• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The state of piracy on PSP (Includes Download Numbers)

DarkMehm

Neo C. said:
The advantage of Blu-Ray. Or: Do you like to download 25 to 50 GB? :p

That's not really the issue for piraters. Look how many people downloaded Lost Odyssey from just one site (25-30GB): 27,184

wazoo

if you count the fact, those are only one site and they compare to worldwide sales of the considered game, it is terrible

PS1 had piracy, but it was local, so you exchanged between friends and at the beginning, one game was still sold for a few copies. With internet, we are talking widespread copies, only one unit can potentially go everywhere, so no need to go back in time to justify piracy

Sony can not do anything against that, price has never been a problem, games are always too expensive for the pirate, and the justification "i would not have bought it" is just the same bullshit for the beginning of this hobby

Those who are so adament about being against piracy, you do realize that piracy is how the video game industry's history is going to be preserved right?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
a reason that game developers should want to use blu-ray and fill it up with content is so that less people will actually want to pirate the software because no one wants to download 50 GB!

brilliant.

Marty Chinn said:
Those who are so adament about being against piracy, you do realize that piracy is how the video game industry's history is going to be preserved right?

i dont think we have to worry about the more important games fading away into existence. you can keep your 50 million different versions of Pac-Man for Atari. no one needs them.

Mefisutoferesu said:
Those are 1 day's worth of numbers? And you should use mininova for this little experiment, since that's the reference.

Like I said in the earlier thread, Mininova numbers don't mean anything.

MININOVA IS A SEARCH ENGINE. ALL THE STUFF ON THERE IS POSTED ON OTHER TRACKERS. MOST OF THE STUFF IS CROSS POSTED, MAKING EVERY DOWNLOAD OF ANYTHING ON MININOVA BEING REPORTED TO EVERY TRACKER OUT THERE AND THEN REPORTED BACK AS SEEDS/PEERS. OR IN SHORT: THEIR NUMBERS CAN'T BE TRUSTED

And I still fail to see the need for another thread or any of these torrent threads. Just posting a few numbers which you can't back up doesn't add to the discussion. But i guess you'll be doing one for every format.

From a private tracker all time stats.

1. Bioshock- 360
2. Odin Spehere
3. Crysis
4. Assasians Creed- 360
5. God Of war 2
6. C&C 3- PC
7. Guitar Hero 3- PS2
8. Ratchet & Clank Size matters- PSP
9. COD4- 360
10. COD4- PC

Seems that 360 is actually the most "pirated" and it still seems to sell tonz of games puts a new twist to games don't sell because of piracy IMO.

P.S It also seems single player games are more pirated, halo 3 barely makes top 20.

Neo C.

DarkMehm said:
That's not really the issue for piraters. Look how many people downloaded Lost Odyssey from just one site (25-30GB): 27,184
In the end the summary of all big games matters. Of course the hardcore pirates might download whatever they can find, though I think normal people only download smaller data. I myself hate to download things bigger than 800MB, it's pretty annoying.

i dont think its a piracy problem anymore than it is a MARKETING problem......casuals simply dont know about the games on psp.....whens the last time sony had a good viral marketing for a single psp title? (except recent GoW commercials).....they dont even market or advertise patapon for crying out loud. a real gem like patapon not getting any viral ads is just a shame.

instead of a real game commercial we just get a lame ass "DUDE GET YOUR OWN" tv spots

Danj

Rlan said:
Patapon - 112,183
Discuss.

SickBoy said:
Patapon's only $20.. how much cheaper do they need?

Kagari said:
Considering Patapon is 20 FREAKING dollars... yeah, no excuse.

Pein said:
wtf patapon is only $20 there's no reason to pirate that game

Patapon is full price over here in PAL-land. Not saying that that's a valid excuse or justification for the piracy, but maybe it explains where the numbers are coming from?

Rlan

jakershaker said:
Like I said in the earlier thread, Mininova numbers don't mean anything.

MININOVA IS A SEARCH ENGINE. ALL THE STUFF ON THERE IS POSTED ON OTHER TRACKERS. MOST OF THE STUFF IS CROSS POSTED, MAKING EVERY DOWNLOAD OF ANYTHING ON MININOVA BEING REPORTED TO EVERY TRACKER OUT THERE AND THEN REPORTED BACK AS SEEDS/PEERS. OR IN SHORT: THEIR NUMBERS CAN'T BE TRUSTED

And I still fail to see the need for another thread or any of these torrent threads. Just posting a few numbers which you can't back up doesn't add to the discussion. But i guess you'll be doing one for every format.

