• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst Case Scenario for the Vita

jrDev

The problem is that you think Nintendo can remain competitive by remaining separate from their own products, charging you $5 for super Mario bros 1 on Wii, then charging you $5 more for Super Mario Bros 1 on 3DS, you are wrong.

The iOS model of unified purchases across all platforms is clearly a superior choice for the consumer's game purchase.

If you honestly think otherwise, then you are ok with rebuying same content on different platforms from the same company and there's really nothing I can say to change your mind.

Sony really dropped the ball on that too. They could have done something like: Bring your UMD games to a Sony store, turn them in and get those games added to your playstation account. Boom, instant game library for Vita that you already paid for once. Nobody that has a PSP and UMDs wants to rebuy those same games digitally.
Wait a minute...does Nintendo do this? I don't remember seeing the same mario vc games on both systems....

Also, I am looking forward to the real GOW sequel being announced at E3 for Vita!!!

Still sounds very cumbersome compared to a unified online store with purchases tied to your user account. That is the current successful model in the mobile space and has become the expectation of online game stores.

Steam, GOG, iOS, Android. All provide a record of purchases tied to an account. I don't need a "transfer utility" when I buy a new PC or iPhone.
Cut them Pikmins some slack, moving is hard.

entremet

Wait a minute...does Nintendo do this? I don't remember seeing the same mario vc games on both systems....

Also, I am looking forward to the real GOW sequel being announced at E3 for Vita!!!

Yes. You have to rebuy each game for each system.

rpmurphy

If you remember, the ambassador games were NES and GBA games. Later, NES games like SMB, Metroid, and Punch Out have started being released as VC games on the eShop.

BigDug13

That was an example. The game title doesn't matter. My point was that Nintendo's current pricing/download model would do exactly that. Charge you twice for the same ROM to play it on two systems.

lol. I pray this is sarcasm.

I read the reply wrong. I skipped on the 3DS at launch and waiting for a revision before buying mine. I've also stayed away from the VC when I found out that you couldn't do Wii-Wii transfer of titles on a user level. Hey, if they do this with the WiiU, that will be great. They can finally join 2005 when the 360 had it.

Correct me if I'm wrong though if you buy content through the 3DS and the system is lost then you buy a new one... you are still screwed out of all your content... correct? Or can you redownload everything you bought previously like you can on PSN and XBL?

I read the reply wrong. I skipped on the 3DS at launch and waiting for a revision before buying mine. I've also stayed away from the VC when I found out that you couldn't do Wii-Wii transfer of titles on a user level. Hey, if they do this with the WiiU, that will be great. They can finally join 2005 when the 360 had it.

Correct me if I'm wrong though if you buy content through the 3DS and the system is lost then you buy a new one... you are still screwed out of all your content... correct? Or can you redownload everything you bought previously like you can on PSN and XBL?
Just because Nintendo's laughably outdated doesn't mean you should be. You didn't read anything wrong, you were just flat out ignorant on the subject and stepped right in it.

As far as recovering digital content, provided you link everything to a Club Nintendo account, Nintendo will allow you to get it back in case of loss/theft/destruction. With DSi and Wii you'd need to send a system to them, I'm not sure if 3DS is the same or they just open the download up from their end. They'll be instituting an XBL/SEN-like account system this year in preparation for their 3DS digitial shift and Wii U launch though, so this should be even less of an issue.

At the January investors meeting, Iwata said they are making such an account. You will be able to browse to an online store and buy a game for your 3DS while at work, and your 3DS at home will download it automatically and have it waiting for you when you get home.
Oh, I totally missed that, that's pretty neat for it to download automatically. I hope we can do the same for DD retail releases.

Top Bottom