• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
That feel when you beat the toxic player on your team in the next match.

DR2K

Banned
You can tell DR2K is salty about getting hooked all the time.

I played around with Makoa in Paladins, and he's not a good Roadhog substitute IMO:
-Hook is on an 11 second cooldown, which is pretty boring.
-He only has a left click, and it's a cannonball projectile with a massive hitbox - not a skillshot like Roadhog's.
-It's nigh impossible to miss with the hook.
-Hook + gun takes 3 shots to kill, so it's just about disruption.
-His ultimate turns him into a melee monster for some reason...lol.
+He has a turtle shell spin that gives him a mobility option.
+He can huddle into his shell to create a Winston-like barrier for the team to hide in.
+He has an outfit that turns his body into lava-scorched earth. Looks sick and is far better than anything Roadhog has as a skin.

It's hilarious that D.va players are trying to claim the two situations are similar.

No one likes losing to one move. It's brain dead.

The 2 reactions to the nerfs are VERY similar. DVA was considered trash after her nerfs. Player got good and adapted. If you want easy kills, pick an actual DPS. If you want a 900 health hero that hits like a truck, can pull a character towards your team(which by all accounts is an instant death), with an ultimate that can wipe a team out you pick Roadhog.

I don't get how they can nerf Roadhog but leave Hanzo's scatter arrow. The worst ability since the start of the game and it's never been touched has it? Just constant death if you hit someone's foot. Nonsense.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I hope its defense. I'm not feeling any of the defense characters right now.

It's probably defense because defense is the only class without a new character, but I hope for another support. Attack and defense mostly just means DPS and there's plenty of DPS already. Especially with weird things like Widowmaker actually being attack, and Sombra being defense.

Maybe it can be another hybrid support which never gets played because 2-2-2 fanatics go insane trying to understand how to make a 2-2-2 when you add a .5 to the mix.

The 2 reactions to the nerfs are VERY similar. DVA was considered trash after her nerfs. Player got good and adapted. If you want easy kills, pick an actual DPS. If you want a 900 health hero that hits like a truck, can pull a character towards your team(which by all accounts is an instant death), with an ultimate that can wipe a team out you pick Roadhog.

Wasn't DVa way more powerful then than Roadhog is now?

I like the path of the new roadhog, but he might end up needing a little extra help.

Veelk

Banned

First off, you're seriously overestimating Roadhogs effectiveness. His ult especially rarely results in any kind of teamwipe.

Second, I personally had no problem dying to hooks most of the time. First, it's not braindead and requires atleast decent aim on part of the player. I know this because I miss plenty of shots when I play Hog, and even the best players have around a 50% accuracy rating on him. As many have pointed out, Hog without Hook is all but dead weight for the team and a huge target and ult battery that no one can really protect.

But on the flip side, there are plenty of counters to RH. As Tracer, I bait plenty of hooks by purposely running into his line of fire and then dashing out. Genji deflects it. Reinhardt and Winston and Orisa and Mei and Zarya and Symmetra all block it. D.Va can eat his follow up shot for teammates or Ana can interrupt his whole thing with a sleepdart. There's a lot any given team can do to stop him.

Sure, there are going to be inevitable cases where you get hooked from the back or something or have your thing on cooldown and you're almost certainly going to die to those. But that's just a byproduct of the chaos of the fight putting you in a bad position. You'd die to any halfway competent player with a character who can output any kind of reasonable damage if you turn your back to them. It's the design of the game that there are circumstances where you basically have no chance and there's nothing wrong with that as long as it's counterbalanced by other stuff, which it is.

kurahador

You can only get team wipe from Roadhog ulti from Ana's nano boost or Mercy's attack boost.
Otherwise, it's only good for pushing shielded Reinhardt off the edge.

Veelk

Banned
You can only get team wipe from Roadhog ulti from Ana's nano boost or Mercy's attack boost.
Otherwise, it's only good for pushing shielded Reinhardt off the edge.

I did it once when I did it with Zarya's grav. I liked it because they had a mei and she tried to block me with a wall, but I was super close, so the whole hog eat through a very narrow section of it. It was straight up out of The Shining. "Heeeeeere's HOGGY!"

Other than that, it's a zoning ult sometimes gets a pick or two at best.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I am saying you can't get good and adapt to this RH because it took a character with many inherent downsides and took out the upside that counterbalanced it. He was a character in a very unique position that is not comparable to anyone else, but he is legitimately trash as is.

The reaction the the dva nerf was a lot different too, she was much more powerful in the meta to begin with at the time but even then she STILL got a buff to her DM along with it. Which is her real strength and character defining ability.

I don't get how they can nerf Roadhog but leave Hanzo's scatter arrow. The worst ability since the start of the game and it's never been touched has it? Just constant death if you hit someone's foot. Nonsense.
They made some attempts to fix the logs he shoots, but every attempt has been reverted pretty quickly. I suppose Hanzo's issues are more complex than simple hitbox and projectile sizes.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Man, Mayhem has just ruined this game for me now. The cooldowns and low health. Fuck this game. Give me the fun mode back blizzard.

They really need to add more than 5 options into Arcade. Why do we have to sacrifice options to get new ones? Stupid.
Now with the new Low Gravity mode, how long are we going to wait to get Total Mayhem or Capture the Flag or 6v6 Lockout Elimination? I assume one of them will be back next week when "Horizon" will be removed, but what about people who want the other ones?

Roadhog not so bad, the increased rate of fire and extra shot are very useful in hook downtime.

Arcade is shit right now. Need bring back 6v6 Elim.

Roadhog not so bad, the increased rate of fire and extra shot are very useful in hook downtime.

Arcade is shit right now. Need bring back 6v6 Elim.

I don't get this idea that suddenly roadhog is better because hes more spammy? Maybe if you can't aim. Well timed shots before even without hooks could secure one shot kills or at least do significantly more damage. Roadhog is very reliant on positioning so following up with a second shot isn't as easy if a player moves away or too close to you between shots thanks to his spread. He is just flat out worse.

LiK

I think the main issue with Hog mains with this nerf is that the one shot kills are gone. Faster DPS is meaningless for their established playstyle since launch.

I think the main issue with Hog mains with this nerf is that the one shot kills are gone. Faster DPS is meaningless for their established playstyle since launch.

Burst damage is his playstyle. Roadhog is the typical brawler character. Dangerous when you're in their range which forces players to keep away from him because they kill fast. Its a mental game. He can't throw up a shield or barrier that protects his allies. He protects them by zoning out characters and punishing those who are out of position and are too close. But if he can no longer burst characters down theres less of a reason to be afraid of him which makes him unable to fulfill his role. And its not faster dps. Its flat out less dps that requires even better aiming. That is a flat nerf. No one hits every shot. Not even if you have godlike aim. Even if you did a lot can happen between shots. An ana grenade. A Zarya barrier. Wraithform. Knock back You can be cced or be forced to reload etc.

I don't get this idea that suddenly roadhog is better because hes more spammy? Maybe if you can't aim. Well timed shots before even without hooks could secure one shot kills or at least do significantly more damage. Roadhog is very reliant on positioning so following up with a second shot isn't as easy if a player moves away or too close to you between shots thanks to his spread. He is just flat out worse.

I didn't say better, I said the nerfs not that bad. And some of the changes actually help with what you just highlighted as a weakness.

I agree, but I don't think that's entirely without reason. It feels a bit like yet another element that clouds his role in the game. He's always been in this weird halfway point between DPS and tank. His kit relied on his hook bringing people in close, and anyone he caught was punished for it. A Roadhog that can't finish the job is just a Roadhog that just brings danger closer to him. I'm not sure what Blizzard has planned for him, but I hope they at least have a plan in mind.

No one hits every shot. Not even if you have godlike aim. Even if you did a lot can happen between shots. An ana grenade. A Zarya barrier. Wraithform. Knock back You can be cced or be forced to reload etc.

Yeah no one hits every shot, so now at least there is less downtime after a missed one and an extra shot before need reload.

I didn't say better, I said the nerfs not that bad. And some of the changes actually help with what you just highlighted as a weakness.
Which weaknesses does it help? Edited to respond to the post above. But that just makes it worse. If you land a shot you're flat out doing less damage pre nerf which means you have to land at least a second one to make up the difference. Also like I stated above a lot can happen between two shots.

I agree, but I don't think that's entirely without reason. It feels a bit like yet another element that clouds his role in the game. He's always been in this weird halfway point between DPS and tank. His kit relied on his hook bringing people in close, and anyone he caught was punished for it. A Roadhog that can't finish the job is just a Roadhog that just brings danger closer to him. I'm not sure what Blizzard has planned for him, but I hope they at least have a plan in mind.

I'd go as far to argue that hes actually more of a dps character now than a tank. And a bad one at that. If hes unable to create a zone of death his role as a tank is useless. He is now just a fat mid range character with no escape that can throw out some spammy dps. Not burst dps but the dps that enemy healers love to munch on to fill their ults.

Which weaknesses does it help? Edited to respond to the post above. But that just makes it worse. If you land a shot you're flat out doing less damage pre nerf which means you have to land at least a second one to make up the difference. Also like I stated above a lot can happen between two shots.

I'd go as far to argue that hes actually more of a dps character now than a tank. If hes unable to create a zone of death his role as a tank is useless. He is now just a fat mid range character with no escape that can throw out some spammy dps. Not burst dps but the dps that enemy healers love to munch on to fill their ults.

You're making arguments like every enemy is at full health constantly. If you got several low health targets then more shots and faster rate of fire is better. If the enemy in a choke you can now spam that shit down better, if you team isn't helping when you land a hook you're probably gonna lose anyway because no teamwork is death.

It's a team game, using one man island examples to complain makes them poor examples.

One Man Apocalypse no character is.

You're making arguments like every enemy is at full health constantly. If you got several low health targets then more shots and faster rate of fire is better. If the enemy in a choke you can now spam that shit down better, if you team isn't helping when you land a hook you're probably gonna lose anyway because no teamwork is death.

It's a team game, using one man island examples to complain makes them poor examples.

One Man Apocalypse no character is.

Good healers are going to try their best to keep their team mates topped off yes. Its even easier to do with spam hog not dealing as heavy damage as before. If you've got several low health targets then your team isn't exactly focusing are they? Also low health targets don't generally just stand around waiting to die. You're more likely to come across full health players and in team fights bursting down one player can turn the game in your favor. At a choke good players are even better at avoiding those hook by standing behind tanks or behind walls or other objects. You see roadhog and you expect the hook so you position yourself away from it.

New meta report.

1mfLV2yP1ed.jpg

Not enough diversity. Pretty lame.

Yager

Banned
According to Oversumo I'm a Grandmaster Mercy and Master Winston. idontbelieveyou.gif

Regarding the Hog, in the last patches I took the approach of "wait and see" before coming to a conclusion, everybody knows that apparently with every patch Blizzard breaks one character or the game as a whole. But in this case I think they fucked up. Roadhog now adds nothing to the game, and the whole "well it brings enemies closer so everybody focuses them" is bullshit. People have a hard fucking time focusing enemies with discord orb and you want them to focus on a hooked guy? LMAO. I hope they rework the changes a bit, because the damage nerf is ridiculous. "But he can spam damage". So do 90% of the characters, and most of those are going to be better at kiling enemies than Hog right now.

Of course maybe I'm wrong and the problem is that we all should change how we play that big fat crazy man...but even with that, what would you change? Sticking together? You can have an Orisa that is better at spamming damage and also provide barriers. I just feel bad because I used to enjoyed picking Roadhog from time to time.

According to Oversumo I'm a Grandmaster Mercy and Master Winston. idontbelieveyou.gif

Regarding the Hog, in the last patches I took the approach of "wait and see" before coming to a conclusion, everybody knows that apparently with every patch Blizzard breaks one character or the game as a whole. But in this case I think they fucked up. Roadhog now adds nothing to the game, and the whole "well it brings enemies closer so everybody focuses them" is bullshit. People have a hard fucking time focusing enemies with discord orb and you want them to focus on a hooked guy? LMAO. I hope they rework the changes a bit, because the damage nerf is ridiculous. "But he can spam damage". So do 90% of the characters, and most of those are going to be better at kiling enemies than Hog right now.

Of course maybe I'm wrong and the problem is that we all should change how we play that big fat crazy man...but even with that, what would you change? Sticking together? You can have an Orisa that is better at spamming damage and also provide barriers. I just feel bad because I used to enjoyed picking Roadhog from time to time.

Play outside his range. Why do people not understand this? Hook cannot go through walls. His scrap gun has major blind spots. Zenyatta gets destroyed by Roadhog. His hitbox is a mile wide, his mobility sucks, and he's incredibly easy to one-shot. And yet I still managed to not be constantly dead when the other team had a Roadhog. It's almost like not playing like an idiot is beneficial.

All of the offense and defense heroes other than Tracer outrange Roadhog's hook. Character has always had so much counterplay and yet people insisted on complaining. The number of Genjis on my team I've seen wander into hook range, jump around predictably, and then bitch incessantly when they got killed (and never switched heroes or rethought their approach), jeez.

I'm only seeing myself picking hog if my team is having troubles breaking a choke point, by destroying the shields and trying to get someone hooked hoping that my team can capitalize on it.

I liked to play hog anywhere basically, especially while soloq. Even though my wr wasn't positive with him I always felt like a lot of my wins with him would've been losses if I had played other character.

This is gonna hurt soloq that's for sure. If I feel like there's not enough healing or cover to stay alive as Zarya it's time to be that 4th or 5th dps I guess, I'll start playing more bastion/mei/sombra.

Too many hours of support kinda burn me out of this game, I'd rather lose rank than support dps that don't even know the targets that they are suppose to focus on or tanks that just stay there waiting for a miracle to happen.

Playing on console here, how good is McCree's ult now?

Good enough that I end up playing with inaccurate McCree players who are far more likely to watch their teammates die trying to capture a point while they play entirely around trying to get a sick quad kill PotG with it instead of actively helping and succeeding because of how much faster it is now despite the other team knowing he's been peeking out of the upper level of Horizon point B for a good 30 seconds. I mean sure we lost but hey McCree you got that cool PotG that didn't actually help because we were all dead by the time you finally used it.

Sorry, I had to vent that experience from yesterday.

LiK

McCree Ult can pretty much help insta-kill Tracer and Pharmercy more easily because of how much faster it locks on now.

Ive played attack Bastion and the amount of messages I get like I'm a Hanzo thrower are funny lol.

Someone has to shred those defence barriers!

Random aside: Low gravity mode may be awful but the hilarity of using Bastion to leap off a high ledge and transform in mid air to falling with style turret mode is cracking stuff.

HiiiLife

Someone has to shred those defence barriers!

Random aside: Low gravity mode may be awful but the hilarity of using Bastion to leap off a high ledge and transform in mid air to falling with style turret mode is cracking stuff.

Yep, shredding Orisas and Reins shields just to constantly break their defense is enough. And I've had better luck running him for my hitscan over soldier and Mccree lately. I like to play a lot more mobile than people give bastions credit for. The mobile healing is a big factor, tho. I'd play soldier over him if that was never patched in.

NeoRaider

I can't even tolerate shitty Widows and Hanzos in my team anymore. They are in every single match. And i also can't stand Genji anymore.
After more than 600 hours i think that i am done with this game.

I started using Roadhog before he got nerfed. Never played him before, very much liked him. Never had an issue getting killed by him, so I hope they reverse the nerf

Yager

Banned
Play outside his range. Why do people not understand this? Hook cannot go through walls. His scrap gun has major blind spots. Zenyatta gets destroyed by Roadhog. His hitbox is a mile wide, his mobility sucks, and he's incredibly easy to one-shot. And yet I still managed to not be constantly dead when the other team had a Roadhog. It's almost like not playing like an idiot is beneficial.

All of the offense and defense heroes other than Tracer outrange Roadhog's hook. Character has always had so much counterplay and yet people insisted on complaining. The number of Genjis on my team I've seen wander into hook range, jump around predictably, and then bitch incessantly when they got killed (and never switched heroes or rethought their approach), jeez.

But...that's what I'm saying, that he adds nothing to the game now. This change was unnecesary.

Top Bottom