• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 DirectX11 Tessellation Pack/High Res Texture Pack [Update: released]

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
My steam is updating too yes yes yesssss.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Stallion Free said:
I'm so glad I got those other packs earlier so I don't have to wait for this.

You and me, brother.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Holy crap. MAAAAAJOR performance hits. Just stepped outside in the first chapter, which used to be buttery smooth. I'm running at like, 15 FPS now. Wow. I'm going to have to do some tweaking.

Blizzard

Banned
thetrin said:
Holy crap. MAAAAAJOR performance hits. Just stepped outside in the first chapter, which used to be buttery smooth. I'm running at like, 15 FPS now. Wow. I'm going to have to do some tweaking.
Did Crytek ever re-enable changing those settings they disabled in singleplayer because they were considered cheats in multiplayer? I thought some people were complaining that they had things tuned to look nice and clear, and then an update reverted it to be blurry.

Also, DX11 features tend to have major performance hits in my very limited experience. Hopefully you can find a balance that works on your machine.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
thetrin said:
As expected. The reason why I never had any issues with the DX9 only release in the first place. Better to enjoy the game looking and running great rather than enabling a few extra features and losing performance.

What detail settings are you using?

scitek

thetrin said:

Hehehehe. Hope I can pull off 30fps.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
dark10x said:
As expected. The reason why I never had any issues with the DX9 only release in the first place. Better to enjoy the game looking and running great rather than enabling a few extra features and losing performance.

What detail settings are you using?
The game had everything on Ultra by default, so I decided to roll with it and see what kind of performance I get. I ran everything on Ultra in Witcher 2 and had little problem with framerate (except the 10fps I lost due to SecuROM for the first week or so)

My rig, for reference:

AMD Phenom II X4 3.4ghz
8 GB DDR3 RAM
Radeon 6950 2GB

scitek

thetrin said:
The game had everything on Ultra by default, so I decided to roll with it and see what kind of performance I get. I ran everything on Ultra in Witcher 2 and had little problem with framerate (except the 10fps I lost due to SecuROM for the first week or so)

My rig, for reference:

AMD Phenom II X4 3.4ghz
8 GB DDR3 RAM
Radeon 6950 2GB

LOL oh shit, same here except you have double my RAM. Are your shaders unlocked, or is your card still stock?

dark10x

thetrin said:

My rig, for reference:

AMD Phenom II X4 3.4ghz
8 GB DDR3 RAM
Radeon 6950 2GB
Something tells me that, had Crytek had made the claim they were using DX11 from day 1 while simultaneously dropping performance if the user selected "DX11" people would not have complained under the assumption that it was demanding.

I've been playing Witcher 2, for instance, and while I definitely think it looks great, I'm not convinced it looks better than Crysis 2 overall.

Well crytek choosing for redemption finally (especially releasing the map tools this week).
Guess I can stop hating on them as much now (AI and netcode though, never forget!!)

Those reflections look pretty good.

@Thetrin try turning off the Bokeh dof? Might double your framerate.

edit: gtx 460 able to run on ultra and a 6950 choking? So the usual ati woes then :(
What's going on with amd / devs these days.

dark10x said:
Something tells me that, had Crytek had made the claim they were using DX11 from day 1 while simultaneously dropping performance if the user selected "DX11" people would not have complained under the assumption that it was demanding.

I've been playing Witcher 2, for instance, and while I definitely think it looks great, I'm not convinced it looks better than Crysis 2 overall.

Yeah, no...
The performance was the only positive note at release.
Having it run like crap would have just been insult to injury , people wouldn't suddenly stop noticing the low texture res, inferior motion blur , lack of physics and interactivity (static trees etc) etc etc.

vilmer_ said:
Definitely a noticeable difference. I don't think I'll be able to run on ultra with dx11 and high res textures enabled with this card.

Is this a true advanced graphics setting with the user having the ability to select individual settings or is it like the previous settings where its just 'ULTRA'?

bee

looks a LOT better imo, dunno if just looks smoother? the motion blur is better? using 1800mb vram on my cards, still getting 60-70fps 1080p all ultra on 560 2gb sli. the games still shit though unfortunately

thetrin

LovingSteam said:
Is this a true advanced graphics setting with the user having the ability to select individual settings or is it like the previous settings where its just 'ULTRA'?
Individual settings.

kitch9

Banned
Fuck me Cryteks fabled 1080p 24hz bug is back..... What the fuck are these morons doing, all their games are plagued by it.

