• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Dougald

I don't understand the attitude, I really don't. I honestly have to restrict my posting in that sort of topic because I would definitely end up banned otherwise

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Glad you're ok SatansReverence, that's some scary stuff.

While that other thread is tough to read, it's a good reminder to see those reactions every once in awhile to have in the back of your mind while riding. I drive as if everyone else is negligent( while on my bike, motorcycle and truck) but it's still a good reminder that there are many drivers out there who get angry or anxious just seeing a motorcycle near them.

I do the same thing but in this instance I spent a little too long checking my surroundings before returning my focus to oncoming threats and I paid for it.

I glad I randomly decided to wear my full motorcross boots instead of shoes or road bike boots as my right foot took most of the impact.

Dougald

You can only do so much mate, just chalk it up as yet another reminder that most people aren't attentive enough to see bikes and be thankful you're ok. And plan what you're going to spend that write-off cash on!

Weather tomorrow has returned to standard British June of ~20c, cloudy and intermittent rainshowers. Perfect for a bit of biking and a sausage sandwich at BMW, I think I will head down.

razielim

I don't understand the attitude, I really don't. I honestly have to restrict my posting in that sort of topic because I would definitely end up banned otherwise

Same. I don't post much in general because I don't have the time to really get into a forum discussion nor do I understand people that have such a hate on for anything they don't like personally. I get it, someone upset you once while on the bike but calm down with the all bikers are pieces of shit talk lol.

I do the same thing but in this instance I spent a little too long checking my surroundings before returning my focus to oncoming threats and I paid for it.

I glad I randomly decided to wear my full motorcross boots instead of shoes or road bike boots as my right foot took most of the impact.

Good on you for wearing your gear! While it hasn't saved my life yet, I don't want to be without when the time comes.

OraleeWey

Sigh... For some odd reason I miss my '06.
Bt6gpsKr.jpg

Wish I had some riding buddies as well. My cousin is trying to get into riding. He's going to get his permit this summer (he's 15¾). Unfortunately, the MSF course is not an option unless you're over 18. If you're underage, DMV won't accept the MSF certificate. They want you to pass the riding test at DMV, if I understand correctly. Trying to start him on an XT250. Any objections? He's gotta get a job first obviously. But his dad is willing to buy him one as long as he has a "responsibility".

Preach it!
I find having a pair of engineer boots is nice to have. They look very fashionable and are great for riding since they come up about 11 inches. A lot of modern gear does the job bit it doesn't look like something you can wear with a suit so a pair of pull on leather boots is nice to have too.

Here is a good brand https://www.wescoboots.com/builder/MensCustomBoot.aspx?id=Boss

These are very expensive though. There are cheaper brands put there.

Are you heading to Bahnstormer for the BBQ?

How are they with late-notice/turn up and ask test rides? I was thinking of trying to get a go on that Urban GS and/or the R1200RS
I can recommend the R1200RS. Just hit 1 year and 8k miles on mine this week. The only things I want to address are maybe some handlebar risers and a bigger screen. Neither of which are big jobs really.

The parallel on the Bonneville had a very even power delivery, so it was just a bit dull, no real punch. I have heard that the engine on the Honda is actually very good though, so I'm keen to try it out! I absolutely love the tricolour one with the gold wheels. The bike is very affordable too, I could actually afford to buy a new one. Both the RS and Multistrada I'd have to get used.

izXg27d.jpg

As a dark horse, I actually do like the VFR1200X a lot as well, but the Africa Twin is definitely a bike that will stand the test of time, IMO

In the end it'll come down to which puts the smile on my face. That's how I ended up with the Monster when I was sure I was going to get something else.
The engine on the Africa Twin is lovely. Loads of character and sounds great with the stock exhaust. It's a very tall bike but narrow. I could just manage it at 5'7" with the low seat but wouldn't want to take it through much traffic. Only missing cruise control which I've love on the BMW.

Dougald

Yeah, I'm the same height as you and the size is the only thing that worries me. I did sit on one at a bike show and it seemed ok, but I believe that was the low seat. The bike doesn't look as "premium" as the Euros but considering its a good £6k cheaper than a GS or a Multistrada, that's to be expected.

I can recommend the R1200RS. Just hit 1 year and 8k miles on mine this week. The only things I want to address are maybe some handlebar risers and a bigger screen. Neither of which are big jobs really.

This is my only concern with the RS as I prefer taller bars, but I think its a gorgeous bike. I guess I could always go for a GS but they're just a bit too expensive for my taste

How do you find filtering on the RS? I'm always a bit wary of doing it on our 1150 due to the width of the engine.

