• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim VR on PS4 drops November 17th

Morbid

Banned
It's pretty fucking crazy you have to buy the game again at full price (6 year old game mind you) to play in VR.

Loads of games on PC add a or already have a VR mode, like Dirt Rally, Project cars and all that shite.

Publishers are greedy cunts init.

Humdinger

It's pretty fucking crazy you have to buy the game again at full price (6 year old game mind you) to play in VR.

Loads of games on PC add a or already have a VR mode, like Dirt Rally, Project cars and all that shite.

Publishers are greedy cunts init.

Disagree. I'm happy to pay $60. This is not a port. This is a new experience. They put a lot of time & effort into it. I'm happy to support them doing it, especially for what is a rather small audience.

Just picked up my bundle. I can't remember being this enthusiastic about a game for a long time.

Morbid

Banned
Disagree. I'm happy to pay $60. This is not a port. This is a new experience. They put a lot of time & effort into it. I'm happy to support them doing it, especially for what is a rather small audience.

Just picked up my bundle. I can't remember being this enthusiastic about a game for a long time.

It's a new experience just like the VR mode was a new experience in Project cars and Assetto Corsa too, and guess how much those VR modes cost?

Bethesda are greedy but if saps keep payin them for their bullshit full price ports they will continue to treat us like cunts.

The fact people are happy paying $60 for the Switch port is even more of a joke.

Humdinger

It's a new experience just like the VR mode was a new experience in Project cars and Assetto Corsa too, and guess how much those VR modes cost?

Bethesda are greedy but if saps keep payin them for their bullshit full price ports they will continue to treat us like cunts.

Oh well, so don't buy it then. I'm happy to pay $60 for a game that'll provide hundreds of hours of enjoyment.

The fact people are happy paying $60 for the Switch port is even more of a joke.

Yeah. It's a VR mode just like the VR mode in two racing games. No additional work required here. OK.

I somehow never played Skyrim, so getting to play it for the first time in VR should be pretty fucking awesome. I cbf actually connecting my PSVR right now though, dem cables...

Will probably get this about a week before the RE7 DLC comes out and give it a go then, since I'll definitely wanna play the RE7 DLC in VR the first time around, something I regrettably didn't do with the main game. It's impossible to overstate how much better RE7 is in VR. I have to imagine Skyrim VR is surely pretty awesome, yes?

Morbid

Banned
What have you coded? I'd like to know so we can know how accurate your thoughts are.

You think making this VR game (mode) came anywhere near close to the amount of effort it took to actually create this game 6 years ago?

They are the same price, there's something wrong with that,.

Trogdor1123

You think making this VR game (mode) came anywhere near close to the amount of effort it took to actually create this game 6 years ago?

They are the same price, there's something wrong with that,.
I have no idea, you seem to understand it though so I'm asking you to tell us where you obtained the knowledge.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Morbid coding some mad edge into those posts.
Let him man it seems to piss him off that some people spend their own money like they want.

Fyi i payed 55 bucks for skyrim on the switch.
And when its out on the oculus i will pay 60 again 😂😂

Morbid

Banned
Let him man it seems to piss him off that some people spend their own money like they want.

Fyi i payed 55 bucks for skyrim on the switch.
And when its out on the oculus i will pay 60 again 😂😂

Suckerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

MultiCore

Given the dearth of quality VR content, Skyrim is making easy money for them. Should it have been $40 at this point? Maybe. Free update for previous owners? Maybe.

I pre-ordered it from Amazon, so I didn't pay full retail. Still, I do own a couple other versions, would have been nice to see a $10 DLC or something.

CyberChulo

Yo played this for like 7 hours so far. It's fucking amazing! I just got my lesser ward spell and when you cast it, your entire view gets engulfed in sheild's waves! So awesome looking. And when I was running away from a powerful soldier, I could keep running while looking back and shoot out my flames from other hand at the same time! Epic!

Man, the quality of posting on GAF has gone down the toilet. Sh*tposting juniors.

I mean, he has a point, albeit a crudely argued one.

I definitely don't think that the team working on the VR port had as intense resources or as long a development time as the initial release of Skyrim. I think it sticks even more on this game because they just released another version for PS4 and Xbox One over a year ago for almost half that price. And this VR version doesn't have the features that were packed into that version. I get why, but still...

To me it's like if Coca-Cola made Cherry Coke and then charged double for Vanilla Coke. It's just a different flavor of the same formula. The disparity in price is hard to explain, and it just comes down to arguments over how much you like the original game enough to double triple quadruple dip.

Grinchy

Banned
Yo played this for like 7 hours so far. It's fucking amazing! I just got my lesser ward spell and when you cast it, your entire view gets engulfed in sheild's waves! So awesome looking. And when I was running away from a powerful soldier, I could keep running while looking back and shoot out my flames from other hand at the same time! Epic!

Yeah it's surprisingly good in VR. I expected to like it. I didn't expect to love it. I just can't stop playing.

Linconan

Got my copy in the mail today.
Had alittle play to test it out before i head off to pick up my boys from school.
Now, i debating on whether to send them and the wife to grandmas.

