• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft revises Watch Dog's PC specs (even more demanding ones, 6GB RAM minimum)

Durante

Steam suggests that 75% of windows gamers are running 64bit OSs. Most of those who aren't are playing on PCs that would never run this game, even if it was a 32bit application. Seems like the right time to ditch 32bit.
I feel the right time was 2 years ago (at least for this type of very demanding title). But we can agree that it's a good thing that it is finally happening.

Also, as someone else pointed out to me recently, every single CPU supported by this game is 64 bit anyway.

With this and RAM prices continually creeping up.. Glad I went ahead and got 16GB of RAM 2 years ago when it was so cheap.
Yeah, I was considering an upgrade to 24 GB (from 12) when it was so cheap, should have done it. I just couldn't see a point back then.

I want to play this on pc, but I don't have a good enough one. Can one of you guys spec me one of those $500 gaming pcs I hear so much about. I'm probably gonna need an OS so don't forget to include that in the price~! :D
I can't wait join the master race!
Get a job or get a console~! :D

Think I'll be getting PS4 versions of multiplats and waiting for the next-gen dust to settle before building a monster gaming PC now.

yep yep. that's me. I'm planning a PC build for the end of next year and will be enjoying multiplats on PS4 in the meantime.

Seems about right, I got my current mid-range PC almost 2 years ago and I beat the recommended specs. Better than I expected for a next-gen game.
Yeah, all of the people going crazy over specs must have old or low end machines.
Welp time to get the PS3 version then
The feel of 480p 15fps.
So the fall of PC gaming begins.

Oh no my once better than recommended is now recommended specs! What am I to do?
UPGRADE!

c0de

Funny thing is this will probably be the norm in a year or so for pc gamers

exactly. for years pc gamers were moaning how current-gen games under-utilize their poweful gaming machines, now watch dogs has requirements for rigs like this and again complaints...

Ce-Lin

I have a Q6600 so I guess I'm fucked.

don't get depressed by comments here, overclock the old champion to 3400/3600 (easily doable on G0 revisions) and enable adaptive vsync on the GPU to 30 fps, a friend got one of those for 12 bucks used and just plays 1080p/30fps with a cheap GPU I believe it was a 560. Anything cheaper for 30 fps gaming ? Don't think at that low framerate you need 8 cores and a 7XX card, as long as you have 8 GB of RAM.

Durante

Holy shit, Ubi. Why so heavy on the CPU?
It's not really all that heavy. E.g. a 3 GHz quad core Phenom is somewhat more powerful than the 8 core 1.6 GHz Jaguar in the consoles, but not excessively so.

exactly. for years pc gamers were moaning how current-gen games under-utilize their poweful gaming machines, now watch dogs has requirements for rigs like this and again complaints...
Different people. Real 90s PC gamers are used to this happening every 2 years, not every 7.

Banned
Looks like hyperthreading will be beneficial this gen. Glad I got the 3770k. Bring it on Ubisoft!

Doffen

This is why I use consoles. High-end PC gaming is without a doubt in a league of it's own, but I have no time for keeping track of specs.

Geoff9920

I'm glad the game is going 64bit only, and it's about damn time a game is using 8GB of RAM, but I'll be waiting to see what the optimization on this one is like before buying.

nubbe

Why are people complaining when developers are finally utilizing technology that are decades old?

games that use more than 2GB RAM and 2 cores will make me cum

lol first time I won't meet minimum specs in 7 years.

So I guess we're not getting the PS3, XBOX360, WIIU version.

I'm just wondering, if the PC version needs 6GB memory, what sorry-arse state the PS3/360/Wii U versions are going to be in on 512mb/1GB memory systems.

Also, this is a small but not insignificant justification on why it's right to get a PS4/XB1 at launch window if you are primarily a console gamer. Increasingly the big titles on current gen are going to compromised.

I have to admit the idea of playing a cross-gen game such as this on current gen fills me with depression. But fair enough if that's your only choice.

SparkTR

This is why I use consoles. High-end PC gaming is without a doubt in a league of it's own, but I have no time for keeping track of specs.

Eh, it's the first time in 6 years a game has pushed anything significant, and even now it's kind of mild.

kazebyaka

Banned
Erm, you don't have three seconds a year to check the specs?
Also, just buy latest hardware and it will be enough to run any game more or less smoothly (30-60fps on max) for 3-5 years.

Hrothgar

hahahha claiming poor optimization when it's not even out, we're pc gamers we expect our games to look twice as good as yours but still run flawlessly on a q6600, gtx570, when they don't it's obviously laziness on the dev side apparently

Not necessarily, I can't remember anyone complaining about poor optimization when Crysis was released and needed 8800 GTX to be maxed out. But in return you got to enjoy the cutting edge.

But that was then and this is Ubisoft, so some skepticism is in order.

CSX

It's not really all that heavy. E.g. a 3 GHz quad core Phenom is somewhat more powerful than the 8 core 1.6 GHz Jaguar in the consoles, but not excessively so.

True but it's quire dishearting when the CPU they used in the example costs 600 bucks :p

Massa

hahahha claiming poor optimization when it's not even out

Prepare to see that a lot over the next couple years as people act shocked when ports of PS4/X1 games have much higher requirements than ports of 360/PS3 games.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Different people. Real 90s PC gamers are used to this happening every 2 years, not every 7.

Too fucking true. 2 pentium machines, 2 pentium 2 machines, and k3 amd based machines. Compared to that era you mentioned I will gladly take the style of upgrades we do now especially since I can transplant more parts.

My 1080p steambox meets the recommended and my "beast" meets/exceed the ultra specs. Just pony up Ubi and don't fuck it up.

So, that pretty much implies the 'minimum' here is the tripple memstick / i7 setup?
Hmm.
Not that anyone in the right mind should have anything less than 8GB in a gaming rig at this point though. (like I do :( )

edit: oh, and this will have Uplay as well?

kswiston

Having gone through that era, It's sort of crazy that I have been able to get generally high settings (at 60FPS in 1080P) in 2013 titles on the PC that I built just before Dragon Age Origins came out, other than an upgrade to a GTX 560. Even moreso when you consider that my PC was only $700 when I built it. In the late 90s, you had to drop $1000 to build something that barely met minimum specs for more than a year.

Zeth

I hope it blows the next gen versions away in comparison. If it's even a slightly better port than the Assassin's Creed games, I'll be happy.

edit: it is somewhat surprising that my rather new 3570k at 4.2GHz will perform worse than an 3770k. Is this coded for 8 threads?

Looks like its finally time to retire my Q6600, had a hell of a run with that CPU.

Probably build a new pc sometime next year.

Those specs seem very reasonable, except maybe the i7 for recommended. GPU requirements probably aren't all that high either if you're not resolution obsessed.

Not sure why anyone half way serious about gaming on a PC would have 5 or 6 year old processor.

Cimarron

I beat these specs easily accept the graphics card. I now regret getting a 1.5 gb 550ti last year. :[ My i7-3930k should be more than up to the task but DAMN!! I don't see why it's so high. Max Payne did not need its high specs I fail to see why this needs them either. :-/

LiK

meh, gonna get this for PS4 then. I don't need that heavy load on my current PC. by the time i upgrade my PC, the game will be dirt cheap anyway.

looks like wii u version for me then, well it was going to be anyway but nice to know my few months old computer doesn't stand a chance

KKRT00

Looks like its finally time to retire my Q6600, had a hell of a run with that CPU.

Probably build a new pc sometime next year.

Just start saving money, because Haswell-E will be released in Q2 2014 and will bring Haswell CPUs in 6 and 8 cores configurations :)

I'm definitely buying 8 cores/16 threads CPU, not only it will be glorious, but i wont have to change it for next 7 years.
The only 'scary' part with buying as 'future proof' is that with Volta GPUs there can be change in motherboard construction direction. Its not certain, but there is possibility.

Durante

Having gone through that era, It's sort of crazy that I have been able to get generally high settings (at 60FPS in 1080P) in 2013 titles on the PC that I built just before Dragon Age Origins came out, other than an upgrade to a GTX 560. Even moreso when you consider that my PC was only $700 when I built it. In the late 90s, you had to drop $1000 to build something that barely met minimum specs for more than a year.
Yeah, I lived that (and having less disposable income than I do now). It makes these "issues" seem somewhat comical in comparison.

Not sure why anyone half way serious about gaming on a PC would have 5 or 6 year old processor.
I have a 5 year old processor (i7 920 @ 3.8 Ghz) because nothing so far would have benefited from more than that, and because Intel's performance progress on the desktop has slowed to a crawl since the core i7 series. Seriously, I blame Intel. Or physics.

Why are people complaining when developers are finally utilizing technology that are decades old?

games that use more than 2GB RAM and 2 cores will make me cum
I feel like there are more people complaining about people complaining in this thread than people complaining, TBH.

Just start saving money, because Haswell-E will be released in Q2 2014 and will bring Haswell CPUs in 6 and 8 cores configurations :)

I'm definitely buying 8 cores/16 threads CPU, not only it will be glorious, but i wont have to change it for next 7 years.
I'm also planning for a Haswell-E build, and I have the vague fear that I might never have to change it.

Top Bottom