• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria debut trailer in high quality

Bladenic

He's one of the best Tales main designs.

Lmao Asbel's design sucks. He does look badass in his full body cut in for mystic artes but that's it. I like his color scheme though.

Anyway I'm kind of glad Okumura is designing characters because Ludger and Julius both looked great. Ludger looked better than Slay tbh

Soriku

Lmao Asbel's design sucks. He does look badass in his full body cut in for mystic artes but that's it. I like his color scheme though.

Anyway I'm kind of glad Okumura is designing characters because Ludger and Julius both looked great. Ludger looked better than Slay tbh

The lies. He looked great in his initial reveal too. Cool outfit as well.

asbel.jpg

Ludger is probably in the top 3 designs. Him, Lloyd, and then someone else. Julius looks good too.

Rpgmonkey

IIRC Famitsu is going to have some more info on the game coming on the 26th.

Slay doesn't look particularly exciting which is why I hope that there's something more interesting going on with him below the surface.

Below the surface he's the savior of the world and he'll get super powers and a magical sword.

But yeah, this game seems to be playing it straight for the most part. And looking at the characters, the story/world background, and the developer comments on what they're going for with this game, I wouldn't say this is all unintentional either.

They've usually been pretty honest when they say they're trying something that deviates from the status quo a bit, so when they say they're trying to dial things back to the SNES/PS1 era of JRPGs where the series started, I don't feel like they're saying something unbelievable. There's some "2013 interpretations of the 90s" stuff going on of course, but otherwise Zestiria seems a lot like the kind of JRPG you'd see back then to me (which would probably come across as really generic and typical by now, and it does, looking at some of the comments in this thread). One could make a good argument that it's not the best direction to be going in, but maybe if the execution isn't too bad...

gotta put myself again in par in terms of tales...
gotta finish gracesf..
gotta start xillia...
xillia2 on the way...
and now this one?
either i ditch my job or i ditch jrpg :|

Soriku

EDIT: Btw, I am working on compiling questions for an interview for Baba. If there are good questions I'll pick them and ask.

Ask him a question about how they're designing the world and if they're aware of the complaints of Xillia's world design (lots of copy/paste) and how they plan to address that if so.

Ask him if the ports are different too :p Though tbh that never bothered me much, since they're just ports and they're not going to be special anyway.

Ask him if they plan on trying something new with the story, despite them wanting to do something more classic with this game (though that may relate mainly to the fantasy setting).

See if you can get some details on the battle system.

demidar

Ludger is probably in the top 3 designs. Him, Lloyd, and then someone else. Julius looks good too.

Asbel looks like a disco knight, not that it can't be done well but his suit looks overdesigned. What is up with those things on his sleeves? His coat dangles outwards for no good reason. And popped collars? Really?

Below the surface he's the savior of the world and he'll get super powers and a magical sword.

But yeah, this game seems to be playing it straight for the most part. And looking at the characters, the story/world background, and the developer comments on what they're going for with this game, I wouldn't say this is all unintentional either.

They've usually been pretty honest when they say they're trying something that deviates from the status quo a bit, so when they say they're trying to dial things back to the SNES/PS1 era of JRPGs where the series started, I don't feel like they're saying something unbelievable. There's some "2013 interpretations of the 90s" stuff going on of course, but otherwise Zestiria seems a lot like the kind of JRPG you'd see back then to me (which would probably come across as really generic and typical by now, and it does, looking at some of the comments in this thread). One could make a good argument that it's not the best direction to be going in, but maybe if the execution isn't too bad...

Which is...beyond most of the series' ability to deliver. They always stumble if they do well and lose it by the end of the game. Having that be "fixed" with consistant characters, snappy dialogue, and a plot that...well, is plotted well would be a great step forward for the series. *goes back into that Persona/Trails rant about better light narrative*

Yuri
Ludger
Idk about third, Lloyd I guess.

Lloyd looked cool as hell, and came from clothes a miner like him would wear. Excellent execution.

Videoneon

Blasphemy indeed. I liked Asbel's design. unfortunately all the dudes had popped collars and I don't really care for those, but that aside I liked how something so conservative was taken to an unbelievably bizarre level of ostentation. He has an undershirt that wraps around itself (and is kept in place by those straps across his chest.) Black shoulders. So crazy. So good. It's one of my favorites.

Ludger, Lloyd, and Yuri are indeed cool designs though.

EDIT: Btw, I am working on compiling questions for an interview for Baba. If there are good questions I'll pick them and ask.

Please consider asking him to tease some of the thematic elements that we can expect to see for this game. We don't have word on that yet. Beyond dragons, fantasy and stuff, like defining justice and proper enforcement in Vesperia and enduring relationships in Graces. You had an interview a while ago that talked about inspirations for him (where Baba said he'd also be inspired by current events,)--maybe ask him if something in particular prompted this game's theme?

TheFatMan

I am so happy that we (probably) keep getting all of these great Tales RPG's over here in the States. I swear it felt like we had no good console RPGs for YEARS.

Datschge

I think you won't be able to ask stuff that they'll reveal themselves later on (like info about characters, game systems etc.).

But how about:
- Most of Namco's past games are known for their lush soundtracks while Tales Studio's games all never had any live musicians. With Shiina surprisingly joining as a composer can we expect a bigger budget music production for the whole soundtrack?

- How about a live concert with instrumental Tales music (i.e. not of JPop openings but of the in-game music)? Series like FF and DQ as well as the sister series SO already had plenty of them.

- Will you go for a single character designer again in a future Tales game, or is the current multiple character designers at once approach the new standard going forward?

- The Tales series saw a lot of spin off's on consoles and handhelds (especially on PSP) but after Twin Braves two years ago there have been only releases on mobile (iOS/Android) anymore. Are there plans to bring a spin off (e.g. a sequel to the Radiant Mythology series) to a console/handheld again?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Nothing really new, but it confirms that Sakuraba and Shiina are both composing for this. :)

I really hope Sakuraba doesn't phone in the effort again... playing Graces F, and the guy's skill has definitely devolved from the days of Phantasia and Baten Kaitos.

Soriku

I really hope Sakuraba doesn't phone in the effort again... playing Graces F, and the guy's skill has definitely devolved from the days of Phantasia and Baten Kaitos.

Xillia is better. But again my answer with regards to Sakuraba's quality is Resonance of Fate :p I need a RoF2.

Also those are good questions Datschge.

Top Bottom