• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PRINCE OF PERSIA!!!!

The game, Prince of Persia Zero, is being shown at Ubi Montreal in a week I think along with Far Cry 2's console versions. Or so I hear.

For all the incessant bitching about Warrior Within and The Two Thrones by the hardcore gaming community, you guys sure are pricks. I mean, you jump on the ignorant bandwagon and talk about how the other games were crap and only SoT was good.

But maybe if you played the game, instead of spouting off the same tired line as every other prick, you might have enjoyed the games.

Anyway, I can not wait for a new PoP. Best trilogy I've ever played.

dont quite understand the hate thrown at warrior within. it was a good game, though the hardcore metal guitar riffs was a bit much...

and someone should mention that the video loops... ive been waiting for something to happen... and nothing

Tendo

I haven't seen much or any hate for two thrones really. The stealth kills added a great dynamic to that game :)

When do those magazine issues shown earlier hit stands/ the net?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Soul4ger said:
Wow, if the game uses that style, I'm already excited. I hated the route the last trilogy went after the first installment.
It went in that direction because Sands of Time sold like shit.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
cjelly said:

this is what i don't understand about game development, and maybe someone who's more knowledgeable about the business side of things can inform me on. if we use the film industry as our model for projects being greenlit or influenced aesthetically by sales, it's at least an occasional occurrence that a large studio will take on what are essentially vanity or cachet projects that won't necessarily be huge blockbusters. does that sort of thing exist in the video game realm? i understand that ubisoft probably needs all the money it can get at the moment, but with assassin's creed doing so well, there's no reason they couldn't take prince of persia in a less safe direction. i guess that would be the best case scenario if ubi were to be merged with a large company like e.a.: more freedom to take on passion projects without having to godsmack-up the art style if something doesn't put up huge numbers.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
cjelly said:

Warrior Within didn't do much better.

And Sands of Time didn't sell like shit. Under expectations maybe, but it still was a good seller.

Snaku

Banned
ZealousD said:
And Sands of Time didn't sell like shit. Under expectations maybe, but it still was a good seller.

Well they did release it against their own better game, Beyond Good & Evil, which did worse (not hard to imagine since they poured all of their advertising into PoP and sent BG&E to die). Nevermind the fact that it was an absurdly jam packed holiday season that year too.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
what a completely pointless evaluative comparison. the games are extremely different and happen to both be quality, and it sucks to see either of them under perform.

Raide

beelzebozo said:
*Insert Long Post Here*

Best thing is to not compare the video games industry to the movie industry. While they do share some similarities, it is a completely different medium and very different prcoess to end up with a workable and saleable product.

Games that won't be blockbusters are usually termed Casual games (Some Wii titles, PSN, XBLA etc) and to say that developers don't go out of their way to produce something they really want to is wrong. Of course everything is about money but that is not to say that games designers are not making something they really love. The casual gaming scene is no longer seen as the budget/low sales area. This generation has seen a huge boost in the casual sector and more developers are getting the change to do side projects. (Mythos is one that comes to mind)

Ubisoft is doing very well in a business sense, so there is no need to merge with another company just to pursue different avenues. Ubisoft has a huge number of development teams around the world, so working on side projects is not unheard of. Not everyone in the industry can spend several years working on a "passion project", they need to be paid after all.

In regards to the new Prince of Persia art direction. You won't be disappointed in the art style at all. Ubidays near the end of May will shed more light on the project. :D

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
not sure how you're associated with the project or have that sort of information, but that's great news if true. and nice commentary on my post--you make some excellent points.

Zapages

Actually over time Sands of Time sold more so than Warrior Within, even though Warrior Within actually had better initial sales, those then died soon after the game released. Unlike with Sands of Time, which continued slow yet ready sales well into the years.

So the argument that Warrior Within was direction they took because of sales goes out the window because over time it did better than Warrior Within, Its like a few million better as well from what I remember...

ZealousD

beelzebozo said:
my chief concern is that the game be predominately linear. assassin's creed fulfills the nonlinear, stylish adventure game nicely; prince of persia (particularly with mechner's purported involvement) should be about a controlled, tight experience with a great story.

It's always been my opinion that the PoP trilogy is completely balanced in how the games are made. Great gameplay, great design, great story. The games fire on every cylinder and no portion is particularly weak.

Well, except for Warrior Within. The gameplay was strong but there were a some poor design choices (too much combat, buggy) and the story wasn't as compelling.