Ducati Multistrada (may discount for the same reason I will eventually sell the monster, dealer moved away)
rNineT Urban GS
R1200RS
Africa Twin

I'd like something I can comfortably take up to the Scottish Highlands or down to Switzerland. The Urban GS is a bit of a wildcard but I just think its super cool

Look, I know my Uly broke. But you should still totally try one :p. Thing's just awesome.

Mainly because:

In the end it'll come down to which puts the smile on my face.

Yeah. It'll win in that regard.

Love spending less in fuel for a this whole weeks worth of commuting + sunday joyriding than I did for a single day's tube fare last week

Infinitely more fun and takes 1/2 the time too, found a nice hill with lots of curves on the way up and down too.

OraleeWey

bit of a diagram i whipped up of what happened to me last night. blue is me (at speed limit) red is the car and yellow is where I ended up after flying through the air landing head first on the bitumen
XmW7yun.png

*update*

Been to hospital and got some xrays, wrist is sore but ok. Ankle on the side I was hit is fractured :(

the boots I was wearing that probably saved me from losing a foot

Looks brutal man. Glad you're okay. You said you landed head first, it could have been much worse. You'll recover.

Scarecrow

Hey guys. I'd like some recommendations. Been spending some years abroad and I'm looking to return to the US in the next year. I'm skipping the car to go straight to a bike.

I'm looking for something along the lines of my old 2007 Honda Shadow. Cruiser, not too big, reliable rock-solid manufacturing. I've been riding Hondas for the last decade. I prefer their reliability. I'm open to any make, as long as it's solid. Could I get some recommendations for bikes I should look out for when I return home?

This is my only concern with the RS as I prefer taller bars, but I think its a gorgeous bike. I guess I could always go for a GS but they're just a bit too expensive for my taste

How do you find filtering on the RS? I'm always a bit wary of doing it on our 1150 due to the width of the engine.
You can get some risers from nippy Norman's and they're not expensive. http://www.nippynormans.com/nippy-n...silver-risers-25mm-closer-r1200r-lc-and-rs-lc

I don't have any issues filtering with the engine. I have more problems with the mirrors than the engine. The mirrors don't fold in very well.

Hey guys. I'd like some recommendations. Been spending some years abroad and I'm looking to return to the US in the next year. I'm skipping the car to go straight to a bike.

I'm looking for something along the lines of my old 2007 Honda Shadow. Cruiser, not too big, reliable rock-solid manufacturing. I've been riding Hondas for the last decade. I prefer their reliability. I'm open to any make, as long as it's solid. Could I get some recommendations for bikes I should look out for when I return home?

Yamaha Bolt?

Dougald

Yamaha XV950? I'm afraid I've only ridden one cruiser in my life and that was the Triumph America (which was fine, it was just a Bonneville with a cruiser riding position)

Doesn't the Scout pretty much contravene the rock solid engineering requirement? Honda touring looks pricey though, can't tell how bulky the ST1300 is.

As a previous owner of an ST1100, they're not that big compared to say, a BMW, but what they are is heavy. I mean really god damn heavy. I think the 1100 is 300kg wet wheras our R1150R is about 240 despite being physically larger

Great bikes though.

Doesn't the Scout pretty much contravene the rock solid engineering requirement? Honda touring looks pricey though, can't tell how bulky the ST1300 is.

Haven't heard anything about Scout's reliability stuff, all I know is that when the 2015 model came out it was basically universally acclaimed. And IMO it's the sexiest cruiser there is.

I have my dad's old '72 or '73 Honda CB750-Four that's been sitting for about 23 years, 10+ of those out in the elements.

I'd to get it running and use it but I have no knowledge of motorcycles, what that would entail, and how much that would cost.

Halp?

Scarecrow

Thanks for the suggestions. How are Yamaha's engines compared to Honda's?

Researching the Bolt. Not too familiar with bike terminology. What's the difference between r-spec and c-spec?

OraleeWey

Thanks for the suggestions. How are Yamaha's engines compared to Honda's?

Researching the Bolt. Not too familiar with bike terminology. What's the difference between r-spec and c-spec?

Quick google search shows that c-spec is a cafe racer style.

Guys, there's this one motorcycle that I just keep coming back to, thinking to myself, "for that price, I'd love to own one".

It's a Honda CTX 700

All I keep thinking about is taking this on the highway across every state line surrounding me. Not that my KLR650 can't do it, but the CTX 700 would probably do it much more comfortably. Plus there's no such thing as having too many bikes. I could get a 2014 model for $4,000. Honestly, considering how much I keep thinking about that bike, I could be crazy enough. The price point is very appealing though. Only problem is that's it's an automatic DCT. I'm just not in a position to own two toys right now. Maybe someday?

OraleeWey

Ah I see. Yeah, the 2014 probably doesn't come with the luggage but considering it's been sitting since 2014, maybe I could negotiate the price down or the luggage for free. But that's out of the question for now. I'm just dreaming. Btw @Fallout-NL, I didn't forget about test riding the Buell. Just that when I checked again, the only one reasonably near me was delisted. Probably sold. Missed my opportunity.

