• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

Yeah, Detect Hidden is maxed, there's no way to get to them.

As best as I can guess, it's a bug; the one in Gorhart looks to be under/in a big rock to the right of the chapel, you can see where if you stand up where the Fae chick meditates all the time. The one in Klurikon is out in the blackness of the Northeast of the map, above the hunter's camp, it's the region North of Seawatch and South of the drowned forest.

At first, I thought the one in Gorhart became available after completing the story, but it didn't; and that the one in Klurikon was accessed by a path that doesn't show on the map until you walk it (like the one that led to a set piece of armor earlier), but it wasn't.

And there's no arrow on the chest on the minimap indicating it's above or below you? Interesting. I don't think I've run into that. And when you hover over it on your map, what does it tell you that it is? (ie chest, whirlpool, log etc)

And there's no arrow on the chest on the minimap indicating it's above or below you? Interesting. I don't think I've run into that. And when you hover over it on your map, what does it tell you that it is? (ie chest, whirlpool, log etc)

The one in Gorhart is a chest, and the one in Klurikon is a pile.

I'll try to take pics later.

vaelic

Banned
For the people having trouble with the FOV/camera on the PC version. I fooled around a bit with the widescreen fix but didn't really like the results. Yesterday I read this on the official boards.

link

When you use those values it runs and looks great, no fisheye, no broken cutscenes, questlog working! I'm using those values on a 16:10 1920x1200 monitor, don't ask me why and how it works but it works :)

ty

LogicStep

Check this post for screenshots and link to settings.

I tried this but it still puts the camera a little too far back for my tastes. Maybe I'm not seeing it right. I'm playing on a 1080p tv if that matters. Here are my results:

Default:
reckoning2012-02-2012p2kv3.png

POV Fix:
reckoning2012-02-20129tk0p.png

Not sure if that's how it's supposed to look.

Anyone else feel like Blink is a handicap rather than a bonus for Mage/Battlemage? Packs of Sprites and Trolls never gave me a problem with the original dodge roll, now the timing and range seem so different that I'm getting my ass handed to me, especially if I'm dumb enough to let that lagtastic standard 4th Chakram attack fly.

Respec'd for the first time from all mage to all finesse so I can do the Traveller's faction. Will probably respec again to do the Warsworn.

While I love the idea of being able to respec at any time, it really nullifies me caring about where to allocate my skill and ability points and effectively eliminates replayability.

For me this game is a good balance between Fable and Elder Scrolls. The combat has been great (albeit predictable) and I'm really enjoying the side quests, main story and the faction stories (what I've played of them, Only completed Scholia Arcana so far).

Question: Can I only assassinate with daggers and NOT faeblades?

Anyone else feel like Blink is a handicap rather than a bonus for Mage/Battlemage? Packs of Sprites and Trolls never gave me a problem with the original dodge roll, now the timing and range seem so different that I'm getting my ass handed to me, especially if I'm dumb enough to let that lagtastic standard 4th Chakram attack fly.

The chakram popup move can be interrupted.

I actually like blink a whole lot, but I do agree the timing takes some getting used to. You have to anticipate oncoming attacks well in advance to properly dodge them, whereas the roll seems to allow me to cut it a little closer. And yeah forget about dodging any attacks after the 4th part of the chakram combo...you're practically a statue out there.

Kem0sabe

After...

45 hours
3322 enemies slain
6 chicken slaughtered
6 million gold acquired
180 quests completed
6.5 million damage dealt

finally finished the game :)

Managed to complete the main quest, all of the faction quests, all the side quests i could find except for 2 (explored the entire map, secret entrances, every single lore stone set), and had 14 tasks left to complete, most of them were repeatable quests i think.

Unless i missed an entire other continent, i doubt the 200 hour number is anywhere near accurate, as i´m not a gamer with super mad rpg skillz. Even so, 45-50 hours is a good number for an rpg.

What did i think of it in the end?

I enjoyed the game but it´s a fundamentally flawed gem that sapped every last shred of willpower i could muster to reach the end of it.

Why was it a chore by the end and why do i think its flawed?

The excessive amount of combat

The map is overpopulated with enemies, and the closer to the finish, the more enemies you have to face. And face them you will, because with a few exceptions and even with stealth maxed, you will end up fighting on your way to and from quest objectives... add to that, that the enemies spawn at absurdly fast rates, grayed mobs still aggro and the aggro range is aggravatingly big.

