skating(Ugh, I hate that name.).
Anyways, to end the silly
and obvious
story. JGR drops in the US and I pick the game up, come to find out theres a character named.. Yoyo!

You can't get better at Street Fighter playing Future. Taking out the cops chasing you while you jumped and sprayed around the levels is the biggest fault with JSRF, it's just not as rewarding without that bit of tension.

Also, all the redesigns in JSRF are worse, most of them only by a little. But they ruined Tab and Yo-Yo. Especially Yo-Yo.

Also, less crazy wall-ride chaining in Future, not the biggest deal, but eh. Funnily enough I did buy an original Xbox just for JSRF, great game.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
ProtoCents said:
Hello Allison
I want to hold your hand
I haven't been
The same man since I saw you comin' in
(forget the rest)
Aw man, just cruising around the hub to this tune was bliss! Even when not playing, that one song dominated my summer holiday that year!

I still prefer JSR in general though, not least for the soundtrack. I'm not holding out for any sequels, but HD remakes of either would make me a happy enough.

eso76

I liked JSRF more, but in the end it's a different genre.
I felt it made more sense as a game, felt more complete, cohesive and with a lot more content. I swear JSRF must have been 10 times the size of JSR, but then again JSR was more of a racing game while JSRF was more of an action-platform-adventure game.

JSRF might be superior in terms of gameplay and control if you had to do the motions to create graffiti. But I think JSR/JGR has better character designs, and I like it a little more overall.

dock

I strongly dislike Jet Set Radio Future. I bought my xbox for it, and I've never finished it.

There are many aspects of the gameplay changes I dislike, but most of all I hate that they took all of the street funky characters and made them into desperately cool, sexed up catwalk douchebags.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
I occasionally play JSRF on my 360, but haven't played JSR for years since I sold my Dreamcast. I really wish SEGA would release it on XBL/PSN. To play it again and to show it to so many people who never heard of it. It's one of my favourite gaming experiences and pretty much the reason I bought a DC in the first place. After playing through the story, I messed around endlessly in the first three levels (liked those more then the two later levels), trying to maintain speed, do tricks, grind... In a way it was the first sandbox game I played, I guess.

kojacker

Love them both. Bought a DreamCast after seeing it on my bro's system, and bought the Xbox purely for the JSRF pack-in. And i'll buy whatever system it comes out on next. Heck, I nearly bought a JSR pachinko machine I spotted on ebay, there's probably something wrong with me...

Anyway, Im very much hoping that the next gen will see the return of Jet Set Radio, and maybe also a Xbox Live release of the previous titles.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
kojacker said:
Love them both. Bought a DreamCast after seeing it on my bro's system, and bought the Xbox purely for the JSRF pack-in. And i'll buy whatever system it comes out on next. Heck, I nearly bought a JSR pachinko machine I spotted on ebay, there's probably something wrong with me...

Anyway, Im very much hoping that the next gen will see the return of Jet Set Radio, and maybe also a Xbox Live release of the previous titles.

I'm not sure I'd want it to come back, despite how much I love it. That mindset and development environment at Sega has long gone. It would probably be disastrous.

The only hint of a return to the Dreamcast days is PSO2, but even then it took them years of fucking up with PSU to understand what made the original so good in the first place.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
One thing I rarely see mentioned is that the levels in JSRF are ungodly beautiful, just retarded amounts of detail and scale. They may not be the best designed gameplay-wise, but I'll boot the game up just to marvel at 'em sometimes.

Shaneus

Shig said:
One thing I rarely see mentioned is that the levels in JSRF are ungodly beautiful, just retarded amounts of detail and scale. They may not be the best designed gameplay-wise, but I'll boot the game up just to marvel at 'em sometimes.
Probably the thing I love most about JSRF is the amount of detail packed into the intro. Blows me away every single time.

Lumine

ProtoCents said:
Hello Allison
I want to hold your hand
I haven't been
The same man since I saw you comin' in
(forget the rest)

Like this, like that!
Like this this, like that!
Oooo Oh Oooo!

I must admit, I've only played future, but I enjoyed it alot.

Measley

Pietepiet said:
Both games are amazing. I feel that Jet Set Radio is my favourite as an overall package, but Jet Set Radio Future has some really amazing levels. Plus, I adored the Street Challenges. So fun!

I'd love a third game, but I feel that the Sega of today isn't up to the task of making something worthy of the Jet Set Radio name. Maybe if they let a different studio handle it.

