• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst Case Scenario for the Vita

Foffy

Banned
The price drop was timed to be close to the launch of Nintendo's AAA software. If Sony lopped $50 off of the Vita's price right now, it still wouldn't sell.

Was it really? I never noticed. Was it done to battle the DS? Because when Nintendo usually does something with the DS (as they've done with the 3DS) it's a frequent release of games every single month for a number of months.

You're missing the point.

You can't get dual screens on a console right now.
You can't get touch screens on a console right now.
You can't get 3D (without glasses) on a console right now. You can get 3D but not without glasses.

The same kind of non-portable games were also in GBA, without dual screens, touch screens or 3D. And they sold. Or what were the touch or dual screen uses in most of the best sold DS games, like Mario Kart or NSMB?

What it matters is the software. If there are games worthy in a portable console that are not in the home console, people will buy it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
They give them away free at Taco Bell with purchase of a Crunch Wrap Supreme and cause a national diarrhea epidemic, flooding city streets with diarrhea and reigniting cholera outbreaks worldwide. Humanity's cognitive function degrades quickly, resulting in Vita threads on GAF and the election of Mitt Romney. Romney threatens Sony and the Japanese government responds in defense by nuking Buckingham Palace and dropping millions of copies of Hatsune Miku Project Diva on Oklahoma, confusing literally HUNDREDS and forcing a mass movement of Icecream types west. Remaining brain function is entirely eliminated as civil society breaks down.

bede-x

Worst case scenario is that it's abandoned by third parties, but even if that happened, it would still be a system that can play PS1 games(we know it's coming), PSP games and some Vita specific titles. A system that comes equipped with a georgeous screen and two analog sticks.

As such, even in the worst case scenario, it would still be worth owning.

entremet

Why are people saying wait to E3. Obviously the price point is what's killing it, regardless of any game announcements.

Jeels

But even with the doom and gloom in the early period of the 3DS, we had big games to look forward to. We knew Kid Icarus, Super Mario 3D Land, and Mario Kart 7 would be big games. As much as I'll probably enjoy Gravity Rush, that's not nearly in the same atmosphere as those games, and that seems to be the biggest standout out of Sony's first party affairs.

I don't believe we knew about Mario 3D Land until a few months into the 3DS launch. People were complaining when it was announced that it should have been the launch title.

They give them away free at Taco Bell with purchase of a Crunch Wrap Supreme and cause a national diarrhea epidemic, flooding city streets with diarrhea and reigniting cholera outbreaks worldwide. Humanity's cognitive function degrades quickly, resulting in Vita threads on GAF and the election of Mitt Romney. Romney threatens Sony and the Japanese government responds in defense by nuking Buckingham Palace and dropping millions of copies of Hatsune Miku Project Diva on Oklahoma, confusing literally HUNDREDS and forcing a mass movement of Icecream types west. Remaining brain function is entirely eliminated as civil society breaks down.

Sounds like the plot of the next Mission Impossible movie.

You're my favorite poster on the Citadel

zroid

Banned
BY releasing ports of Star Fox and Zelda, then following that up with Mario 3D land and Mario Kart? All of those are console experiences in handheld form.....

You're right about Star Fox, and that's why it sold like crap. OoT did well because it's OoT, and with a massive visual overhaul, so it's unsurprising people flocked to it.

As for the bolded, 3D Land is not a console experience, not even close. And Mario Kart was always better suited to handhelds, it just happens to do well on any platform. These latter two are exactly the types of things people want to play on handheld systems, and they have the Mario brand to convince gamers of their quality.

And, as others have already mentioned, glasses-free 3D is a pretty cool gimmick that you can't get anywhere else. Literally every 3DS game is unique from its console compatriots because of it.

As for the bolded, 3D Land is not a console experience, not even close.

If 3D Land is not a console experience, none of the main Super Mario Bros main series, including Super Mario World, are, too. And I want to remember that New Super Mario Bros didn't even allow to save after finishing a level.