The number I used were not the mininova "currently downloading" numbers - they're the number of people who have downloaded THAT torrent (I think).

wazoo

frAntic_Frog said:
i dont think its a piracy problem anymore than it is a MARKETING problem......casuals simply dont know about the games on psp.....whens the last time sony had a good viral marketing for a single psp title? (except recent GoW commercials).....they dont even market or advertise patapon for crying out loud. a real gem like patapon not getting any viral ads is just a shame.

instead of a real game commercial we just get a lame ass "DUDE GET YOUR OWN" tv spots

patapon - I bought the game - is not a big seller, it is a very niche game. GOW is the kind of "justified" big seller that can be brought in piracy discussion.

Grayman

wazoo said:
if you count the fact, those are only one site and they compare to worldwide sales of the considered game, it is terrible

PS1 had piracy, but it was local, so you exchanged between friends and at the beginning, one game was still sold for a few copies. With internet, we are talking widespread copies, only one unit can potentially go everywhere, so no need to go back in time to justify piracy

Sony can not do anything against that, price has never been a problem, games are always too expensive for the pirate, and the justification "i would not have bought it" is just the same bullshit for the beginning of this hobby
Here locally internet speed hasn't increased since mid ps1 gen(people have broadband or nothing) it was the CD burners that led to PS1 disc sellers. Everyone had internet fast enough if they had the connects, no one had the burner.

and perhaps sony should just drm psp games for its next psp handheld....keys and what not for playing online and a permanent system offline ban when modified psp is found playing online.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
The government needs to crack down on pirating more and more. So many of these people deserve to be in jail right now :/

Grayman

grandjedi6 said:
The government needs to crack down on pirating more and more. So many of these people deserve to be in jail right now :/
coping ones and zeros is less of a jail-able crime them small drug offenses but I guess people in the states go to jail about that too. Although it hurts content creators jailing for piracy is unreasonable unless you are making money off it.

wazoo

frAntic_Frog said:
and perhaps sony should just drm psp games for its next psp handheld....keys and what not for playing online and a permanent system offline ban when modified psp is found playing online.

drm is stupid, everything is getting out of it in the music industry. It is like the "FBI spot" you get when you buy DVD, the only one to see them are people who buy DVD. Same for DRM, the only people who suffers from it are legal buyers.

The reason I even put CFW on my PSP was to play the God of War demo since Sony made it UMD only at the time and not for download for some really dumb reason.

Since then I've learned that I can double my battery life, load my games a million times faster, and keep a good chunk of my collection with me on one memory stick instead of carrying around a bunch of UMDs.

I'm sure I'm the exception but I still buy all my games. They all sit shrink wrapped in my collection but I still buy them. But no one can deny that CFW has some really great advantages due to the limitations of the UMD format.

wazoo

Grayman said:
coping ones and zeros is less of a jail-able crime them small drug offenses but I guess people in the states go to jail about that too. Although it hurts content creators jailing for piracy is unreasonable unless you are making money off it.

you are not copying one and zero, you are copying intellectual properties and man year's work.

"oh, mr, I did not steal the Vinci joconde, it is just a mixture of colors using some archaic painting oils put on some very old cracked wood"

dead souls said:
Piracy is a problem on all systems right? Why are PSP fans always using it as an excuse for the overall lackluster software sales on the system?

Because PSP sw sales was once strong (especially in the US). One can't stop but wonder if the declining sw sales afterwards has something to do with the increasing ease of piration, especially with the introduction of CFW and the recent Pandora Battery.

Danj said:
Patapon is full price over here in PAL-land. Not saying that that's a valid excuse or justification for the piracy, but maybe it explains where the numbers are coming from?
No such thing as budget games for PAL-land. I imported Patapon from Movietyme for £12 and still pity the chums who paid £25 ($50) for it... But someone once told me off that it was wrong to import games, because it does not help the domestic retail market...

f_elz said:
i know, but happens to software of all kinds. photoshop is pirated like crazy.

That's actually something Adobe is probably happy with. Almost no private user is going to (be able to) buy PS anyway. However the pirated versions are doing a good job making private users acquainted with the program. I'm sure that when these people eventually start working with PS professionally, many of them will buy (or their employer) the official copy of the app.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
frAntic_Frog said:

More like "DUDE GET YOUR OWN AVATAR AND BANDWIDTH" amirite?

No dudes, piracy doesn't hurt the sales yadayadayada they wouldn't buy the games anyway blahblahblah.

The numbers are horrible.

Endgegner

Isn't it easy to sue people who use torrents? I mean you can see the IP of the leechers in any torrent client. Isn't that what the record industry is doing right now? I never heard that somebody got sued for pirating a videogame, although I think there have been cases of pc developers successfuly suing people over downloading games.

Danj

monkeylite said:
But someone once told me off that it was wrong to import games, because it does not help the domestic retail market...

This is exactly the kind of bullshit that leads to region locking and companies like Sony shutting down Lik-Sang and all that kind of thing - which in turn leads to more piracy. Importing is not wrong or bad or immoral and in today's globalized market SHOULD NOT be illegal. Unfortunately there are some territories where so-called "grey imports" or "parallel imports" ARE illegal and clearly the companies would like to leverage this to cover the entire planet.

Grayman

Endgegner said:
Isn't it easy to sue people who use torrents? I mean you can see the IP of the leechers in any torrent client. Isn't that what the record industry is doing right now? I never heard that somebody got sued for pirating a videogame, although I think there have been cases of pc developers successfuly suing people over downloading games.
ISPs seem to go to end users instead of letting the pubs to them. In Canada -at least-, the service provider can email the consumer and say "hey cut it out" instead of them getting sued by rights holders.

Rlan said:
The number I used were not the mininova "currently downloading" numbers - they're the number of people who have downloaded THAT torrent (I think).

Still that number don't tell us much. It only track the amount of people who have clicked on that link from the Mininova page. Doesn't mean anything really. Until it's possible to get solid numbers from the trackers themselves on amount of finished downloads it's impossible to try to make a good guess about the amount of copies downloaded.

It's like trying to figure out how many hits a site has by comparing their google ads clicks.
(Feel free to read up on torrent, trackers, seeds, leechers, aggregators if you find it interesting)

And after that you have to weigh in newsgroups, direct downloads, ftps, im transfers and so on. As you can figure out that is impossible and is why we can't ever get solid numbers on piracy.

I repeat:

IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO GET SOLID NUMBERS ON PIRACY. THESE NUMBERS DON'T MEAN SHIT.

So feel free to discuss the topic but don't try to make guesses about how much money is lost etc because you really can't. A better and more productive discussion is whats being done to fight it, the history of piracy, copywright laws, consumer polls and more.

So write a topic about matters that actually can be discussed. Don't write (Includes download numbers) when it doesn't.

Do you REALLY think the industry would not have gotten and published the real numbers considering piracy if they could? Really? Instead all we have are approximate numbers that have be extrapolated by diffrent anti-piracy organisations(i.e. 'we don't know how many that actually pirates but here is a large number so give us money so we can protect you.

End rant :D

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
As I said, the only proper gauge is to quantify these numbers with the number of downloads of Dark Alex's custom firmware.

These numbers are suspect and really don't give a good gauge of Piracy for the console. There are well meaning people who use custom firmware for good things, but there are others that use it for illegal purposes like Emulation and Piracy of PSP games. It is these people that make up a majority and ultimately make the custom firmware users look bad.

ggp759

Banned
Piracy its driving the psp sales right now not to mention that it helps with the 360 ones. It will always exist. As long as devs delay games especially in Europe (GOW:CoO for psp being delayed to 28th of March but is available NOW in the US)people who want to play NOW and not wait almost a month will download it. I know about the localizations the censoring blah blah but maybe the devs should sort that out before releasing anywhere.

NekoFever

Neo C. said:
The advantage of Blu-Ray. Or: Do you like to download 25 to 50 GB? :p
I remember people saying that the PS2 wouldn't be pirated because no one would want to download a 4-9GB DVD image. No one will ever need more than 640kb RAM, right?

Besides the fact that very few PS3 games will come close to filling a BD, especially so if you can do what people already do with PSP ISOs and rip out all the languages. We keep hearing about how games like Uncharted have filled the disc because they have all these languages in PCM, so taking out all of them but English would drop the size dramatically.

Top Bottom