• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fez's dev to japanese developers: "your games just suck"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

Burning bridges rofl

it's like this guy has never had to deal with people outside of a messageboard or chatroom. Have some fucking tact.

Fez looks neat but this statement is ignorant and insulting. I would like to hear what his "string of criticisms" were though.

GDGF

Soothsayer
this is not entirely unsurprising. from speaking with him at length at PAX last year, he seemed a little...arrogant is the wrong word...aloof maybe? there was a quality to him that seemed like at any time he was only half-paying attention to what he was saying/listening and not entirely cognizant of the effect his words might have. he didn't say anything rude or disrespectful like in the OP, but i can't say this is 100% left field from my experience with him.

Aspergers.

Or maybe he's just a douche.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Mm... well, Japan's games really kinda have sucked for the last several years now... with a few exceptions. (Fortunately, they're starting to recover.)

But yeah, that's just a tad bit the fuck out of line.

news2.1.jpg

atomsk

Party Pooper
This honestly makes me not want to buy Fez

Every region is putting out good games if you know where to look.

Maybe you don't *like* Japanese games, or Russian games, or Finnish games, but to outright condemn entire development communities just rubs me the wrong way.

Well dude sounds pretty bad. Sounds like an arrogant dick really. I mean if you want to have that opinion fine, but surly you could voice it in a more respectable manner. Wasn't going to buy his game, but now I for sure won't.

And I can see this thread going places.

I'm also mad that some cheered. I don't know man, I don't know if I like where this video game thing is going.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Talked to a few people who've met Fish. Can't say their opinions of the guy were all that favourable. As for me, release your damn game and let me see how it plays, then we'll see if I think your poorly articulated opinion is worth a shit.

Yuterald

God damn, I fucking hate the Indie scene so much sometimes. Just keep making your gimmicky flash game platformers and leave the real games to people who have actual talent.

eznark

Banned
I like indie games, but holy fuck if indie game developers aren't usually the most undeservingly pompous pricks in any given room.

bjork

Attempt at being Itagaki: unsuccessful.

Not that my $5-10 would matter anyway, but I think I'll skip his game now.

MRORANGE

wait is Fez really not getting a PC port? Because when I played it at PAX last year it crashed to desktop.

game has been running on pc since day 1, he just feels like your supposed to be play the game on your tv with a control pad and a couch, too bad pc's can't do this :|

Kyoufu

Talked to a few people who've met Fish. Can't say their opinions of the guy were all that favourable. As for me, release your damn game and let me see how it plays, then we'll see if I think your poorly articulated opinion is worth a shit.

I don't see what his game has to do with anything. He could make the best game ever and his statement would still be wrong.

Phil Fish, creator of zero published games, broadly tells entire country of designers they don't know what they're doing.

Yeah it's not like this forum doesn't exist so that groups of people with zero published games who tell designers and publishers that they don't' know what they are doing on a regular basis.

LiK

kinda curious who the Japanese developer was. no one followed up?

and i assume many people game journos/devs didn't mention this on Twitter simply because they're cool with Fish.

Sentenza

Isn't this the same idiot who said that Fez can't be a PC game because it needs a controller and a comfy couch?
yeah, for those who missed it, that was the statement:

“Fez is a console game, not a PC game,” he states, emphatically. “It’s made to be played with a controller, on a couch, on a Saturday morning. To me, that matters; that’s part of the medium.” I get so many comments shouting at me that I’m an idiot for not making a PC version. ‘You’d make so much more money! Can’t you see? Meatboy sold more on Steam!’ Good for them. But this matters more to me than sales or revenue. It’s a console game on a console. End of story.”

I thought it was a stupid and arrogant thing to say, but this last exploit with the Japanese guy is worse by far.

frequency

I don't know why this bothers me so much.

It's just a dumb comment by a guy I don't know making a game I don't care about.

But my feelings are hurt. :(

Mrbob

I like indie games, but holy fuck if indie game developers aren't usually the most undeservingly pompous pricks in any given room.

The douchery here is a step above normal. Fez isn't even out yet and Fish is talking some serious smack.

Wow. People are just making it easier for me to not buy their games. I was interested in Fez but I think I'll be passing because of these comments. What ever happened to mutual respect amongst people in the industry?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I don't see what his game has to do with anything. He could make the best game ever and his statement would still be wrong.

Because if his genius game blows me away with creative, polished and inventive design then I can maybe let his badly worded and largely inaccurate statement slide, knowing was coming from an honest and somewhat appreciable place.

Oh who am I kidding :lol.

redlemon

Shockingly poor form. Everyone's entitled to their opinions but there's a time and a place. The time isn't before your realeasing your own game and the place certainly isn't in front of some poor Japanese dev's face a GDC.

EDIT:
kinda curious who the Japanese developer was. no one followed up?

and i assume many people game journos/devs didn't mention this on Twitter simply because they're cool with Fish.

I'd be interested in knowing this as well.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
It sounds like he got a little drunk on audience reaction up to that point, maybe he felt a bit invincible.

Anyway, rude remarks.

Volcynika

He's always come off as a bit of an asshole from the little I know about him, but yeah that's pretty much over the line. Pretty close-minded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom