• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clash Royale |OT| Should I keep playing when I’m full on chests?

JoeNut

It finally happened, lads.

Yesterday I was granted my first Legendary chest for a win. To date the only Legendary I've pulled was from the chest I spent 500 gems on. Never gotten one as a drop.

That first Legendary was Sparky, who was in my top 3 DO NOT WANT. Bummer.

Today I was hoping to receive an E Wiz, Log, Miner, something versatile.

I got a Lavahound.

Now, this is a great tank, a strong card, I can't complain. It's better than fucking Sparky.

Deck building advice for Arena 8? I have a LV4 Balloon but I kinda want to play something else.

It's not just risk-free chests, it's risk-free learning.

2v2 let's you expirment to your heart's content without risking rank. This is great for weaker players who can learn from better players, observe card synergies and counters, etc.

Hey congrats, LH is awesome if you use it properly, but it can also be a very easy loss if you rush with it. The basic premise imo is to be patient, and wait for double elixir for when you can really make some big damage

The slow release of cards is really starting to annoy me. I figured bats would be released this Friday. Nope two weeks from this Friday. There is no excuse for releasing bats 6 weeks after night witch when they are a part of night witch. It'll be 6 months in 2017 and only 4 new cards will have been released. In 2016 they averaged a new card every 2 weeks.

Doesn't bother me the slightest. I don't want to go back to a time where a lot of new cards felt like a P2W scheme for SC.
- Miner used to be a better Knight
- Lumberjack used to be a better Mini Pekka
- Executioner used to be a better Wizard
- EWiz used to be a better IWiz. Probably still is, but not as much anymore.

The worst experience I've had with the game was probably when Miner was stupidly OP. Not only was it an absurdly strong card, you couldn't really predict where it goes (shorter deploy time), and Legendaries were really difficult to get.

Ice Wiz used to be insane because it was one of the first Legendary cards, so it was difficult to get. You couldn't request as many commons/rares back then, so he was extremely strong on his own. He could solo Barbs, oneshot Skellies, 2 shot gobs and 3 shot Minions very consistently.

xJavonta

Banned
Is this game ranked at all? I keep getting bodied by people with insane cards and I JUST started. Only played three matches and I've lost all three.

At this rate, the game isn't worth playing

Edit: yeah, this is clearly not ranked in any way. What the fuck

Is this game ranked at all? I keep getting bodied by people with insane cards and I JUST started. Only played three matches and I've lost all three.

At this rate, the game isn't worth playing

Edit: yeah, this is clearly not ranked in any way. What the fuck

Yes it is...? Matchmaking is based on trophies, partially your highest (IIRC). I'm guessing there are more experienced players deranking just for lulz, or people with smurf accounts.

xJavonta

Banned
Yes it is...? Matchmaking is based on trophies, partially your highest (IIRC). I'm guessing there are more experienced players deranking just for lulz, or people with smurf accounts.
Yeah that would make sense.

Or maybe I just suck. That's probably what it is tbh

I haven't spent any actual cash on this game in 6 months.

Today, Night Witch showed up in the shop and I'm short the gold to buy her (about $3 worth). Do I do it?

Of the Legendaries I don't have, the Miner is the one I want the most. And I'm also 3/4 of the way to a Lvl 3 Graveyard (but there I'll need the gold to both buy the card *and* upgrade, so double-whammy).

I'm inclined to be patient and skip.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

Today, Night Witch showed up in the shop and I'm short the gold to buy her (about $3 worth). Do I do it?

Of the Legendaries I don't have, the Miner is the one I want the most. And I'm also 3/4 of the way to a Lvl 3 Graveyard (but there I'll need the gold to both buy the card *and* upgrade, so double-whammy).

NW is one of the best legendary cards, even nerfed. However, it's not OP, and it doesn't really create a new way to play like a miner would. That said, I would buy it because it's just $3.

JoeNut

Miner is crap IMO - NW is superior

HotHamBoy

Here's what I use:

But since you don't have Inferno Dragon, you'll need something else to function as a tank-destroyer. One of these might work:

Mega Minion
Inferno Tower
Three Musketeers

I suggest those since they're difficult to kill and also because they're anti-air. The former and the latter can also be used to start a counter-push if they survive.

Keep in mind that an actual lavaloon combo isn't always the best thing to do. Sometimes it's best to use the Lavahound as just a distraction on one side while sending the balloon + support to the other side. Don't put the Lavahound down unless you have one of the 3-elixir cards ready to go as soon as you play it.

Use the Tornado to activate your King tower as soon as you can. Once that's done, you can use Tornado to drag units to the very center so that all 3 towers can tear them apart, and the Tombstone can keep enemies there longer. Also be sure to use Tornado to weaken/kill and slowdown any small units as they make their way towards your tower. It's functionally better than using Zap or Log from my experience. Tornado can also be used to move a dangerous enemy unit to the side you're not attacking. Finally, Tornado can gather up a horde of enemies to a single spot so that they can be taken care of by Witch/Balloon explosion/Fireball/Lavahound Pups. It takes a lot of practice to get used to using Tornado (even I still make mistakes with it sometimes), but it's seriously worth learning.

Yeah, Tornado is really versatile, but what's this about using it to activate king tower?

Brakke

Banned
HotHam just joined our clan even tho he's below our trophy threshold, presumably just by clicking that link I posted.

I dunno if anyone had to approve him? In our clan feed it just says "HotHam joined the clan." without the usual "HotHam accepted by X" message. Not sure how long that link is live, but our clan is full right now.

Alur

If anyone is playing Brawl Stars and needs a clan, GAF Royale has one in game. Search for GAF and put your name in the request.

I made it as a placeholder for when the game releases and we inevitably need more than one clan. Most of our GAF Royale members are holding off to try it til then. In the meantime, there are still 5 slots left in the NeoGAF Brawl Stars clan as well so should probably fill that first.

HotHamBoy

You guys, I fucking suck at this game.

I got desperate for wins and switched back to my Sparky deck.

If anyone is playing Brawl Stars and needs a clan, GAF Royale has one in game. Search for GAF and put your name in the request.

I made it as a placeholder for when the game releases and we inevitably need more than one clan. Most of our GAF Royale members are holding off to try it til then. In the meantime, there are still 5 slots left in the NeoGAF Brawl Stars clan as well so should probably fill that first.

Canada only for now :(

Alur

Only Canadian iOS/iTunes at the moment unfortunately. Takes about 10 mins total to get it all set up and swapped back to your main iTunes account if you do have an iOS device though and want to play it.

I've been enjoying the hell out of it. Myself and TacticalFailure played for a while earlier. The grouping feature is great. We duo'd into the 3v3 modes and went like 10-2 overall as Jessie/Nita and El Primo/Nita. Was pretty awesome.

cuilan

i really think my game would improve if i could learn this, i get it right like 3/10 tries

The best tip I can give you is to use either the drag & drop or touch & hold method. Pay attention to where its area of effect is going to be before actually casting it. The edge of the tornado should just barely touch the unit you're trying to move. Any further and the center of the vortex will be too far from your king tower. The center should be the upper corner of your king tower, it will fail if placed too far away.

The best tip I can give you is to use either the drag & drop or touch & hold method. Pay attention to where its area of effect is going to be before actually casting it. The edge of the tornado should just barely touch the unit you're trying to move. Any further and the center of the vortex will be too far from your king tower. The center should be the upper corner of your king tower, it will fail if placed too far away.
And it's better to wait for an extra hit to get it right while you're learning than to miss.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I really want to use the tornado but I swapped it out for my IT in my

GB
GG
PRINCESS
LOG
ICE SPIRIT
KNIGHT
ROCKET

deck and I just couldn't handle Golem decks and tank decks in general. Do you guys think this won't work or is it user error?

b33r

That is a spell bait deck, inferno tower is usually essential for tanks in those decks. I think it will take you farther than tornado will in that particular deck.

Finally got a miner. Been wanting one since forever.

I want to use Miner/Graveyard, and ideas about the rest of the deck?

Currently
Miner
Graveyard (2)
Wizard (8)
Valkyrie (8)
Arrows (10)
Gob Gang (11)
Min Horde (11)
Sparky (2)

Previously I had a giant where the miner is.

And unlike most people, I really like Sparky.

I don't think miner gy is a particularily strong deck. With other tanks you can start behind the Kings Tower and let elex accumulate. Miner gy means you start the gy, send the miner and are down 8 elex. Any unit that is dropped onto the miner also tanks vs the skeles etc. Strongest gy deck is probably still splashyard. There are also some giant gy decks that work.

Bowler, baby drake for splash with tornado. Poison to drop on the tower. Knight, skeles and elec wiz to round it off. It's a good deck.

Finally got a miner. Been wanting one since forever.

I want to use Miner/Graveyard, and ideas about the rest of the deck?

Currently
Miner
Graveyard (2)
Wizard (8)
Valkyrie (8)
Arrows (10)
Gob Gang (11)
Min Horde (11)
Sparky (2)

Previously I had a giant where the miner is.

And unlike most people, I really like Sparky.
Learn to use the miner like a sniper shot too. He's great to pick off casters in the rear of a push, etc. Not to mention killing pumps and chipping towers.

I'm getting better with him already. I'm managing to keep par with my trophies even without knowing him in-and-out. I can only imagine that will go up with mastery.

I change my deck so infrequently that I get really optimized to it at any given time. Once I have him down so that I can play half-consciously I expect to shoot up a bit.

As noted, he doesn't work as well paired with the graveyard as I hoped, but he's doing wonderful things with gob gang and minion horde.

My Golem Deck is doing good, though I would like to have miner or bandit to swap things. Deck is:

Golem (5)
Archers (10)
Minions (9)
Zap (9)
Mini Pekka (7)
MegaMinion (8)
Tornado (3)
Collector (6)

Leveling Golem and MM up was good. I'm at Arena 9, going in and out of 2900 trophies. Biggest problems are PEKKA decks, but normally it comes to who outsmart who, so they are mostly fun matches. Except when I find someone with overleveled cards but whatevs.

JoeNut

i got a graveyard in clan chest, can't seem to use it at all.

What's the secret? i just get countered every time with something like valk / minions

What's the secret? i just get countered every time with something like valk / minions

I use it a lot.

You need a distraction going when you start it, and it takes a while to warm up. It's damage grows geometrically, so it's important that it have time to start ramping up.

In my previous deck, I'd set a giant at it, have arrows ready (to protect the giant) and then start it. I've seen people use Baby Dragons, too.

totowhoa

Banned

I'm tipsy and avoiding something. Sounds like a good time for a long post!

A few things:

1) you need a tank or mini tank (knight/valk/ice golem/baby dragon/etc) to soak tower shots since tower one hits skeletons. Most GY decks have two tanks or mini tanks.

2.0) need at least one spell to take out their counter. I recommend log or zap as a second spellZ Zap, arrows, fireball and poison are your main options for pairing with GY. Freeze is also viable, but less commonly used. Poison is used by most pros, even in most GY cycle decks. It's a heavy investment (11 elixer if your tank is a cheap ice golem... 14 for giant). So, timing is everything. Gotta get the combo going. If you need to defend another lane, then do it. Start the combo over in a moment. That's why it's nice having two tanks.

2.5) poison got popular with its buff a few months ago and I recommend that as your spell unless you're wanting a crazy GY cycle, which is a little weaker but fun to play. When running poison, this is how you play it. Your tank is on the bridge and you drop GY. Tank crosses bridge before skeletons spawn and is targeted by tower. You're hover poison already, but waiting for them to drop their counter. Drop poison on the counter (or, optionally, sacrifice troop damage for collector damage if they have one). If it's squishy like minions, gob gang, dart gob, archers, etc then it dies. If it's a knight or valk, it survives but is weakened. But if their counter is valk, then you may have goofed - avoid playing GY when they have it in hand. If they're smart, they'll never play it until you cast GY once you have it it. In that case, build huge pushes up and play really fucking well... it's going to be a game that goes to OT, so play solid defense too. In general, GY is strongest when their best counter is out of hand. Their next best counters are either weak to poison, or shit defending GY.

3) when you have one of the opponent's towers down you can perform a quick strike that's hard to deal with, especially in double elixer. Cast GY on the tower. Opponent will be reacting to cast a counter. Drop your tank immediately after in the pocket - the corner spot on he enemy's side. It soaks damage from both towers. Cast your spell to deal with their GY counter. And win the game, hopefully.

4) YouTube "splashyard deck" if you like tornado. It's a great GY deck that runs baby dragon and bowler. Along with the option to poison, you can also tornado the GY counter and the tank counter directly on top of the tower do that your dragon or bowler deals splash damage to troops + tower + skeletons on the other side of the tower go to town.

Edit: 5) never cast a naked GY (GY with no tank) unless its panic time and there's 400hp left or something. Only do it if absolutely necessary and add every spell you can. Otherwise, don't. Build up a good push or don't use it.

6) don't cast your GY too close to their king tower! An activated king tower wrecks GY with double the towers locked on it. If you ever get one tower into range of a spell killing it, focus on the other!! You don't want the king tower helping.

/edit

Have fun! I hate myself so I play mortar, but GY is very powerful at level one below 4K, and it can actually do quite well as a low level card at high trophy counts, so it's one of the best legendaries to have in a ladder deck as a f2p (or very little money to play) player.

JoeNut

I'm tipsy and avoiding something. Sounds like a good time for a long post!

A few things:

1) you need a tank or mini tank (knight/valk/ice golem/baby dragon/etc) to soak tower shots since tower one hits skeletons. Most GY decks have two tanks or mini tanks.

2.0) need at least one spell to take out their counter. I recommend log or zap as a second spellZ Zap, arrows, fireball and poison are your main options for pairing with GY. Freeze is also viable, but less commonly used. Poison is used by most pros, even in most GY cycle decks. It's a heavy investment (11 elixer if your tank is a cheap ice golem... 14 for giant). So, timing is everything. Gotta get the combo going. If you need to defend another lane, then do it. Start the combo over in a moment. That's why it's nice having two tanks.

2.5) poison got popular with its buff a few months ago and I recommend that as your spell unless you're wanting a crazy GY cycle, which is a little weaker but fun to play. When running poison, this is how you play it. Your tank is on the bridge and you drop GY. Tank crosses bridge before skeletons spawn and is targeted by tower. You're hover poison already, but waiting for them to drop their counter. Drop poison on the counter (or, optionally, sacrifice troop damage for collector damage if they have one). If it's squishy like minions, gob gang, dart gob, archers, etc then it dies. If it's a knight or valk, it survives but is weakened. But if their counter is valk, then you may have goofed - avoid playing GY when they have it in hand. If they're smart, they'll never play it until you cast GY once you have it it. In that case, build huge pushes up and play really fucking well... it's going to be a game that goes to OT, so play solid defense too. In general, GY is strongest when their best counter is out of hand. Their next best counters are either weak to poison, or shit defending GY.

3) when you have one of the opponent's towers down you can perform a quick strike that's hard to deal with, especially in double elixer. Cast GY on the tower. Opponent will be reacting to cast a counter. Drop your tank immediately after in the pocket - the corner spot on he enemy's side. It soaks damage from both towers. Cast your spell to deal with their GY counter. And win the game, hopefully.

4) YouTube "splashyard deck" if you like tornado. It's a great GY deck that runs baby dragon and bowler. Along with the option to poison, you can also tornado the GY counter and the tank counter directly on top of the tower do that your dragon or bowler deals splash damage to troops + tower + skeletons on the other side of the tower go to town.

Edit: 5) never cast a naked GY (GY with no tank) unless its panic time and there's 400hp left or something. Only do it if absolutely necessary and add every spell you can. Otherwise, don't. Build up a good push or don't use it.

6) don't cast your GY too close to their king tower! An activated king tower wrecks GY with double the towers locked on it. If you ever get one tower into range of a spell killing it, focus on the other!! You don't want the king tower helping.

/edit

Have fun! I hate myself so I play mortar, but GY is very powerful at level one below 4K, and it can actually do quite well as a low level card at high trophy counts, so it's one of the best legendaries to have in a ladder deck as a f2p (or very little money to play) player.
Thanks dude

totowhoa

Banned
CWA just posted a crazy fun giant skeleton control deck on YouTube last night. Snagged a 12 win my first go at it. Definitely worth a try for something different. Had ram, horde, miner and heal in it to boot!

hollomat

Banned
That bats chest offer is pretty messed up. Bats still aren't out for a week, but if you pay $5, get them early.

Hopefully supercell doesn't pull the same thing with the other new cards. I'm fine with the challenges for the cards because at least then it feels like you earned the right to get the card early rather than just owned up your wallet.

Agent

I absolutely love 2v2 mode, but it simply does not work in a challenge mode where you are forced to pair with a random. There are simply too many idiots that play this game to have fun in a level capped environment. I was looking forward to all of the 2v2 challenges this month, but if they are going to force you to pair with a random then no thanks. Quite frankly, there should be no gem entry fee for 2v2 challenges with randoms. It's not like the rewards are that great.

I'll stick with 2v2 ladder mode where card/tower levels can sometimes compensate for a bad teammate or you can actually pair up with a clanmate/friend.

Top Bottom