• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition |OT| first real survival-horror for X360

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Most of the damage I took in normal was from me not paying attention to the shotgun-dudes.

All of my deaths were related to QTEs.
What difficulty were you running? I do agree about the gun dudes...those, besides one other regular enemy, were definitely dangerous. They were the bastards who killed me in that side mission.

Bebpo said:
Yeah, I circled around it but couldn't find anyway in...strange. Not going to drive all the way back there anytime soon though :p Was it just a trading card that I missed? Or are the rewards substantial?
Hmmm...weird. You'll likely come back to that area later when you get interested in some of the other missions (and come back with a better, faster car, too.) I couldn't tell you about the reward for getting all of the cards since I haven't found them all yet, but you do get something at the Panda Bear gun shop for every eight cards you collect and then show to the proprietor there...I think it's a discount thing...can't remember right now....but it is, at least, part of that character's side mission set. It's not bad, anyway.

Rat Salad

Banned
WTF is up with this game? I found a diner and wanted to order some diner to replinish my energy and my character starts going off bragging about Olivia Newton John and the movie Xanadu,the whole time this waitress is like *holy hell there guy really isn't all there,*
she is like wtf is wrong with this dude. Its goofy but the game has a strange appeal,its sand box type areas remind me of ShenMue with the partswhere you need to sleep and eat,and GTA with the driving and housing areas,so I guess that also helps. I dunno why but I do like having to focus on keeping your strength up and getting rest between furthering the story and is just another element to keep track of,but it is fun. Sometimes I feel intimidated with the areas to explore,I guess thats my own personal burden because I love exploring for hidden stuff in these type of games.

Carnby

Karma said:
For $150 more you can have this game and a 360.

i already have a 360 and this game. ...i know. it sounds strange. but i kinda want it for the ps3 because i have a feeling it will be very hard to find in a few years.

Banned
jaekwon15 said:
i already have a 360 and this game. ...i know. it sounds strange. but i kinda want it for the ps3 because i have a feeling it will be very hard to find in a few years.

You want to import and spend $70 when you have a 360 and could play the game today for $20? Yeah, That sounds weird but do what ya feel.

Can someone please explain the fishing game to me? I don't understand it at all, and I've been playing for ten minutes with no success. Always seems like the reel stops on everything but what I'm supposed to be catching. Really starting to get frustrated.

Kevtones

Eel O'Brian said:
Can someone please explain the fishing game to me? I don't understand it at all, and I've been playing for ten minutes with no success. Always seems like the reel stops on everything but what I'm supposed to be catching. Really starting to get frustrated.

The present just gives you a
Polly Oxford card
so it's probably not worth the effort unless you're trying to get everything. Personally, I prefer a diet of pickles and lollipops over fish.

I think the reel moves about 3 to 4 blocks before it actually stops.
It's not 100% but before long I was nailing those gifts.

BTW I think each lake has at least one special gift. Some areas have multiple fishing spots next to each other but they all share the same rewards.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
From what I could tell the Red gift was the special one and yellow was just a normal gift. There's no trick to it. Buy 99 worms and have at it until you get what you want. It's not really worth it unless you want to collect all the cards.

This game sure is addicting. I'm on Chapter 2 Part 1 just after the art gallery. I think I've played about 11 hours so far. Right now I have a huge chunk of time before the next event and I'm going to try to find all the bones and tackle as many side quests as I can.

Again, this game is way better than I thought it would be. Characters and story are fascinating. I'm very interested in what's happening and every single character in the town is interesting. Plus I'm constantly laughing my ass off.

Honestly the only thing I haven't liked is the annoying map - you can't zoom out far enough and it turns so you're constantly getting confused.

Seriously though get that radio it's so awesome so so so awesome.
Use it anywhere and boom a list of almost every location in the game. Pick a location and bam you're there. Whatever car you're driving is teleported with you. It's so good..

