• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Study: France, Germany, Spain&most Europe more racist towards blacks than Britain, US

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
You mean Europe isn't the land of perfect everything like some on GAF would have me believe????

I don't think anyone has seriously claimed that. But as a black person in Sweden you don't have to walk around afraid that a cop will murder you for existing, so there's that!

Nerdkiller

Membeur
In the UK the left wing press can be as hysterical and as frenzied as the right wing press, hence people get this overall bad impression of the place.

The UK is actually far more down the middle of your average hand wringing, head slapping extreme political toilet pape... I mean Newspaper.
If you only read The Mirror, maybe.

You mean Europe isn't the land of perfect everything like some on GAF would have me believe????
Read the thread and you'll actually find out that the OP was misleading, and that America is still more racist.

According to a nonsensical and pointless study that doesn't measure racism.

I don't think anyone has seriously claimed that. But as a black person in Sweden you don't have to walk around afraid that a cop will murder you for existing, so there's that!

an African-American from Georgia, USA made a YouTube channel about how it is for an Black American to live in Portugal and travel in other parts of Europe compared to the US.

In Portugal, the first observation after 3 months he makes is that people mind their own business as opposed to be afraid to stray in a white neighborhood in the South of the US.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skCm0jtpk2c

Read the thread and you'll actually find out that the OP was misleading, and that America is still more racist.

According to a nonsensical and pointless study that doesn't measure racism.

Towards black people, an important distinction to make. Towards Romani, South East Asians, etc not so much.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Legit asking how many black people there actually are in certain sections of Europe?

There are roughly 40 million in the US. I wonder how that compares to East and West Europe.

The Wart

Stopped reading at IAT. IAT is a valuable demonstration of the existence of implicit bias -- there is no reason to think that it accurately measures relative amounts of implicit bias between individuals or groups.

Why does it surprise you?

Isn't anti-black racism especially bad in Eastern Europe?

I don't hear a lot of good things about Eastern Europe

That's the least surprising thing. If I ever visited I'd be terrified of venturing outside the major cities.

That whole area is super racist you know.

It doesn't surprise me, bad results for Germany (and for France even more so) do surprise me though.

Shouldn't surprise you lol, the whole East are very backwards when it comes to race and equality.

What suprises me is Germany and France. WTF??

I must be really naive then. I have always thought that it was the west that had the major problems when it comes to racism.

IAT was weird for me, personally. I've taken it three times and got a different result each time (biased against whites, no bias, and biased against blacks). Maybe I just harbor bias against all other people.

THE GUY

Banned
France has always seemed like a bit of a shithole for minorities, and my nephew didn't have the most pleasant of experiences in Germany. And that's a warning sign if he's gone there on vacation for two weeks and ran into more problems than he does at home in 6 months.

A lot of countries in the West are progressive and nice places to live for white people mostly. For people of colour and minorities, it's a matter of rolling the dice in some cases.

It doesn't surprise me, bad results for Germany (and for France even more so) do surprise me though.
Eastern Germany largely drags the scores in those surveys down. In many parts the percentage of minorities is as low as it is in Eastern European countries (particularly Saxony which coincidentially also has a big problem with large numbers of neo-nazis).

Berlin is the big exception but it's also the capital and western Berlin was a part of the Federal Republic, so it really isn't surprising.

Also a bigh laugh at the OP, talk about selectively picking information in a way that fits your own agenda. Can you show us on the doll where we evil Europeans touched you?

I think I posted in the last thread about this.

The only time I experienced any direct, in your face, racism was when I lived in the UK. Got called the N word in my own village by a few peeps. Had some small issues with them as a result...

Having lived in Italy and Germany, I'd say they were much nicer to me. Especially Germany... they were very kind and were even kinder when they saw I could speak Deutsche.

Tagyhag

What really surprises me is eastern Europe. WTF?

You shouldn't be. Eastern Europe has a huge inferiority complex due to Western Europe considering them to be uneducated ex-Soviets.

