• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

coamithra

eso76 said:
There it is.
Name is Ninja Emaki. I just remembered it was from Nichibutsu and browsed their games catalogue.
Actually, like i said, for all i know, you're riding a cloud only at the very beginning of the first level, then you're on foot for the rest of the game, unless you get back on it in later levels, but i wouldn't know since it always kicked my young ass very quickly.
Yeah, there's some big toad or turtle, i don't remember, there's lava, weapon system is not exactly gradius style but almost. 100% sure it's him.
Yes! That's the one, thank you for ruining my childhood memories! :)

I remember the aribrary switching of scenery used to fill me with a sense of wonder and adventure when I was a kid - now it just looks weird :/

Gomu Gomu

My turn :D

So I remember playing this game on the Atari 2600. It was some kind of an olympics game. I remember that there was a character in the running track. and you had to move the joystick left and right, in order to run. The faster you move the joystick, the faster your character will run. And you have to jump over some obstacles, that look like this. So if you want to jump you'll have to press the red button.

Help me name this game GAF.

DeadTrees

Gomu Gomu said:
My turn :D

So I remember playing this game on the Atari 2600. It was some kind of an olympics game. I remember that there was a character in the running track. and you had to move the joystick left and right, in order to run. The faster you move the joystick, the faster your character will run. And you have to jump over some obstacles, that look like this. So if you want to jump you'll have to press the red button.

Help me name this game GAF.
Probably Decathlon.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
GAF, I hope you can help me with my fuzzy memory.
I remember a "portable" (okay, maybe portable isn't the correct word because the thing was damn huge and sucked batteries like a seasoned prostitute) vertical space shooter I used to own in the eighties, with a two-color (black and green) CRT monitor and a brown casing that looked (sort of) like this:
ei4a34.jpg

Yeah, it looked like a slightly smaller arcade machine with (unsure) two yellow levers.
I don't remember much about its gameplay, I seem to remember you had to shoot alien spaceships before they got to the bottom of the screen and started abducting the humans walking around there (think of a simpler Defender with you shooting vertically and no scrolling whatsoever), but I'm not sure about this detail (I might be confusing it with some other shooter).
Does anyone else remember this game despite the few and uncertain details I've been giving? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: after asking around, I gathered it was a tabletop game. Here's an example:
2nqw9yr.jpg

Mine looked more like my drawing above.

luffeN

friend of mine is searching a pc arcade racer from the 90s. top down view, bus, monstertrucks etc. and with comic graphics.

atomico said:
thrash rally, maybe? (bad screencap, sorry :D )
5x3ew3.gif

most of the racing games with realistic/digitized graphics had this 3/4 perspective, like world rally, neo drift out, etc
14l543t.jpg

Nope, I know and love the 3/4 ones, especially Mille Miglia. It was definitely straight overhead.
I will check out thrash rally just in case, but I think it was circuit based, with pit stops and weather changes.

GaussTek

Alright, here's a hard one. Keep in mind I played this like 15+ years ago, so sorry for the very vague details.

- It's a Sega Master System game.
- It's almost like Black Belt (enemies come to screen very fast)...
- EXCEPT that I remember one of the bosses was a Tiger (and I also think it wears a karate suit or something). Played Black Belt and didn't saw a tiger :(

So yeah, that's it :lol ... Anyone have an idea? Or my memory it's really ****** up?

Muffdraul

Arcade game from circa 1980-1982. Basically a Space Invaders clone, i.e. you were at the bottom of the screen shooting upward, enemies came down from the top. Your "ship," if you can even call it that, fired in three directions simultaneously- up, up/left diagonal, and up/right diagonal. Your shots didn't travel very far, I think. I believe there were various kinds of enemies and targets that came down, the only type I remember were brightly colored oblong shapes or loops that came tumbling down, and they might have broken up into smaller ones when shot, sort of like Asteroids. I only saw it once, ever since then I always thought it was called 'The End'. But a while back I played The End on MAME, and it's not it, not even close.

I_D

I completely forgot about this game until reading this thread...

1. Racing game a pretty standard car (red?)
2. Behind-the-car view (maybe also 1st-person)
3. Played with a controller / keyboard
4. Played on a PC (possibly Mac)
5. ~15 years ago
6. Had a full track editor, with curved F-Zero-style walls that you could drive up on (which was simple enough to use on a controller)

That's about all I can remember. :lol

eso76

Graphics Horse said:
OK then,

Arcade machine, Top down overhead scrolling racer, with sprite/background scaling. It would zoom in at a pitstop, and the car might have scaled up when it was in the air.
Possibly had background rotation so you're always aiming up the screen. It had sports cars, and a relatively realistic look. Likely to be early 90s.

I only saw this game once, so the details might be off, but I'd love to know what it was!

