• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quake Champions: $30 for paid version, Doom Slayer added, 6 new heroes by end of 2018

120v

As someone who played a lot of Quake 3 and TA back in the day, will I find this game worth the 30? Im thinking about getting it, Watching videos it seems to be mechanically similar to the Q3 days, those were good days. But I was a 15 /16 year old buck, I'm 31 now, I fear those twitch shooting skills are long gone.

i'm assuming most people playing are late 20s/30 somethings on virtue of it being Quake or an arena shooter alone. especially with the $30 gate fee

but yeah unless you're a natural you'll be walking into it getting your teeth kicked in. kinda have to have a Rocky montage attitude about it

MissChief

As someone who played a lot of Quake 3 and TA back in the day, will I find this game worth the 30? Im thinking about getting it, Watching videos it seems to be mechanically similar to the Q3 days, those were good days. But I was a 15 /16 year old buck, I'm 31 now, I fear those twitch shooting skills are long gone.

Well, to be honest, I never expected that I would be playing Quake when I'm a 33 year old mom .. but I'm really enjoying myself. And my twitch shooting skills are gone completely, but after 10 hours, I'm starting to get better again :)

boinx

I started the game at 0.82 kdr and now I'm at 1.45 and I didn't play that much Quake back in the day, a little bit of 3 and some QL.

I'd say the community is pretty noob friendly in the sense that the player base is probably older than what you get in most shooters so you rarely if ever encounter teenage brats acting up.

But even when this game is in the state that it is currently in (meaning buggy as hell) it's still like crack to me, feels really good to go back to this type of game. All the popular shooters these days seem all so tiresome compared to this.

Fugu

Well that's a relief. What a dumb mechanic that was.

I've played Quake consistently for years and my KDR/win rate is 3:1. As it is right now, the game is far more tooled to beginners than it is to experienced players except insofar as a good percentage of your games are likely to contain one (or rarely two or more) player that's simply not on your level because they came from QL.

The vast majority of guys out there haven't been playing arena shooters this whole time and are either very rusty or have no experience at all with the genre. The few people that have been playing Quake this whole time are relatively rare and stand out instantly because they know what they're doing and their score reflects that.

I honestly think right now the matchmaking for me is a total dice roll wherein if I'm the only experienced player I'm going to win and if I get matched against another experienced player it's basically a duel with 4-6 other players. The amount of games I have where there are more than two experienced players has to be under 10% right now. I have to believe that, since I am the only experienced player in a lot of my games, that a significant percentage of games are being contested by inexperienced players unfettered by the presence of people like me who come directly from QL's incredibly small player base.

Fugu

Lmao! What in the hell did they do to this game..
They fixed this today.

What this is is another example of them ignoring how QL did something for no good reason and then coming around to the QL solution in an ass-backwards way. It happened with rockets, it's happening with LG, and it's going to happen with RG.

boinx

Yeah LG seems to be working as it should now, at least I feel like my aim with it is back to my QL level XD

The LG is better, you actually have to aim now.

My K/D pretty much has stayed the same since I started. I started with around .9 and now I just hover around 1. Some games I do really well then other games I do poor and it knocks it back down.

My DM stats are pretty horrible though. I'm 1-24 on it, lol. I don't even try duel because I'll get destroyed.

C0C6C99F4FF666BAD2B5E6F473D4CD217F350A0F

boinx

The LG is better, you actually have to aim now.

My K/D pretty much has stayed the same since I started. I started with around .9 and now I just hover around 1. Some games I do really well then other games I do poor and it knocks it back down.

My DM stats are pretty horrible though. I'm 1-24 on it, lol. I don't even try duel because I'll get destroyed.

I think we might have been in a couple matches at the same time.

And since we posting stats, here's mine.

boinx

By the way, are there any sites that show the "blueprint" of the maps ? So you can study the maps a bit ?

I think there should be a layout of blood covenant somewhere since it's an old map but you could just set up a custom game and study the maps that way too.

Edit: found dm6 aka blood covenant but bear in mind, this is the Q3 of if which is a bit different.

Uriah

What do you guys think of the Lightning gun now that its functioning as it's supposed to? Honestly, it seems kinda weak.

Fugu

What do you guys think of the Lightning gun now that its functioning as it's supposed to? Honestly, it seems kinda weak.
I don't think it's functioning as it's supposed to. I am pretty sure this current solution goes too far and that the game is now not accurately registering hits on the edges of the hitbox. There seems to be a lot of errors when either or both people involved in the exchange are moving quickly.

I play a very LG heavy style in TDM. On QL, about 35% of my kills were from LG while on QC over 50% of them are. It's not really relevant, but this imbalance can be attributed to the shorter weapon spawns in QC and the fact that the rail still doesn't really seem to work right.