Haven't heard anything about Scout's reliability stuff, all I know is that when the 2015 model came out it was basically universally acclaimed. And IMO it's the sexiest cruiser there is.
I ride a 2015 scout. It is a great bike but the stock clutch cable and turn signals are pretty cheap.

I can answer any questions about it if you need help.

Quick google search shows that c-spec is a cafe racer style.

Guys, there's this one motorcycle that I just keep coming back to, thinking to myself, "for that price, I'd love to own one".

It's a Honda CTX 700

All I keep thinking about is taking this on the highway across every state line surrounding me. Not that my KLR650 can't do it, but the CTX 700 would probably do it much more comfortably. Plus there's no such thing as having too many bikes. I could get a 2014 model for $4,000. Honestly, considering how much I keep thinking about that bike, I could be crazy enough. The price point is very appealing though. Only problem is that's it's an automatic DCT. I'm just not in a position to own two toys right now. Maybe someday?

Not my type of bike but I saw one of those customized to like a sazabi or shianju or one of those big red nazi gundams once and that was kind of cool.

I'd really like some motorcycle sized gundam CAUTION/WARNING decals, just a bunch of tiny text. Something like this.

31e61ea01b5a2477c04f40658068b0f2.image.950x669.jpg

or this.

zQMfKCZ.png

I ride a 2015 scout. It is a great bike but the stock clutch cable and turn signals are pretty cheap.

I can answer any questions about it if you need help.

I feel like cheapo stock signals is par for the course of most bikes, I know the scouts front ones are wiggly though. How long have you had the bike for and hows it held up? Also, good taste my man.

Dropped my helmet today, what a bummer. One minor scratch but I'm pretty annoyed.

Why so down over that? My helmet has tons of scratches/scuff marks on the top.

OraleeWey

Not my type of bike but I saw one of those customized to like a sazabi or shianju or one of those big red nazi gundams once and that was kind of cool.

I'd really like some motorcycle sized gundam CAUTION/WARNING decals, just a bunch of tiny text. Something like this.

31e61ea01b5a2477c04f40658068b0f2.image.950x669.jpg

or this.

zQMfKCZ.png

I feel like cheapo stock signals is par for the course of most bikes, I know the scouts front ones are wiggly though. How long have you had the bike for and hows it held up? Also, good taste my man.

Why so down over that? My helmet has tons of scratches/scuff marks on the top.

So, you want to "sticker bomb" the bike with the tiny text or would you strategically place them ?

No, I'd only use like 2-6 of them depending on the sizes.

I'd remove the default honda ones then place one maybe under or over the fuel cap (basically inbetween my legs in front of the seat), one small one each cowl and one medium one each fairing maybe.

One of those triangle ones on the front fender, maybe, might look tacky, can't really image it well.

Just completed a California motorcycle training program to get my license. I did it on a Suzuki DR200 they provided (not my photo):

2016-suzuki-dr200-001wnsxc.jpg

It was a lot of fun to ride, but the upright posture is a bit hard on my back (injury). In any case, really awesome instructors. I went to http://2wheelsafety.com/ near San Jose for those curious.

My moto license didn't transfer from Canada so I figured I would do the course again. Good fun.

Now to decide when/if I wanna get a bike down here....

OraleeWey

Just completed a California motorcycle training program to get my license. I did it on a Suzuki DR200 they provided (not my photo):

2016-suzuki-dr200-001wnsxc.jpg

It was a lot of fun to ride, but the upright posture is a bit hard on my back (injury). In any case, really awesome instructors. I went to http://2wheelsafety.com/ near San Jose for those curious.

My moto license didn't transfer from Canada so I figured I would do the course again. Good fun.

Envious of the bike you used for the course. I used a 250 Honda which I don't even remember the model of. To be fair, it had no model. The instructors just named the bikes after female names... Can't remember what mine was named either. How does the course compare to Canada?

Are you going to go back to Canada or...?? But anyway, you are in the only state USA allows lane splitting. Am envious X2.

Envious of the bike you used for the course. I used a 250 Honda which I don't even remember the model of. To be fair, it had no model. The instructors just named the bikes after female names... Can't remember what mine was named either. How does the course compare to Canada?

Are you going to go back to Canada or...?? But anyway, you are in the only state USA allows lane splitting. Am envious X2.

The course I did in Canada was a bit more thorough but I would say the instructors of this were more demanding of us (which is a good thing, considering the next step is getting on the road). They encouraged us to lean off the bike a bit even, which was nice. They really seemed like expert riders, so I made sure to try to start from zero to relearn everything. I intend on going back to them for an intermediate course at some point.