Damn, forgot about this thread.

The game you're looking for is Chequered Flag, by Konami

Eccocid

DeadTrees said:

god knows how may joysticks i had broken with that game when i was a kid :( MY father used to yell at me when he wanted to play Boulderdash and found out that joystick doesn't register left or right lol

I've been thinking about this game all day and I hope you can help. Actually, this game isn't released yet and I don't think it's going to be released anytime soon/maybe canceled.

What I remember of the screenshots/text/trailers is working your way through a steampunk/victorian city by manipulating sounds. This was the major focus of the game. Using a recording device you can record and playback sounds to advance to whatever goal it is the game had. I hope someone can tell me the name of the game and hopefully not mention that it's been canceled.

Teasel

i made a thread about this but nobody got it right... basicaly i can't remember anything about the game except the dead sequence,in the death sequence you slumped to the ground and then a worm popped one of your eye out of your sockets
any idea's? it probably was either an amiga game or a pc game (probably amiga) and i seems to remember it being somewhat similiar to flashback

another game i can't seems to remember the name,it was also similiar to flashback,the game opened with you saving an half naked sacrificial girl from a t-rex and you had to co-operate to keep progressing... sounds any bell?

Raw64life

Raw64life said:
I remember a mid 90's average PC action/adventure game. 3rd person. You looked kind of like a knight. Kind of like the guy from Ghouls & Ghosts. You were in a cave in the demo.

Anybody?

mclem

Teasel said:
another game i can't seems to remember the name,it was also similiar to flashback,the game opened with you saving an half naked sacrificial girl from a t-rex and you had to co-operate to keep progressing... sounds any bell?

Bermuda Syndrome?

This sounds like "Stunts" or "4D Sports Driving" which was one of my favourite racing games. I would design impossible tracks just to try and launch my car over 3 building and watch in amusement as it was destroyed and flung across the rather generic environment.

You could put loops, corkscrews and other such business in your tracks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stunts_(video_game)

Stunts_menu.png

Stunts_trackeditor.png

Immortal_Daemon said:
I completely forgot about this game until reading this thread...

1. Racing game a pretty standard car (red?)
2. Behind-the-car view (maybe also 1st-person)
3. Played with a controller / keyboard
4. Played on a PC (possibly Mac)
5. ~15 years ago
6. Had a full track editor, with curved F-Zero-style walls that you could drive up on (which was simple enough to use on a controller)

That's about all I can remember. :lol

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
898 said:
What I remember of the screenshots/text/trailers is working your way through a steampunk/victorian city by manipulating sounds. This was the major focus of the game. Using a recording device you can record and playback sounds to advance to whatever goal it is the game had. I hope someone can tell me the name of the game and hopefully not mention that it's been canceled.

City of Metronome by Tarsier Studios in Sweden; the good news is it's not cancelled, the bad is that it's not currently under development.

Jocchan said:
I remember a "portable" (okay, maybe portable isn't the correct word because the thing was damn huge and sucked batteries like a seasoned prostitute) vertical space shooter I used to own in the eighties, with a two-color (black and green) CRT monitor and a brown casing that looked (sort of) like this:

Astro Thunder or Star Force, maybe? The colours/levers/gameplay don't quite match up, though.

http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Grandstand/StarForce.htm
http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Grandstand/Firefox.htm

DeBurgo

A scrolling shooter where you controlled this tank/car thing for the NES. First level was on some road (might have been a dirt road, I don't know), second level was on bridge/road thing. I remember there being ditches and stuff you had to avoid. I specifically remember having a hard time avoiding said ditches in the second level, and landing in the water. Thinking about it, it reminds me a little bit of spy hunter except I don't think it was vertically scrolling.

DeadTrees

DeBurgo said:
A scrolling shooter where you controlled this tank/car thing for the NES. First level was on some road (might have been a dirt road, I don't know), second level was on bridge/road thing. I remember there being ditches and stuff you had to avoid. I specifically remember having a hard time avoiding said ditches in the second level, and landing in the water. Thinking about it, it reminds me a little bit of spy hunter except I don't think it was vertically scrolling.
Breakthru?

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
I remember from my fragile youth a screenshot of a SNES game:

-Isometric
-presence of cubes (stacked in small pyramids) and/or potentially a grid (indicating where you could move)
-Arabic setting and/or art style (ie. the screenshot was of a sandy area and it looked like the main character was dressed with a turban or something)
-I think it was an RPG, maybe an SRPG

The only one I'm sure of is the isometric one and the fact that it was sandy. help pls.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Okay, I have two more here:

1) This was a colourful arcade sidescrolling action/platformer game. I remember it being quite colourful and gorgeous, wouldn't look out of place on a Neo Geo. It was fantasy setting, and the first boss you came across fought you on two platforms, and he could dig up/dig down depending on where you were. At one point his tail could come off too. The second boss was a tree you fought on wobbly platforms. I vaguely remember it being like Ghouls n' Ghosts style, but it was definitely not that.

