• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how bad is the Switch stock situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Ravn

Banned
SpainGAF here. I witness a woman ask for a Switch at the largest local general retailer here (El Corte Inglés) and they told her they were back-ordered since May.

Weird, because you can just go and pick it up in the store in other places.

Ashhong

Finally gave in, skipped the Wii-U so hoping there'll be a proper virtual console eventually. Picked up a Switch and LoZ, fucked up putting my tempered glass screen protector on, going to pick up another one tomorrow (it wasn't positioned right 1st time, as I lifted it to reposition, dust got underneath and stuck to the adhesive side)..I'm in the middle of a renovation so dust is a bit of a problem, going to find somewhere cleaner to try again.

Are you in USA? Most screen protector companies on Amazon will send you a new one if you fuck up. I like TechArmor. Lifetime warranty and will send you a new one no questions asked. Also the trick is to apply it in a bathroom just after you've taken a hot shower

Wow, still available
Just came in here to say this. I'm sure the prime only stipulation is slowing down the sales but still. Guess they're making sure people are gonna buy Splatoon!
My area Targets sold their Friday sales ad Switches earlier this week lol. Guess it wasn't mandated to hold them

Daaaang. My best buy received a shitload. Also a parent walked up to me skeptical on a Switch for their child and I sold him on it. Where's my commission Nintendo

I managed to snag 2 - one for myself and one for my cousin as a graduation gift (sadly his party is tomorrow and Prime shows delivery for Sunday)

soooooooon

Yeah, the Switch is well stocked at my Best Buy here in Tampa, too. Seems like today is the day to grab one of you want it.

Seems like there was a pretty good restock. Switch was completely sold out at my local best buy by the minute they opened, though. Checked target and wal-mart: also sold out. The Switch is real difficult to find around the Los Angeles, Hollywood, Burbank area. There was a line of 20+ people outside best buy when I got there.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
My Best Buy had 5; maybe Switches'll be easy to get going forward?

They were out of Bayonetta Amiibo, though..

They have been saving up for big batches to drop when games like Kart and Splat drop. Inbetween has been a drip feed.

I wouldn't project anything off of today's stock as I don't think regular flow will be at the same amount.

Waited outside of Best Buy for 4 hours with the last hour being excruciating due to the heat. There were only two of us until around 30 minutes before the store opened, then the number grew to like six. We walk in and there are mountains of Switches available. Almost an hour later there were still a ton left. I could have just walked in at opening and picked one up. I really regret not just sleeping in.

The guy I waited with though was a good fella, and I'm hoping to get his friend code if he remembers to email me. So I guess it wasn't a total waste.

Went to go pick up Splatoon 2 and Puyo Puyo earlier today at Best Buy and noticed they had like 9 grey switches behind the counter, in Cedar Hill TX btw. Seems like Nintendo is pumping out consoles for Splatoon 2.

Zedark

For GermanGAF: I took a look around Heidelberg, and the Saturn had 5 or 6 Splatoon 2 bundles available, and a number of Neon consoles as well (don't know a quantity) as of two hours ago. The local Gamestop also has those two SKUS available, don't know more precise quantity for either.

Finally nabbed one for myself. Didn't find it in the store, but a guy on Craigslist was selling a brand new one for the same price it cost in stores ($328 after tax) so I went for it. I would've had the option to go to the target up the street from me this morning too, but according to istocknow they only received a shipment of neon units and I prefer gray, so I stuck with CL. Sure enough, it seems like the box hadn't even been opened until I met with him, so I think I lucked out finding the one guy not trying to profit from selling one. Woohoo 😀

CradleOfMan

Neo Member
Picked up a gray one after work on Friday together with Zelda and a pro controller at Best Buy in Chattanooga, TN. Was pleasantly surprised to find 4 left when I got there. Was bummed earlier in the day when I tried to get them on Amazon Prime and the stock ran out while I was checking out.

Does anyone find it worrying how hard it is to find the neon joycons? A couple of my local GameStops said they haven't even received more than one or two shipments of neon joycons since launch.

Is Nintendo purposely making this a limited item? It is super easy to get gray joycons and pro controllers, but these neon joycons have been impossible. Sucks because I really want another pair, but the red joycons I bought didn't work properly. Instead of sending them into Nintendo for repair, I stupidly returned them hoping for an exchange. :/

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Finally got one. Had to argue with multiple sales people at Walmart that they had them in stock, but they finally gave it to me.

D_prOdigy

Landed back in UK last night. Rather naively thought there should be an Argos or something within Greater Manchester that would have a system lying around but seems no dice.

BUT the Splatoon 2 bundle is surpringly in stock on the Nintendo UK site so I'm not pussyfooting around. Hope next day delivery means next day.

And Amazon Prime free trial should give me Breath of the Wild and a screen protector by the end of today.

Come on!

Mendrox

For GermanGAF: I took a look around Heidelberg, and the Saturn had 5 or 6 Splatoon 2 bundles available, and a number of Neon consoles as well (don't know a quantity) as of two hours ago. The local Gamestop also has those two SKUS available, don't know more precise quantity for either.

Switch instock everywhere in Hamburg Germany except for some Media Markts, but you can easily get it starting this week.

bman94

So I was snapchatting this image when I came into walmart today:
BREQ7pj.jpg

As I was posting it, I heard this guy ask one of the employees:
"Do you have any Switches?"
Employee: "Yes I believe we have one" (Not knowing she had 5)
Employee again:"Oh wow we got a lot of them, the new shipment most have came in"
Guy: "Can I-I...can I get two?"
Employee: "Sure"
*Proceeds to get two*
Lock it up and leaves.

So then I call my friend who owns a Switch and tell him about this, as I was talking to him another employee comes and takes ANOTHER 2 from the display. So I had to ask:
"Is that your last one?"
"Do you want it"
Me: "Uhhh, uhh, yeah sure"
I walk to the register thinking "Wtf am I doing, I just came in here for a shoe rack organizer"
Charged my debit card and now I have a Switch in my house. I know I should be responsible and return it cause I shouldn't have dropped that much money so quickly when I was TRYING to save money. I didn't get any games yet but damn that was crazy, 5 Switches gone in like 3 minutes.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
BREQ7pj.jpg

Employee again:"Oh wow we got a lot of them, the new shipment most have came in"
*Proceeds to get two*
Lock it up and leaves.

So then I call my friend who owns a Switch and tell him about this, as I was talking to him another employee comes and takes ANOTHER 2 from the display. So I had to ask:
"Is that your last one?"
"Do you want it"
I walk to the register thinking "Wtf am I doing, I just came in here for a shoe rack organizer"
Charged my debit card and now I have a Switch in my house. I know I should be responsible and return it cause I shouldn't have dropped that much money so quickly when I was TRYING to save money. I didn't get any games yet but damn that was crazy, 5 Switches gone in like 3 minutes.

YOLO dude enjoy it

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The key is how much stock did they hold for Splat 2 launch. If they held like a ton of stock just for the Splat 2 launch, and that sells out within a week welp. Doesn't bode well for restock.

I bought a bundle through Gamestop without a problem. It took a week to get in, but that was it.

It cost $500 bucks, which seemed steep until I found out I could return everything I didn't want in the bundle for in-store credit. I purchased Splatoon 2, a memory card, a screen guard and a pro controller with my credit.

I happened to walk into Walmart last night and saw 10 switch's a mix of gray and neon in the case, needless to say I grabbed one sat it at the counter and ran to get TP. Anecdotal I know but I hadn't seen one in the wild so it might be clearing up.

I was out during lunch and saw a few Neon Switch sets at Walmart in Tampa. Ended up picking up a pair of the neon joy cons for my grey switch fuck it lol.

Just got back from buying Splatoon and some eshop money from my local Best Buy in Nassau Park, Princeton NJ. They had 3 Switches available. Looked to be all Grey.

DSN2K

stock levels have saved me money. I'd have likely bought one already if it was as simple as walking into a store after work but it's far from that still anywhere.

BREQ7pj.jpg

*Proceeds to get two*
Lock it up and leaves.

"Is that your last one?"
"Do you want it"
Haha. That's crazy that this is still happening! Still, even though I'm a shareholder, I will never tell someone they shouldn't own a switch. The simple thing is you should. Its a great system.

Wii U...ugh...why did I buy that.

BREQ7pj.jpg

*Proceeds to get two*
Lock it up and leaves.

"Is that your last one?"
"Do you want it"

Honestly I think the fact that it was 9pm prevented them from getting snapped up super fast as well, no lie all you probably saw was ass and elbows as I ran to get what I originally came in for since they wouldn't let it leave electronics, rightly so.

Wii U...ugh...why did I buy that.

Because it's great. Like, every game worth owning for the Switch, or an equal or better equivalent so far is on Wii U. Switch no doubt has a more promising future, but if you look at the first party lineup for the Wii U vs. everything they've done since SNES, you'll find it compares really favourably.

BREQ7pj.jpg

*Proceeds to get two*
Lock it up and leaves.

"Is that your last one?"
"Do you want it"

good-good-thumb.jpg

Now, go get Zelda, start playing it, and realize you made the right decision ;)

jbueno

Just picked up a Unit last week in GameStop, last one in stock from a shipment they received an hour earlier. Also randomly walked into a Walmart and saw 6 in stock, i saw like 3 go in the 10 minutes I spent browsing.

Neith

Banned
Just picked up a Unit last week in GameStop, last one in stock from a shipment they received an hour earlier. Also randomly walked into a Walmart and saw 6 in stock, i saw like 3 go in the 10 minutes I spent browsing.

Sounds like when I got a Wii almost lol.

BREQ7pj.jpg

*Proceeds to get two*
Lock it up and leaves.

"Is that your last one?"
"Do you want it"
Wait, am I reading this right, you bought three Switches?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom