• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raid Battles and New Gym Features are Coming To Pokémon GO!

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Trainers,

The biggest update to Pokémon GO is nearly here! Very soon, Trainers around the world will be able to participate in a revamped Gym gameplay experience, including the opportunity to join together with others to battle against powerful Pokémon in the new Raid Battle feature!

New Gym Features and Updates: Starting soon, Gyms are undergoing a major facelift. You'll soon be able to spin the Photo Disc at Gyms to acquire items just as you do at PokéStops—but that's only the beginning. More updates to Gym battles are also just around the corner. Gyms are no longer based on Prestige and training. Instead, they now feature six permanent slots that can be filled by the controlling team's Pokémon. Each Pokémon assigned to these slots must be unique. For example, only one Blissey can be assigned to a Gym at a time. In addition, opposing teams will battle the Pokémon in the order they were assigned to the Gym.

At the heart of the update is a new motivation system that will significantly change how you interact with Gyms. When a Pokémon is assigned to a Gym, a motivation meter will be displayed. Pokémon assigned to defend a Gym lose motivation over time and as they are defeated in battle. As a Pokémon loses motivation, its CP will temporarily decrease, making it easier for opposing teams to defeat. To help keep the Pokémon motivated and in tip-top shape for their next battle, Trainers can treat their team's Pokémon to some Berries, which restore their motivation. If a Pokémon loses all motivation, it will leave the Gym and return to its Trainer the next time it loses a battle, so you'll want to keep your team's Pokémon motivated by giving them Berries frequently!

gym1.png
gym2.png
gym3.png

gym4.png
gym5.png
gym6.png

Gym Badges: Now you'll be able to earn Gym Badges when interacting with the many Gyms around the world. Gym Badges serve as mementos of your Pokémon GO adventures and reflect your contribution to a Gym's success.

You'll be able to level up your Badges by battling, giving Berries to the Pokémon in the Gym and spinning the Gym's Photo Disc. You can earn the opportunity to receive bonus items and increased rewards from Gyms by raising the level of your Gym Badge.

badge1.png
badge2.png
badge3.png

New Raid Battle Feature: All around the world, you'll soon be able to participate in the new Raid Battle feature at Gyms. A Raid Battle is a cooperative gameplay experience that encourages you to work with other Trainers to defeat an extremely powerful Pokémon known as the Raid Boss. Before a Raid Battle begins, all Pokémon assigned to the Gym will return to their Trainers, and a large Egg will appear atop the Gym. When the countdown above the Egg reaches zero, the Raid Boss will be revealed.

Before you can battle the Raid Boss, you'll need a Raid Pass. You can get one free Raid Pass per day by visiting a Gym, but you can only hold one at a time. You can also get Premium Raid Passes from the in-game shop. Upon using your pass to join the battle, you and up to 20 other Trainers work together to defeat the Raid Boss. If you successfully defeat the Raid Boss within the five-minute time limit, you'll have the chance to catch an extra powerful Pokémon of your own!

raid1.png
raid2.png
raid3.png

raid4.png
raid5.png
raid6.png

New Items: After defeating a Raid Boss, you'll receive a collection of rewards, including some new items obtained only by defeating a Raid Boss: Rare Candies, Golden Razz Berries, and two types of Technical Machines—Fast and Charged. A Rare Candy is a mysterious candy that, when used on a Pokémon, turns into that Pokémon's Candy. Golden Razz Berries will greatly increase your chances of catching a Pokémon you encounter in the wild and can also be given to a Pokémon assigned to a Gym to fully recover its motivation meter. Technical Machines are items you can use to permanently teach a Pokémon a new Fast Attack or Charged Attack.

To put these exciting changes in motion, we'll be temporarily disabling all Gyms. Once the update has been rolled out to players around the world, Gyms will return. The Raid Battle feature will then be rolled out slowly over the next few weeks, starting as a beta, with raids visible only to a subset of players at certain Gym locations. Over a few days, we'll invite more players to participate and enable raids at more Gyms around the world. Keep an eye on our social media channels for updates on when you'll be able to start battling in raids. We can't wait to see you outside battling at your local Gyms!

—The Pokémon GO team

Raids sound great for the people still playing with groups of friends. I have no idea how the gym changes will work out, though it's interesting that Niantic have found yet another way to use up your consumable items, thus requiring you to buy more of them. Though having gyms give you items like pokestops is nice. I'm curious if anyone on your team can give pokemon berries or if it's just the trainers who are in the gym--the former might be a good way for the vast majority of players with no hope of getting into gyms now to still interact with them in a meaningful way, especially given the new gym badge system.

I look forward to people smarter than me dissecting the new system, it's still pretty early to come to any definitive conclusions.

oti

Banned
I stopped caring about Gyms ages ago. These features sound interesting, but I don't know. We'll see.

Do Gyms now give items too? Like Pokeballs? Am I reading this right?

Gaspard

Wow Gyms got a complete reworking that both nerfs Pokemon that just sit in them and makes them way more interesting with these raids.

I wonder how many more people at the mall i'm gonna see playing once the eggs pop out.

Fireblend

Banned
I fell off the Pokemon GO train a while ago, but my gf still plays it, I bet she's gonna love some of this stuff. It's nice to see Niantic continuing to support the game.

This would certainly get me back into playing Pokémon Go! I played it a ton when my wife and I lived in the city, but haven't had the motivation now that we've moved about 30 minutes away. There's a gym literally right by my house but I could never do enough in my area to even try challenging it. Now I can at least get some rewards.

Do we have a release date for this?

This would certainly get me back into playing Pokémon Go! I played it a ton when my wife and I lived in the city, but haven't had the motivation now that we've moved about 30 minutes away. There's a gym literally right by my house but I could never do enough in my area to even try challenging it. Now I can at least get some rewards.

Do we have a release date for this?

I think gyms are currently disabled, so I would expect very soon. Days at most.

8bit

Knows the Score
First in, first out and no more Tower of Blissey is a good start. Raiding sounds a bit messy though.

Andrefpvs

Raids would have been amazing last summer :(

I like the Gym changes, now I at least have a reason to interact with them.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Motivation berries and premium raid passes reek of a lot more "Pay to win" being injected into the game.

Marcel

All good additions for the hundreds of thousands still playing but most of my fellow commuter friends have moved on from this game.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
The premium I get, but the motivation berries? The screenshots show the same type of berries we already have. Finally a use for the nanab, I guess.

Depends how many berries they need. Backpack space upgrades being made more necessary when before, Item management could defeat the "I DONT NEED ANY OF THIS SHIT" deluge.

Rafavert

Depends how many berries they need. Backpack space upgrades being made more necessary when before, Item management could defeat the "I DONT NEED ANY OF THIS SHIT" deluge.

Fair point.

At least they aren't introducing new berries. Got enough crap coming from stops as is. Moar pokéballs, please!

gutshot

Really hoping they discount the bag upgrade as I've been saving up for that. And maybe even raise the cap?

Rafavert

Really hoping they discount the bag upgrade as I've been saving up for that. And maybe even raise the cap?

We're unlikely to have large amounts of those, though. They seem like they'll be hard to get. At least thinking as a weak player =p

I just started playing again last week, so I'm pretty excited to try out the new changes. I'm currently way underleveled compared to most of the people still playing in my city though, so it's going to be a while before I can actually do much with the gyms.

gutshot

Are battles still stupid button mashing nonsense?

Yes. This will likely always be the case since Niantic is not interested in emulating the main series games' depth. They want battles to be quick and easy.

I'm fine with it provided they have fixed the many glitches and bugs with this update.

TM's?? Sweet.

I play PoGo everyday....well...spin a few stops anyway but I've never been interested in gym battles. Looks like I won't be getting a legendary anytime soon if it revolves around multiplayer raids etc.

Sounds good though

Mengetsu

I haven't seen anyone play this game in my city in months.

I get that's it's still hugely successful, but man, when it was big, it was big.
I live in NYC and we couldn't go anywhere without someone playing. Now it's all the way dead. One or two stragglers who still play.

All these features should had been in the game at least 2 months into the games launch. Then they could of sprinkled legendary Pokémon around the rest of the year till Spring now and release all of Gen 2 Pokémon to capture. Repeat for 5 years.

AdanVC

Excellent! Hope with this update, all those freaking hackers can be stopped in some sort, it's the #1 reason I stopped playing, I used to spend tons of time battling in gyms under the freaking sun and heat only so that a damn hacker kicks me off in a minute with a 3500 Dragonite all from the comfort of it's home.

gutshot

I live in NYC and we couldn't go anywhere without someone playing. Now it's all the way dead. One or two stragglers who still play.

All these features should had been in the game at least 2 months into the games launch. Then they could of sprinkled legendary Pokémon around the rest of the year till Spring now and release all of Gen 2 Pokémon to capture. Repeat for 5 years.

Lol @ only one or two people playing Pokemon Go in NYC

Looks neat, but this is the kind of stuff that should have released with the game. The gym has been the least interesting thing about the app.

Lucifon

Until they improve the battles this is largely pointless to me. Don't see much benefit in expanding the gyms whilst the battle system is downright terrible. Glad that they're improving it, hopefully they'll get there eventually.

Finally a way to switch your Pokémon's moveset! Hopefully you can select the move.
it'll be random.

I really wouldn't want people to be able to choose. The game is already being taken over by cheaters and people who do nothing but play it all day...those of us who play fairly and regularly but who also have lives don't need another way for these people to make it less fun.

GulAtiCa

Love all the people going "too late". Ah huh, sure. Sure it is buddy. I'm sure those millions still playing think so too. lol

Anyways, I am way excited for this update

Pejo

Just give me trading and pvp

This is exactly where I'm at with the game. I re-downloaded it this weekend and caught a handful of the newer season 2 pokemon, but it still suffers from the same old problem of nothing to do if you hate the gym system and/or caught everything you can catch in your area.

I was hoping the Gym changes would be more substantial than what we're getting, though it's a step in the right direction. I still find them the least fun part of the game.

Top Bottom