Because I have like, 10 years of stats to go on I can tell you right now that the LG is, at the very least, not working how it did in QL/Q3A: In QL my lifetime LG accuracy is around 35%, playing against mostly strong players, whereas on QC it's 31% playing against mostly weak players. I didn't do any wiggling to inflate my accuracy, and even if I did it would only further prove my point that something not right is happening.

I am doubtful that this is an LG-specific problem, however, because my accuracy is down across the board. I would say that right now the rocket launcher is working pretty close to how it should be, as are the shotguns, but there are issues with just about everything else.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Y'all may not be fans of 4chan, (and certainly they're not fans of neogaf), but for what it's worth they have a Quake Champions community over there known as /arena/.

Just a heads up in case things continue falling apart.

120v

even with decent health and armor LG would just tear me up right away at times

haven't been playing because of server issues so i'll have to see for myself. but i can understand why they'd nerf it

Ombra

Why not just Doom or Doom Marine, Slayer sounds stupid af.
I'm gonna have to agree Doom Slayer sounds pretty shit and is an assault to the sensibilities of anyone who has played any iteration. Thats some focus group bullshit.

llien

Quake Champions to Receive Largest Update to Date

This week on Dec. 14, Quake Champions will receive one of its largest updates to date, delivering new content and features including a new Champion, Keel, who returns from Quake 3 Arena and Quake Live; a new arena for Duel and 2v2, Vale of Pnath; Ranked Play and Leaderboards; plus a ton of festive, holiday-themed gear and maps for a limited time.

• NEW CHAMPION - Keel is Back! Quake 3 Arena's resurrected war machine Keel will join the roster of heroes next week, bringing a Grenade Swarm active ability that allows him launch a barrage of grenades and the Stockpile passive ability, which reduces the cooldown on Grenade Swarm with every ammo box he picks up. Keel will be free for players who own the full Champions Pack and available for purchase using Platinum via the in-game store for everyone else.
  • NEW DUEL MAP - Vale of Pnath - Duel mode's pure test of skill has ignited competition in Early Access, and next week players will get another arena dedicated to 1v1 and 2v2. Vale of Pnath is a wickedly vertical shrine to the Elder God Ithagnal built atop treacherous acid-filled caverns. This new map is free for all players of the game - get in there and face off with your friends!
  • RANKED PLAY AND LEADERBOARDS - Quake Champions is the most intense FPS competition on any platform, and now Early Access players will be able to take their skills to the next level and easily see where they rank against the best in the world.
  • HOLIDAY CELEBRATION - Celebrate the holidays with specially themed items including animated Champion shaders and festive weapons shaders, holiday decorations on Burial Chamber and Corrupted Keep, holiday hat vanities for Champions, and limited edition profile icons and nameplates.
  • CROSSHAIR CUSTOMIZATION - One of the most requested features from the community will go live with the December update, allowing players to choose from 40 different crosshair options and use a slider to select the color of their choice.
  • Quake Champions is available now in Early Access on Steam and via Bethesda.net. Players can jump in immediately by purchasing the Champions Pack, which unlocks all current and future Champions as well as other exclusive in-game bonuses for only £19.99. A free-to-play version of the game will launch in the future

Techpowerup

Mooreberg

After initially playing some of this on Bethesda Launcher I got a bit tired of 11GB "patches" and uninstalled it. Bethesda emailed me a key for the free version on Steam (I thought Steam was only getting the paid version) but there doesn't seem to be a ton of people playing it? TDM matches are topping out at 3v3 and that has to be a more popular mode than Sacrifice.

bee

certainly a nice patch overall but.....

Scalebearer
Forward Acceleration added, increasing from the base speed of 300 to 520 ups
Scalebearer’s strafe max speed has been reduced from 500 to 480 ups

that's like a sick joke

mike4001_

Haven't played in a while due to the complete absence of proper Matchmaking.

Is this in already?

I just want to play against player which are roughly at my (low) skill level.

boinx

The lightning gun sucks now :(

In other news, rocket launcher dominates.

And now LG is good.
What happened to the gore update?

Presumably coming later this year which I don't mind. Technical fixes, balance changes and new maps should take priority imo.

Haven't played in a while due to the complete absence of proper Matchmaking.

Is this in already?

I just want to play against player which are roughly at my (low) skill level.

Matchmaking has always been in but since the player counts are quite low, the chances of matches getting filled only with players at the same skill level are low too.

Leonidas

Redeemed a key for the Bethesda launcher recently, any way I can confirm that I have the Champions Edition key and not the F2P key?

Hubble

I love the concept of bringing back classic Quake but man, this game is so ugly and graphically poor that I can’t play it. They really should have had better graphics

MiguelItUp

I love the concept of bringing back classic Quake but man, this game is so ugly and graphically poor that I can’t play it. They really should have had better graphics
You think so? I always thought it looked fine. To me, there are/were other important issues with the game that were holding it back.

Top Bottom