• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

batbeg

A 90's computer game, might have been shareware as we picked up piles of that stuff all the time. It was an third person shooter, seemed to have an emphasis on humor and blowing stuff up. I think it was some sort of post-apocalyptic world, or a desert, something like that. There may have been rescuing of women/people.

Also, a Mac/Apple learning game, this one a point'n'click musical adventure where you have to solve different puzzles in different rooms in a castle or... something.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
NES beat-em-up game

I can sort of remember the first level (been years) there were enemies on motorbikes and a bald guy for a boss.

I used to play it all the time until the NES got stolen (bad neighborhood in Winnipeg at the time)

Replaying Double Dragon on VC made me curious as to what it is but lists of "nes beat em ups" always leave me empty (we only had a NES so it had to be on that system)

RobertM

It was an NES game, it was probably some hacked game, but basically it was a 2d brawler with superman and batman as lead characters which you could pick one or the other, and it had co-op. I do believe the environments were miniature and there was a level in a cave, but my memory could be deceiving me.

Chromax

Need the name of a arcade shmup that I played years ago...all I can remember is there's a dragon among the planes you can choose. (Not all dragons, so not Dragon Blaze)

bengraven

It was the last new arcade game I saw before our local arcade shut down in the late 90's, early 2000's.

You were a T-rex and basically just eating everything in your path in a Paleo world. You may have had a choice between dinosaurs, but it was very reminiscent of the old-school arcade beat em ups, only you were a T-rex trying to survive.

Red

Monroeski said:
I have nothing to go on for this game I'm trying to remember except that

1. It was on the original game boy
2. It was a fighting game
3. I think maybe one of the characters could jump off the side of the screen and come back with the hard ass attack to dodge, kind of like Vega in SF2 but he would actually go completely off the screen.

And I'm not even all that sure about #3. :lol Super vague, but I know I'll remember it when I see it.
Battle Arena Toshinden?

You sure it isn't SFII you're thinking of?

Gravijah

cmonmanreally said:
nice thread.

when i first bought my playstation it came with a disc with a bunch of game demos on it. there was one in particular that i vaguely remember playing where there was a stage in the shape of a cube, with a glowy-starry thing in the middle that up to for players had to compete with one another to get. a player could move to a corner of the cube, kick the wall, and the entire room would rotate in one direction, messing other players up. also i vaguely remember that there was a timer, and if you didnt do something before the time ran out, your character would catch on fire. also, there was a female voice over counting off the time limit. oh yeah and the characters looked like they wore dirt bike helmets (i think)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blast_Chamber

I'm 99% sure it is that.

BooJoh

Monroeski said:
I have nothing to go on for this game I'm trying to remember except that

1. It was on the original game boy
2. It was a fighting game
3. I think maybe one of the characters could jump off the side of the screen and come back with the hard ass attack to dodge, kind of like Vega in SF2 but he would actually go completely off the screen.

And I'm not even all that sure about #3. :lol Super vague, but I know I'll remember it when I see it.
Sounds like Mortal Kombat, lol.

RobertM said:
It was an NES game, it was probably some hacked game, but basically it was a 2d brawler with superman and batman as lead characters which you could pick one or the other, and it had co-op. I do believe the environments were miniature and there was a level in a cave, but my memory could be deceiving me.
A hacked Monster in my Pocket?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6EX52NMoq4

DTJAAAAM

Chromax said:
Need the name of a arcade shmup that I played years ago...all I can remember is there's a dragon among the planes you can choose. (Not all dragons, so not Dragon Blaze)

Raiden Fighters Jet?

bengraven said:
It was the last new arcade game I saw before our local arcade shut down in the late 90's, early 2000's.

You were a T-rex and basically just eating everything in your path in a Paleo world. You may have had a choice between dinosaurs, but it was very reminiscent of the old-school arcade beat em ups, only you were a T-rex trying to survive.

Dino Rex?

BooJoh said:
One game I'm always trying to remember was one I played in elementary school, on an Apple II I think. I think it was a spelling game that involved shooting apples with arrows or something. My memory of it is very vague so I could have some details wrong. I know the game had apples in it though.
word munchers?
p-640-480-1c2cfa57-ba2b-44f0-adf9-8b5ab5e3d116.jpeg

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
w3stfa11 said:
Good thread!

I've been trying to find the name of this game for a long time. I played it with my brother on the Super NES. It was a two-player game, kind of like a shoot 'em up similar to the 1942 game by Capcom. I think it had a helicopter and a tank. That's about all I can remember.

