• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Pixel 2 - answers are coming Oct 4th

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Sorry, Google, 6P battery fiasco has me burnt on your phones forever.

And no waterproofing and no headphone jack on this thing sealed the deal.

Going to Samsung, which I'm kinda apprehensive about, but whatev.

Fuck, I REALLY don't want to leave vanilla Android behind. Samsung... I just can't. But I'm with you on the 6P battery shit, the lack of a headphone jack (they even made a damn point out of having one last year), etc. What do I do.

Exile20

Fuck, I REALLY don't want to leave vanilla Android behind. Samsung... I just can't. But I'm with you on the 6P battery shit, the lack of a headphone jack (they even made a damn point out of having one last year), etc. What do I do.

I am looking at the V30. Screw Google and this battery/rebooting shit.

Audioboxer

See what the OnePlus 5T is like. Or 6.

If Samsung were still using snapdragon you'd be fine for AOSP. It's because they've gone exynos (in house) it's destroyed the development scene. It's a faster processor than Qualcomm have been managing, but given the AOSP only requires kernel sources Samsung do not release development sources for their proprietary exynos chip(s). Android devs have to reverse engineer.

I've got an S6 and even now AOSP still isn't fully stable. TouchWizz is still bloated bollocks and Samsung OS updating time frames are absolute garbage.

Samsung software seems mostly tolerable these days, and god, the S8 design is fucking gorgeous. Best looking phone ever, no question.

Pixel design is just embarrassing compared to what Samsung is putting out now.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Samsung software seems mostly tolerable these days, and god, the S8 design is fucking gorgeous. Best looking phone ever, no question.

Pixel design is just embarrassing compared to what Samsung is putting out now.

I just don't think I can do mostly-tolerable-but-still-pretty-damn-slow-and-bloated after using nothing but clean, smooth Android ever since the GNex.

I am looking at the V30. Screw Google and this battery/rebooting shit.

Lol just wait till the shoddy motherboard soldering melts and your phone gets stuck in a boot loop. LG is by far my least favorite phone manufacturer because I've had two separate phones that have done that (a 5x and a g4) and I've heard the g5's also had the same ridiculous problem.

I just don't think I can do mostly-tolerable-but-still-pretty-damn-slow-and-bloated after using nothing but clean, smooth Android ever since the GNex.

I get you. I quite likely might regret making the switch, but with the Pixel 2 looking like a dud and my 6P going to shit, I basically feel no choice but to skip Google's products for the next couple years.

It's a pretty shitty situation all around for us Nexus loyalists. Those of us with these defective 6Ps really need to replace our phones, and Google's not making it easy for us with this Pixel shit.

Audioboxer

TouchWizz isn't really slow anymore, but it still noticeably has a million things going on.

The biggest downside to TouchWizz is Samsungs borderline psychotic OS update schedule. Because they release 95 versions of the same phone around the world software updates are so slow. Like 6 months+ later than Google at times. You're lucky to get one major Android update per Samsung handset because at the 2 year mark they stop updating too. It's painful.

killroy87

I get you. I quite likely might regret making the switch, but with the Pixel 2 looking like a dud and my 6P going to shit, I basically feel no choice but to skip Google's products for the next couple years.

It's a pretty shitty situation all around for us Nexus loyalists.

I'll be really curious to see how the regular Pixel 2 sells, it's just such an unattractive option in 2017. You have to basically be on board for the software, and only the software. Aside from that, there are better options all around you.

As a real fan of the original Pixel, I hope this one doesn't stall their momentum too much.

jelly

Weird that Google have continued going the opposite direction with expensive devices and lacking in quality to boot. Have users giving them the signal that any price and moderate quality is okay.

HvySky

I can't imagine Google including anything that would justify those prices, especially when they're willing to remove features like the headphone jack (after the previous year when that was a selling point).

OnePlus and LG look so enticing right now.

I'll be really curious to see how the regular Pixel 2 sells, it's just such an unattractive option in 2017. You have to basically be on board for the software, and only the software. Aside from that, there are better options all around you.

As a real fan of the original Pixel, I hope this one doesn't stall their momentum too much.

Have we seen any numbers on how the Pixel 1 has sold?

I'm kinda skeptical that this high-end mass market phone experiment is working out for Google - at least from a sales perspective.

My mom needed to replace her work phone, so I convinced her to buy a Pixel and she likes it a lot. But she's the only person I know who has one.

ty_hot

A friend of mine wanted a decent but cheap phone, I recommended him an used G4 because it reached the 2 year point where people that had contracts are now free to sell it really cheap, and it has good specs. Ok, he got it for his girlfriend.

Now 2 months later he wanted one for himself, couldnt find any used one at Game so he had the awesome idea of buying one New (or refurb, not sure)... For 350 Euros! The S7 is 400, the G6 is 410, there are many other options in the same price range... he had an S8+ but returned it so price wasn't really an issue. And he went and bought a fkng almost 3 year old android phone for 350 euros. I feel very bad when people close to me make these stupid purchases. Last time was my godmother that got a 480p, 512mb android phone for more than 100 euros in an airport (whyyyy???) because "the seller saud it was a really good phone, its made in France!" (Wyko or something like this is the name of the brand)... Argh.

