• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Rest Mode is the worst - can I just disable it?

I'm sorry man, I'll try to do better.
I don't really wanna jump on this pile on but I will.
Most expensive consumer electronics have an on>rest>off power cycle. Consoles especially, it's been a thing since the PS3.
Also it's always a good idea to do a quick read of the manual for any new expensive device you buy. It's just a good habit.
The fact that you didn't know either of these things means you aren't that well verse, yet you continued to dismiss valid advice. Don't come for help if you aren't willing to accept it.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Is that *entirely* unreasonable?

I guess he's blaming Sony for a different reason than what he should be, but yeah...

Seems like this falls more in the small malfunctioning electronics window, not really something to get mad at the company about.

"I'm stood at my PS4 right next to the power button but it makes a lot more sense to walk over to my controller, press and hold a button and navigate through a menu than simply press the big off button that's right next to me.".

Wouldn't it make sense to have the controller in your hands if you were playing it? Turning it off with the power button on the console just seems to be more of an ordeal for me, I have to lean over and hold a touch sensitive surface until it beeps twice instead of just telling it to actually shut down completely with the controller.

Either way Rest Mode works perfect for me, like everyone else said I would just get your PS4 looked at. Both my Standard and my Pro in my house have never had issues with Rest Mode.

Rest Mode is fantastic. If that's what it's doing for you, OP, you need to get a warranty replacement.

EDIT: Since it's four years old, just repair it. If you don't want to do that, then good luck and hopefully it doesn't go bust because of it. Your Rest Mode should be extremely convenient, not what was described in the OP.

Devil

The best feature of the console/generation for me.

Been using it since buying the PS4 last year and have had zero issues, it's always in rest mode when I'm not using it.

I'm really curious about that behaviour. I think I read that the PS4 still draws a significant amount of power in sleep mode. Much more than the typical standby. Aren't you worried about that if you constantly use it instead of turning it off?

I ALWAYS turn the console off if I don't plan on coming back relatively soon or need to download something. I really don't think it is that useful compared to how much power it draws.

Rest mode is amazing. TV and console turn on in less than 10 seconds and it's paused on whatever I was last playing/watching.

Also it's barely had an effect on my electric bill (basically, it's only gone up a couple of dollars from the average).

I'm really curious about that behaviour. I think I read that the PS4 still draws a significant amount of power in sleep mode. Much more than the typical standby. Aren't you worried about that if you constantly use it instead of turning it off?

I ALWAYS turn the console off if I don't plan on coming back relatively soon or need to download something. I really don't think it is that useful compared to how much power it draws.

It doesn't use much power at all. However, if I go on vacation, then yeah, I'll turn it off because why leave it on rest mode?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Been using it since day 1 for years now and not once have ever had an issue across my launch PS4 and the new Pro. In fact I can't even remember the last time I powered off my system at all.

n0razi

I have a UPS that measures the power usage of my PS4 and it ranges from 10 watts to 50 watts in rest mode (vs over 200 watts while playing games). 10-50 watts is really nothing considering I have 3 patio lights (each 15 watts) that are on about half the day all year round. Hell my cable modem and 802.11ac router use about that much 24/7. It comes out to like 20 bucks a year for the convenience of having instant on, all my updates downloaded ready to go, and game pausing.

NinjaBoiX

- I've accepted the advice given, I will now disable rest mode

- Rest mode was a patch after release so reading the manual wouldn't have helped

- Who the fuck would reads a manual for a PlayStation? Literally nothing I'm having an issue with now would've been solved by reading through two pages telling me not to pour drinks on it or let the cat sit on it or whatever these pointless things tell you

theRizzle

- Rest mode was a patch after release so reading the manual wouldn't have helped

No it wasn't. Being able to Suspend/Resume without exiting the game was patched in later, but Rest Mode (it was called something else at the time... probably Standby) was there since launch.

modsbox

OP, I guess you have a solution that works for you at this point, but if you did want to try to get rest mode working I'd definitely try reimaging your PS4. I actually think there's a decent chance that your hardware is fine but your hard drive has some file corruption on it that is causing the janky rest mode on it.

My guess is you have some file corruption that happened on the hard drive that even the database rebuilding fix doesn't solve, so whenever the unit tries to enter rest mode bad things happen.

If you have a spare 2.5" HDD around you could very easily see if this is the case, without risking much.

Basically you could just download the full PS4 system software install (the 900 meg one from 'Perform a New Installation of the System Software' on the download page), put that on a usb key then swap in your extra 2.5" drive to your PS4 and install.

Play with it a bit and see if rest mode works right or not. If it does you'll know that something is up with the data on your original HDD that's breaking rest mode. And if it's worth going through the pain of archiving your saves and completely reinstalling the OS to your original PS4 hard drive to fix it.

If rest mode is still broken, even with a different hard drive and a fresh OS install, well then I think you have a pretty ironclad indication that your hardware has an issue.

Rest mode does use a separate dedicated chip on PS4 so it is entirely possible that your PS4 works 'fine' playing games but the rest mode specific hardware is faulty.

NewDust

For the other issue, the constantly rebuilding database, did you by any chance switch out the HDD? I have this issue also on my OG PS4, with the spinpoint m9t. I believe it somehow has to do with the spinup time of the hdd (as in, how fast it starts to read after boot). anyways, my rebuilds only take a few seconds and I don't experience any other issues with it. no corrupt data or anything.

LionPride

Banned

- Who the fuck would reads a manual for a PlayStation? Literally nothing I'm having an issue with now would've been solved by reading through two pages telling me not to pour drinks on it or let the cat sit on it or whatever these pointless things tell you

Stop being wrong

jacobeid

Banned

Neither of those things are true. You should read the manual because you'd learn about this and not about cats, but I digress.

You don't have to disable rest mode if you know how to turn it off.

xxracerxx

Hahaha...keep on trucking buster.

Devil

I can't even....

You know that manuals are online nowadays, often updated to newest functions?

I just googled "PS4 manual english", clicked the first link -> Basics and it immediately shows a page called "Turning your PS4 system on and off".

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/gb/ps4/basic/power.html

Yeah, that clearly wouldn't have helped, not at all.

I'm not even saying you shouldn't have asked online because the manual exists. Thats ok. But the way that you still act like you're totally right stinks of a troll attempt deluxe.

Now I really hope that you don't pour drinks onto your PS4.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Get a UPS (Battery Backup)... I had that problem all the time (where I would come back to a PS4 I left in Rest Mode needing a reset database rebuild. Found out that my place just had really spotty electricity service and was constantly restarting the PS4. No problems since I got a Cyberpower Sinewave UPS hooked up to that and my TV

cyberpower_cp1000pfclcd_1000va_pfc_ups_lcd_981757.jpg

Yep, I agree, intermittent power. Something you learn first in basic tech support jobs: apply Occam's Razor, check the simplest possible explanations first.

jacobeid

Banned
I'm not even saying you shouldn't have asked online because the manual exists. Thats ok. But the way that you still act like you're totally right stinks of a troll attempt deluxe.

Now I really hope that you don't pour drinks onto your PS4.

To be fair, the biography in their profile says "A charming little scalliwag prone to outbursts of misguided anger and asking stupid questions."

Bruh, rest mode is my number 1 feature this gen.

That sucks that you're having issues with it, OP. But as most others in this thread have stated, there seems to be a problem with your PS4 or your power source / outlet.

Make sure your saves are backed up before you get stuck, and look into getting your PS4 fixed or replaced. Good luck.

zeorhymer

99% of the time, my rest mode works well. The other 1%, my PS4 messes when powering on and I have to pull the power cord out to get it to start.

i love rest mode it's thanks to that that i can charge all my shit, and remote play all the goddamn time.

EDIT: but everybody's right bro your rest mode is just fucked.

I don't think there is anything wrong with my PS4, that's a weirdly specific issue if so. It works fine otherwise.

I know how to turn it off with the controller, just sometimes I decide I want to turn it off when I'm standing right next to it.
There is something wrong with your PS4. That's not how it's supposed to behave at all.

Edit and it doesn't appear to be a common issue either so you seemed to just have bad luck.

Vexii

TL:DR: Sony fucked rest mode on PS4 and it's frankly embarrassing how broken it is. Please just let me turn it off entirely.
This is going to be massively unhelpful in the grand scheme of things, but it really grinds my gears when someone touts something as being universally broken when there's pretty much zero complaints coming from anyone else.

It just screams egotism and a complete inability to consider the bigger picture, that maybe you just have a fucked unit, should order a repair or warranty replacement and save us the headache of needing to tell you that, just because it makes you feel better to complain about a non-issue.

I don't think there is anything wrong with my PS4, that's a weirdly specific issue if so. It works fine otherwise.

I know how to turn it off with the controller, just sometimes I decide I want to turn it off when I'm standing right next to it.

that's exactly what it is dude!

MrBS

Firing up the PS4 and being right back in the action in Horizon within seconds, patches downloading and installing automatically, store purchases via the website installed and ready to go when I get home from work. Rest mode is amazing.

On topic thanks for the entertainment OP, RIP your PS4.

I've always had issues with rest mode on my PS4, it barely works for me so I just stopped using it. 75% of the time it would just shut down altogether but require a database rebuild upon reboot, then shut down again, then reboot so I gave up.

But now when I simply ask my PS4 to turn off (with the actual power button) it invariably goes into rest mode when I don't even want it to. And not a-single-orange-LED rest mode but fan-constantly-whirring-clearly-using-a-pointless-amount-of-power rest mode.

It's a constant pain, it barely works when I want it to and often works when I don't. It's quite literally worse than useless to me.

Can I just disable it altogether somehow?

TL:DR: Sony fucked rest mode on PS4 and it's frankly embarrassing how broken it is. Please just let me turn it off entirely.
  1. I've only ever used Rest mode on both my original launch PS4 and my new PS4 Pro, and never had a problem, and I use my PS4s nearly every day.
  2. It sounds like one of the following is causing your issue: an interruption in your electricity supply to your PS4, or a fault with the actual hardware in the PS4 itself (either power supply, HDD, or Rest mode specific hardware). If it's the former you'll need a UPS to fix the issue, if it's the latter then you have a faulty PS4 and should get it fixed.
  3. You can turn your PS4 off rather than using Rest mode whenever you want, by simply holding down the PS button in the controller (to bring up the Quick Menu) and selecting Power > Turn Off PS4 (rather than Power > Enter Rest Mode).
  4. You can turn your PS4 off rather than using Rest mode whenever you want, by simply going to the XMB (if you're not already in it, then tapping the PS button at any time on the controller will take you to it) and selecting Power > Power Options > Turn Off PS4 (this assumes you have Rest mode enabled, otherwise there's no need to select Power Options).
  5. You can completely disable Rest mode whenever you like. From the XMB (again, tapping the PS button on the controller will take you there if you're not there already) select Settings > Power Saving Settings > Set Features Available in Rest Mode. On that screen you'll see that it says in very large text: "Select the features you want to use in rest mode. If you don't select anything, the PS4 cannot enter rest mode." Let's follow that advice and deselect everything by setting "Supply Power to USB Ports > Off", and unticking "Stay Connected to the Internet" and "Keep Application Suspended". Now pressing the Power button on the front of the console will turn the PS4 off.

This thread is the highlight of my afternoon.

Every time I think NinjaBoiToiCorduroyEcks is done, he just comes back for more and delivers a new level of entertainment.

Shit, I use the Rest feature on my PS4 every day, but this is easily the best it has ever worked, right here in this thread.

Chun-Li

This has been happening to me ever since I was in the beta for the new firmware. And now it happens with the release version of that firmware.

I am using an external HDD. Even if I disable it before going into rest mode, the PS4 will still will randomly shut off. And then I have to rebuild and then also have to repair the external HDD.

This hasn't happened until that firmware was released.

Cday

Banned
Just shut the system down. Rest mode sucks and causes unnecessary wear on your system and wastes electricity. But I'm paying the electricity I can use it however I want! Good for you, bud.

Just shut the system down. Rest mode sucks and causes unnecessary wear on your system and wastes electricity. But I'm paying the electricity I can use it however I want! Good for you, bud.
It's like $10 a year worth of power. I think I can afford it.

NewDust

1. I've only ever used Rest mode on both my original launch PS4 and my new PS4 Pro, and never had a problem, and I use my PS4s nearly every day.
  2. It sounds like one of the following is causing your issue: an interruption in your electricity supply to your PS4, or a fault with the actual hardware in the PS4 itself (either power supply, HDD, or Rest mode specific hardware). If it's the former you'll need a UPS to fix the issue, if it's the latter then you have a faulty PS4 and should get it fixed.
  3. You can turn your PS4 off rather than using Rest mode whenever you want, by simply holding down the PS button in the controller (to bring up the Quick Menu) and selecting Power > Turn Off PS4 (rather than Power > Enter Rest Mode).
  4. You can turn your PS4 off rather than using Rest mode whenever you want, by simply going to the XMB (if you're not already in it, then tapping the PS button at any time on the controller will take you to it) and selecting Power > Power Options > Turn Off PS4 (this assumes you have Rest mode enabled, otherwise there's no need to select Power Options).
  5. You can completely disable Rest mode whenever you like. From the XMB (again, tapping the PS button on the controller will take you there if you're not there already) select Settings > Power Saving Settings > Set Features Available in Rest Mode. On that screen you'll see that it says in very large text: "Select the features you want to use in rest mode. If you don't select anything, the PS4 cannot enter rest mode." Let's follow that advice and deselect everything by setting "Supply Power to USB Ports > Off", and unticking "Stay Connected to the Internet" and "Keep Application Suspended". Now pressing the Power button on the front of the console will turn the PS4 off.

• Or you just hold down the power button until the second beep for a full shutdown. It amazes me how many people don't seem to know this.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
My power button is basically an RNG at this point: press and hope, see what happens. I gave up trying to use it for what it was meant for long ago, ironically now that I'm actively avoiding this "feature" it's actually more of a pain than when it was just a poorly implemented option.

How did they fuck this up so bad? It's standby mode for fuck's sake, it's not curing cancer.
They didn't. Your ps4 is broken. Standby works every time for me.

xxracerxx

I am sorry but rest mode is not wearing down my PS4.

Also if you insist on using the power button on your console, hold down the button until it beeps a second time and it fully powers off... Do some damn research before you blame Sony, that's in the consoles manual.

Just use rest mode. Shutting down fully sucks and causes a longer wait getting back into a game you're playing and wastes your time. But it's my time and I can use it however I want! Good for you, bud.

Trouble

Banned
Rest mode is amazing. Being able to hit the button on my DS4 and be right back in whatever game I was playing with no load a few seconds later is one of my favorite things about this generation.

[CITATION NEEDED]

Top Bottom