• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 controller: touchpad + share button + dualshock

deadlast

I've been speculating that all along. Just sort of disappointed that i'm not seeing any break-apart mock ups nor ones that include possible LED positional trackers (which would be replacements for the Move orbs) as have been alluded to previously

I think it is the only logical way to move forward. (no pun intended)

onQ123

Just considering the possibility that 'in place of Start Select and PS' could be only in terms of function rather than position.

Straight handles would allow the analogues to be further to the middle, leaving space below for a chunky touch pad.

Allow me to bestow this glorious artwork upon you.

cql94fo.png

TpavFTa.png

Think of all the possibilities!

i-am-legend.gif

small touch pad is all that's needed a keypad is not needed voice commend will be all that's needed for number inputs if they are ever needed in a game.

Google Voice Search using the PlayStation Eye Mic Array

joeblow

New one for the new page:

ZElmXbr.png

Larger version - Comparison with the PS3 controller

• The touch pad is clickable, click anywhere for start click bottom left for select (similar to the Macbook's touch pad).
  • Wider with longer handles.
  • Share button.
  • New shoulder buttons.
Great job, but the Share and Home buttons need to be switched somehow. I know that Home is part of the new touch pad, but I don't want to relearn current muscle memory.

small touch pad is all that's needed a keypad is not needed voice commend will be all that's needed for number inputs if they are ever needed in a game.

I may have exaggerated the size that I was originally thinking of by quite a bit. But I think it's a better position IF they intend to use if for game related things and not just menus, we'll see.

Mista Koo

I wonder how many professional writers spend their time lurking on GAF.

They should pay us royalties for everything sourced here.
Well Kotaku has Evilore's permission to post anything there.

Great job, but the Share and Home buttons need to be switched somehow. I know that Home is part of the new touch pad, but I don't want to relearn current muscle memory.
There's no home button, that's just the Playstation logo. Couldn't fit it in with the info we had.

onQ123

As long as the standard or option is bluetooth, cool. But I think/hope what onQ meant was a push to talk button?

If so I agree if not, then I don't know.

what else would a talk button be? the controller isn't going to talk when you press the button lol.

onQ123

Wii U has a mic, 360 included one so.... Wait isn't PS4 supposed to come with a camera? I think i read it in one of the leaks.

if the console is going to have built in Speech Recognition I would guess that it will have some kinda mic that comes standard, & PlayStation Eye already has a pretty good Mic Array so I'm sure the new one will be even better & hopefully it will come with the PS4.

Rumour: PS4 Getting Speech Recognition?

As it’s a bit quiet I thought I would have a nose round LinkedIn and see if there’s any juicy jobs postings. Turns out there is, regardez la liste des emplois.

Sony Computer Entertainment America’s Research and Development department has a summer internship opportunity available. This intern will work within the Acoustic Analysis Group and the team is looking for motivated and enthusiastic students who will contribute to the voice recognition system and technologies for the PlayStation platforms.

As the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita do not have a ‘voice recognition system’ then it’s a pretty safe assumption this can only be for a future PlayStation product.

The job listing was posted on March 29, 2012.

Also lurking around on LinkedIn is a job listing for Zindagi Games, the chaps behind Medieval Moves and Sports Champions.

They describe themselves as ‘A 2nd Party Video Game Studio working on PS3 and next generation home console’ so it looks like they are on board the good ship Orbis as well.

if the console is going to have built in Speech Recognition I would guess that it will have some kinda mic that comes standard, & PlayStation Eye already has a pretty good Mic Array so I'm sure the new one will be even better & hopefully it will come with the PS4.

Rumour: PS4 Getting Speech Recognition?

Ugh

I mean, I can understand why Sony wants it, with the massive success it's been for Microsoft with the Kinect. /sarcasm

onQ123

Ugh

I mean, I can understand why Sony wants it, with the massive success it's been for Microsoft with the Kinect. /sarcasm

New Consoles, more processing power , maybe chips specially made for voice recognition & bigger data base for the voice commends.

what's the problem?

did you see the video I made using the PlayStation Eye with Google Search?

Google's voice recognition is almost at human level, & if Sony is doing this as part of the PS4 they can have a pretty big voice commend library so devs can just attach them to actions.

I just think the controller needs a touch to talk button.

Ashes

Banned
Android arcade games devices are becoming a thing. I reckon Sony has to counter that with android emulation to some level..

edit: though, I guess, if that was their mentality, they would had done so already with vita.

Ainaurdur

PlayStation Eye already has a pretty good Mic Array so I'm sure the new one will be even better & hopefully it will come with the PS4.

I know someone who uses his PS Eye with his computer to voice chat in Skype. Sounds alright. A bit of background noise though.

New Consoles, more processing power , maybe chips specially made for voice recognition & bigger data base for the voice commends.

what's the problem?

did you see the video I made using the PlayStation Eye with Google Search?