I feel like this has been mentioned so many times before, but sales-wise, Vita's launch was even worse than 3DS's launch, and the 3DS at least had Mario games coming for it. People like to point out the comeback the 3DS made, but the Vita is not in the same position.
I didn't mention sales because I don't particularly care for sales, I'll leave that to the wannabe analysts in the NPD thread.
All I'm talking about is content, where the Vita has vastly surpassed what the 3DS had to deliver in the first few months. The only games I had for my 3DS up until I got Super Mario 3D Land were Ghost Recon, Pilotwings, and the Ocarina of Time. As for the Vita? Escape Plan, Mutant Blobs Attack, Unit 13, Uncharted, WipEout, Stardust, etc.... all within the very first month. Granted, some of the games I listed aren't what some would consider AAA games (I'm not a big fan of Escape Plan, for instance), but it sure as hell is a better effort than what the 3DS had.

Anyway, the thread is about the worst case scenario for each individual user, and since it has surpassed mine, I'm looking forward to the future. Gravity Daze is going to be amazing, and anyone with a brain knows that Sony is going to bring the goods come E3.

eww

You are hoping for THAT? :/

Those games have been always better suited for home systems. The PSP had too much of these PS2-on-the-go experiences, and it sucked balls for that.

I'm with you. I hated the psp initially, but thought it really started to come together in it's ending days.

Foffy

Banned
I don't believe we knew about Mario 3D Land until a few months into the 3DS launch. People were complaining when it was announced that it should have been the launch title.

It was announced by Satoru Iwata at GDC last year, which happened at the start of March, the same month the system dropped in US/EU. It just didn't have the name we call it, it was just Super Mario 3DS.

zroid

Banned
If 3D Land is not a console experience, none of the main Super Mario Bros main series, including Super Mario World, are, too.

You're talking about games from different eras. Those were released more than two decades ago, you can't compare them to expectations today. 3D Land's levels are extremely short, shorter even than most levels on the NES and SNES Mario platformers. It incorporates fun gimmicks that make use of StreetPass. It would not be a game I'd want to play on consoles, that's for sure.

(I mean, I probably would, because I love it to bits, but it's designed to work especially well for the 3DS. Glasses-free 3D is a big part of that too.)

Jeels

It was announced by Satoru Iwata at GDC last year, which happened at the start of March, the same month the system dropped in US/EU. It just didn't have the name we call it, it was just Super Mario 3DS.

Ah okay, thanks for the clarification. Regardless, people were really unhappy with a barren 3DS software line up from launch up to Zelda, and then from Zelda up to that huge price drop...

Foffy

Banned
You're talking about games from different eras. Those were released more than two decades ago, you can't compare them to expectations today. 3D Land's levels are extremely short, shorter even than most levels on the NES and SNES Mario Bros. games. It incorporates fun gimmicks that make use of StreetPass. It would not be a game I'd want to play on consoles, that's for sure.

(I mean, I probably would, because I love it to bits, but it's designed to work especially well for the 3DS. Glasses-free 3D is a big part of that too.)

True, but Nintendo has flip-flopped with these types of ideas. New Super Mario Bros Wii on a console and Ocarina of Time on a portable are sort of the opposite experiences I'd be expecting on those platforms.

antonz

Vita has alot going against it including its predecessors performance. This puts alot of added pressure on Vita.

3rd parties are going to leery because of the PSP and when they make a Vita title it needs to perform magnificantly or they will write it off as just another PSP.

Sony needs some really big guns on the system by A teams. Not A Team Franchises done by B and C teams.

zroid

Banned
True, but Nintendo has flip-flopped with these types of ideas. New Super Mario Bros Wii on a console and Ocarina of Time on a portable are sort of the opposite experiences I'd be expecting on those platforms.

Yeah, I think NSMBW worked on the Wii in large part because of its 4 player co-op. I think that was a huge draw, and it's a very "Wii-like" thing.

Once they get down to $200 and put some on board memory on the machine so games can boot then put in a game in the box people will pay a little more attention to it. Also, games need to be average $30 and capped at $40 like the PSP. But at $250 and *required* memory card and $50 games... people are looking the other way.

gran turismo and gran turismo 2 hit at the right time- when the n64 was looking bad and the saturn was dead. gt3 came out at the start of the ps2's life, and gt4 hit at the height of its popularity.

gt psp was released nearly five years after the system had released. it mattered as much as pokemon stadium 2 (3) did on the n64.

GT3 released about a little over a year after the PS2 was on store shelves.

Ecotic

Most of my friends don't even know the Vita has been launched when I asked them their opinion about it. The actual PS Vita hardware itself looks nearly identical to a normal PSP in a Gamestop demo station, especially to somebody who isn't specifically looking for it. I made that mistake myself.

