• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT2| I'd Rather Watch The EUROS Than Play

KanameYuuki

So I don't understand at all how does the ten hour weekly limit work on drops, I'm currently farming for a painted item, I had no idea that limit even exist, I just came back after not playing for like 2 months. When does it reset or is someone here who could explain it to me?

TheKeyPit

Banned
I played Ranked Standard with two friends for ~3 hours. I'm still Challenger 3 Division 4. Going up and down the whole time. This is such bullshit. Especially losing against opponents where all 3 teammates always occupy the same god damn space + they win most 50/50s. We stopped playing just now, because this wasn't fun anymore.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I'm stuck in challenger 2 for 2v2, Its unbelievable to me how bad some ofy teammates are. This rank system makes no sense.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
I'm stuck in challenger 2 for 2v2, Its unbelievable to me how bad some ofy teammates are. This rank system makes no sense.

Think of it as less of a 2v2 and more of a 1v1v2. You simply can't trust them to not screw you over or actually do anything useful, so don't count on them for anything.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Think of it as less of a 2v2 and more of a 1v1v2. You simply can't trust them to not screw you over or actually do anything useful, so don't count on them for anything.

I'm trying to work it in a way that I can do everything based on the garbage they do, play to their bizarre broken style.

TheKeyPit

Banned
I finally got a certified topper which I'm willing to put on my car. It's the Halo and it tracks clears. Nice.

Edit: I wish that the ranking system would be a little bit more fair. My ping went crazy during one match and a friend and I lost, because it was unplayable for me most of the time and he had to play alone. He then moved one division down. The game should take more things into account to determine if someone should drop or go up a division.

The system obviously needs work but there is only so much you can do as people will always abuse any loopholes. If they make scoring part of MMR people will ball chase even more than they already do. If they factor in lag / disconnects people will pull plug on their connection... which is what they would also do if there was no penalty for quitting.

One thing that needs to be done is really up the punishment on quitters. The game needs to be able to detect when someone goes into the menu and selects quit. And first person that does that should absorb the full MMR loss for the team in event of a loss and gain nothing in less likely event of shorthanded win. This would give the shorthanded team incentive to keep playing and the satisfaction of knowing if they lose the asshole who quit feels the pain.

The ability to forfeit needs to have criteria based on score differential and time left in the match. Any simple formula that doesn't let people vote to forfeit only down a goal or two with lots of time left in the game. I can't think of anyone who would be opposed to this outside of chronic forfeitters, and fuck those guys.

One thing they *could* do to improve quality of random teammates is to have everyone have to pass required training to be sure they possess a certain level of mechanical skill and understanding of the fundamentals of the game. Similar to what they already have, but with rotation / positioning / centering / clearing drills added in. You aren't allowed to play ranked until you score a high enough % in the training. Or maybe even have the training in place of placement games, where say say 50% gets you placed in prospect , 70% in gold and 90% for blues.

TheKeyPit

Banned
FU to the guy in Ranked Duel who kept scoring while I had a ping of 998. Sportsmanship, never heard of it. At least I beat him in the previous match with 5:1.

^^^ nope. all that matters is wins and losses.

-----

I just spent a little time looking at top players MMR for different playlists, number of games played, etc. on rocketleague tracker and it was really interesting. Your average pro -- say 1100 and up -- plays predominantly 2's, has surprisingly low MMR in unranked (likely due to not playing much of it) and completely steer clear of solo 3's.

There are exceptions of course, but it's interesting how us average joe's spend so much time complaining about our random teammates when the best players in the game simply avoid doing so. Gods not withstanding, I think a lot of pros would have similar struggles if they were forced to play with randoms all the time, especially in solo 3's where they can't rank up with a teammate first to get out of challenger hell.

You really are asking for nothing but trouble playing with randoms. So my mid year resolution is to stop complaining about them and make an effort to find reliable teammates to play with, focus more on 2's, and avoid solo 3's like the plague it is =D

J. Bravo

^^^ nope. all that matters is wins and losses.

-----

I just spent a little time looking at top players MMR for different playlists, number of games played, etc. on rocketleague tracker and it was really interesting. Your average pro -- say 1100 and up -- plays predominantly 2's, has surprisingly low MMR in unranked (likely due to not playing much of it) and completely steer clear of solo 3's.

There are exceptions of course, but it's interesting how us average joe's spend so much time complaining about our random teammates when the best players in the game simply avoid doing so. Gods not withstanding, I think a lot of pros would have similar struggles if they were forced to play with randoms all the time, especially in solo 3's where they can't rank up with a teammate first to get out of challenger hell.

You really are asking for nothing but trouble playing with randoms. So my mid year resolution is to stop complaining about them and make an effort to find reliable teammates to play with, focus more on 2's, and avoid solo 3's like the plague it is =D
any grand champ worht his salt will 1v3 solo 3s until like shooting star lol.

That's an exaggeration... and FYI there are no Grand Champs in solo 3's yet this far into the season. Highest is Paschy at 1252 (Champion Div 2).

TheKeyPit

Banned
Most people dislike Neo Tokyo, because it has these unpredictable bounces.

-----------

The game recently pissed me off really hard in Ranked Doubles. I think I need to take a break from that mode for a while.

Hasney

I like the design of Neo Tokyo, hate the map. Those bounces are terrible.

Wish it was the circular map instead. That's at least different to the point of being different. Neo Tokyo just has annoying high sides.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
no 1 i play against likes neo tokyo, bloody get rid of it from the competitive solo

I've hated it before it even transformed into "Neo Tokyo" the whole ramp making you jump even if you baby the accelerator is bullshit. Throw in the weird ball-play and it just isn't fun in Rocket Labs OR the "Tokyo" theme. It's no wonder nobody wants it in Competitive: It's not fun to play and it isn't a "competitive" map.

At least in Casual, you can quickly leave if it comes up. In Competitive you're forced into it. Blech.

Hasney

PSY・S;212104422 said:
People should keep complaining about Neo Tokyo instead of trying to get better. More wins for me :p

I've lost like twice on it since I just learned to be conservative. I still don't like it.

J. Bravo

That's an exaggeration... and FYI there are no Grand Champs in solo 3's yet this far into the season. Highest is Paschy at 1252 (Champion Div 2).
I meant grand champs from last season. And yes exaggerating. But that's cause even in challenger elite I have good teammates a majority of the time. It's just a matter of learning their play style very quickly. In lower challenger, which I'm in on ps4, yeah it's hard. But a pro, or even an average season 2 grand champ can hit shots that will make challenger teams ff in 1:30

Unicorn

Neo Tokyo is great and I'm awful at it AND I hated the old version in Rocket Labs with a passion. The fact they made it into something I enjoy playing is a feat!

Pepiope

But he's kind of right. I can carry a horrible team to the point where I'd eventually get competent teammates because we're all high level. It's just most high level players rather party up with other high level players instead of playing with randoms all the time. It's not fun carrying a team and beating up on lower level players.

I meant grand champs from last season. And yes exaggerating. But that's cause even in challenger elite I have good teammates a majority of the time. It's just a matter of learning their play style very quickly. In lower challenger, which I'm in on ps4, yeah it's hard. But a pro, or even an average season 2 grand champ can hit shots that will make challenger teams ff in 1:30

I get what you are saying -- really great players can obviously carry games -- but my original post was more about regular joes, or specifically really good players who deserve to be in blues but can't get out of gold due to consistently crappy random teammates. Not gods but above average and certainly not completely clueless / useless.
Players who when paired with others of the same skill win most of their games easily, but when paired with 1-2 morons the game becomes a struggle.

These type of players could easily be blues if they teamed up with competent players of similar skill, but a lot of them don't (we all have our reasons) and moan about how bad randoms are... which really is like moaning about how much taxes suck. Of course they do. So while I agree great players can slog through solo 3's and get to games with better teammates, it's a helluva lot easier and more enjoyable to find people to play with. You don't need to be a pro or god to get to the blues, you just need to be really good and not be constantly paired with awful teammates.

But he's kind of right. I can carry a horrible team to the point where I'd eventually get competent teammates because we're all high level. It's just most high level players rather party up with other high level players instead of playing with randoms all the time. It's not fun carrying a team and beating up on lower level players.

Yup. It's simply funner and easier to team up with other good players (duh, right?) and I think a big part of being a pro / upper level player is finding other good people to play with. And if you don't do this (again, we all have our reasons) you are likely not going to enjoy the game as much as you could, and in turn never fully play up to your potential. It's a team game and you need good teammates to get better as much as you need good competition and putting hours into practicing.

Pepiope

Yup. It's simply funner and easier to team up with other good players (duh, right?) and I think a big part of being a pro / upper level player is finding other good people to play with. And if you don't do this (again, we all have our reasons) you are likely not going to enjoy the game as much as you could, and in turn never fully play up to your potential. It's a team game and you need good teammates to get better as much as you need good competition and putting hours into practicing.
I'd agree with that. For me specifically, solo 3s was the first thing I got gold in back in season 1. I wouldn't say you need to play with other good players to improve, but it definitely accelerates your growth.

Though you're talking about average players and not GCs anyway so we're speaking from different perspectives.

Salsa

remember long ago when I bitched about wanting to rename replays so we could find the ones we really wanted

gVojQ7A.gif

^^^^ i was so excited for this feature but I got so lazy and most of my replays are named:

ggggggg
hhhh
ggg
cccc

just a random character repeated for however long I feel like it. super useful for remembering why i saved them!

TheKeyPit

Banned
I just saved a replay to analyse it later on and then I wanted to give it a name, but they still haven't fixed the laggy virtual keyboard in this game on Xbox One, so I just left it blank. It's fine in every other game, but not in Rocket League.

Edit:
Any reason for PS4 and PC still using the PSYNET profile pic?

This looks nicer:
screenshot160k3umd.png

Unicorn

remember long ago when I bitched about wanting to rename replays so we could find the ones we really wanted

gVojQ7A.gif

gotta make use of the mark that is added to replays.

I don't know why I save replays because I don't make .gifs of them - I don't even know how.

Also, they need to incorporate post-game screen with the taunting winning team. Don't like the double end-screen and even longer wait times because of it. Start time when fuckers throwing their white portal jizz at me and also show scoreboard on the side or under it while we shit talk and the timer ticks down.

Been practicing my wall play a lot recently since it was the biggest deficiency in my play for the longest time. Also took the time to force myself to like Masamune while I'm at it and I'm pretty happy with the results.

https://gfycat.com/UnkemptOpenDog

By the way if anyone knows how to embed gfycat instead would be awesome. I can never get the embed code working here.

Unicorn

These are actually nice little vignettes on the players. Are there not many local LAN tournaments? Maybe after this there will be when teams feel like the pressure affected their placement.

Been practicing my wall play a lot recently since it was the biggest deficiency in my play for the longest time. Also took the time to force myself to like Masamune while I'm at it and I'm pretty happy with the results.

https://gfycat.com/UnkemptOpenDog

By the way if anyone knows how to embed gfycat instead would be awesome. I can never get the embed code working here.

You need to link to the gif, not the mp4 video. Get the link (you probably want the smaller size) by clicking the gear button, and put it between the
tags:

UnkemptOpenDog-size_restricted.gif

These are actually nice little vignettes on the players. Are there not many local LAN tournaments? Maybe after this there will be when teams feel like the pressure affected their placement.
A lot of these teams have never even met until this live event. No doubt some will tilt.

Top Bottom