Google's voice recognition is almost at human level, & if Sony is doing this as part of the PS4 they can have a pretty big voice commend library so devs can just attach them to actions.

I just think the controller needs a touch to talk button.

I'm just not convinced voice commands are the least bit appealing to most people. I own an iPhone 5 and barely give two shits about Siri. A check of the iPhone threads indicate I'm not alone.

Meelow

Banned
I was lurking these threads and finally decided to say something. I compared my PS2 and PS3 controller today, and I finally relized why I like my PS2 controller more, it's bigger, they made the DS3 smaller than DS2 and I hope the DS4 is at least the same size as the DS2...Or bigger.

These touchpad rumors can hopefully mean it's bigger.

Servbot24

Banned
ps4-mockup-2.png

Took another stab trying to simplify things a bet and taking some other ideas from others (liked roboplato's select/start location!)

My fav of the thread so far.

IGN has a contest going to mock up PS4 and XB3. The prize is kind lame (gaming headset) but whatevs, I'm going have a go at it and the lot of ya should too.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
My fav of the thread so far.

IGN has a contest going to mock up PS4 and XB3. The prize is kind lame (gaming headset) but whatevs, I'm going have a go at it and the lot of ya should too.

Going back I'd have to say that's my favorite too. Just slightly longer grips and it'll be perfect for what I want in a controller. It looks totally official and realistic.

Duxxy3

So i bought a ps2-ps3 adapter and a dual shock 2 and for any game that will let me use it, i completely prefer it to the dual shock 3. The analog sticks are tighter and the R2/L2 buttons are not complete shit. If they just add the touchpad, make it wireless and do nothing else i would be completely content with it as the PS4 controller (really i wouldn't even mind a wired version).

Share button's disappointing and disgusting. Hopefully there will be a choice to block social media connection, and if it's on the screen, delete or change the button altogether, for people who are not interested in it.

Drencrom

Share button's disappointing and disgusting. Hopefully there will be a choice to block social media connection, and if it's on the screen, delete or change the button altogether, for people who are not interested in it.

You don't have to use it, you know.

I think it would be pretty cool to be able to share ingame screenshots with PSN-friends and stuff.

SonnyBoy

Still holding out some hope (even tho I know it won't happen) that Sony will make the face of the pad modular. Allow those of us who prefer the 360 layout to move the components, it'd best the best of both worlds. But... It won't happen. The controller is such an intricate part of the gaming experience, we should have more quality options. But, if the PS4 ends up being the best option, I'll suck it up and adapt.

This image is such bullshit though. The guy in the gif holds the controller purposely wrong to begin with and does exaggerated movement so as to make it slip out of his hands. This never happens in real life, unless you want it to.

That's the point of the gif. He isn't saying it's hard to hold. He is making an exaggeration of the "complaints" that people have about the DS3. In reality they don't know how to properly hold it.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Maybe the controller has a camera on it and it is used in conjunction with the other camera that comes with the system.

Hence the term "dual camera" being tossed around.

Dual camera = stereo camera.

There's no sign of any camera on the controller, either around the touchpad as in the 'eyepad' patent or ala the wiimote.

Mets39

This is excactly why i don't want a new touch screen in the middle of the DS4.

They should stick with the DS3 buttons but with a more ergonomic design, better suited for the anatomy of the hand. Make the triggers on L2 and R2 and keep the analog sticks textured.

IIRC that gif was made by Dot50cal (a gaffer) and it was purely a joke.

Dual camera = stereo camera.

There's no sign of any camera on the controller, either around the touchpad as in the 'eyepad' patent or ala the wiimote.

Well there is the weird glossy section on the back joins up with the touchpad. It could just be that it's part of the button and there's no upper 'bezel'.
You're right there's no sign of a wiimote style camera but it's not like we have a good view of where that would be if there is one, and there's also an out there chance of Leap Motion style dual cameras under the glass facing the user.

Who puts the middle of their thumb over the stick?

First time I've seen someone use the middle of their thumb with a dualshock, only the top part of the thumb should rest on the stick.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
That makes sense. But what about this patent/image that says "depth camera"

It's just a patent :) The last two years they've been patenting all kinds of different interface stuff, but not all of it's going to get into the final product. In fact most won't, I'm sure.

kvn

Controller related threads and the subsequent posts about ergonomics and how everyone holds his controller are always among the most retarded discussions I follow on this board.

I'd be fine with a streamlined version of the recently leaked controller from the dev-kit pic.

Mandoric

Banned
Google's voice recognition is almost at human level

In English. It's fucking miserable in Japanese and doesn't seem to be all that hot in Euro languages.

And that's online with access to a huge corpus. It'll be notably worse offline and limited to PS4 firmware size.

Top Bottom