In the end, for as much as i liked the combat, i was fucking tired of it.

Quest Design

The main quest is serviceable if predictable and unimaginative, being clearly inferior to the various faction quests and the magnificent winter/summer Faye house quests.

The problem resides with the mind numbingly boring side quests that are only there as exp and gold dispensers.

It´s clear the game was inspired by mmorpg quest design, as the flashbacks to WoW questing were an ever present ocurance.

Not a bad thing for those that enjoy simple straight forward questing and are only here for the loot, but for anyone else looking for any kind of depth, best look elsewhere than Amalur.

That leads me to...

World design

Amalur is a beautiful place if your into the "cartoony" WoW / Darksiders look. The colors are vibrant, the artwork is imaginative and the scenery transmits the proper sense of grandeur.

The problem, for me at least, is in the way the zones were designed. Even tho the game strives to be an open world rpg, each "zone" in the game is a self sustained hub with a clear theme to it, all connected by corridors that clearly transmit "warning you are heading into another zone".

Even tho it might sound silly, i would compare the design more to the Witcher games than to the elder scroll games. A series of discreet zones with a clear progression. Not so much as a sandbox game.

These zones in themselves are not as open as they could be due to are connected by "corridors", every small obstacle is there to make the player´s life a miserable experience when going from point A to point B.

A small log? have to go around it, a small 20cm incline? have to go around it. All these detours at to a lot of unnecessary traveling by the end of the game, and for some very aggravating moments.

Lore

R.A Salvatore is an awesome D&D writer, i enjoy his work for it´s straightforward narrative. What Salvatore is not, is a "world builder"...

The Lore in the game, i can only describe as "confusing", it tries too damned hard to sound deep and complicated for the sake of being deep and complicated.

You have names, terms and concepts are that are laid thick and fast without any sense of the player exploring and discovering by himself/herself.

There are some nice ideas like in some of the Faye house story lines, but overall Amalur feels too much like an "alien" place with the player (me) feeling too detached from giving a damn about what is going on around him.

Sometimes spoon feeding the player in a more linear experience goes a long way in effective world building.

Conclusion

I had a lot more to write, but i can´t be bothered to continue... the post is long enough as it is. :)

In the end, even tho i might sound overly critical, i had fun with Amalur, it´s a nice fun action rpg, flawed... but is any game perfect?

Would i continue exploring it in future expansions/dlc? Depends on the story and if they move it forward instead of laterally (i couldn´t care less of the world around me, but i would love to see my own character´s story more developed).

Kem0sabe

After...

45 hours
3322 enemies slain
6 chicken slaughtered
6 million gold acquired
180 quests completed
6.5 million damage dealt

finally finished the game :)

Managed to complete the main quest, all of the faction quests, all the side quests i could find except for 2 (explored the entire map, secret entrances, every single lore stone set), and had 14 tasks left to complete, most of them were repeatable quests i think.

Unless i missed an entire other continent, i doubt the 200 hour number is anywhere near accurate, as i´m not a gamer with super mad rpg skillz. Even so, 45-50 hours is a good number for an rpg.

So whats the gist of it?

I enjoyed the game but it´s a fundamentally flawed gem that sapped every last shred of willpower i could muster to reach the end of it.

Why was it a chore by the end and why do i think its flawed?

The excessive amount of combat

The map is overpopulated with enemies, and the closer to the finish, the more enemies you have to face. And face them you will, because with a few exceptions and even with stealth maxed, you will end up fighting on your way to and from quest objectives... add to that, that the enemies spawn at absurdly fast rates, grayed mobs still aggro and the aggro range is aggravatingly big.

In the end, for as much as i liked the combat, i was fucking tired of it.

Quest Design

The main quest is serviceable if predictable and unimaginative, being clearly inferior to the various faction quests and the magnificent winter/summer Faye house quests.

The problem resides with the mind numbingly boring side quests that are only there as exp and gold dispensers.

It´s clear the game was inspired by mmorpg quest design, as the flashbacks to WoW questing were an ever present ocurance.

Not a bad thing for those that enjoy simple straight forward questing and are only here for the loot, but for anyone else looking for any kind of depth, best look elsewhere than Amalur.

That leads me to...

World design

Amalur is a beautiful place if your into the "cartoony" WoW / Darksiders look. The colors are vibrant, the artwork is imaginative and the scenery transmits the proper sense of grandeur.

The problem, for me at least, is in the way the zones were designed. Even tho the game strives to be an open world rpg, each "zone" in the game is a self sustained hub with a clear theme to it, all connected by corridors that clearly transmit "warning you are heading into another zone".

Even tho it might sound silly, i would compare the design more to the Witcher games than to the elder scroll games. A series of discreet zones with a clear progression. Not so much as a sandbox game.

These zones in themselves are not as open as they could be due to are connected by "corridors", every small obstacle is there to make the player´s life a miserable experience when going from point A to point B.

A small log? have to go around it, a small 20cm incline? have to go around it. All these detours at to a lot of unnecessary traveling by the end of the game, and for some very aggravating moments.

Lore

R.A Salvatore is an awesome D&D writer, i enjoy his work for it´s straightforward narrative and written combat encounters. What Salvatore is not, is a "world builder"...

The Lore in the game, i can only describe as "confusing", it tries too damned hard to sound deep and complicated for the sake of being deep and complicated.

You have names, terms and concepts are that are laid thick and fast without any sense of the player exploring and discovering by himself/herself.

There are some nice ideas like in some of the Faye house story lines, but overall Amalur feels too much like an "alien" place with the player (me) feeling too detached from giving a damn about what is going on around him.

Sometimes spoon feeding the player in a more linear experience goes a long way in effective world building.

Conclusion

I had a lot more to write, but i can´t be bothered to continue... the post is long enough as it is. :)

In the end, even tho i might sound overly critical, i had fun with Amalur, it´s a nice fun action rpg, flawed... but is any game perfect?

Would i continue exploring it in future expansions/dlc? Depends on the story and if they move it forward instead of laterally (i couldn´t care less of the world around me, but i would love to see my own character´s story more developed).

I respec'd from pure might to pure sorcery over the weekend..

I love the magic abilities I have.. they all feel powerful. I really like the knock-back ability of using the staff from the block position.

It is becoming clear that I need to carry staves and chakrams of different elements, though.

I fought a boss/mini-boss that was immune to fire damage and my main weapons were useless. (fire staff and chakrams). Thankfully I had picked up a giant hammer in that dungeon and I was able to kill him with that in reckoning mode.

Meantime

Is there any requirement other than the online pass to get into the House of Valor - a level requirement or quest chain or something? There's an NPC outside called Garrick Castor telling me that it's not in season at the moment. I can see the online pass in my purchase history (PS3 version). Am I missing something?

It sorta pains me to hear some people criticize this game as a simple button-masher, since there is a bit of depth in the combo system. Granted, it's not necessary to do (even on hard), nor is it all that practical most of the time, but it is pretty damn fun.

A friend of mine recently showed me this youtube video of a guy pulling off neat combos on the might/finesse side. If you like that, check out the other videos he's got on his channel. I couldn't find any videos on youtube for mages, but I've been doing some of my own using the same concepts. Anybody with basic knowledge of fighting games (canceling/buffering techniques) should be able to create a few to show off with. It's sorta disappointing watching those live streams or video reviews and see the players completely neglect that aspect of the game.

ReaperXL7

Yeah it's nce, except now we have to wonder how it's going to work.

They would not be able to add Spears to any of the exsisting trees without adding another weapon to each of the other two. It could be an entirely new abiliy tree, but it would be interesting to see how that would work because they would have to create an entirely new set of destinies for a pure build, and then all of the destinies for hybrids for this new ability tree.

I would think that adding more weapon types, or abilities to the exsisting trees would be the easiest thing to do, but if your playing with a controller it makes it even more difficult to choose which abilities to keep in your four slots...

If I had to guess I would think that spears would be a might weapon, so i'm not sure what they could give Mages, or Rouges, could be cool to see a Whip style weapon.

If I had to guess I would think that spears would be a might weapon, so i'm not sure what they could give Mages, or Rouges, could be cool to see a Whip style weapon.
I like the whip idea for rogues...sort of a mid-range option to complement the daggers/faeblades and bow.

Not so sure what to do about the mage though. Maybe a fist-type weapon ala monks. It'd give mages a quicker/closer melee alternative to the shotgun staff, mid-range chakrams, and long distance pistol sceptres.