There was something I was supposed to catch for the storyline (no spoilers), so I just stabbed at the A button randomly until I got it. I am never playing that minigame again, no matter what the prize is. Terrible game design. Well, terrible enough that the hilarity can't overcome it, unlike the rest of the game's control quirks.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Use it anywhere and boom a list of almost every location in the game. Pick a location and bam you're there. Whatever car you're driving is teleported with you. It's so good..

Yeah, the radio is a godsend. Not that I don't enjoy the driving, but after pumping 25 hours in the game, I just want to get where I want to go ASAP.

I think it's hilarious that the radio still puts you 3 mins away from Harry's mansion. You've gotta do that drive no matter what.

Eel O'Brian said:
There was something I was supposed to catch for the storyline (no spoilers), so I just stabbed at the A button randomly until I got it. I am never playing that minigame again, no matter what the prize is. Terrible game design. Well, terrible enough that the hilarity can't overcome it, unlike the rest of the game's control quirks.

Uhhh, fishing is so easy.

Press A when the screen prompts you to so you can start the minigame, then press A again 3-4 spots in front of the item you want to catch. Let the bar cycle through a couple times so you have a good idea of where the item is you want and when to press the button.

I can get almost anything in 1 try.

Might pick this up at lunch today of the EB Games near my work still has it....

Almost bought it last week then chickened out. I'm totally not in the market for a new game, but I have a feeling this might be hard to find later.

For $ 20, how bad can it be?

Are you using the hold breath/hide action?

I'm surprised by how much dislike there is for the 'other world' sections. A few of them are initially pretty frustrating due to some rooms having unlimited spawning at a bottleneck, but I didn't think that the controls were all that bad...actually, they weren't much of an issue after acclimating to them in the first dungeon or so in the first episodes. Certainly, I didn't think they were all that difficult to come to terms with, no real late game surprises or elements that might expose and exploit its weaknesses, anyway. I don't think I'm more easily able to adapt and learn than most gamers, but I sometimes have to wonder if I'm better than I think I am.

Red Blaster said:
I fucking hate the "dungeons" in this game. Fourth-rate RE4 clone with controls from hell.

I don't mind them at all because they're a good break from the rest of the game and they're so incredibly linear and short that they can usually be run through in less than 10 mins.

EDIT: and the controls are fine.

vocab

So does anyone know why Ignition chose not to bring the PS3 version over? $70ish PS3 version is kinda depressing.

Welp I'm an idiot, I completely forgot about the breath holding, those should make those parts a bit less annoying. I'm mainly griping about the incredibly low sensitivity on the aiming controls, since I've been trying to line-up headshots. The dungeons are definitely the worst part of the game though, everything else is quite good.

Also when can I stop investigating and go off and do side-missions? I'm
at the lumber mill after visiting the crime scene up at Forest Park

Red Blaster said:
Welp I'm an idiot, I completely forgot about the breath holding, those should make those parts a bit less annoying. I'm mainly griping about the incredibly low sensitivity on the aiming controls, since I've been trying to line-up headshots. The dungeons are definitely the worst part of the game though, everything else is quite good.

Also when can I stop investigating and go off and do side-missions? I'm
at the lumber mill after visiting the crime scene up at Forest Park

You're like 5% done the game. There's a huge amount of time to do sidequests in the next 30+ hours of the storyline.

Also, I've never used the breath holding mechanic even once outside of the
hiding from the raincoat killer
sections. I'm pretty far along in the game too so I really think it's a waste of a feature.

I wouldn't even really call it an RE4 clone. All it has in common is the perspective and the ability to quick-turn. In practice it's about as stiff as anything pre-RE4 and feels right in line with the combat out of an old Silent Hill or something.

Besides most of the time you'll be lucky(unlucky?) to face off with more than three enemies at a time. Usually that problem is solved simply by holding one's breath, taking a few steps back, and then making with the headshots. The optional areas can be a hassle since there's less cover but there's usually some explosive barrels to even things out. Fair warning though as breath control is useless against enemies that have gone into the "about to fire shotgun" animation. Course they're so slow it should be easy to just move out of the way.