2) This one is really vague. Some ancient PC game. All I remember was that in one part of the prologue/intro a dragon flies to the screen with his mouth open. I also remember that a large part of the game involved hatching dragon eggs over a bunsen burner. Maybe. I could never get any of the eggs to hatch though. Stupid eggs.

This topic is great because I feel more at ease with each of these games that I remember now.

Brobzoid said:
I remember from my fragile youth a screenshot of a SNES game:

-Isometric
-presence of cubes (stacked in small pyramids) and/or potentially a grid (indicating where you could move)
-Arabic setting and/or art style (ie. the screenshot was of a sandy area and it looked like the main character was dressed with a turban or something)
-I think it was an RPG, maybe an SRPG

The only one I'm sure of is the isometric one and the fact that it was sandy. help pls.

Isn't that Equinox? It was a puzzle game and the main character wore a turban-like thing.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
SovanJedi said:
Isn't that Equinox? It was a puzzle game and the main character wore a turban-like thing.
Why, yes it is! Thanks dear sir. I was worried my memory had colored the shit out of that little screen-shot. Now to be shattered by finding out it's not at all any good...

Puck

Banned
both are dos games, i played them back when i played commander keen, xenon and a few others. (early 90's).

1. it was like an RPG. i think there was a side scrolling part in it where you were on a spaceship, and then you exited in a space shuttle and were on a desert planet. i remember having the view of inside the spaceshuttle where you could choose where you wanted to fly, but i went into some desert bar that had really funky electric music and some guy in a cowboy hat sitting at a bar. definitely third person. may have been a point and click, i have no idea. i just remember aliens in a bar and a jukebox / karaoke machine i think.

2. i think i only played the demo of this, but it was another RPG i think where you were a wizard / magician, there were multiple levels in what felt like a house and there was a health / mana bar I think, you used spells to kill the enemies. no idea what it was, it felt like it was a third person but from a top down view. i think there was keys and books.

any ideas?

Jswanko

Help! Im thinking of a Genesis game, pretty sure it was a beat em up. If i can recall right you played as dinosaurs and fought some maybe? It was in a city and im pretty sure they walked on two legs.

mclem

Puck said:
both are dos games, i played them back when i played commander keen, xenon and a few others. (early 90's).

1. it was like an RPG. i think there was a side scrolling part in it where you were on a spaceship, and then you exited in a space shuttle and were on a desert planet. i remember having the view of inside the spaceshuttle where you could choose where you wanted to fly, but i went into some desert bar that had really funky electric music and some guy in a cowboy hat sitting at a bar. definitely third person. may have been a point and click, i have no idea. i just remember aliens in a bar and a jukebox / karaoke machine i think.
One of the Space Quest series? It sounds a bit like the sequence of events of the first in the series (but it's been so long since I played them don't count on that)

Jswanko said:
Help! Im thinking of a Genesis game, pretty sure it was a beat em up. If i can recall right you played as dinosaurs and fought some maybe? It was in a city and im pretty sure they walked on two legs.
Outside chance, but the Genesis did see a port of one of the King of the Monsters games (#2); could it be that?

I'm thinking of a PC game, back from the glory days of the PC Gamer demo disc of wonderfulness, that I only got to play a little bit of but loved. It was just a demo, but man was it awesome. Gonna need some help for this one, check it:

It was a first person game, but for the first part of it you weren't fighting anything, just checking out this creepy old house or something. I *think* the character made witty comments about the stuff he was experiencing, such as when you check out a record player and it plays what sounds like a bunch of babies crying. You eventually open a secret door, and I think you fight something (or it may have ended before you got to). I swore I was going to buy it, but could never find and now have quite forgotten the name of it. Not that will help me too much, I'm sure, finding rare PC games is kind of a needle in a haystack sort of experience. There might have been a word starting with "R" in the title, not sure on that.

GAF Detectives, go! The game is afoot

mclem

theinfinityissue said:
I'm thinking of a PC game, back from the glory days of the PC Gamer demo disc of wonderfulness, that I only got to play a little bit of but loved. It was just a demo, but man was it awesome. Gonna need some help for this one, check it:

It was a first person game, but for the first part of it you weren't fighting anything, just checking out this creepy old house or something. I *think* the character made witty comments about the stuff he was experiencing, such as when you check out a record player and it plays what sounds like a bunch of babies crying. You eventually open a secret door, and I think you fight something (or it may have ended before you got to). I swore I was going to buy it, but could never find and now have quite forgotten the name of it. Not that will help me too much, I'm sure, finding rare PC games is kind of a needle in a haystack sort of experience. There might have been a word starting with "R" in the title, not sure on that.