Capcom could do it justice.

I'd love a JSRF MMO. Its a great universe.

Lijik said:
I implore everyone to seek out deavid souls's full album. It has his jsr songs on it and is overall a fantastic record.

I think I might do just that. Miller Ball Breakers was easily my favorite song in the original JSR.

Measley said:
Capcom could do it justice.

I'd love a JSRF MMO. Its a great universe.

While not JSRF, Street Gears is a Korean MMORPG heavily inspired by JSR.

Dabanton

With the news that Sega is releasing a remastered Guardian Heroes maybe we will have a chance at seeing a remastered version of JSR or JSRF.

Lijik said:
I implore everyone to seek out deavid souls's full album. It has his jsr songs on it and is overall a fantastic record.

Sparkling music? Yes. I have it. I think it may still be available somewhere out there but if not I can upload it later today or tomorrow. A lot of it is pretty weird but there are some gems on there, ESPECIALLY the full version of On the Bowl (which was a remix) and its original version. Get on the dance!

Shig said:

I don't understand what's going on here!

JSRF's levels were really bland compared to JGR's. Granted I only played it a few times for about a week compared to playing through JGR multiple times and unlocking EVERYTHING but I ended up feeling pretty underwhelmed by JSRF.

I always looked at the games like JGR was the main anime and JSRF was this weird OVA set in an alternate universe.

HisshouBuraiKen said:
Sparkling music? Yes. I have it. I think it may still be available somewhere out there but if not I can upload it later today or tomorrow.

I don't understand what's going on here!

JSRF's levels were really bland compared to JGR's. Granted I only played it a few times for about a week compared to playing through JGR multiple times and unlocking EVERYTHING but I ended up feeling pretty underwhelmed by JSRF.

I always looked at the games like JGR was the main anime and JSRF was this weird OVA set in an alternate universe.

I like JGR, but there is nothing in it that matches the visual excellence of the sheer enjoyment of areas such as Chuo Street and Sky Dinosaurian Square. Jet Set Radio Future's levels and visuals are so superior to JGR, to the point where I feel confident saying that there isn't a single area in JGR that matches JSRF, that I don't understand how anyone can claim such a thing.

I love both games but if a 3rd installment of the JSR/F series was ever made, I hope we get the less edgy JSR art style with the JSRF game play style. I know the music would be fine as SEGA pumps out BGM gold.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Definitely prefer JSR to JSRF.

The level design in JSRF was quite a bit less interesting and the division of cop segments and exploration segments killed any tension buildup. JSRF just felt a whole lot less interesting. The level progression in JSR was a steady buildup with the police force would gradually increase their numbers and power to take you out. The fact that spray painting also required actual input rather than simply pulling the trigger added to the tactical side of things (more complex tags were much harder when the cops were in full force).

JSRF obviously looks much better, however. 60 fps and more detailed scenery makes a big difference. So, yeah, the levels all tend to LOOK much better and are more creative visually, but when it comes to actual game design, they fall flat in comparison.

HisshouBuraiKen said:
Sparkling music? Yes. I have it. I think it may still be available somewhere out there but if not I can upload it later today or tomorrow. A lot of it is pretty weird but there are some gems on there, ESPECIALLY the full version of On the Bowl (which was a remix) and its original version. Get on the dance!
I'd love to be able to own Sparkling Music - been looking online for years and still haven't found it yet...

And yes, the whole version of On the Bowl is so damn good...

Grace & Glory though is my crack - song is just f'ing godly for me.

SykoTech

Nice to see so much Aisle 10 love. I was totally addicted to that song about a ear ago. Couldn't go 2 days without listening to it.

Pietepiet said:

I can't think of anyone who could capture the funky style like the old Sega did. Maybe it would be best if it just stayed under Sega and was made by Amusement Vision. Lots of ex-Smilebit people are there. Unfortunately, they are pretty much Yakuza Team now. However, they are making Binary Domain, so I guess that roves that they do have time for other projects.

Listening to the JSR OST right now - so much of Deavid Soul's stuff is godly.

Yappie Feet has got to be one of the best feel-good songs ever. It actually makes you want to dance.

Stylo

dark10x said:

The level design in JSRF was quite a bit less interesting and the division of cop segments and exploration segments killed any tension buildup. JSRF just felt a whole lot less interesting. The level progression in JSR was a steady buildup with the police force would gradually increase their numbers and power to take you out. The fact that spray painting also required actual input rather than simply pulling the trigger added to the tactical side of things (more complex tags were much harder when the cops were in full force).