Might go back to Canada in 2-3 years, I just moved down here for work (wife to come in a few months). Yeah, I wanna lane split too! :D :X

I want a bike in the 500-700cc range with a bit of a forward lean but I haven't decided what yet. A street triple R would be excellent but a bit pricey... considering maybe a Honda CBR500R but I dunno yet. I rode the FZ-07 but found the ergonomics a little peculiar.

OraleeWey

The course I did in Canada was a bit more thorough but I would say the instructors of this were more demanding of us (which is a good thing, considering the next step is getting on the road). They encouraged us to lean off the bike a bit even, which was nice. They really seemed like expert riders, so I made sure to try to start from zero to relearn everything. I intend on going back to them for an intermediate course at some point.

Might go back to Canada in 2-3 years, I just moved down here for work (wife to come in a few months). Yeah, I wanna lane split too! :D :X

I want a bike in the 500-700cc range with a bit of a forward lean but I haven't decided what yet. A street triple R would be excellent but a bit pricey... considering maybe a Honda CBR500R but I dunno yet. I rode the FZ-07 but found the ergonomics a little peculiar.

Nice. I really wish I resided in California. Have fun if you do get a bike!

CBR650/650F is really nice. Sporty enough but upright position and lovely smooth inline 4.

I just test ride the new Street Triple this weekend and it is just awesome. If you can stretch to a Street it really is the pick of the middleweights (nakeds in any case)

Had a great morning at Bahnstormer. Test rode the G310r and had a good old chat to some of the guys there. Also took my dad with that is visiting and he loved it.

The had the g310r out for about 45 min and I must say the first time pulled off it just feels like a nice comfortable bike to ride. Enough leg room and great fun in town or for commuting. I took it on the motorway and at 70 to 75 mph its perfect and can go more. It feels stable at that speed too. The build quality is BMW and the switch gear is spot on. The price is also nice for what you you. £4500

A few bit I did not like.
- the exhaust sound is just bad
- would be difficult to go back from a bigger engine
- not enough fun compared to the KTM small bikes.

Bits I did like
- colour scheme and overall look
- comfortable riding position and seat
- switch gear the same feel and look as a GS
- price for an entry level rider looking for something a bit more polished.
- Loads of add on's like topbox, touring screen and even a lower seat option.

y3nfFMh.jpg

XIbLoqO.jpg

A really nice looking custom r Nine T

3mYHcyO.jpg

5VckPTM.jpg

I like how they included the headlight in the color scheme. Looks great.

Btw @Fallout-NL, I didn't forget about test riding the Buell. Just that when I checked again, the only one reasonably near me was delisted. Probably sold. Missed my opportunity.

Yeah, don't worry about it!

I definitely don't want to make it seem like I'm pushing people here, but if any of the readers/posters here ever think to themselves: "he seems off his rocker, but it might just be that there's an actual, valid reason for why this guy is such a Buell zealot" - then maybe try one.

CBR650/650F is really nice. Sporty enough but upright position and lovely smooth inline 4.

I just test ride the new Street Triple this weekend and it is just awesome. If you can stretch to a Street it really is the pick of the middleweights (nakeds in any case)
Good point, that would be a nice option. If only all bikes could be as cheap as a grom. :O

OraleeWey

Had a great morning at Bahnstormer. Test rode the G310r and had a good old chat to some of the guys there. Also took my dad with that is visiting and he loved it.

The had the g310r out for about 45 min and I must say the first time pulled off it just feels like a nice comfortable bike to ride. Enough leg room and great fun in town or for commuting. I took it on the motorway and at 70 to 75 mph its perfect and can go more. It feels stable at that speed too. The build quality is BMW and the switch gear is spot on. The price is also nice for what you you. £4500

A few bit I did not like.
- the exhaust sound is just bad
- would be difficult to go back from a bigger engine
- not enough fun compared to the KTM small bikes.

Bits I did like
- colour scheme and overall look
- comfortable riding position and seat
- switch gear the same feel and look as a GS
- price for an entry level rider looking for something a bit more polished.
- Loads of add on's like topbox, touring screen and even a lower seat option.

y3nfFMh.jpg

XIbLoqO.jpg

A really nice looking custom r Nine T

3mYHcyO.jpg

5VckPTM.jpg

Jesus, that is such a beautiful looking motorcycle. This is something I'd love for it to be injected into my bloodstream.

I like how they included the headlight in the color scheme. Looks great.

Yeah, don't worry about it!

I definitely don't want to make it seem like I'm pushing people here, but if any of the readers/posters here ever think to themselves: "he seems off his rocker, but it might just be that there's an actual, valid reason for why this guy is such a Buell zealot" - then maybe try one.
If I can get a test ride I will. I am kinda curious about the bike tbh. I'd like to see it in person if I can, at least.

Top Bottom