• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA acknowledges Mass Effect Andromeda's animation issues (barely)

TI82

Banned
http://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/Bugs-Known-issues-list-for-MEA/td-p/5942772

List of issues being actively worked on for the game right now and they acknowledged exactly 1 animation bug.

Running in a zig-zag pattern can result in Ryder entering an unintended animation state.

Does this shed more light on the possibility that these animation bugs are not fixable? To not even be acknowledged further than one specific instance shows either a lack of knowledge or an act of subterfuge. And somehow I don't think they have been ignoring the negative press (or sales).

TI82

Banned
I'd love to know the most politically correct way EA could identify a bad animation as

"We wanted gamers to enjoy this world so we got the game out as fast as we could and want your help to pioneer this game going forward ! If you notice anything strange let us know, be our Pathfinder to a better game of tomorrow !"

Lime

As far as I've heard, Bioware expects to talk more about post-launch support sometime around next week or after that. I'm certain they'll address some of the concerns. (But don't hold me to it) - they're definitely seeing it our way and it's mostly a question of how fast changes can be rolled out.

TI82

Banned
As far as I've heard, Bioware expects to talk more about post-launch support sometime around next week or after that. I'm certain they'll address some of the concerns. (But don't hold me to it)

I really hope so, seeing some of the mental gymnastics from fans is getting sad. Fix the game bioware please, think of your fans!

Chumley

Banned
I'm not even starting the game until I hear what they intend to fix. The eyes looking fucked up is a big one and would seem easy to fix.

dnmt

Banned
Acknowledging one animation bug is very different from acknowledging the outright terrible animation found throughout the entire game. And that's not getting changed, sadly.

As far as I've heard, Bioware expects to talk more about post-launch support sometime around next week or after that. I'm certain they'll address some of the concerns. (But don't hold me to it) - they're definitely seeing it our way and it's mostly a question of how fast changes can be rolled out.

Call me cynical, but I expect them to give lip service at best to the problems, and mostly talk about multiplayer content expansions and when they'll be wanting everyone to buy story DLC.

This shit just isn't getting fixed.

Freeman76

Nothing about the cranky performance on ps4 pro :( I am really loving the gameplay but the performance is so bad Ive shelved it in the hope they can at least stabilise the framerate in the high 20's.

You can't fix all the animation issues. It would require entirely redone lip syncing, redone cutscenes, a ton of it and a redo to the effect of The Witcher Enhanced Edition. Never going ti happen.

balohna

Fixing all the animation bugs would take a huge amount of work from animators, designers/scripters and engineers. Probably why they decided to ship with them.

I only really see an update coming if the plan all along was to fix this stuff post-launch.

Pepboy

Pretty sure some within the company know it's bad and there's not enough incentive to fix. There was a poster in the OT sharing some possible insider info that some groups in EA knew this would tank.

Then again, this is the same EA that thought the ending to ME3 was good enough to promote the writer responsible. But simultaneously recognized the writing was bad enough to travel to a new galaxy for a fresh start. Very easy to believe the working environment is just leaderless.

That's because the one they're referring to actually affects gameplay. Ryder can get stuck in a stiff walking/standing pose after you zig zag and you can't really move for a few seconds.

One of the glitch gifs that made the rounds demonstrates this on some stairs. You really have to abuse the controls to do that though

I'd love to know the most politically correct way EA could identify a bad animation as

"We're glad gamers everywhere have been enjoying the Early Access release of Mass Effect Andromeda. We plan to release the final product version 1.0 by September this year, and we thank you for your patience."

ISee

They would need to redo huge parts of the game to fix animations, facial expressions, the dead eyes and the ugly human designs. It isn't going to happen.

I've made my peace that the animations will never be fixed.
Pretty obvious it would require a big effort on Bioware's part which clearly they won't undertake.

I still actually really want to play this, but I'll wait till it goes on sale in a few months and keep chuckling at the bugs and glitches over time.

Watched TB's video the other day and some parts look really cool and scream Mass Effect.

They would need to redo huge parts of the game to fix animations, facial expressions, the dead eyes and the ugly human designs. It isn't going to happen.
Not to mention that one face that all the NPC Asari share. Yes, one. Every Asari but PeeBee looks the same except for slight skin colour and marking variation:

lhhqEWH

TI82

Banned
OléGunner;232898622 said:
I've made my peace that the animations will never be fixed.
Pretty obvious it would require a big effort on Bioware's part which clearly they won't undertake.

I still actually really want to play this, but I'll wait till it goes on sale in a few months and keep chuckling at the bugs and glitches over time.

Watched TB's video the other day and some parts look really cool and scream Mass Effect.

Don't overhype yourself, the game is very bland/mediocre in the gameplay department and outright horrible in the storyline/dialog/character development. Wait for a bargain bin at best

Aspiring

I dont know why but so far none of the animations for me have been terrible. I also have so far not encountered any bugs. I'm only at second planet however. Also frame rate has been solid so far.

I highly doubt the animation will be fixed. It's not some glitch that you can just patch over.

The quality of the animation in the cutscenes is so poor that I am actually curious about what really happened during development. The lip sync, facial and body movements. It's so bad that it looks amateurish. It's like they just applied that mocap and lipsync data onto character rig and then never bothered to tweak the animation.

Teeth

Has there ever been a AAA game that has ever patched out core art assets that weren't buggy? It's not bugs that caused the animation and model quality, it's just what they produced.

It's not happening.

Don't overhype yourself, the game is very bland/mediocre in the gameplay department and outright horrible in the storyline/dialog/character development. Wait for a bargain bin at best

Yeah some people have mentioned you really have to plough through some dreadful stretches to get to the really good Mass Effect-y bits.

Combat gameplay looks pretty fun to me personally from all I've seen, and it's one of the few things everyone seems to near agree upon is awesome.
Either way I'm still interested in this as a lazy summer kind of game when its hopefully cheaper.

TI82

Banned
OléGunner;232898941 said:
Yeah some people have mentioned you really have to plough through some dreadful stretches to get to the really good Mass Effect-y bits.

Combat gameplay looks pretty fun to me personally from all I've seen, and it's one of the few things everyone seems to near agree upon is awesome.
Either way I'm still interested in this as a lazy summer kind of game when its hopefully cheaper.

Just feels like a bad purchase when games like nioh and horizon are out but it's your money do as you will

HoodWinked

i was thinking about picking this game up when some deals started popping up i'm not even that turned off by the poor animations but the writing and choices they made just seem awful. hopefully they demote bioware Montreal back to a support studio and change up the leadership after seeing its poor reception.

TI82

Banned
OléGunner;232899317 said:
Playing Horizon at the moment, then followed by Persona 5.
Those games deserve my cash more than ME:A right now definitely.

Good, good. I can't wait for next week persona 5 finallyyyyy

that seems like a veeery small list of known issues :D

i've fallen through geometry, enemies have fallen through geometry making progress impossible in quests.

i've seen clones of team members on the Tempest. Had fun talking to two Dracks at the same time.

sometimes you can walk up sheer walls

trophies might not unlock, (i don't have the gain access to the Tempest -trophy)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'd just like to add that the zigzag running animation likely wont seen by an absolute vast majority of players at any point as it requires specific input and directional play from the player, but it didn't stop it being utterly shitposted in gif form everywhere and now listed as an intended "fix".

Haunted

Has there ever been a AAA game that has ever patched out core art assets that weren't buggy? It's not bugs that caused the animation and model quality, it's just what they produced.

It's not happening.
Here's the question. Is this even an AAA game? Or was it just marketed as one?

With all the secrecy around numbers in this damn industry, I can't even tell if a (rumoured) budget of 40 million dollars qualifies as AAA.

Peterc

They could fix some animations, but the game is that bad, I think even 7.5 is even way to high for it. I don't think it's fixable, but of course they can fix some bugs.

TI82

Banned
They could fix some animations, but the game is that bad, I think even 7.5 is even way to high for it. I don't think it's fixable, but of course they can fix some bugs.

I think you may be right, this game is rotten to the core. Or as some say, this code stinks.

wege12

I honestly think that these animations are being overly criticized. They are certainly not perfect but I don't think they deserve the hate that is being thrown their way.

I really don't expect them to fix the facial animations, at least to anyone's satisfaction. Hopefully they can fix some of the other animation issues though, like twitching, or when characters appear overlayed on each other.

I've just accepted it for what it is. They facial animations are genuinely terrible and won't ever be fixed but I'm still finding enjoyment in the game aside from that.

Top Bottom