Here's the Pixel 2 in "Kinda Blue."

nexus2cee_p22-728x437.png

The 64GB model will be $649, with the 128GB $100 more at $749. That means that prices have stayed the same when compared to last year's model, but since the standard storage size is now 64GB instead of 32GB, the $649 is actually a better value.

i like the look of the black and white, looks like something out of mirror's edge lmao. how much bigger is the XL 2 versus the original XL? i'm definitely getting the XL cause it's supposedly the same size as the regular now but just has a much bigger screen

i understand the price complaints cause jesus this phone is getting up there... $850... fuck. at least i've budgeted $1000 for a new phone. gonna buy it outright and hopefully own it for a couple years. the price is high, but at the end of the day I loved the pixel 1. it's a basic phone in terms of design, but it's reliable, runs stock android (it comes sooo clean), gets updates as soon as they arrive, and has my favorite phone camera to boot. i'm not a google guy by any means but i just thought they created a really solid phone. pixel 2 will likely just be a slightly prettier version with better specs.

e: just seen the smaller version is $200 cheaper. damn. maybe I will grab that blue instead.

ty_hot

At least they give you 128 for the $1k model, unlike a certain other company.
Google doesnt know what they are doing. With the new iPhone X price they should have kept last year's Pixel price and improve on it. 64gb is still a joke for a premium phone. Google isnt in this business to get rich (otherwise it wouldn't be so hard to find a Pixel...), They are in this just to show how good android can be. Just do a great phone, with great price, then all tech sites would have the headline "pixel 2 is better than the new iphone".

Looks like I'm sticking with Samsung for my next phone. Google was my last holdout for a strong argument to try other Android devices this year. Oh well.

Starting to looking into Android phones after the iPhone reveal; can you not put stock Android on a Samsung phone? I was always under the assumption that you could.

Honestly, fuck all of these phone manufacturers dumping headphone jacks.

Bluetooth still isn't good and reliable enough to adequately make up for the lack of a headphone jack. Not even close.

Not to mention the hassle of having to charge all of your headphones all the time.

Starting to looking into Android phones after the iPhone reveal; can you not put stock Android on a Samsung phone? I was always under the assumption that you could.

Not on us versions for the last few years at least. Internation versions that don't use Qualcomm you can.

airborn

Nokia 8?

That's probably the closest thing to a Nexus type device in 2017.

ArchAngel

Google still has no replacement unit for my Pixel XL 128GB. Please let them exchange it for a Pixel 2 XL after launch because they produce no more units of the old one :D

cwmartin

Any possibility they include a wireless bud/headphone in the box? They can make a huge splash there if they are removing the headphone jack.

Sorry for my ignorance since never bought a Google phone. Will these be sold through carriers and lower price or we need to buy from Google and take to carrier?

Lgndryhr

I was already leaning towards a no from earlier leaks but with something more concrete I am definitely not getting one. Seems my new phone will be a Note 8 if the price ever comes down. These phone prices are getting ridiculous.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
I was already leaning towards a no from earlier leaks but with something more concrete I am definitely not getting one. Seems my new phone will be a Note 8 if the price ever comes down. These phone prices are getting ridiculous.

Just buy last year's model. That's usually my strategy.

Lulu23

Man I would be so in the market for some nice hardware with stock Android, but they really seem to be fucking it up again.
I think they should just pair up with Samsung again and give us a S8 Play Edition.

Hasney

Man I would be so in the market for some nice hardware with stock Android, but they really seem to be fucking it up again.
I think they should just pair up with Samsung again and give us a S8 Play Edition.

The Play Edition phones booommmbed. They're not happening again.

linkboy

These are what they're currently going for on Swappa (these links are for the unlocked Google Play edition, which has an unlockable bootloader).

Pixel XL (All colors - 32GB and 128GB)

Pixel (All colors - 32GB and 128GB)

I bought my XL on Swappa back in July and it's been nothing short of perfect.

Wow, those are some amazing prices for a great phone, just received mine as a replacement for my 6P and even though in some respects its a downgrade from it, its a great phone.

It's good that answers are coming, because right now the questions are starting to sound like, "What the fuck were you thinking!?" "Why is it so damn expensive?" "The hell is wrong with you?"

Kevyt

How do you like the sound of an extra fancy speaker? Now your phone will have TWO speakers on it, for those times you want to listen to music from your phone directly! Screw headphones! Now you can be annoying like kids used to be on the back of the bus in the mid-2000's blaring music from their phone speakers!

Well I use the dual speakers when listening to music alone in my room :p

I am one of those people, but to be fair, the 6P's problem is really bad. Like, at any given time, I have no idea how much battery I have left on mine, which makes it almost unusable when not plugged in or at least nearby a power source.

As far as we can tell in the Nexus 6P thread, Huawei cut corners on the battery, which is why lots of us are getting premature shutdowns (mine shuts down at around 50% now). Google is aware of the problem but has no fix, except to replace the devices.

It seems I must have won the battery lottery with my 6p. No issues whatsoever with it and I still can get a reliable 3 an a half hours of screen on time with moderate use. It's been gradually getting worse, the battery drains much faster than before but it's still reliable.

I honestly just wish there was a way to upgrade your phone like you can with PC's, lol.

Yeah after the 6p, never going back to Google phone. My OP3 is the vanilla, not the 3T and I'm still amazed they both came out at the same time, cause besides the camera on the 6p, this one plus is way better in performance.

Sorry Google, you fucked uo, don't care about the pixels.

Top Bottom