• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quake Champions: $30 for paid version, Doom Slayer added, 6 new heroes by end of 2018

luka

Loves Robotech S1
chose advanced as my skill (seemed like a good compromise to get me a decent number of matches) and haven't managed to get into a game yet. boo

i guess i'll go play some quake live

if they stick to matchmaking instead of servers, they need to get rid of crap like sacrifice and just put in modes that people actually want to play

TikeMyson

It seems arena shooters are pretty much dead? I thought QC would be an instant hit and totally crush Lawbreakers. But the numbers are pretty bad. Lawbreakers got 3000 players immediately at release. Quake was at 1072 peak. Right now there are 338 playing Lawbreakers and 434 Quake Champions. Of course there are some people still playing through the bethesda launcher, but I doubt that many stick to that crap.
Of course they didn't even fix some major problems like the stutterings. I had stuttering problems in the beta and stopped playing it around April or May. The loading times wre also ridiculous. It took me around 8 minutes to get into a match. Now it is 4 months later and nothing has changed. People want quick games, no matter if it's early access or not. I mean look at PUBG. It's pretty easy to jump in. Start the game, click on play and you're immediately in a game. Nobody wants to wait 3 - 5 Minutes getting into a match in QC.

Overall I requested a refund now. I'm not willing to give Bethesda my money and wait that the hopefully fix their game one day. Once they fixed it, they get my money... but under this circumstances? Simply no.

I like it so far, but the que times are killing it for me. Waiting 3-4 mins for a game then when you get one, not everyone readies up and you get connection timed out, bleh. I’ll try to play later at a better time and not 3 am pst.

So from playing the tutorial and 1 team death match round

Very Good
- I can pay a one time fee and unlock every character and never have to worry about non-cosmetic F2P garbage.

Good
- The game looks nice and runs nice*
- The characters all have unique designs, but their abilities are subtle enough that you can basically just pick who you want to play as and not what niche you need on your team.
- The game seems to hand you cosmetics at a pretty decent rate, and the ones in the game are cool, mostly a mix of Quake 3 costumes (which I'm not at all familiar with) and some random joke stuff like football Quake Guy
- BJ and Doomguy are fun crossover characters who fit in the game. I basically just alternate between Doomguy and Quake Guy because those (and BJ) are the only characters I know in the game.
- Doomguy's cosmetics are awesome
- It's fun

Meh
- The hit detection on Doomguy's ult is pretty bad, but when you get a kill it's very satisfying.
- It takes a good 2-5 minutes to find a match, but that might just because it's an early access F2P game that costs 30 dollars
- I have no idea who the majority of the roster is, but that's not the game's fault. Maybe it leans a little too heavy on Q3?
- They're going to probably add the Fallout guy or the Dragonborn at some point, even if they don't quite match and the Dragonborn with guns is eh...
- Once the double XP week is over, it's going to be pretty slow for XP.
- The menu is a little overwhelming with all the flashy stuff and buttons and options without good tooltips
- There's no tutorial portion for rocket jumping or strafing or any real advance movement that is part of Quake. I think they're adding more advanced tutorials, though

Bad
- The prices of cosmetics are absurd. The Q1 rocket launcher (the only cosmetic I want) costs slightly over the 10 dollar point amount, meaning you need to drop 20 dollars into the pool to get it. There's no real value for people who don't want to drop as much money as they paid for the entire game on a couple of gun reskins. As someone who isn't really against dropped a few dollars for a cosmetic (I was willing to go to about 2 dollars for the Original), this is disappointing.
- Keep the stupid point coin stuff to mobile games, thanks. Charge me actual dollar amounts for things.
- *The game lags every so often, even in a not quite full server, but this isn't my computer because the tutorial ran fine.
- The quests are convoluted and tedious to unlock for what amounts to "blow up 10 people"

Very Bad
- It takes 5+ minutes to load into a map. That's ridiculous and game destroying if they don't fix that ASAP.