Zapages said:
Actually over time Sands of Time sold more so than Warrior Within, even though Warrior Within actually had better initial sales, those then died soon after the game released. Unlike with Sands of Time, which continued slow yet ready sales well into the years.

So the argument that Warrior Within was direction they took because of sales goes out the window because over time it did better than Warrior Within, Its like a few million better as well from what I remember...

I was under the impression that they all sold about the same once all was said and done.

Zapages

ZealousD said:
It's always been my opinion that the PoP trilogy is completely balanced in how the games are made. Great gameplay, great design, great story. The games fire on every cylinder and no portion is particularly weak.

Well, except for Warrior Within. The gameplay was strong but there were a some poor design choices (too much combat, buggy) and the story wasn't as compelling.

I was under the impression that they all sold about the same once all was said and done.

Nope Sands of Time sold quiet a bit more than Warrior Within... I think the difference was around 2 to 3 million difference that counts for all consoles put together.

Desi

ZealousD said:
but but the Dahaka. Awesome.

Combat was improved as well over Sands of Time. Still no their strong point in the series though.

OmonRa

Zapages said:
Nope Sands of Time sold quiet a bit more than Warrior Within... I think the difference was around 2 to 3 million difference that counts for all consoles put together.

That's because you like to include the SC bundles which shouldn't count and account for a major percentage.

Zapages

OmonRa said:
That's because you like to include the SC bundles which shouldn't count and account for a major percentage.

I am just going by the NPD numbers my friend... I do not know if they include the bundle or not.

ZealousD

Desi said:
but but the Dahaka. Awesome.

Combat was improved as well over Sands of Time. Still no their strong point in the series though.

The music always cut out during the Dahaka sections for me.

The combat was definitely improved (in SoT you either vaulted over an enemy or bounced off the wall) but there was just too much of it. Two Thrones was absolutely perfect in it's balance in this regard. The quick kill system was great, the great combat system from Warrior Within was preserved, and it didn't feel like you had to have a battle after every obstacle.

Desi

ZealousD said:
The music always cut out during the Dahaka sections for me.

The combat was definitely improved (in SoT you either vaulted over an enemy or bounced off the wall) but there was just too much of it. Two Thrones was absolutely perfect in it's balance in this regard. The quick kill system was great, the great combat system from Warrior Within was preserved, and it didn't feel like you had to have a battle after every obstacle.
That is true. Which is sad that Two Thrones does not nearly get mentioned enough. Game breaking bugs could be the cause of that?

Sorry to hear about your Dahaka musical experience then again, you weren't missing much and it may been for the better.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
yeah. quick kills in two thrones were totally ace. a great compromise between total control of a character and a quicktime event: the seamlessness of not having big buttons flash on the screen, and the flashy movements of the latter. here's hoping they continue refining that concept in the new game.

ZealousD

Desi said:
That is true. Which is sad that Two Thrones does not nearly get mentioned enough. Game breaking bugs could be the cause of that?

Who knows? All I know is that I think Two Thrones was the best in the series. The only area where I didn't think it surpassed Sands of Time was the music.

Anybody who throws Two Thrones in with Warrior Within as a crappy sequel needs their head examined.

Zapages

Well I found the figures:

Well nostalgia definitely changes things. But here you go:

By February 2004, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time had sold 718,390 copies AND it was still averaging a $48 price tag in that month.

By February 2005, Prince of Persia: Warrior Within has sold 633,962 copies and is averaging a $45 price tag.

In January 2004, Sands of Time generated $5,941,097 in revenue.
In January 2005, Warrior Within generated $3,093,742 in revenue (-48% change).

In February 2004, Sands of Time generated $2,338,330 in revenue.
In February 2005, Warrior Within generated $1,827,465 in revenue (-22% change).

Prince of Persia SoT (PS2) | 615,854
Prince of Persia SoT (XBOX) | 376,107
Prince of Persia SoT (GCN) | 197,627
Prince of Persia SoT (GCN-June 05) | 201,802
Prince of Persia SoT (GCN-September 05) |203,210
Total: 1,594,600

Prince of Persia WW (PS2) | 284,444
Prince of Persia WW (XBOX) | 271,050
Prince of Persia WW (GCN) | 78,468
Prince of Persia WW (GCN-June 05) | 91,611
Prince of Persia WW (GCN-September 05) | 103,014
Total: 828,587

Source: Ubi's Prince of Persia Forums

ZealousD

I just noticed something.

natalie-portman.jpg

44371.jpg

That concept art chick looks waaaaay too much like Natalie Portman.

Tendo

So end of May eh? Can't come soon enough to get some info on this. I am really loving the concept art so far. I'm glad to see another one coming, I got the impression the series was dead once AC came out.

Just about to wrap up WW in my replay and move on to Two Thrones.

BLU-82

Tendo said:
So end of May eh? Can't come soon enough to get some info on this. I am really loving the concept art so far. I'm glad to see another one coming, I got the impression the series was dead once AC came out.

29th April not May. :D

Great. SoT was awesome. Honestly, it was a really greta game that I enjoyed to death.

Ona second note, why do people say all the othe games in the series sucks? When in all honesty, I think the 2nd one is the only one that sucked but even then, the game was quite good except for a few things here and there.

If any of you bitches say PoP: TTH is a horrible game, you deserve a bitch slap. That game was amazing!

Anyways, can't wait for the news on this new PoP game. :D

ZealousD

FortunateSon said:
Ona second note, why do people say all the othe games in the series sucks? When in all honesty, I think the 2nd one is the only one that sucked but even then, the game was quite good except for a few things here and there.

Either they haven't played Two Thrones (and made a guess as to its quality) or they were so disillusioned by Warrior Within that even the slightest bit of content that reminded them of it made them reel in disgust.

Two Thrones was amazing and damn anybody that says otherwise.

Zenith

Banned
Ken K in the Fresh!!! said:
dont quite understand the hate thrown at warrior within. it was a good game, though the hardcore metal guitar riffs was a bit much...

and someone should mention that the video loops... ive been waiting for something to happen... and nothing

no, it really wasn't. I picked up the trilogy pack and had the misfortune of playing Warrior straight after Sands. I don't care about the "emo" stuff but the gameplay out and out sucked. horrible combat and unintuitive platforming. the 3rd one "fixed" some of the problems of Warrior but the core gameplay was still the same.

batbeg

Wow, I love that concept art. I never really played this series, I only ever did the Warrior Within on my ex's PC and the PSP (which was so bad I had to sell back because of shitty loading times) but I intend to properly try them one day.

Deadly Monk said:
The Wii version is supposed to be a different game.

Isn't this just what Surfer Girl has said though, or is there another source on it? Not that I'm saying it's impossible.

batbeg said:
Isn't this just what Surfer Girl has said though, or is there another source on it? Not that I'm saying it's impossible.
Oh come on.. it's a fair assumption in line with the rest of the industry.
ZealousD said:
I just noticed something.
You're not wrong. Someone should contact her pubicist to see if she's down to do a Prince of Persia movie.

Durante

beelzebozo said:
if we use the film industry as our model for projects being greenlit or influenced aesthetically by sales, it's at least an occasional occurrence that a large studio will take on what are essentially vanity or cachet projects that won't necessarily be huge blockbusters. does that sort of thing exist in the video game realm?
Team ICO.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
ZealousD said:
Warrior Within didn't do much better.

They both sold very well.

Btw, you know what? The new Prince should definitly be a Soul Calibur IV character! He would fit in perfectly, and recently Ubi did make some deal with Konami for the whole Assassin's Creed suit in MGS4.

DO IIIIIIT!

And wow at Nathalie Portman, that's her best picture.

Ether_Snake said:
They both sold very well.

Btw, you know what? The new Prince should definitly be a Soul Calibur IV character! He would fit in perfectly, and recently Ubi did make some deal with Konami for the whole Assassin's Creed suit in MGS4.
I'll give you a minute to figure out what's wrong with this logic train

Zapages

Tendo said:
I hope not. Movie tie in game, come on, you know that is a scary idea.

The movie and the game are two separate entities... Ubisoft does not own the right for the PoP Movie's game as for as I know.

Tendo

Zapages said:
The movie and the game are two separate entities... Ubisoft does not own the right for the PoP Movie's game as for as I know.
That is what I figured. I would think Disney will license that crap out. Sup Brash Int.

Not that I'm not looking forward tot he movie, I certainly am, but I don't think I've played a good movie tie in other than LotR since the Capcom SNES days.

jett

D-Member
cjelly said:

Sands of Time is still the biggest seller in that FUBAR'd trilogy. Ubishitheads fucking self-owned. If I was Jordan Mechner I'd take the franchise away from those fucktards.

Top Bottom