Deadbeat

Banned
dark10x said:
Nah. The performance cost has to match the quality of the graphics. If this was said to be using dx11 on release and ran like complete shit, people would have still been calling crytek out if it added no real noticable benefit. Nice spin though.

thetrin

SneakyStephan said:
Well crytek choosing for redemption finally (especially releasing the map tools this week).
Guess I can stop hating on them as much now (AI and netcode though, never forget!!)

Those reflections look pretty good.

@Thetrin try turning off the Bokeh dof? Might double your framerate.

edit: gtx 460 able to run on ultra and a 6950 choking? So the usual ati woes then :(
What's going on with amd / devs these days.

Yeah, no...
Having it run like crap would have just been insult to injury , people wouldn't suddenly stop noticing the low texture res, inferior motion blur , lack of physics and interactivity (static trees etc) etc etc.

It's not CHOKING, but it's also not running as buttery smooth as it was in DX9. I can still play, but it's nowhere as tight and well optimized as the DX9 initial release.

That said, turning off bokeh is going to break my heart, but it's not such a huge deal. I like the bokeh in Witcher 2 quite a bit (its use in fist fights was amazing)

dark10x

Yeah, no...
Still thought it was the best looking PC game available (better than Witcher 2, Crysis 1, and Metro 2033 IMO).

Fuck me Cryteks fabled 1080p 24hz bug is back..... What the fuck are these morons doing, all their games are plagued by it.
nVidia card? If using an AMD card, enable GPU scaling and you'll be fine. nVidia cards really don't have a work around for it.

thetrin said:
It's not CHOKING, but it's also not running as buttery smooth as it was in DX9. I can still play, but it's nowhere as tight and well optimized as the DX9 initial release.

That said, turning off bokeh is going to break my heart, but it's not such a huge deal. I like the bokeh in Witcher 2 quite a bit (its use in fist fights was amazing)

I'd call drops to 15 fps choking, here's hoping for a driver update for ATI cards.

edit: just read eatchildren's post, nvm then I guess:p

thetrin

Also, I'm getting considerable stutter during prerendered cutscenes. I'm not sure what the fuck is up with that.

scitek said:
LOL oh shit, same here except you have double my RAM. Are your shaders unlocked, or is your card still stock?
My card is still stock. I've been meaning to unlock the shaders, but I had some weird issues with the BIOS flashing exe freezing on me at random times.

EatChildren

GTX570 here and the framerate is fucked on ultra. Skips between 40 - 60 to sub 20 depending on what you're looking at.

thetrin

EatChildren said:
GTX570 here and the framerate is fucked on ultra. Skips between 40 - 60 to sub 20 depending on what you're looking at.
This is essentially the problem I'm having. Depending on what I'm looking at and where I am, it's either business as usual, or giant molasses festival.

kitch9

Banned
dark10x said:
Still thought it was the best looking PC game available (better than Witcher 2, Crysis 1, and Metro 2033 IMO).

nVidia card? If using an AMD card, enable GPU scaling and you'll be fine. nVidia cards really don't have a work around for it.
yup Nvidia. Games unplayable for me then.

gunbo13

This is all very interesting. I can only picture that Crytek saw the performance hit early in dev and backed out to avoid the "unoptimized" stigma of old. Now they bring out the demanding version quite a ways after release to avoid the storm. It also is optional and the DX9 version is still near the top of the market. I think this seems more likely then the consoles crippling the PC version (aside from physics/scope). Quite clever if I'm not reaching to far.

I'm going to wait on AI mods and then take the plunge. Crysis 1 is one of my favorite FPS titles ever. But honestly, waiting around for the mods made the first play-through that much more awesome. Patience...

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Dat tesselation. Also, it may be placebo but that shit on the taxis is crystal clear now.

Also LOL this game's lighting still shits on every other game in existence, hardcore.

thetrin

Kabuki Waq said:
does this get auto updated to 1.9 when i run crysis2 (retail version)?
I don't think it does, but you can just download the patch linked a few posts back.

Did the patch and dx11 mode do anything for the AA/IQ? and ghosting? or is it still fuzzy?

Is there a 1080p version of that official dx11 vid (why on earth did they upload it in 360p it's too low res to see anything).

Awaiting screenshots/fraps videos in this thread.

mxgt

Banned
Before DX11 and high res textures I'd get 60 fps on ultra at 1080p

After it was all over the place between 20-60. Then I turned off vsync and I get 45-65 in a whole range of situations and areas.

i52500k 4.4ghz and a GTX 570. It's very playable and of course looks fantastic.

EatChildren

Alt tabbed out than back in. Exact same thing I was looking at causing ~20fps now gives me 40+.

wat

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Wtf, really? The game is suddenly "broken"? The motionblur is veeery wierd now, everything is shaking and trembling and my gun looks like it's surrounded by a wierd aura...

Forever alone?

Top Bottom