• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ive been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.

Last year my levels were good. Glucose normal, blood pressure normal.

This year my levels are not good. Im overweight and I guess its finally caught up to me. This year has been a change for me as I have been promoted at work and now Im going on trips that are catered and such. Ive spent about 6 weeks away from home this year just eating whatever. More alcohol than Im used to as well as I socialize with coworkers at functions.

My family is pissed because quite honestly, and maybe this is because of the diabetes, I said fuck it I dont care. I do care, but Ive been depressed quite a bit lately. Ive read diabetes can cause depression. Its happened a lot to me lately. Im a mailman and I walk everyday around 11 to 13 miles. The solitude has gotten to me during the last 6 or so months to where I just am literally crying by the time Im done with my route. Im not sad about my job, I love my job, but the endless walking gives me time to dwell and its fucking me up.

Does anyone else have experience with this? I cant even contemplate the changes to my diet Im going to have to do. Just typing this up is making me depressed and I want to just end this with saying fuck it. I know I cant, though. I also cant fathom how Im going to exercise more. Im literally exhausted when Im done walking all day.

Ugh.

How overweight are you? Overweight doesn't mean you have to exercis more, especially if you're overweight walking 13 miles daily then it sounds like your diet is shit. You need to realize what's wrong there and fix it.

It is a bit strange that you walk 11-13 miles a day and haven't lost weight. Please examine your diet with a stern eye and start making steps to fix things there.

You'll be ok OP. Hang in there. Depression sucks big time. But you can do this. It's time to get things back on track for yourself. Baby steps every day.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
My dad had diabetes. Just means you have to take regular injections of insulin and cut down on your carbs. Diabetes is a very controllable disease so you can pretty much live a normal life, and there are recent advances that makes a cure in the future a possibility.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
You walk 11-13 MILES every day and you're overweight?

How do you even find time to eat? Either way, that sucks, man. But it's time to be proactive about your health. Do you cook for yourself?

Just try and restrict your sugar and carb intake a bit. With you walking that much every day theres clearly an issue with what you are consuming. If you cut out sugary drinks you'll probably drop a lot of weight relatively quickly and feel much better/more energetic in the process. Try sticking to water, coffee and tea only for a week and see how you feel.

you family is.. pissed? real supportive

sorry you're having a tough time OP

can I ask just how overweight you are? cause I've had some concerns about being 20 lbs overweight .. 11 to 13 miles a day is a hell of a lot of walking

The Llama

If you walk 10+ miles every day and you're still overweight... Honestly man, just eat a salad for lunch 2-3 times a week instead of fast food, and cut dessert/etc. You maybe can't totally reverse things, but it shouldn't be too difficult to make some really large changes.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Bad diet and booze will always beat exercise.

3 craft beers is like 700 calories, which is like 5 miles of walking.

jb1234

Think about seeking professional help for your depression. As for the diabetes, take it seriously and modify your diet. Unchecked, it will fuck you up. You certainly won't be drinking much anymore (which will help your weight).

you family is.. pissed? real supportive

sorry you're having a tough time OP

can I ask just how overweight you are? cause I've had some concerns about being 20 lbs overweight .. 11 to 13 miles a day is a hell of a lot of walking

I believe they're pissed at his reaction (see the next sentence in his post).

I know my diet is shit. I eat bad food because I dont take time out to grocery shop or cook. I went to the store and meal prepped for the next few days some chicken and salads. Boiled eggs for breakfast or overnight oats. I literally go weeks without cooking.

As for my weight. Im 5'9 and 250. =( I hate even typing that.

TyrantII

Sounds like you have it backwards.

Your depression is causing you to have a terrible diet as a coping mechanism, which lead to diabetes.

You should go to a doctor and a therapist and see what you can do to get your depression under control.

Caramello

OP please listen to your doctor and follow their instructions on how to manage this.

Diabetes doesn't cause depression, the terrible diet you have that has caused your diabetes is what causes depression. It's very important that you understand the difference.

Come join us on team Keto. Make it a lifestyle change and you'll see huge improvements.

I'm not doing it because I'm overweight, but it's a common reason for folks to try it. A lot of people shed weight and even get off their diabetes meds.

I know my diet is shit. I eat bad food because I dont take time out to grocery shop or cook. I went to the store and meal prepped for the next few days some chicken and salads. Boiled eggs for breakfast or overnight oats. I literally go weeks without cooking.

Focus on the small things you can change first like what beverages you consume. Try to minimize sugar intake via beverages as much as possible and you'll notice a big improvement. Let that help spur you on to larger and larger dietary changes.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Isn't it more or less cured by weight loss if it was obesity-induced?