Furthermore even if you only hold your breath for less than a second an enemy will go into that "WHRRR RRRR UUUU?" animation giving you ample time to wander wherever. Holy crap these guys make the average zombie look competent. Don't forget that you can also hit the L button while aiming to lock onto an enemy. Granted it won't lock onto their head or whatever their weakpoint is it'll get you close enough to where it isn't a big headache so you can then manually move to the head with minimal effort.

Consider hunting down the flamethrower/magnum as soon as you are able btw. It'll make certain fights several times more bearable.

Bebpo

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:

There's a teleport radio? OMG GAME MAKER.

Where and when do you get this?

Bebpo said:
There's a teleport radio? OMG GAME MAKER.

Where and when do you get this?

First step is I think you have to do the first sidequest for Freeman which is looking for his missing dumbbell. This quest can be done as soon as you arrive at the sheriff's office for the first time.

Afterwards I'm not sure on the specifics(gamefaqs would be a better help I'm sure) but check around for Freeman offering another sidequest back at his house. He'll tell you to find a "Nameless Flower" for his mother.

There are a number of flowers on the map but I think you need a specific one. I stumbled upon the one near a lake(I needed a place to sleep and that spot happened to have a bed nearby). If you're not sure hit up gamefaqs. Give Freeman the flower and he'll give you the radio.

The Interrobanger said:
The flamethrower makes the
Predator-camo wall walkers
so incredibly easy. They're kind of a bitch without it though.

I used the SMG on the first one I fought...big mistake.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Consider hunting down the flamethrower/magnum as soon as you are able btw. It'll make certain fights several times more bearable.

The flamethrower makes the
Predator-camo wall walkers
so incredibly easy. They're kind of a bitch without it though.

WTF? That flamethrower is actually useful for something? Damn it. I did the grave dude's side mission and got it...couldn't find a worthy use for it seeing as how I had already gotten the unlimited magnum and shotgun. Yeah, that would've made those encounters way easier.

Duelist

Wow, this game completely flew under my radar.

Come tomorrow, on the launch day of FF13, I will walk into EB and get Deadly Premonition.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Does anything bad happen if you completely blow off a story case? I'm supposed to meet Emily at the A&G Diner soon but I want to keep doing side quests.

Bebpo

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:
First step is I think you have to do the first sidequest for Freeman which is looking for his missing dumbbell. This quest can be done as soon as you arrive at the sheriff's office for the first time.

Afterwards I'm not sure on the specifics(gamefaqs would be a better help I'm sure) but check around for Freeman offering another sidequest back at his house. He'll tell you to find a "Nameless Flower" for his mother.

There are a number of flowers on the map but I think you need a specific one. I stumbled upon the one near a lake(I needed a place to sleep and that spot happened to have a bed nearby). If you're not sure hit up gamefaqs. Give Freeman the flower and he'll give you the radio.

Ah, cool. Yeah I grabbed one on the way back to town from the Lumber Mill episode.

Bebpo

Banned
Ugh, game just crashed on me when I left a house. Now loading screen -> black screen frozen, X360 guide button doesn't respond. Blah, hope this doesn't happen often. I need to save more!

Zoso said:
Does anything bad happen if you completely blow off a story case? I'm supposed to meet Emily at the A&G Diner soon but I want to keep doing side quests.

Blow her off if you like. Next time you run into her she'll say something to the effect of "Well it can wait until tomorrow. No big deal."

Greenvale's finest at work here.

Bebpo said:
Ugh, game just crashed on me when I left a house. Now loading screen -> black screen frozen, X360 guide button doesn't respond. Blah, hope this doesn't happen often. I need to save more!

Weird.. I've had zero crashes. Do you have the game installed? I don't.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah I installed it. Doesn't seem to help much though. Still have decent loading.