Btw, not sure if anyone ever played Number Munchers but I rediscovered the game earlier this month. Brings back so many memories.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_Munchers
SWIV? Or I guess superSWIV on the SNES?

Naruto

I remember a NES platformer where you play all child versions of Konami characters if I'm not mistaken. It was a great game with an awesome soundtrack. You even got to play a different version of the first NES Contra leve, I remember playing as a baby and their was another level which was filled with cakes and goodies. Anyone has any idea what I'm talking about? I've been searching this game for years.

Rlan

Ooo, another one - I really edutainment title I used to play at a friends house, which you drove a bus and had to pick up kids and take them to school. What was that?

Red

Naruto said:
I remember a NES platformer where you play all child versions of Konami characters if I'm not mistaken. It was a great game with an awesome soundtrack. You even got to play a different version of the first NES Contra leve, I remember playing as a baby and their was another level which was filled with cakes and goodies. Anyone has any idea what I'm talking about? I've been searching this game for years.
Wai Wai World?

DTJAAAAM

Naruto said:

Konami Wai Wai World 2?

gobassgo

Banned
There was this game, a 90's Windows game that ran off of a floppy disk. It was a kart-racer and I'm pretty sure it had 8 or 16-bit graphics. There were a bunch of animals.

Forkball said:
Anyways, I saw someone mention Battlezone on here and started to think about this tank combat game for the arcade. I think it was from Japan or had some Japanese name. I don't remember much about it except that it was two player and you could fight each other's tanks. One of the tanks was also white I think. Any ideas?
TOKYO WARS!!! I fucking love that game so much!

ENEMY TANK LEFT! ENEMY TANK RIGHT! BYE-BYE!

Naruto

It's Wai Wai World 2! I've been searching this game for ages! The last time I played this game was when I was eight years old.. Thanks DTJAAAAM and Crunched!

m3k

RobertM said:

BooJoh said:

batman and flash in this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgDGBTGkvPM&feature=related

BooJoh

viralmarketeer said:
word munchers?
I don't think this was it.. the game I'm remembering might have been math, but I'm not sure (but it wasn't Number Munchers either.) I think it was a lot simpler in design. I've been scouring Google and Wikipedia to no avail, I think this one might be a lost cause ;)

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
lsslave said:
NES beat-em-up game

I can sort of remember the first level (been years) there were enemies on motorbikes and a bald guy for a boss.

I used to play it all the time until the NES got stolen (bad neighborhood in Winnipeg at the time)

Replaying Double Dragon on VC made me curious as to what it is but lists of "nes beat em ups" always leave me empty (we only had a NES so it had to be on that system)
Renegade?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I remember playing some adventure game at school. Never got that far, but I do remember getting stuck in a treasure room and spending the rest of my days... doing something...

It was around 1997, so it was most likely made years beforehand, anyone have any clue about what it is ^_^;

lsslave

Jew Gamer
VideoMan said:
Renegade?

Nope, It wasn't that one I know that much (downloaded it hopefully since it was the one beatemup on VC I didn't recognize in their nes beatemup dropdown lol)

Siyou

i played these 2 imported games on my PS1 demo discs.

1. you were this sword that had to cut its way thru all sorts of mazes and such, you could control the speed of how fast u went and if u touched any walls u died.

2. you played as these monsters on these discs that u had and your objective was to hit your opponent and gather power by doing that. once u gathered enough power you could use your special move and deal damage to them. Lots of monsters and tons of fun as i recall it.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Siyou said:
iIs there a reason that this is not capitalized? played these 2 imported games on my PS1 demo discs.

1. youagain failure to capitalize wereis the word you are looking for "where" this sword that had to cut its way thruthrough? all sorts of mazes and such, you could control the speed of how fast uyou have used the word "you" already, and now regress to using just a letter? went and if uagain? touched any walls uand again? died.

2. youonce again no capitalization, the shift key is beside the "z" key played as these monsters on these discs that u/sigh had and your objective was to hit your opponent and gather power by doing that. onceSeriously? You used a "." it should be pretty reaction shouldn't it? uAHHHH gathered enough power youSee, you did it properly here!!! could use your special move and deal damage to them. LotsCAPITALIZED! ZOMG! of monsters and tons of fun as iWhen referring to yourself its proper to capitalize "I" recall it.

See me after class please
(edit: fyi I am not intending to be a dick but when you were saying "u" for "you" you hit a pet peeve of mine ^_^)

For #2 is it Monster Rancher? (for a response lol)

therapist

lsslave said:
NES beat-em-up game

Im probably wrong , but i hope you don't mean Bad Dudes , cuz that game sucked =P

lsslave

Jew Gamer
therapist said:
Im probably wrong , but i hope you don't mean Bad Dudes , cuz that game sucked =P

Definitely is not Bad Dudes, although when hammered it is a great game for laughing at!

VAIL

NintendosBooger said:
There was this NES game in where two players would control separate sides of a chess-like board. The pieces consisted of these fantasy-like monsters (dragons, unicorns, etc.). You'd face your pieces against that of your opponent until one side has been completely eradicated.

I used to play it a lot, but I can't remember its name.

Archon

.GqueB.

Banned
There was this game with a kid...

giant head... big fist. I think he played rock scissors paper against his foes or SOMEthing.

He had a bike or motorcycle too I believe. I remember playing this game a lot as a kid and quite frankly it sounds made up.

KevinCow

Banned
It was on the original Gameboy. The overworld was kinda like chess, I think, in that it was split into a grid and you had a piece per block. There was the giant, the knight, the wizard... Anyway, you'd move them around, and when you hit an enemy, it would go into a sort of Zelda-like overhead view and you'd fight.

To be perfectly honest, I seem to remember that it kinda sucked. I just wish I could remember what it was called.

Gravijah

Does anyone remember an early/mid 90s arcade game that was somewhat similar to the meteor stages in Star Fox? Damn it, that's pretty vague... But yeah I just remember shooting at meteors and such.

Siyou

lsslave said:
See me after class please
(edit: fyi I am not intending to be a dick but when you were saying "u" for "you" you hit a pet peeve of mine ^_^)

For #2 is it Monster Rancher? (for a response lol)
wut

lsslave

Jew Gamer
gobassgo said:
Yesss its this. Not Skunny Racers or whatever.
Its all coming back to me now oh god the nostalgia.

That title makes me wonder, how many mediocre mario kart ripoffs ARE there in the world? :lol

gokieks

Alright, this one's been bugging me for a very long time now.

A PC (DOS) strategy game set in space, but where there's an combat or action mode where you actually control a... robot, or something, I think in the battles. It's shown in a top-down view, but I unfortunately can't remember anything more than that. I want to say this was in the early to mid 90s, but I may be off on that.

Harteex

lsslave said:
That title makes me wonder, how many mediocre mario kart ripoffs ARE there in the world? :lol

Wacky Wheels is AWESOME.
At least that's what I thought back then.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
A formula 1 racing game for the gameboy. I think it was one of the earliest racing games released on the system, not sure though.

The view was overhead.

Dougald

I've been trying to remember this one for years:

- Master System
- Very Similar to 1942 - flying WW2-era planes, vertical shooter
- I think there was a superweapon you could drop, but I'm not sure

Its all clouded in memory from my early childhood and I've been trying to remember the damn game for the best part of 10 years... Help me GAF!

Traumahound said:
That sounds like Archon.

I performed a Google Image Search of Archon, and that was indeed the game! :lol GAF is awesome, thanks. Man, such great memories.

Was it fairly popular or am I one of the few shmucks to have owned it?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
stuburns said:
There's a Gameboy JRPG I used to play a ton, and I have no idea what it's called. I've been looking for it on and off for a few years now.

Knight's Quest by Taito? Great Greed by Namco? Any of the FFL series?

rocK`

Banned
I was just going to post in this thread, but then I realized I knew the game name

so I decided to turn it into a trivia game

beat 'em up for a ps2 game where the players gets new weapons involving a bow staff and whip chain sword

was a badass game

kswiston

I used to have this game for C64 where you were a little ship or something. You had to trap the monster of each stage in as small a portion of the screen as possible by cutting off sections of the stage.

Also, another C64 title. This one is really hazy. All I remember is shooting arrows at bees and other creatures. It had a fantasy setting.

Years ago, maybe around 1999, I played a crapload out of this PC Demo, can't remember at all how I came across it. IIRC it involved hovertanks that might have been able to transform into walkers, and the whole demo was in a green valley/forest-like area. I think it started with an B or H, and it wasn't Battlezone.

gamerecks said:
2 of them.

An arcade game where you play as a ninja. He was green and used scythes. He looked like a kid

Another was on the nes. You were a ninja, and could turn into an animal by holding a button down.

The arcade game is Kid Nikki

Here's one I played in a laundromat when I was a kid...

One on one fighter, I think barbarians and stuff. One of the enemies you fought was a half man half scorpion.

What game this is?

Top Bottom