That's what I've read anyway but it's not 100% in every single case.

One article was talking about fat loss in the pancreas helped it produce insulin again. I mean the overall damage itself is probably permanent but if you make the changes quickly after diagnosis, I think the long term prognosis is basically normal since the condition can be reversed.

Lunzio

The first-line against diabetes is diet and exercise. You seem to be quite active so definitely take a look at your diet and see what you can improve. Usually, your GP will provide the DASH diet (http://dashdiet.org/default.asp). This generally consists of fruits and vegetables, lower carbs, etc.

Simple things to change your diet include removing all sodas and sticking with water/tea, choosing baked instead of fried, and eating off of smaller plates.

Depending on your A1C (blood sugar level over the last 3 months), the medication you are most likely to be started on is Metformin - many people take this! It will initially give you diarrhea, but most people are quick to adjust.

Additionally, definitely speak with your GP about your mood - depression is no joke and can make matters much worse. There are both types of therapy and medications that can alleviate this trouble. Never be afraid to talk about what you've been ruminating about - it's healthier to address it.

That being said, good luck on your endeavor and stay strong!

Ecto311

My job and my personal life has me alone a lot too. I listen to podcasts and pretend I have friends. It works well for me maybe give that a shot?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
If you're not already on insulin shots or medication, switch to a low-carb diet. You will get your blood sugar under control doing so.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/diabetes#normalize

My doctor said diabetes can most definitely cause depression.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/209132.php

Absolutely. No one wants diabetes. It also usually comes paired with overweight, which is depressing for most, too. The depression then often leads to poor eating habits, creating a self-perpetuating cycle.

Defuser

Change your diet and eat less. My dad did very well in controlling his diabetes when compared to his peers and family who still have problems because of their eating habits. You can do it OP!

My job and my personal life has me alone a lot too. I listen to podcasts and pretend I have friends. It works well for me maybe give that a shot?

I listen to music mostly. I think that has an effect on me as I usually listen to depressing music. lol. Im going to switch it up to mostly podcasts I think.

you're fucked OP, wish I could say nice thing but I've seen too many people not being able to handle this sickness.

Why are you even here?

OP, my wife has type 2. Happened during pregnancy. You need to change your eating habits. Your daily walking is great for you, but start by getting rid of sugary drinks and food. If you need sugar, eat a fruit.

OP, sounds like a simple diet change will go a long way. Start cooking for yourself, is all. Also, 250 pounds at 5'9 is not catastrophic. You're more than capable of fixing it.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
You have a job that can keep you healthy, so that's already a good start, plus you like the job, so another plus.

For the depression, do consult.

For the diet, it's all about actually losing taste for junk food and sweets, so it's really a matter of habits, so that it doesn't remain a constant fight. When I was a kid I was eating a lot of crap, and I can't explain how things changed I just know that over time I lost all desire for it. If I see dessert, I skip it, because I actually don't feel like eating it.

You'll want to get some hobbies/interests, even if it takes time, to become more social and have an interest in sharing activities with others. You walk a lot, so plan a hiking trip, if anyone wants to come along great, if not you will meet a lot of fellow hikers. You can camp, kayak, etc. It's a good way for people who are more used to be alone to open up, you connect with nature and with other people who are there for the same reasons, and at the same time can be alone when you want to.

You have a job that can keep you healthy, so that's already a good start, plus you like the job, so another plus.

For the depression, do consult.

For the diet, it's all about actually losing taste for junk food and sweets, so it's really a matter of habits, so that it doesn't remain a constant fight. When I was a kid I was eating a lot of crap, and I can't explain how things changed I just know that over time I lost all desire for it. If I see dessert, I skip it, because I actually don't feel like eating it.

You'll want to get some hobbies/interests, even if it takes time, to become more social and have an interest in sharing activities with others. You walk a lot, so plan a hiking trip, if anyone wants to come along great, if not you will meet a lot of fellow hikers. You can camp, kayak, etc. It's a good way for people who are more used to be alone to open up, you connect with nature and with other people who are there for the same reasons, and at the same time can be alone when you want to.

Sugary stuff is a large part of my diet, well it was. I havent ate any sugar for two days now and to be honest I felt ridiculous. I had to google what was wrong with me. I didnt realize you could have sugar withdrawal. I had to throw away a pint of Ben and Jerrys or I was going to cave. Im actually starting to feel a bit better now. I have another doctors appointment tomorrow afternoon. We didnt really get in-depth on my diet but I assume we will then.