JSRF obviously looks much better, however. 60 fps and more detailed scenery makes a big difference. So, yeah, the levels all tend to LOOK much better and are more creative visually, but when it comes to actual game design, they fall flat in comparison.

Exactly.

Subitai

JSRF for me. How could you not dig The Concept of Love when you booted up the game for this first time?

"Ready to kick some...Ready to kick some..."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2HT94t-a5k

Some the later levels were just amazing. Grinding the rollercoasters in Sky Dinosaurian Square and the epic jumps of awesomeness in The Fortified Residential Zone were some of my favorite times on Xbox.

And then DJ Gouji's Tower. It made you apply all the platforming skills you learned in a fantastic way.
Emo sounding girl spoiling the amazingness of the last level:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QPhBmePEoM

Oni Jazar

dark10x said:

Agreed. Also I like how JSR forces you to keep grinding. It was always about finding the best grind routes to your destination and link them together in a super smooth way. JSRF took a bit of that out with their boost mechanic. They are two very different games and I liked JSRF (except for Birthday Cake), but I like JSR better.

hoverX

Just discovered that jsrf is on the xbox backwards compatibility list but with some noted issues. Anyone try it out?

maeda

I like both games for different reasons. They obviously were designed with different goals in mind. JSR shares many similarities with traditional platformers. That is why it is not as speedy, there aren't as many opportunities to traverse huge sections just by snapping to the rails at the right moments. The game intentionally slows you down (painting the walls is the biggest part of this paradigm) in order to create more tension. JSRF on the other hand is much more about speed. So levels are designed in a way that you can circle around huge areas flying above the surface, jumping from rail to rail. That is why naturally the game has a totally different painting mechanic. Even OSTs reflect these differences. I love both games, but i prefer the sense of speed, level design and music of JSRF. The sequel on 3DS seems so appropriate... If only SEGA stopped sucking so much and bring the series back.

Subitai

hoverX said:
Just discovered that jsrf is on the xbox backwards compatibility list but with some noted issues. Anyone try it out?
I don't think you can without some DLs. At least I couldn't.

bwahhhhh

I got an Xbox in part because of JSRF. I was pretty disappointed.

That said, they're totally different games, and it just feels like they were made by totally different developers, despite the Smilebit logo.

Jet Set/Grind Radio was kind of like NiGHTS, or a NiGHTS/Pac-Man hybrid, with with gangs instead of ghosts. It was an arcade game at heart. Your objective was to get all the tags in an optimal amount of time while avoiding/tagging the baddies, and getting a score at the end, level by level. Combined with the tricks, I considered it to be nearly a "spiritual" NiGHTS sequel. Best routes, planning the tags, maximizing points before the time runs out/finishing, etc.

JSRF was more like Banjo Kazooie or Jak and Daxter. A collectathon platformer, but on skates. With a few enemies sprinkled in. It was totally different. As different from JGR as, well, Jak 2 was from Jak and Daxter. I understand those who preferred JSRF, but it delivered a completely different experience from JGR. And, to me, it wasn't as fun as JGR, and the platforming wasn't as good J&D, so for me, it was just disappointing.

hoverX

Just emailed my parents to see if my dreamcast is lying around somewhere at their place. Can't wait to play it again.

ReBurn

Gold Member
AbsoluteZero said:
Jet Set Radio Future was the reason I wanted a Xbox. Never got around to buying one.
I bought a second-hand Xbox the other day to play this again. It slows down way too much on 360.

I played for hours and hours. This and Jedi Outcast consumed much of my life.

hoverX said:

The combo disc with Sega GT has massive slowdown issues.

Jarmel

Banned
I would love a NGP port or game designed for the NGP. The 3DS would also be amazing for a new game. God I wish somebody would revive the franchise.

Persona7

Banned
J@hranimo said:
JSR and JSRF are both fun, but I like JSRF better cause of the soundtrack and it has multiplayer.
I feel this way.

Subitai said:
I don't think you can without some DLs. At least I couldn't.
You just put the disk in while connected to Xbox Live and it will download the update for xbox BC.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Jet Grind Radio by far. Got a Xbox for Jet Set Radio Future and the great Star Wars games but man, I couldn't get into Future at all and stopped playing after about 2 hours into it.

Top Bottom