It seems arena shooters are pretty much dead? I thought QC would be an instant hit and totally crush Lawbreakers. But the numbers are pretty bad. Lawbreakers got 3000 players immediately at release. Quake was at 1072 peak. Right now there are 338 playing Lawbreakers and 434 Quake Champions. Of course there are some people still playing through the bethesda launcher, but I doubt that many stick to that crap.
Of course they didn't even fix some major problems like the stutterings. I had stuttering problems in the beta and stopped playing it around April or May. The loading times wre also ridiculous. It took me around 8 minutes to get into a match. Now it is 4 months later and nothing has changed. People want quick games, no matter if it's early access or not. I mean look at PUBG. It's pretty easy to jump in. Start the game, click on play and you're immediately in a game. Nobody wants to wait 3 - 5 Minutes getting into a match in QC.

Overall I requested a refund now. I'm not willing to give Bethesda my money and wait that the hopefully fix their game one day. Once they fixed it, they get my money... but under this circumstances? Simply no.

I suspected the numbers from the Bethesda launcher weren't great just due to queue times but now that it's on Steam we have some hard numbers.

As sad as it is I think it's time to accept there just is no market for these types of shooters anymore. I grew up on games like Quake, UT and Tribes but players these days are playing games like PUBG, CSGO, and Siege and not only do games like Lawbreakers and Quake Champions require aiming and movement skills that they just haven't been exposed to, but their general archtype just seems outdated.

Now that the numbers are out it'll get worse as people just spread them around and cause even more people on the fence to not buy in. After just going through this with Lawbreakers it's a bummer to see it happen again so soon.

I can only hope Midair (upcoming Tribes spiritual successor) avoids the same issue and doesn't have their player count public.

SandTorso

I really enjoyed the closed beta, but man I'm considering dropping the $30 just to avoid using that God awful Bethesda launcher. I had to redownload the game almost every time there was a patch.

It also wouldn't let me play this morning either. Launcher just froze when o clicked the quake icon.,

Accoun

Commander Keen a possible new character?
15034993503956msw5.png

During the beta I had stuttering and long load times, but that was only during the first play through of the map, subsequent map loads were quick and no stuttering. I got the impression it was doing some shader related stuff on the fly, but once done, its done. When new patches were released it reset this and had to do them again. Kind of hoped their would have been a better way for this release ready.

Anyhoo I really enjoyed the alpha, I might just have to buy this.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Commander Keen would be fine and hilarious.

Just keep Fallout, Elder Scrolls, and Dishonored out. Nothing wrong with those series but they have nothing to do with id software's history or quake lol. They still have plenty of q3 characters to choose from and can introduce new characters.

Athena for sure is gonna be revealed at some point. She has been in multiple leaks now.

51Wr4DwKGLL.jpg

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
This looks like the DOOM multiplayer. But without a fun singleplayer campaign.

Its a mix of different Quake games. Characters have different abilities, movement, and health/armor points but all share core gameplay. Doom multiplayer is its own thing. The art style/aesthetics are kinda similar but thats bout it.

There's an F2P version if you get curious to try it.

Movement is so fucking good and pure Quake, I've missed it in shooters since (although I'm absolute garbage with the game now).

These wait times for matches are awful though, if they persist I'm considering asking for a refund.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I like it so far, but the que times are killing it for me. Waiting 3-4 mins for a game then when you get one, not everyone readies up and you get connection timed out, bleh. I’ll try to play later at a better time and not 3 am pst.

i never ran into this problem in the open beta, so i don't know what changed. the 'choose your skill' thing is new i believe, so they might have some new matchmaking algorithm in place that is screwing things up.

otherwise, the actual load times, memory usage and overall performance seem improved over the beta on my system. even taking account the busted queue times, it -still- takes way too long to get into a match, but hopefully they're listening to feedback and address it. i do appreciate the rematch option though.

The que times have improved since I'm not playing at the dead of night now. I played for around two hours now and my times were around two minutes on average. It's still no ideal, but it was much better than last night.

bee

there's definitely some connectivity issues with the new build or steam, couldn't join a game last night at all and it timed out a few times tonight also, this steam version runs noticeably better than the bethesda launcher version though, it's very nice in that regard now

i like the twitch integration, easy to use and quick. not played too much of the new maps but they seem pretty nice, certainly better than lockbox, needs new modes though, ca and ctf to be precise

rockets seem better but there's still the odd zero damage one, the nailgun however is still a complete piece of shit, get rid of it or the tri bolt and bring back the plasma!

oh ye, the doom guys ability is ridiculous

ChrisV

Was able to finally get into a couple games last night. Got absolutely destroyed but had fun doing it. Can't wait to play some more!

luka

Loves Robotech S1
rockets seem better but there's still the odd zero damage one, the nailgun however is still a complete piece of shit, get rid of it or the tri bolt and bring back the plasma!

yeah the hit reg does seem screwy on projectile weapons sometimes. the nail gun seems a lot less effective then plasma in most situations, maybe due to the lack of splash damage? haven't used the tribolt enough to get a feel for it, but it doesn't seem like a good replacement for the gl.

on a positive note, new maps (especially church of azathoth) are cool and good.

phant0m

Both QC and LawBreakers suffer from a lack of bots. People can scoff at having bots in a competitive shooter, but I spend TONS of hours playing q3a and UT ‘99/‘04 against bots. Learn the maps, learn the weapons, etc. Can’t believe a feature that was standard over 10 years ago isn’t available at all now, but I guess it’s hard to make AI for more complex game types?

MiguelItUp

This looks like the DOOM multiplayer. But without a fun singleplayer campaign.

May look like it, certainly doesn't feel like it. Feels like Quake.

It's way, way, waaaaaaay better than Doom's multiplayer. Not even a comparison.

I wholeheartedly agree. I played DOOM's multiplayer and enjoyed it in the end for what it was. But it's hard to ignore the fact that it had a hard time knowing what it was, it was a mess.

But this, this feels like Quake. I know the whole champion + ability thing can be a bit of a turn-off, but it ain't so bad IMO. Not to mention there will be a time where you can remove the ability and character differences to just make it straight up Quake multiplayer, at least from what I remember from interviews.

I'm really excited to see what they do in the future. I'm already enjoying my time with it quite a bit.

So is there any way for me to get the Ruby skin for Nyx without buying a new processor? Like, is the code for the skin separate? I'd love to have it for her.

rainz

Is F2P only for people who were in the beta? trying to play with a friend
Yeah it is but only at the moment. Beta players can play ftp but only through bethesda launcher. Eventually everyone could play ftp when it releases.

Game has been through its ups and downs so far in regards to matchmaking and stuff but they seem to have cleaned it up. After beta for months I am definitely in to buy the full thing.. Damn fun to have a super fast arena shooter again.

Only downside is it makes playing OW feel really weird afterwards haha

Both QC and LawBreakers suffer from a lack of bots. People can scoff at having bots in a competitive shooter, but I spend TONS of hours playing q3a and UT ‘99/‘04 against bots. Learn the maps, learn the weapons, etc. Can’t believe a feature that was standard over 10 years ago isn’t available at all now, but I guess it’s hard to make AI for more complex game types?

I was just about to ask if this game had Bots since I've been having trouble finding good matches in Lawbreakers. The matchmaking in that game pairs based on combined skill of the team so I end up with awful teammates because my overall stats are really high. It's super frustrating and had me wanting to enjoy the game against bots since that's a feature I've always used extensively in games.

I know why people see it as unnecessary, much like single player modes in fighting games (which I also use extensively) but I love being able to play anywhere any time independent of whether or not other people are still playing the game years down the line. I still go back and play tons of old FPS games against bots, and while it may not be as good as playing with real people, it's absolutely better than never getting to play those games again as would be the case if they didn't have Bots.