LogicStep

I guess I'll just play with the default pov because the fix is making it look too far back.

Game is pretty damn fun, just got out of the tutorial area and I'm in the first town. Installed that Injector mod from Skyrim and it looks very vivid!

I feel like I want to play a Might build and just be strong as hell with a big ass weapon. Should I just concentrate on Might or should I do a dual spec?

Also I see a lot of people saying that crafting breaks the game. I also see someone saying that there are just too many enemies in the game and he got tired of so much combat. Should I go down the crafting path and be as strong as possible so I can mow down all the mobs? Also, is crafted gear cool looking or is that only the unique/set items?

1stStrike

Banned
So how do I get this FOV fix to work right? It puts the camera waaaay back from my character. I would like it to be just a little farther back than default. Sort of like in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmQdcOWTd7g

I tried the 3x width but it doesn't look right.

Someone mentioned this earlier, but the best setting for it is to change the FOV to 120 degrees and then set the resolution to 5736x1080. It's kind of glitchy if you set it for your actual resolution. Since I made this change, it's been working perfectly though.

vaelic

Banned
I guess I'll just play with the default pov because the fix is making it look too far back.

Game is pretty damn fun, just got out of the tutorial area and I'm in the first town. Installed that Injector mod from Skyrim and it looks very vivid!

I feel like I want to play a Might build and just be strong as hell with a big ass weapon. Should I just concentrate on Might or should I do a dual spec?

You're not doing it correctly

ReaperXL7

Also I see a lot of people saying that crafting breaks the game. I also see someone saying that there are just too many enemies in the game and he got tired of so much combat. Should I go down the crafting path and be as strong as possible so I can mow down all the mobs? Also, is crafted gear cool looking or is that only the unique/set items?

IMO the Sets (Gold), and Uniques(purple) blow the crafted sets away in terms of visual style especially since the crafted sets are not unique. I also found that i've gotten a better challange from the game with sticking to what I get off of drops instead of bothering with crafting.

I'd say as far as the combat goes it's really up to you, I've been playing for almost 70 hours now and I'm still enjoying the combat alot.

I found that if I use the "automatic" setting, I get the massively pulled out view.

I unchecked automatic, set displays to "1" and my actual resolution.. now it looks fine with fov 85-90 and nothing appears to be broken.

By default I think it is adjusting for 3 monitors (even though it says 1). As soon as you uncheck "automatic" the number of displays jumps up to 3.

ReaperXL7

For those of you interested in game guides and just AWESOME content, check out the update, it's late, which sucks, but it is amazing.

Awesome stuff Curt, I'm a big fan of Future Press, it's somewhat a shame that the guide is going to be late, but it looks like it's going to be well worth it. 600 pages of content is nothing to sneeze at, I also think this might be Future Press's largest guide yet, so could explain the delay.

looking forward to my copy.

LogicStep

IMO the Sets (Gold), and Uniques(purple) blow the crafted sets away in terms of visual style especially since the crafted sets are not unique. I also found that i've gotten a better challange from the game with sticking to what I get off of drops instead of bothering with crafting.

I'd say as far as the combat goes it's really up to you, I've been playing for almost 70 hours now and I'm still enjoying the combat alot.
I see, I will go that route then. What about the build? Should I just go full Might or branch out? For this character I pretty much just want to use huge weapons and big armor.

I found that if I use the "automatic" setting, I get the massively pulled out view.

I unchecked automatic, set displays to "1" and my actual resolution.. now it looks fine with fov 85-90 and nothing appears to be broken.

By default I think it is adjusting for 3 monitors (even though it says 1). As soon as you uncheck "automatic" the number of displays jumps up to 3.

Someone mentioned this earlier, but the best setting for it is to change the FOV to 120 degrees and then set the resolution to 5736x1080. It's kind of glitchy if you set it for your actual resolution. Since I made this change, it's been working perfectly though.
I have tried all of this. This is what my game looks like, these are the settings for that image. The other settings mentioned that I also tried give a similar result. Except the 5736x1080, if it has 1 display my fov gets worse, it gets even closer to the character. With 3 displays its set too far and with 2 it looks bad too.

untitled-1qeeyj.jpg

untitled-2wfclx.jpg

reckoning2012-02-2015yci7m.png

I tried the 1 display and my actual resolution with the 85-90 mentioned above, same result.