People with inferiority complexes will seek out a scapegoat so that they can feel better about themselves.

The surprising one is Finland.

Fritz

For everybody pointing fingers: yes, we are all racists doesn't matter whether US or EU. Let's all get over the fact and start working on it.

Gutek

I wonder how many unarmed black people got shot by police in all of Europe last year.

Edit: or how much of the black European population is currently in jail or has served time.

Micael

Have seen this bullshit source in at least 2 different threads at this point, it hasn't gotten any less stupid:

Well this is pretty bad "science", its a voluntary test that is only accessible in English, where the subjects taking the test are coming on their own to it while knowing what the test is about, and it has vastly different data points, like Sweden has over 5000 data points for a population of 10 million, while Spain has a 2000 data points for a population of 46 million.

Technically speaking even the area where the test is being taken isn't verified, but that is really a minor thing in comparison.

Harmen

Racism is a worldwide problem, that much should be clear, to anyone. But I wouldn't take this type of test as any kind of hard evidence which place is worse or less worse.

Even in a bullshit thread about bullshit statistics, Norway stays winning!

And yes, Eastern Europe is racist af.

But then again, racism is a global problem. Go outside of touristy areas of most African countries to be in for some next-level racism. Same with most Asian countries.

Towards black people, an important distinction to make. Towards Romani, South East Asians, etc not so much.

I'm not sure about SE Asians and "etc" but I'd say that Roma get shit on by many Europeans here on GAF at least whenever a thread pops up about them.

Regarding thread topic, I'm white and American but anecdotally I'd rather be black in Western Europe than in America, it's no contest

I'm not surprised. Just another reason for me to never visit, I'll stick to the racism I know. Least here in the US I know when someone calls me a nigger.

There's been like 3 thread on this topic since last year lol.

Seems like there's an interest in "contextualising" racism in the USA...

Micerider

I cannot talk about other countries but in Poland it still very visible, unfortunately.

Yeah. When my company (belgian) started to set up our office in Poland, we had to send some of our employees there to coach. We had local councelors to guide them and our black employees were the only ones getting the "don't go out alone at night" recommendations.

I love studies. Like the climate change study. Lets make up crap for a living.

This "study" was probably paid for by someone in the US that wants to feel better.

Europe has been struggling with neo Nazis for longer than the us has, it makes sense.

growing up in the 90s in the city of Rauma, Finland, i seriously thought neonazis were just a normal everyday thing, saw roaming gangs of them all the time. in school EVERY tough kid wanted to be one, drawing swastikas everywhere and dressing up like them with the bomber jackets etc. it was a time of economic anxiety though, i think it was a way for boys to rebel and let out some steam.

now its pretty fucked up to think about it..

Micerider

I love studies. Like the climate change study. Lets make up crap for a living.

This "study" was probably paid for by someone in the US that wants to feel better.

There is a racism problem in Europe though. And finding ways to better understand it is one step to fight it. I don't think racism in Europe has the same shape it has in the US though, so comparisons based on these studies might not make a lot of sense (hell I don't think this study would have a valid comparison of racism between EU countries).

Piecake

Implicit association tests are awful, and even if they weren't, the samples for those tests are self-selecting.

http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2017/01/psychologys-racism-measuring-tool-isnt-up-to-the-job.html

This graph is meaningless; completely unfit to make international comparisons of the nature it wants.

http://www.npr.org/templates/transcript/transcript.php?storyId=531587708

After a police-involved shooting, there's often a familiar blame game: Maybe the cop was racist. Maybe the person who was shot really was threatening. Or maybe, the bias that leads cops to shoot affects us all. This week on Hidden Brain, we explore how unconscious bias can infect a culture — and how a police shooting may say as much about a community as it does about individuals.

You should listen to this podcast.

While the IAT cannot predict whether or not an individual will act on his/her racist/prejudiced thougths, it can predict whether or not a society will engage in racist actions based on the level of unconscious biases in the community.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom