• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming While Black

I hear her! As a man with body hair and general masculine features i feel game and jrpgs especially don't offer me any character choices. Peeps of Mediterranean (POM) heritage are regulated to low class jobs of plumbers and non-college educated careers surrounded by the beautiful androgyny of hairless fantasy nymphs. Triggered!.
Almost missed this gem. Maybe you should stop mocking a group that has been enslaved, discriminated against, and marginalized at every turn to make some foolish argument about political correctness. I'm guessing you are not black, right? Try looking at things through the eyes of those you seek to silence.

Gator86

This one really burns me up too. I saw a few people speak out about this and even chimed in on Twitter about it in the initial hashtag because I really really really can't stand it when "black" options boil down to two shades equally as lacking in warmth/life are chosen. It's always either "top of the pot of hot chocolate" frothy ashy dark or "charcoal as black people" midnight black with no in between.

Then best character Hau is just there enjoying life and a Malasada with a cool ass hairstyle to boot.

Yup, I've never met a grey person before. Most people of color I know are some shade of brown crazily enough. And sometimes they have features that differ from white people too. They're not always just brown white people. Someone should inform game devs.

Not shocked seeing some of the snide remarks here. I'd rather the people making it actually state their position outright and stop hiding behind snark and sarcasm.

That being said it is what it is. I do not voice chat on XBL due to racism by randoms and it typically wasn't the younger crowd it was grown ass men constantly yelling "nigger" whenever I spoke.

As far as the lack of customization options yup the struggle is real. Even games like Dragon Age Inquisition which I adore had me struggling with the 4 ethnically appropriate hairstyles for Black created characters. Then I get to the beard and it's wavy straight hair Wonderland.

The Sims. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

It's crazy how many non-black FF fans actually think that Fran is a black woman. :/
I think anime also has something to do with it. Whenever you see a darker skinned character they almost always have white, pink, blonde hair.

lum0s

Banned
You will not last long here with that attitude. This is a pretty offensive post.

I pretty much just shortened the entire dialogue two basic sentences. Unless you think someone simply disagreeing with you is what makes it offensive. Which wouldn't surprise me with SJW types, honestly.

FluxWaveZ

Try gaming while Arab if you really want to be uncomfortable.

I mean, like someone said earlier, you could make a thread about that instead of co-opting another focused on a different issue. It'd probably be equally as interesting, too.

SomTervo

FWIW Watch Dogs 2 absolutely kills it in portraying POC.

Black lead protagonist and important supporting protagonist, both written very well with wit and charm. In at least two main story missions their skin is directly discussed in the story. For instance how black people fit into the west coast tech community.

molnizzle

I mean, like someone said earlier, you could make a thread about that instead of co-opting another focused on a different issue. It'd probably be equally as interesting, too.

To be fair, I remember seeing threads like that before and they seem to die out much faster.

I don't understand why "Can we have more facial and hair features to represent minorities who play these games" is met with so much defense. Well I do, but jesus its so fucking silly.

It's because someone dared to criticize a game that they actually liked. It's very similar to the "nice guy scenario" that many women have to deal with. "How dare that bitch not realize what a nice guy I am and date me!" Anytime a game that is beloved is met with criticism for its depiction of POC, it's met with a huge amount of resistance. This is coming from a white women that's been with a black man for a number of years. I've literally seen it occur in person, in front of my eyes. Whenever my man has something to say about POC in media, I almost always see someone speak out against it.

I've had to correct a friend who actually said, "Why are developers forced to add POC for political correctness? What if they narrative they want to tell just so happens to star a white man and someone makes them change it!" I did it in a loving way, so that he actually thought about what he was saying. But that's so much harder to convey to a stranger on something as impersonal as the internet.

The discussion about POC is not about political correctness or destroying your favorite games. Representation matters for gamers of color to feel confident and cool. The whole point of the hobby is enjoyment through immersive interactivity. That's hard to do when you've always forced to be something you're not. Try to think outside your own perspective if you are constantly represented and have a little empathy.

Try gaming while Arab if you really want to be uncomfortable.

On the one hand, I do feel your unease. Sometimes *I'm* uncomfortable sometimes with how many middle eastern men I have to mow down. Thankfully, the fighting game community has become fairly inclusive (mainly because Dubai and Saudi Arabia are really receptive to the FGC). You have Rashid (my current new favorite!) from SFV and
Shaheen from Tekken 7.

Street-Fighter-V-Rashid.jpg

8PHH1.0.0.jpeg

But this is a bit off topic. Like what's been said before, representation needs to change for everyone. Let's all stand together, not fight about who has it worse :)

FWIW Watch Dogs 2 absolutely kills it in portraying POC.

Black lead protagonist and important supporting protagonist, both written very well with wit and charm. In at least two main story missions their skin is directly discussed in the story. For instance how black people fit into the west coast tech community.

It was very well written.

And it is always interesting to watch someone people use the "don't force the devs" argument to explain why representation does not matter and excuse it.

We've been discussing in detail how marginalized groups aren't well represented in games, but can we pivot for a moment and brainstorm ways to solve the problem? I mean, I'm really racking my brain here trying to think of the most effective solutions. Does it start with getting minorities into game development and hoping that naturally fixes the problem? Is it through educating those who enjoy natural privledge so that they may see the issue from a different perspective? Maybe sending letters to these mega corporations demanding change? Not buying their products if it just perpetuates the male power fantasy so prevalent in gaming?

ChanMan

We've been discussing in detail how marginalized groups aren't well represented in games, but can we pivot for a moment and brainstorm ways to solve the problem? I mean, I'm really racking my brain here trying to think of the most effective solutions. Does it start with getting minorities into game development and hoping that naturally fixes the problem? Is it through educating those who enjoy natural privledge so that they may see the issue from a different perspective? Maybe sending letters to these mega corporations demanding change? Not buying their products if it just perpetuates the male power fantasy so prevalent in gaming?

I think this is just a step here but a necessary one, it is going to take a lot of changing but I think we are a little far from it just seeing how minorities are represented in other media outlets even though it is getting a little better. I always shake my head at the "Luke Cage is racist" comments when that show first popped up.

It's all of the above, my friend.

Does it start with getting minorities into game development and hoping that naturally fixes the problem?
Do this at the smallest level you can. Support a black artist by buying a print online or at a convention. Commission them if they're open. Maybe donate a bit of money to a group that teaches young black kids to program. Many people just don't have the same opportunities and that needs to change.

Is it through educating those who enjoy natural privledge so that they may see the issue from a different perspective?

Absolutely, that's what we're doing right here by opening the discussion. Many people won't be very receptive, but you can change some hearts with enough patience.

Maybe sending letters to these mega corporations demanding change?

Letters yes, demands no. This is a good step for positive change. Send a well thought out e-mail with your thoughts and concerns. Developers aren't mind readers, and might need to be told how their audience feels. This is how politics work, you send your local representative an e-mail with your concerns, no reason a free market can't work in a similar fashion.

Not buying their products if it just perpetuates the male power fantasy so prevalent in gaming?

This I don't agree with, because you will never convince enough people to not buy the latest hot game for it to make a difference.The loudest voice for change is always going to be money. Instead of trying to boycott games that features a white male protagonists, try something positive. Feature a game that stars a POC in anyways you can (talk about it on your FB, Twitter, blog, etc.). Spend your money on a game that DOES feature a POC to show your support. When games like Remember Me don't sell well, it sends a message loud and clear that things shouldn't change.

18pnxnk80enj0png.png

Bold One

at the very least giant bomb gave us austin walker whos now gone on to do his own thing
back when gametrailers was around they had Rich brown, given he was more production side

And kotaku had evan narcisse and now has gita jackson

closest ign has is bobbya but he mainly just plays cod and 2k

but yeah seriously lacking diversity among gaming media seems at least 80% white male, 10% white female, and then 5% asian and ..... then other lol

im trying to even think of other black ppl who cover games in an official capacity: ngai croal... jamin warren ...... think thats it

I know Ngai and maybe Hiphop gamer....

Gita is the only black woman(?) I have ever heard of in the gaming press

aadiboy

"Gaming while minority" would be a better term. Why do all the movements for minority representation in games have to be separate, when they could surely be stronger together? And no, this isn't all lives matter bs.

"Gaming while minority" would be a better term. Why do all the movements for minority representation in games have to be separate, when they could surely be stronger together? And no, this isn't all lives matter bs.

Because sometimes the plight of minorities is non-uniform and nuanced, littered with history and context...

Sorry we can't package them all together into a satin-lined gift box, served with flowers and candy to make it more palatable for your tastes.

You're a full member. I would LOVE to see topics like "gaming while Asian," "gaming while Hispanic," & etc.

As you know, minorities are not monolithic.

Mista Koo

Related but no overtly so: I always find it interesting to look at my fellow Arab friends avatars/Miis and see who chooses the darkest white skin tone and who chooses the lightest black skin tone :p

Thankfully, the fighting game community has become fairly inclusive (mainly because Dubai and Saudi Arabia are really receptive to the FGC). You have Rashid (my current new favorite!) from SFV and
Shaheen from Tekken 7.
Yes! Not an FG but Overwatch too has Pharah and Ana, particularly Ana since she actually speaks Arabic and is voiced by an Egyptian.
I cosplayed Rashid earlier this year, partially using clothes I actually wear IRL. I'm hoping to do Ana sometime in the future.

There is Leigh Alexander too.

As far as guys go there is a US Gamer guy here whose name I forgot. His avatar is a picture of himself.

Lime

Check out

Spawn On Me
Shareef Jackson's Gaming Looks Good
Not Your Mama's Gamer
Mattie Brice
Simply Undrea
Tanya de Pass / I need diverse games
Brooklyn Skill Tree
Mike Williams at US Gamer
Justin Clark at Gamespot
Evan Narcisse (who mostly do comics now as far as I know)

There's so many great voices and shows out there.

Ashtar

Related but no overtly so: I always find it interesting to look at my fellow Arab friends avatars/Miis and see who chooses the darkest white skin tone and who chooses the lightest black skin tone :p

Yes! Not an FG but Overwatch too has Pharah and Ana, particularly Ana since she actually speaks Arabic and is voiced by an Egyptian.
I cosplayed Rashid earlier this year, partially using clothes I actually wear IRL. I'm hoping to do Ana sometime in the future.

There is Leigh Alexander too.

As far as guys go there is a US Gamer guy here whose name I forgot. His avatar is a picture of himself.
I had no clue Leigh Alexander was black, learn something new everyday

Nephilim

Banned
I didn't buy RE5 because it is blatantly racist to me. It's funny how the devs introduced a playable black character after backlash but she happens to have a light complexion. Pure ignorance, insensitivity, and a dash of racism made sure I will never give that game my money.

they're seeing money from you from other stuff so...? you cant not support a game but support the company

Ronin Ray

I just want to say I am glad this thread was made and it's sad but expected some of the typical nonsense has come out in this thread.

The this isn't racist because of this other thing. RE5 RE4

People not wanting to see the others point of view and want to argue as if it's a contest .

The lets come out and say well we have it worse as if its a contest. You know instead of that you could speak up and let you voice be heard.

The why are you just talking about black people and not us. Once again speak up and let your voice be heard .

The last of the bunch and the ones that always show up are the dismissive ones aka You people always complain and you're never happy group. They always hide behind lame jokes and sarcasm. They get more upset you talk about the issues, then the actual issues themselves.

I'm sure I missed a few but this stuff always comes up and bogs these typea of conversations down.

I play a lot of WRPGs and I always fully explore the character creators & yeah, the options for anyone who isn't a white caucasian are usually awfully limited.

Poor skin colour range is the one I really don't get. I can understand that hair in general can be tricky and requires more effort by devs to implement (not that this fully excuses the crappy selection) but skin colour?
Especially when there's quite a few options from very pale to tanned, with just 2 options darker than that or something. Makes no sense to me.

I know people have already said this but Dragon's Dogma has a BRILLIANT character creator with loads of options. Unfortunately that's the only wrpg I can think of off the top of my head where making a non-white character is just as easy as a white one,

I'd love to see/contribute to a comprehensive list of solid character creators in this regard.

I still remember being pleasantly surprised at how good the default black characters looked for the MGSV character creator. The hair wasn't perfect from a graphical standpoint, but, like with other aspects of the game, it was really good from an art perspective.

DR2K

Banned
Why does this have to turn into a 'who has it worst' type of thing.

When I hear my language spoken it's usually accompanied by gun fire in a video game. I'm not saying black people don't have room to complain, but you could easily say #gamingwhilecoloroed and be inclusive, since ultimately that's the point.

Print_Dog

I've been wearing dreads for 4 years now and I love when they are an option in character creators. But the longer my hair gets, the less likely I'll find anything that resembles it. I normally choose cornrows. But I never get my hair platted like that in real life anymore.

Also that ashy black dude skin color is depressing. This is a good topic, and I'd like to see if there's a difference in the future.

Sai-kun

Banned
When I hear my language spoken it's usually accompanied by gun fire in a video game. I'm not saying black people don't have room to complain, but you could easily say #gamingwhilecoloroed and be inclusive, since ultimately that's the point.

Erasing the nuance and individual issues that people face is generally not the best way to create inclusivity.

Blunoise

I truly think that most game developers think black people only play sports and shooter games. And when we are represented in gameing media, we are the best friend counselor type. Watch dogs 2 gave a great black man character, but the game didn't sell to well.....hmm I wonder why

Discussing representation issues in gaming in regard to black people doesn't preclude (inherently or otherwise) discussion of representation issues facing other groups marginalized in video games. I can't argue in favor of having appropriate depictions of black people in games without also arguing in favor proper representation of middle eastern people, or women in general, and so forth. A rising tide raises all ships, and support of #gamingwhilecolored is implied through the mere existence of this thread.

That said, there are specific issues facing depictions of black characters in games, just as there are specific issues facing middle eastern characters/representation. We shouldn't only ever call for support of something like #gamingwhilecolored when a certain group wants to discuss more specific issues they face.

I don't mean this in a dismissive, disingenuous way: make a thread that addresses your specific concerns about depictions of characters who speak your language. You won't see any opposition from anyone who truly cares about this particular thread, and you won't come across as if you're trying to turn this into a competition.

I truly think that most game developers think black people only play sports and shooter games. And when we are represented in gameing media, we are the best friend counselor type. Watch dogs 2 gave a great black man character, but the game didn't sell to well.....hmm I wonder why

Keep in mind WD2 followed WD1, a hyped up, overall disappointing game that experienced backlash. Quality and appeal of a particular game doesn't not directly translate to sales.

DR2K

Banned
Erasing the nuance and individual issues that people face is generally not the best way to create inclusivity.

On the flip side it also makes people who share similar nuances and issues less likely to empathize with said cause.

DemWalls

The forgotten games thread made me realize that Furi isn't really much talked about. I mention it here because the two main characters are black, and a few pages back someone asked about games with black protagonists, if I'm not mistaken.

Cool game, check it out if you like the genre.

Psn name spadeslayin4life pops into party chat first thing out his mouth is the n word... How much of a racist piece of shit do you have to be to make it your gamer name... Its pathetic

Top Bottom