Has anyone made a full-sized map of the game? It would be really useful for reference when driving around.

I think I'm gonna glaze through the rest of story beat this tomorrow.

I've done 43/50 sidequests (only ones left are Emily's and the chapter 26 ones), have 57/64 cards and own all the cars.

Now that I've done most of the extra side content, I'm getting a bit bored and wanna finish this off with a bang...can't wait to see how crazy the story gets.

PepsimanVsJoe said:

I used the SMG on the first one I fought...big mistake.

OMG I'm stuck at this part and don't have my flame thrower with me. I wonder if I can back track in the museum and find a tool box. HATE fighting these things with the smg, its what made me take a break.

Goddammit I wanted to reduce my spending this month until I came into this damn thread. Now I have a confirmation email from Amazon letting me know my game has shipped. fml

Bought it yesterday, played for a couple of hours last night.

Something about this game- I have to keep playing just to see how fuckin' weird it gets. The shooting controls do suck, but they're actually not as bad as I was prepared for. Love the inappropriate music and weird characters so far.

I've only just arrrived at the hospital, so I've still only scratched the surface. So glad I picked this up...thanks GAF!

And props to Shane and the folks at Ignition for bringing this out at such a low price!

slasher_thrasher21 said:
OMG I'm stuck at this part and don't have my flame thrower with me. I wonder if I can back track in the museum and find a tool box. HATE fighting these things with the smg, its what made me take a break.

Do you have the shotgun or magnum? Just shoot it so it stops its attacking animation, run to the other side of the area while it's stunned, repeat x 10 and you're done.

These fights really, really suck though. Especially in
Sacred Area B where you have to fight 6 of them pretty much back to back.

The Interrobanger said:
Do you have the shotgun or magnum? Just shoot it so it stops its attacking animation, run to the other side of the area while it's stunned, repeat x 10 and you're done.

These fights really, really suck though. Especially in
Sacred Area B where you have to fight 6 of them pretty much back to back.

Well there is like three of four you have to fight at the part I'm at and yeah it just sucks it takes so long to kill them. I got frustrated. I like the game enough to not let it kill my playthrough but still annoying. Yeah I just have the hand gun and the smg unlimited. Where the fuck is the shotgun? I've been wanting it forever and have lots of ammo for it.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Well there is like three of four you have to fight at the part I'm at and yeah it just sucks it takes so long to kill them. I got frustrated. I like the game enough to not let it kill my playthrough but still annoying. Yeah I just have the hand gun and the smg unlimited. Where the fuck is the shotgun? I've been wanting it forever and have lots of ammo for it.
I got my shotgun from a dead zombie in the
art gallery
. The unlimited ammo version is earned in the
Sacred Area B
sidequest. I just use the unlimited ammo flamethrower (earned for
giving the gravekeeper all 7 bones
) on them all the time though, it takes awhile to kill them but it makes it really easy not to get hit and it reloads fast.

The Interrobanger said:
I got my shotgun from a dead zombie in the
art gallery
. The unlimited ammo version is earned in the
Sacred Area B
sidequest. I just use the unlimited ammo flamethrower (earned for
giving the gravekeeper all 7 bones
) on them all the time though, it takes awhile to kill them but it makes it really easy not to get hit and it reloads fast.

I have the flame thrower from that side quest. Its just not in my inventory. What sucks is I had just put it away because I never used it. Then figures the enemies it would work on well, it doesn't lol. Hmmm I need to find this shotgun damnit.

m_tc008.jpg

Wyatt, uh?

NaomiWatts.jpg

Zoso

Wow at the end of Episode 2 Part 1. That was awesome. I'm actually really digging the story. It's more engaging than I thought it would be.

And I finally got the radio off of George. It's such a great item. A lot all the sidequests have really awesome rewards.

coughlanio

Just preordered the Asian version of this game for PS3, which according to Destructoid, has an english track. $80 to import, including postage to Ireland. Better be good :p

Top Bottom