BriGuy

OP, sounds like a simple diet change will go a long way. Start cooking for yourself, is all. Also, 250 pounds at 5'9 is not catastrophic. You're more than capable of fixing it.
Seriously. Eat a salad every now and then and give up sugary drinks. You'll shed pounds like it's going out of style walking as much as you do.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Sugary stuff is a large part of my diet, well it was. I havent ate any sugar for two days now and to be honest I felt ridiculous. I had to google what was wrong with me. I didnt realize you could have sugar withdrawal. I had to throw away a pint of Ben and Jerrys or I was going to cave. Im actually starting to feel a bit better now. I have another doctors appointment tomorrow afternoon. We didnt really get in-depth on my diet but I assume we will then.

Ask him/her about low-carb. It absolutely will work for fixing your diabetes, and probably body weight problems, too. You unequivocally need to stop eating sugar and foods heavy in carbohydrate if you care about your long-term survival and health.

jb1234

You'll be amazed how much better you feel without all that sugar. Your body will catch up soon.

Mosse

Neo Member
OP please listen to your doctor and follow their instructions on how to manage this.

Diabetes doesn't cause depression, the terrible diet you have that has caused your diabetes is what causes depression. It's very important that you understand the difference.

I've found that when my bloodsugar is too high, I always get really tired and often a bit depressed, and the longer I stay too high, the worse it gets. Also when my bloodsuger levels are all over the place and are hard to keep under control I can get depressed. So I can see how diabetes can cause depression for some.

you're fucked OP, wish I could say nice thing but I've seen too many people not being able to handle this sickness.

OP is far from fucked, but your comment is. This is the opposite of what you want to hear when you just got diabetes and could actually make people feel more depressed. Since it's type 2 and the OP got it recently, a change in diet and some help from his doctors could go a long way in making him feel much better.

My suggestion is to talk with others that have diabetes, if you know somebody, since I've found that to help a lot.

Mr. X

bhuxryjamp8y.png

Laekon

You probably have a good enough insurance plan to get a consult with a dietician so ask for one. Start using a food diary like myfitnesspal.com so you can see where you are starting from. There is no reason you can't turn this around quickly.

All the study you linked doesn't prove anything, it just found a correlation.

TaterTots

Banned
Man, life is weird how it handles an individual differently. I weighed 400+ lbs for years and my blood work was immaculate. Good news is that type 2 diabetes can be reversible through diet and exercise. You can do it.

Welcome to the club.

I'm going to have to ask you to start taking your medicine and watching what you eat now.

It sucks and it's hard but every minute your levels are out of control diabetes is attacking your eyes, your ears, your nervous system and your organs. If you don't control it you'll lose them one by one. I've already, at 41, got a bit of neuropathy in my feet and it's not any kind of picnic. Well, maybe one with shit sandwiches. Once you get your levels under control and get your body healthier you'll feel better, which can only help with your depression.

It's a disease you can send into remission if you eat properly, my step father lost the weight and watched his diet, at age 62, 8 years after he was diagnosed with the disease he was told it was in remission..

Iirc a ketogenic diet has the highest chance of reversing type 2 diabetes, and luckily as far as diets go its arguably one of the most sustainable.

Anecdotal evidence is flying fast and furious here so I want to say please don't expect it to go away just because you lose weight. It goes into remission for some people, for others it's a lifelong condition that has to be carefully controlled. I'm in category 2 and was crestfallen when my doctor explained this. But you can learn to live with it.

Zackat

if you walk that much every day for your job, then you just need to work on your diet and you will probably feel sooooo much better. listen to what your doctor says to do, and do it.

Last year my levels were good. Glucose normal, blood pressure normal.

This year my levels are not good. Im overweight and I guess its finally caught up to me. This year has been a change for me as I have been promoted at work and now Im going on trips that are catered and such. Ive spent about 6 weeks away from home this year just eating whatever. More alcohol than Im used to as well as I socialize with coworkers at functions.

My family is pissed because quite honestly, and maybe this is because of the diabetes, I said fuck it I dont care. I do care, but Ive been depressed quite a bit lately. Ive read diabetes can cause depression. Its happened a lot to me lately. Im a mailman and I walk everyday around 11 to 13 miles. The solitude has gotten to me during the last 6 or so months to where I just am literally crying by the time Im done with my route. Im not sad about my job, I love my job, but the endless walking gives me time to dwell and its fucking me up.

Does anyone else have experience with this? I cant even contemplate the changes to my diet Im going to have to do. Just typing this up is making me depressed and I want to just end this with saying fuck it. I know I cant, though. I also cant fathom how Im going to exercise more. Im literally exhausted when Im done walking all day.

Ugh.

https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/

Top Bottom