• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Consoles you've regretted buying?

The one that springs to my mind is the 3DO. Bought it since it was the only console that had a Super Turbo port at the time, but I hated the damn thing. The load times were horrible and I never got used to the controller.

What are yours?

Current generation excluded as not to induce any flame wars.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Never regretted buying any console.

Even my most "fringe" console, the Sega Master System, had more than enough games for me to play.

Hell, that one became one of my all time favorites.

jett

D-Member
820249-playstation_3_super.png

I've wasted too much money on this thing, not just games but also multiple repairs. Eventually it died completely. Got a slim to replace it with, a purchase I don't feel too well about either. :p

PlayStation 3. In the end MGS4 was crap, which is why I bought it. I could have bought pretty much everything I actually care about this gen on the xbox(and have the better version as well). Don't really care about the exclusives outside of Uncharted, but I could easily live without that. At least FFXIII looks better on it and Gundam Extreme Vs is really fun.

There'll probably be a lot of Wii responses...
Probably, while I don't really play Nintendo games the Wii had NMH and Xenoblade. Those justified it's existence.

goldenpp72

Sega Saturn, I know snob gaf would be appalled by this, but as a kid without the means to import and do all that shit, as well as a person without the means to keep up with more niche titles, it was a pretty big disaster going from the genesis to the Saturn. Waited forever for a real sonic title, instead I ended up with Mr. Bones and bug, it had a few gems like Nights but was overall a huge turd for me at the time.

Oh and 32x, good god lol. If not for Blu ray i'd probably list the ps3, but it has some cool exclusives and is my primary movie player so I wouldn't part with it.

The Gamecube. I don't really care for the Wii either, but my daughter loves it and has a lot of games for it. So for that reason I don't regret getting it. The Gamecube however was just me and I think I owned maybe 10 games the entire life of the system.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Almost the PSP. Barely played the thing and didn't have many games. The games I did play though, I loved. So I can't say I fully regret it.

Omikron

Out of the ones I have purcahses... PS2.

I played it the least out of all the ones I have owned (MS2, SNES, N64, PS1/2, DS, Wii) as I was full time PC gamer by this point.

Kyoufu

Xbox

Milk was a bad choice.

Out of the ones I have purcahses... PS2.

I played it the least out of all the ones I have owned (MS2, SNES, N64, PS1/2, DS, Wii) as I was full time PC gamer by this point.

Mind blown.

The wii was the only console I ever sold.

Got my wii sports kick. Played Mario galaxy, then months of dust collecting and I said fuck it and got some pc / ps3 games trading it in.

drspeedy

Probably the Master System. It's not about regret from purchasing, but rather I regret that I probably never put more than 1-2 hours on any single game (save maybe Sonic 1). I've yet to finish a single game on it ever.

I know it's a great console, but I still struggle with a single game I need to boot up on it. Ideas are welcome, though...

I guess the Game Gear is really the only console I regret buying. Maybe the 360 also because once the PS3 came out, my 360 just sat there and collected dust so I finally sold it. But I had a ton of fun with my 360 when it was my only current gen console.

platinumdragon7

Neo Member
I know, this is dumb. But I once had a Gamecube and I was playing Resident Evil 4 mostly. I let my nephew borrow it and he deleted my save. I was so mad I never finished Resident Evil 4 or played it again and I let him keep my Gamecube.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Probably the Master System. It's not about regret from purchasing but rather I regret that I probably haven't even put more than 1-2 hours on any single title save maybe Sonic 1. I've yet to finish a single game on it.

I know it's a great console, but I still struggle with a single game I need to boot up on it. Ideas are welcome, though...

Phantasy Star, Aztec Adventure, The Ninja, and Zillion :)

Hyunkel6

None. I barely turned on my Wii these last 3 years, but I played it on a regular basis for a year when I first bought it. It's also the only console that I bought at full price.

32X.

Well, I didn't buy it. My parents got it for me for Christmas back in the day.

So I guess I feel bad that I convinced my parents to get it for me.

linkboy

Probably the OG Xbox. The only game I actually cared about on the system was NFL 2k. Once EA and the fucktards over at the NFL took that away from me, I really didn't care about the Xbox.

I'd also put the Genesis there as well. Not because it was a bad system (it wasn't), I missed out on the entire SNES lineup due to owning a Genesis.

theBishop

Banned
hmm... i guess none. Game Gear and Xbox1 would probably be the closest, but I owned a ton of games on both.

My 360 doesn't get much play, but mainly because i cheaped out and bought a fixer-upper. It's still a good system.

Erekiddo

PS3.

Bought it based off of the "backwards compatibility is going to be gone!" knowledge.

Should have waited for the slim.

PSP. Some good games, but generally a waste of my time and induced hand cramping.

To be fair, I regret almost every purchase at some point. I have a severe case of buyer's remorse for all things ever.

Wonko_C

I didn't know the Playstation even existed until I had my 64 already. I was always jealous of the tons of fighting games on the PSX. But in turn I got a Dreamcast after selling the N64.

Utako

Banned
I've never sold one of my consoles, but I feel like a consumer zombie for hype-buying the 3DS.

It just… takes up space that it didn't earn.

None, the only one I would regret would be The Wii, but a) I didn't buy it and b) I fucking love Super Mario Galaxy and Brawl

sky

3DO: It was new and intriguing, and 500 bones :/... fun for a while (samurai shodown, street fighter) but the gaming library never took off.

Sega Saturn: Probably blasphemous to say that, but I bought one many years after it sank, off of ebay. I'd heard praise of so many games, but it just didn't wow me.
It just felt old, and not in a cool retro way.

Toki767

Not because of the game library, but the original GBA because it had no backlight and the GBA SP was an improvement in every way.

SoulUnison

Banned
I regret buying the DSi.

It's an amazing little form factor, I love it as a system, the DS has an amazing library, but I feel like DSiWare never really took off, there weren't really any worthwhile DSi enhanced games, and not long after picking it up Nintendo announced the DSi XL, which made me realize how much the bigger screen was really what I was looking for.

I didn't pick up the XL, but I thought about trading the DSi in for it a lot, and then not long after *that* they announced the 3DS, which made me annoying about the DSi and about having considered the DSi XL.

The 3DS is great, though. Picked it up launch day and never regretted it.

I guess I'm mostly just saying that I hope Nintendo doesn't keep updating hardware form factors as often as they did during the DS generation.

Derrick01

Banned
Definitely the Wii. Only had it for a few months before realizing it had nothing I enjoyed playing. Despite researching I took a risk and it blew up in my face and I blame no one but myself for ignoring the research I did on it.

The DSi.
The camera and shop features were pointless and i prefered the smooth glossy shell of the lite to the rough dull matte texture.

I really hate to be that guy, but I think my answer would have to be the Wii.

I definitely don't regret it, but out of all of the consoles I've ever purchased, it comes the closest. It just didn't have the carrying power for me, when it came to software I wanted. The title I did buy, I enjoyed, but there just wasn't very many of them. I would have loved for it to have been as consistently supported with things I liked through this entire gen, but I've not been that fortunate.

There are certainly still quality titles coming out for it, but they're just not the things that appeal to me.

3DS, unfortunately. Have barely touched it since finshed Shadow Wars and bought my Vita. Mario games just don't do it for me anymore. I plan on getting RE Revelations, but if that doesn't get me back into it, i'll sell it.

Grisby

The Wii at launch price. I like the system well enough now but its definitely my least played console and I only have about 7 or so games for it.

Ryuuga

Banned
PS3, I bought one just last year on the cheap after having previously playing some of it's greatest hits I figured well I still have TLG and VersusXIII to look forward to. I'm still saying that...

To be honest to those who were not satisfied with the PS2 I was personally not so thrilled about the PS2 to begin with the first two years. However when Devil May Cry and eventually Final Fantasy X arrived I was proud of owning that machine. After 2002 amazing titles kept appearing until the PS3 launched. Yes I did try 1st party Sony software but was not so impressed by most of it. Actually the only 1st party software that amazed me on the PS2 was God of War.

I don't really regret my consoles much, but I will say that PS2, PSP, GBA (all those freaking ports!) were at time weak investments until the games that I really fancied started appearing. Nintendo consoles are guilty of dry periods too but the first party software has made me busy at least during the dry periods.

Top Bottom