Vita has alot going against it including its predecessors performance. This puts alot of added pressure on Vita.

3rd parties are going to leery because of the PSP and when they make a Vita title it needs to perform magnificantly or they will write it off as just another PSP.

Sony needs some really big guns on the system by A teams. Not A Team Franchises done by B and C teams.

Or at least be creative with those franchises. Don't just give me a watered down version of the console experience.

impact

Banned
Most of my friends don't even know the Vita has been launched when I asked them their opinion about it. The actual PS Vita hardware itself looks nearly identical to a normal PSP in a Gamestop demo station, especially to somebody who isn't specifically looking for it. I made that mistake myself.

Nintendo and Sony both did this. I'm not sure it's too stupid because the Vita feels good and I can play for 3+ hours without any hand pain. 3DS on the other hand....

Call of Duty Cancelled and announced for 3DS.

Imagine the uproar. lol

With no PES title on Vita this year, that shows the bad position Sony is in considering it is a big seller on all Sony consoles.

That news would have spooked publishers for sure.

What the Vita really needs right now is a key portable experience that will sell the hardware, much like the touch generation games, Nintendogs, Animal Crossing and NSMB on the DS, and Monster Hunter for the PSP (and 3DS in Japan)

It's not really about the game being hardcore or not... You can't really just translate console experiences to portable and expect the game to work; the game has to be built with the hardware in mind and how the player will be playing the game, at what kind of places will it be, for how long, and etc.

The Hermit

Hmmm, I really can`t imagine it doing worse than now. I mean whats worse than competing on sales with a system that is completely dead (Wii) in Japan?
Worst case scenario is Sony cancelling the Vita at E3 though.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
There wasn't any uproar when Call of Duty came out on DS, so I expect nobody will care if it moves from Vita to 3DS either.

Oh, I think there will be some serious meltdowns if a CoD doesn't come out for Vita. I expect it to be on 3DS as well.

Aeana

Oh, I think there will be some serious meltdowns if a CoD doesn't come out for Vita. I expect it to be on 3DS as well.
From whom? I'm not really all that convinced that Call of Duty fans en masse really want to play the series on a handheld in the first place.

JJD

I love my vita, and I am hoping it really takes off after E3 and especially the holidays.

Call of Duty Vita
Assassins Creed Vita
Killzone Vita
God of War Vita
LBP Vita

etc etc etc will really push sales and make room for new IP's.

I would much rather play all those games on the PS3 or 360 than on a portable.

I'm still excited to get my already brought Vita next week. Granted besides Uncharted I'll be playing mainly PSP games since I never owned one of those, but I have no doubt good games are coming.

The PSP is regarded as a failure by many, but there are lots and lots of great games for it, and even some amazing ones. If the Vita performs the same, I will be satisfied.

The PS3 endured a drought of more than a year but I would say it was worth waiting for all the amazing exclusive games it received, and the Vita will be the same.

Gaming is as important or even more important now to Sony than most of their other business. They won't allow the Vita to really fail.

The system has been released for less than 6 months, people are just desperate to see Sony embarrass itself. We've had similar threads like this one by the dozens (no offense OP!).

The 3DS was in the exact same spot just a couple months ago, and look at were it is now. Sure Nintendo first party games are a big reason for the turnaround, but they're not the only one.

Sony still has a lot of options regarding the Vita, the game has just begun.

I wish people would realize that Vita success is good for gaming, there's so much doom and gloom here on GAF.

AniHawk

GT3 released about a little over a year after the PS2 was on store shelves.

i know i'm mixing up america and japan at this point. in america, the psp couldn't be saved. in japan, it had already been saved by the 2000-series, crisis core, and monster hunter.

in america, gt3 was one of the early big games for the console and bundled with the system.

MC Safety

The worst case scenario is the Vita never carves out an identity, and cannot compete with the other, cheaper and more established consoles and handhelds.

People have a lot of choices when it comes to games and game units. Simply being the newest kid on the block won't cut it.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
From whom? I'm not really all that convinced that Call of Duty fans en masse really want to play the series on a handheld in the first place.

Vita owners who want some games to play! They're starving as it is, and Call of Duty HAS to be one of the Vita games they're hoping to see at E3. You think western Vita owners are waiting for Monster Hunter? Hell no, they want a port of the latest console CoD in handheld form for the first time ever.

Top Bottom