• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 3| "No Officer, I'm a Passenger"

beta_fuse

Nobody knows how the game is going to handle Legendaries. But chances are they won't just be spawning randomly around the map. I presume they will mostly be available through raids.

You can do 1 raid per day, so if your only concern is getting Legendaries, then just keep a raid pass on hand at all times.

Unless you buy a Premium Raid Pass, then you can raid all day!

gutshot

What's everyone's plans for when the gyms go live? Drive around and try to get in as many gyms as possible? Or just try to lock down a few gyms in one spot?

Will you be holding on to your high CP/double weakness Mons like Dragonite or Gyarados? Or putting them into the new gyms to see how they hold up? Will you try any low CP defenders that weren't used much before like Steelix or Umbreon?

beta_fuse

What's everyone's plans for when the gyms go live? Drive around and try to get in as many gyms as possible? Or just try to lock down a few gyms in one spot?

Will you be holding on to your high CP/double weakness Mons like Dragonite or Gyarados? Or putting them into the new gyms to see how they hold up? Will you try any low CP defenders that weren't used much before like Steelix or Umbreon?

I think I'm gonna go drive around and test out different Pokemon in different gyms. Gonna start with high CP and work my way down. Sucks I'm not too close to a cluster of gyms but I'll manage.

Run

I thought the wording on the legendary raids was that they would "also" provide codes to those who heavily participate in gyms meaning that there will be a different primary way to get legendaries.

I would hope so, as doing the gym grind to me is tedious and boring with little payoff. It's the entire reason I hunted down gyms that are hard to find or get to, so I could collect my coins and dust without the hassle of having to grind a hundred potions to do a few gyms. Forcing me to do gyms to get the rewards I want (legendaries) means grinding stops. In the town I live in, that means giving up on high volume pokemon areas for high volume stop areas since pokemon don't spawn where all the stop are in decent numbers.

TIt'she new system also means fewer coins, as high turnaround gyms in my town means a few hours for my team, if not minutes. So fewer incubators, fewer good pokemon. Honestly, If I wanted a mind numbing grind for potentially no payoff in countless raids I'd go play WoW.

zulux21

Nobody knows how the game is going to handle Legendaries. But chances are they won't just be spawning randomly around the map. I presume they will mostly be available through raids.

You can do 1 raid per day, so if your only concern is getting Legendaries, then just keep a raid pass on hand at all times.

ah the tickets are just to join a raid, not even to start one?

I wonder how much the premium pass will be and if you can buy it with coins.

border

Sure but more raids = more chance to find a legendary. If all you get is 1 shot per day, finding a legendary may take a while.

If a raid features a Legendary Pokemon, you will probably know it before you spend your raid pass to join. Assuming that most people don't encounter Legendary Raids more than once per day, I think you can probably rely on the free raid passes.

ah the tickets are just to join a raid, not even to start one?

I wonder how much the premium pass will be and if you can buy it with coins.

Presumably the pass will get you into one raid per day, whether you are joining one that is in progress or starting a new group.

zulux21

If a raid features a Legendary Pokemon, you will probably know it before you spend your raid pass to join. Assuming that most people don't encounter Legendary Raids more than once per day, I think you can probably rely on the free raid passes.

I can't imagine it would be very run to run from gym to gym to see what hatches from the egg only to not do anything if it isn't a legendary.

as far as I could see you can't make out what the pokemon is that is coming until it hatches and then you have 5 minutes to kill it.

I would love to be wrong about that though as I have 3 gyms with in a few minutes walk of me and it would be great to be able to see what it was with some time to spare.

border

as far as I could see you can't make out what the pokemon is that is coming until it hatches and then you have 5 minutes to kill it.

I thought that there was at least a 20-30 minute timer on raid bosses.

Also, I believe Legendary Eggs look different than eggs for normal raid bosses, so you can tell if a Legendary is going to hatch.

zulux21

Also, I believe Legendary Eggs look different than eggs for normal raid bosses, so you can tell if a Legendary is going to hatch.

I thought there was a decent timer leading up to it but then it was pretty quick. but I haven't looked into it for a bit and there was a lot of confusing when it was first announced.

Oxx

I'm ok with getting back to regular spawns.

Time to stock-up on pidgeys. Mass evolve + Houndoom + Feraligatr + Typhlosion = pretty much done with gen 2.

Rafavert

Hi, guys! Been playing since January (aka when I got a mobile capable of running this...) so I'll be joining the discussion after lurking a while =)

First and foremost, a question.

I'm currently lv25, close to 26. Any level up tips? I found some floating around online, but they're mostly from last year. Is it still all about mass evolution? How many Pokémon can one expect to evolve in the 30 minutes the Lucky Egg lasts? Been hoarding Pidgeys and Weedles for this.

Also, I'll mirror the sentiment. While I didn't manage to get enough candy for neither Charizard nor Typhlosion (4 of the days of the event were spent back home... aka Go wasteland. Not even a Pokéstop for miles), I did manage to get a fair few ready to evolve and am kinda glad it's over, cuz I was always out of balls. Will miss the boosted exp, though.

hEist

Hi, guys! Been playing since January (aka when I got a mobile capable of running this...) so I'll be joining the discussion after lurking a while =)

I'm currently lv25, close to 26. Any level up tips? I found some floating around online, but they're mostly from last year. Is it still all about mass evolution? How many Pokémon can one expect to evolve in the 30 minutes the Lucky Egg lasts? Been hoarding Pidgeys and Weedles for this.
yeah, lucky egg method is the best to be honest. If you got enough storage you should wait and stock all the pidgey candy and wait until 2x exp event.

my tactic:
stocking pidgey, weedle, rattatas and their candy.
meanwhile I evolve all others "normally" without lucky eggs.

RrJGEpd.png

I think you can get about 60-70 evolves per lucky egg.

I've been out all day so I haven't been able to check the park blocks down from my house, but I soo hopee one of the two Pokestops there become a gym... One is right on a playground and I'm under the impression that playgrounds are never gyms, (don't know if that's legit) so I'm expecting the other one. It would be dope.

Hey I wonder if Ditto will be more useful as a gym defender now in the new system.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
hopefully they will add rare items from stops that can spawn legendaries they need to add multiple ways of getting them to appease different play styles

edit: and make it only 1 chance off the first spin of the day to to spawn the item to make it even for everyone dosnt matter if you are a rural player or city it would only drop on the first spin of the day

get a extra bonus if you kill the boss within 5 minutes

gutshot

Also, I'll mirror the sentiment. While I didn't manage to get enough candy for neither Charizard nor Typhlosion (4 of the days of the event were spent back home... aka Go wasteland. Not even a Pokéstop for miles), I did manage to get a fair few ready to evolve and am kinda glad it's over, cuz I was always out of balls. Will miss the boosted exp, though.

Sounds like you have a newer phone, in which case you may be able to do the "force quit and relaunch the app to skip the evolve animation" trick. I do that trick with my iPhone 7 and it really lets you squeeze in a lot more evolves. I can usually do 80+ with a few mins to spare.

Finally made it to level 26, and that entire Solstice event with the boosted EXP got me to 27 today. Damn this feels good. Now the regular rate is gonna keep me at 27 for a long time. CAN'T WAIT TO PLAY ALL SUMMER.

Frillen

I haven't played since March, when did they add new Poke stops? Also any news on the ability to choose what gen of Pokemon you out of an egg?

GulAtiCa

I haven't played since March, when did they add new Poke stops? Also any news on the ability to choose what gen of Pokemon you out of an egg?

New pokestops tend to pop up from time to time.

Also, lol. No you can't choose which gen pokeeggs are. That's just silly. The eggs are more refined now though, several pokemon got dropped (like Paras.)

I feel like everyone in my neighborhood is camping right now waiting lol

GulAtiCa

Oh, so a Flaaffy showed up randomly in my neighborhood last night! Ran out to get it and was able to use a pinap berry to catch it! Now only need 49 more candies to fully evolve.

Growlie19

So far, today has been an item restocking day, bringing me back up to a more comfortable amount of balls. I've also been catching most commons, since I'm just 110K xp away from 34! I've still got one Lucky Egg left from the bundle, so I'm gonna use that for the final push.

Of course, I've been hyping myself up for this gym update. Really hoping it starts around 4 eastern. That seems to be the usual start time for events, though the Gen 2 update started around 8.... Who knows? I just want it to be today!

zulux21

So far, today has been an item restocking day, bringing me back up to a more comfortable amount of balls. I've also been catching most commons, since I'm just 110K xp away from 34! I've still got one Lucky Egg left from the bundle, so I'm gonna use that for the final push.

Of course, I've been hyping myself up for this gym update. Really hoping it starts around 4 eastern. That seems to be the usual start time for events, though the Gen 2 update started around 8.... Who knows? I just want it to be today!

I wouldn't expect it until next month.

that way your hopes won't be crushed when it doesn't happen today.

Top Bottom