GAF Detectives, go! The game is afoot

Realms of the Haunting?

Syril

Jswanko said:

Could it be...

1221521987-00.jpg

A NES game in the vein of Contra. There's a 2-player mode and you can pick up new guns and weapons along the levels just like Contra. I remember this game from when I was around 8 or 9.

Vague as hell information.

Pre 1992 Shmup.

Definately 16-bit graphics. AKA not 8-bit or even suped-up 8-bit boards.

Arcade.

Red and Blue ships.

First level had some grass. I think.

Auto fire AKA hold down the button not tap, so no charge shot. I think. Maybe it was tap. But definitely no charge shot.

Changing powerups ALA Raiden. I THINK!

That is all I know. And I loved it as a kid. I was 6 years old.

Hootie

Hootie said:
There was some game on the Sega Saturn where you'd race these big trucks on what seemed like barren wastelands, and you could buy a shitload of mods for the trucks like missiles and guns and stuff.

I just don't remember the name =(

Nobody knows? =(

Ratba

Unconfirmed Member
PS1, it was on the original demo disk. It was an overhead shooter a la Gunsmoke. It was super gory and really fun with co-op. I can't remember the title for the life of me.

mclem

Arpharmd B said:
Vague as hell information.

Pre 1992 Shmup.

Definately 16-bit graphics. AKA not 8-bit or even suped-up 8-bit boards.

Arcade.

Red and Blue ships.

First level had some grass. I think.

Auto fire AKA hold down the button not tap, so no charge shot. I think. Maybe it was tap. But definitely no charge shot.

Changing powerups ALA Raiden. I THINK!

That is all I know. And I loved it as a kid. I was 6 years old.

A couple more things would help:

Direction of scrolling?

Simultaneous play or take-in-turns?

My gut feeling is Last Duel, but it's a wild guess.

mclem

Ratba said:
PS1, it was on the original demo disk. It was an overhead shooter a la Gunsmoke. It was super gory and really fun with co-op. I can't remember the title for the life of me.

Loaded? Possibly the sequel, Re:Loaded?

My memory is pretty fuzzy on this, but here goes:

1)Came on a PC Gamer demo disk back in the 90's
2)I think it was a point and click interface
3)I think it had a kind of Chinese traditional tale design to it
4)I think the puzzle in the demo involved getting across a bridge...

I think it must have been some type of point and click adaptation of Journey to the West, as I recall the character having a pole... Does this sound familiar to anyone?

there's been one that's bugged me for a while now. It was an NES game, where you were a guy in a 2-d sidescrolling spy/stealth game.

You had to avoid spotlights and guys. The thing that left an impression on me was the 2-d had two levels and you could jump into the background buildings, lay down to avoid the guards walking past, etc.

What is this game. Help me GAF!

Neverfade

gketter said:
there's been one that's bugged me for a while now. It was an NES game, where you were a guy in a 2-d sidescrolling spy/stealth game.

You had to avoid spotlights and guys. The thing that left an impression on me was the 2-d had two levels and you could jump into the background buildings, lay down to avoid the guards walking past, etc.

What is this game. Help me GAF!

Golgo 13.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
SovanJedi said:
2) This one is really vague. Some ancient PC game. All I remember was that in one part of the prologue/intro a dragon flies to the screen with his mouth open. I also remember that a large part of the game involved hatching dragon eggs over a bunsen burner. Maybe. I could never get any of the eggs to hatch though. Stupid eggs.

Dragon's Breath / Dragon Lord?
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dragon-lord

mclem

theinfinityissue said:
BOOYA! IN ONE!

Yes, that's totally what it was. Any idea if it was any good in the full version? I'm off to track down more info, thanks a bunch.

I remember it got a good review in PC Format, but that's about it for what I recall of its quality.

It's sort-of a sequel (same designers, same rough engine) to Normality, which appeared earlier in this thread!

mclem

Green Tentacle said:
My memory is pretty fuzzy on this, but here goes:

1)Came on a PC Gamer demo disk back in the 90's
2)I think it was a point and click interface
3)I think it had a kind of Chinese traditional tale design to it
4)I think the puzzle in the demo involved getting across a bridge...

I think it must have been some type of point and click adaptation of Journey to the West, as I recall the character having a pole... Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Inherit the Earth?

self quote:

PC Game from 2000 or so, it's RPG in space with a guy looking like James Sunderland (Silent Hill 2) as far as my memories go.

Your first combat was on a ring a you got yourself kick real hard so you got combat training after that... You had some gravity boots and when you go to your place in the begining, the guy finds it's old computer system.

That's all I can remember, please help me find this game.

Top Bottom