Loved it!
Cannot wait to dig down in this tonight.

I was once worried about buying this title for the...forth time (1 ps3, 2 ps4, 1 ps4vr)
...but not worried anymore.

Whelp I beat Thumper so it's either this or Superhot...

Lord give me strength

Alright man, here is the thing, you literally can't lose here. Super Hot is great, and for a while, it was one of my favorite VR jams... But Skyrim... Skyrim is on another level my friend.

First of all, its a full priced game, BUT, they didn't just slap a VR camera into Skyrim and call it a day. You get all the add ons. The combat has been tooled an tailored for motion controller use (which is fucking awesome), the menus have been rework, interactions everything is tweaked and tailored towards VR in this version. They put some care into this one. Also worth noting, anecdotally, I've had near flawless move tracking in this game. Like, it tracks better in this game than anything else I've played. I'm not sure what kind of secret sauce they are using to achieve this but it just kind of works like it is supposed to.

So let me set the stage for you, I was playing last night running around and I got into a huge fight with some bandits. I decided to give the bow/arrow a try as I hadn't used it yet. Well, needless to say I was terrible with it, so I switched back to my greatsword and laid down some heat on those chumps... Later on I was running around outside of Whiterun when I came upon a little guard camp with practice dummies. I had a bright idea, I pulled my bow out and walked back a few yards and started practicing. After a few shots into and around the dummy, I walked up and looked to see where I was landing them, I grab my old arrows out of it and went back and shot a few more. It was awesome, and now I can use the bow with some confidence lol

While scouring a crypt full of necromancers earlier today, I came into a room with a table by the back wall. There were gold coins strewn about on this table, and there was a wooden bowl with a gem and several gold coins in it. I was grabbing each coin off the table but there were bad guys coming up from behind so I needed to move quick. I grabbed the damn bowl full coins, picked up it and turned it upside and dumped the coins onto the table so I could grab them faster. It sounds silly, but actually physically doing this in the game made me just take a second and go wow.

Basically, this game is crack, buy it :p

Also, when you trip a switch and a spiked wall comes flying at your face, try not to shit yourself :D

Humdinger

I definitely don't think that the team working on the VR port had as intense resources or as long a development time as the initial release of Skyrim. I think it sticks even more on this game because they just released another version for PS4 and Xbox One over a year ago for almost half that price. And this VR version doesn't have the features that were packed into that version. I get why, but still...

He's a troll and should've been taken care of, but no moderation, so yeah.

$60 isn't an issue for me, at all. This game is amazing. It's f*cking Skyrim in VR.

The guy above did a good job of explaining part of why this VR conversion was done with love and attention to detail. I'm happy to pay $60 for it. Again... it's f*cking Skyrim in VR.

I want to thank Bethesda for doing this. Actually it was a different developer ... can't remember their name. Inception or Evolution or something.

Anyhow, $60 is nothing for this game. It's an amazing experience. I've paid $60 for scores of worse games.

To me it's like if Coca-Cola made Cherry Coke and then charged double for Vanilla Coke. It's just a different flavor of the same formula. The disparity in price is hard to explain, and it just comes down to arguments over how much you like the original game enough to double triple quadruple dip.

Of course this didn't require as much work as the original game. Look at the size of the playerbase, though. What is it, 1/60th of the PS4 base or something?

Alright man, here is the thing, you literally can't lose here. Super Hot is great, and for a while, it was one of my favorite VR jams... But Skyrim... Skyrim is on another level my friend.

First of all, its a full priced game, BUT, they didn't just slap a VR camera into Skyrim and call it a day. You get all the add ons. The combat has been tooled an tailored for motion controller use (which is fucking awesome), the menus have been rework, interactions everything is tweaked and tailored towards VR in this version. They put some care into this one. Also worth noting, anecdotally, I've had near flawless move tracking in this game. Like, it tracks better in this game than anything else I've played. I'm not sure what kind of secret sauce they are using to achieve this but it just kind of works like it is supposed to.

So let me set the stage for you, I was playing last night running around and I got into a huge fight with some bandits. I decided to give the bow/arrow a try as I hadn't used it yet. Well, needless to say I was terrible with it, so I switched back to my greatsword and laid down some heat on those chumps... Later on I was running around outside of Whiterun when I came upon a little guard camp with practice dummies. I had a bright idea, I pulled my bow out and walked back a few yards and started practicing. After a few shots into and around the dummy, I walked up and looked to see where I was landing them, I grab my old arrows out of it and went back and shot a few more. It was awesome, and now I can use the bow with some confidence lol

While scouring a crypt full of necromancers earlier today, I came into a room with a table by the back wall. There were gold coins strewn about on this table, and there was a wooden bowl with a gem and several gold coins in it. I was grabbing each coin off the table but there were bad guys coming up from behind so I needed to move quick. I grabbed the damn bowl full coins, picked up it and turned it upside and dumped the coins onto the table so I could grab them faster. It sounds silly, but actually physically doing this in the game made me just take a second and go wow.

Basically, this game is crack, buy it :p

Also, when you trip a switch and a spiked wall comes flying at your face, try not to shit yourself :D

giphy.gif

OK OK YOU GOT ME. That actually was a super awesome moment to read.

Everyone keeps talking high praise about it so I have to see what it's all about. I'll grab a copy tomorrow. I was just skeptical with so few reviews out there. But my biggest gripe with Skyrim was the combat. And every single thing I've read has been positive.

Rhysser

Banned
Yeah I think the comments about price being dependent on how much work Bethesda put in are a bit strange. Price depends on how much people are willing to pay for it regardless if you worked on something for 10 years or 1 day.

I don't much like Bethesda's games (unrewarded and unsatisfying exploration at its worst), including Skyrim, which I nevertheless already played all of the way through. But Skyrim VR is a lot of fun so far, and a fairly satisfying VR experience that I'm happy to pay $60 on, especially with relatively few full-featured experiences on the market. The VR + motion controls combat is a lot more fun. Something very satisfying about shooting streams of fire from my virtual arms. Now THIS feels like I'm finally a wizard :D I actually only paid ~$20 for the regular Skyrim and that was not worth it, but the VR is definitely worth it to me.

Newk86

After my quick practice run I've now come up with a name and backstory for my character, along with a few rules to hopefully make for the best experience.

I'm going Move control, difficulty Master (5/6 I think), only saving at inns (essentially pay to save) or else as many times as I like for free once I get my own house, no health upgrades (will have to see how this goes), and no quick travel; just walking, horseback, or carriage travel only.

Some cool stuff I experienced in my first couple of hours; you can pick up pots and shake them out to see if there is anything inside! It just falls out! Pretty basic I guess but damn cool in VR. Also the big ones including bowls and stuff you can pick up, turn upside down and put on people's heads.

Another thing, I play standing up with a couch behind me. Whenever I get a bit tired I just find a bench, sit down in game and in real life and recentre my view! Can have a bit of a rest while checking out my skills and items. Oh and the first time I ever rested in a bed, I accidentily woke up too early, about 6am. So I just sat on a bench near the front of town for 20 mins and waited for the shops to open. Just watched the sun come up and the weather change around me as I messed around with my spells and shot fire beams. Playing slow AF but I love it.

Oh and rain is really nice. Makes the lower graphics stand out less, and the same goes for snowstorms, plus you get some cool sound effects to go with it. I play with music off.

kaydigi

After my quick practice run I've now come up with a name and backstory for my character, along with a few rules to hopefully make for the best experience.

I'm going Move control, difficulty Master (5/6 I think), only saving at inns (essentially pay to save) or else as many times as I like for free once I get my own house, no health upgrades (will have to see how this goes), and no quick travel; just walking, horseback, or carriage travel only.

Some cool stuff I experienced in my first couple of hours; you can pick up pots and shake them out to see if there is anything inside! It just falls out! Pretty basic I guess but damn cool in VR. Also the big ones including bowls and stuff you can pick up, turn upside down and put on people's heads.

Another thing, I play standing up with a couch behind me. Whenever I get a bit tired I just find a bench, sit down in game and in real life and recentre my view! Can have a bit of a rest while checking out my skills and items. Oh and the first time I ever rested in a bed, I accidentily woke up too early, about 6am. So I just sat on a bench near the front of town for 20 mins and waited for the shops to open. Just watched the sun come up and the weather change around me as I messed around with my spells and shot fire beams. Playing slow AF but I love it.

Oh and rain is really nice. Makes the lower graphics stand out less, and the same goes for snowstorms, plus you get some cool sound effects to go with it. I play with music off.

Man all these impressions sound crazy, I’m still debating on getting a psvr today.

I bought a PSVR last christmas - it's still in the box. Guess I'm finally getting it out. Have a Vive, too, so I'd prefer to hold out for that....but it's tough.

The decreased forum traffic makes it a lot easier for me to keep up with threads now. I couldn't follow anything before because there were so many people. :p

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I absolutely cannot wait to play this on Rift or Vive. Gonna get Fallout 4 VR as well for Vive. :D

Really wish Valve would hurry up with those knuckles controllers.

How do you turn in the game using PSVR btw? Using Vive and Rift you would just turn your body but since PSVR does not have roomscale I assume you have to turn with a joystick?

Freeman76

Skyrim VR has been absolutely amazing. The sense of scale and wonder in VR is incredible. Playing with the Moves feels great too.

I got to Fort Dawnguard last night, the sense of scale there is awesome! I rinsed the arse out of this game on all platforms and this is still one of the best gaming experiences of my entire life!

PulseONE

Man I really wish I had the extra cash to get that Skyrim VR bundle

Playing Skyrim like this had been my dream since I first played it back in '11 T_T

Toe-Knee

I still haven't managed to get into skyrim but I never liked it when it first came out either. But I can't complain for free just wish I got gran turismo instead haha.

It's amazing seeing so many people loving it though.

I got to Fort Dawnguard last night, the sense of scale there is awesome! I rinsed the arse out of this game on all platforms and this is still one of the best gaming experiences of my entire life!

This is my first time playing Skyrim. Needless to say, in VR I am fucking blown away

Top Bottom