I really hope it makes a comeback in multiplayer shooters, especially these days when it's so hard to find success in the genre and a feature like this could allow some people to enjoy the game even if there's nobody else online to play with.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
But this, this feels like Quake. I know the whole champion + ability thing can be a bit of a turn-off, but it ain't so bad IMO. Not to mention there will be a time where you can remove the ability and character differences to just make it straight up Quake multiplayer, at least from what I remember from interviews.

i have actually come to like the champion system quite a bit and its really not as broken or unbalanced as i assumed it would be. it doesn't force you to drastically change your playstyle, but it does force you to be at least aware of what the other guy can do.
want to chase down a galena? don't get too close or you'll eat a totem. fighting a nyx near a mega thats about to pop and she phase shifts? maybe it's a bad idea to sit on the spawn point - pump some rockets into the thing instead. fairly small things, but it does add some flavor to the fights.
i don't know how things will evolve and develop down the line (if the game can survive), but my opinion is mostly positive. it's not just quake 3 again, for better or worse, and i'm fine with that.

random other thoughts - default fov is kind of absurd. dropped it down to 115 immediately

-as expected, people really like doomslayer. in the few games i played they outnumbered other chars 2:1. could only laugh when my first match was against and entire room of them

-i still hate the new railgun design. hopefully selling my unwanted cosmetics will get me enough shards to buy the q2 skin :p

I enjoyed my time very much playing the beta. However, it's impossible to find matches right now. I asked for a refund, but I'll definilly re-buy the starter pack once the F2P version is out.

agc

I got a beta key for this back in June but forgot to redeem it due to a lot of personal events happening. Tried to redeem it last night but it says invalid, so I guess I'm out of luck until they open up the F2P to everyone?

Uriah

Did anyone else notice that they really toned down the gore? Characters ragdoll more often than exploding into gibs.

Accoun

Did anyone else notice that they really toned down the gore? Characters ragdoll more often than exploding into gibs.

Compared to the beta? If compared to Q3, then yes - because this changed when going from Quake 3 to Live. They did it because with F2P the game wasn't age-limited like a purchase was. Or something like that. I know that the fanmade replay viewer added it back as an option, but that's all.

luka

Loves Robotech S1

word is that there is 'improved' gibbing tech in the works. it wouldn't surprise me if it is for non-f2p users only though.

Fugu

For anyone who only played the closed beta, I can say that the state of the game has improved significantly in the early access patch. The hit registration on projectiles has gone from highly dubious to pretty alright, and the LG more or less works like it's supposed to. The game's performance has just generally gotten significantly better as well.

I can't use the Tri-bolt at all. Is it for direct damage or is it supposed to be used as grenade launcher? I suck with the thing.

Bydobob

Getting tons of stuttering here, makes aiming impossible at times. Game is awesome fun otherwise, classic Q3 for the most part. Yet to have a FFA or Sacrifice though in 15+ games and players are always voting for the same maps.

I like the new gladiator skin for Ranger. Makes him look like a grizzled battle hardened version of the original instead of the weird meathead that the current default one is. Even comes with the axe!

abracadaver

Just bought it on Steam. Haven't played the betas.

Had a lot of fun with Quake Live a few months ago even though I sucked at it.

Hope they bring the gore back soon!

Is there a classic gamemode without the champion stuff?

Fugu

I was hoping that because the game asks you your skill level at launch that they had implemented some kind of skill-based matchmaking.

...It would seem that that's not the case.

I can't use the Tri-bolt at all. Is it for direct damage or is it supposed to be used as grenade launcher? I suck with the thing.
I've got a relatively large amount of time in this game and I've concluded that the tri-bolt just sucks. You can use it to fire at pickups and narrow corridors but if your opponent is even remotely close to the thing you're trying to prevent them from using/going through then they're just going to get through before the explosions go off anyway.

With the starter SG and even MG being so powerful there's not really any point to having a high damage spam weapon anyway; you're better off just using whatever your starting gun is and trying to get out before bad things happen.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I was hoping that because the game asks you your skill level at launch that they had implemented some kind of skill-based matchmaking.

...It would seem that that's not the case.
Yeah, this is the type of thing that will drive hordes of people from the game if they can't offer a better new player experience.

Top Bottom