That is how it is supposed to look, imo.

I've seen another scenario when it is adjusting for 3 displays that you're pulled back waaay too far and everything around you is distorted.

Jrmint

Is it possible to get back into the
Den of the Hyrophant
after you finish the Travelers?

I ask bc I ran out of lockpicks behind a very hard door and I'm worried I missed out on some nice stuff.

Really want a nice set of unique Faeblades to drop. They seem to be really rare.

foxdvd

I am 26 hours in with a pure sage build. The game is a lot of fun, but some of the side quests are beyond even normal rpg repetitive. One of these side missions had me fetching books all over town. I almost gave up after having to watch the load screen from going in and out of a house for the 16th time when I finally got a skill book for my time. It was a nice reward, but what is the point of having something this boring in the game?

Anyone who has spent time with RPG games has had to deal with grinding. It just seems that this game has more than most. When you stick with the main or faction quests it is fun though. I know it has been said before, but it is completely unforgivable that they limited the abilities to 4 at a time. I also hope they patch the sphere of protection so that it does not glitch out during load screens or conversations. Doing that would at least free up one spot on my abilities.

So I found the Frostweave Robes in the Gorhart jail. I've been farming Odarath relentlessly looking for more pieces, with no luck. Those of you who regularly complete set drops, how many times do you usually go through an area before getting a unique drop? I've been through the area about 6-7 times without any drops - am I just impatient? Does difficulty effect drop rates? How about my level (i.e. will I get drops from extremely weak enemies)?

Also farming for the Ceremonial set, which I have 3 pieces of, all of them found in chests. Am I missing something? It's possible for enemies to drop set items, right?

Edit: lol, Curt, why do NPCs sleep on mats on the floor in rooms with actual beds in them? Some sort of Faelands cultural quirk? ;)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I finished the main story last night. Completed all of the Faction quests except the House of Sorrows. Did around 130 side quests. Level 38. 53 hours.

I will probably go back and do a lot more of the remaining side quests as I kind of just blasted through the Klurikon, Alabastra, and the latter half of Detyre.

What I liked:

- Combat is a ton of fun!
- I love the visual style.
- I thoroughly enjoyed the lore and the world they built. I look forward to playing an MMORPG in this setting.
- A good portion of the quests were pretty interesting.
- Loot variety was pretty good for the most part.

What I didn't like:

- The game is really too easy on Hard. There were some challenging parts, but they were very few and completely non-existent after the mid-20s.

- Sorcery focused builds become gods around level 25 or so. You can end almost every fight in the game just by using two abilities to obliterate every enemy in the area in seconds. Mana is never an issue.

- Money becomes completely useless in the later 20s when there aren't any merchants selling decent loot past Rathir.

- The lore and world were interesting, but I didn't really find any of the individual characters to be very memorable. This may have something to do with the voice acting, which while not being particularly bad, is kind of uninspired and dry. Everyone sounds pretty much the same as everyone else on their faction/race. Then you have the fact that every character looks like its built using the character builder, so there aren't really any unique appearances. This all came together to make it feel kind of MMO-like in having a huge cast of completely forgettable characters who are only there to give out quests.

- The main story was pretty bland, especially in the latter half. I was intrigued by it up until I went to and completed Mel Senshir, but after that I found it pretty boring and cliched.

- There are a lot of really lame and useless abilities. Maybe if there were more variety in the enemies it would have been okay, but as it is, there are some abilities that are just objectively bad compared to others. They could have easily cut the talent trees in half if not more.

- Lockpicking was stupidly easy. I think about half of the time I was able to open locks simply be sliding the bar from the default position.

- No jump button! This is minor, but it would have been nice to be able to jump.

- Dungeons were really uninspired and could have benefited from some puzzles or other unique elements.

Anyway, I really enjoyed this game. I had a ton of fun just wandering around, killing stuff and getting loot while talking to everyone, doing tons of quests and just sucking up the lore in general. With that said, I think the first 20 hours or so in Dalentarth were the best. Erathell and the battle at Mel Senshir were cool, too, but main story and faction quest-wise, I think it went downhill after that. Wasn't a huge fan of Detyre or Klurikon in particular.

I'll probably put in another 10 hours or so before putting it aside, but I'm really looking forward to whatever DLC they have planned, and am excited about the Amalur IP in general.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I really wish the characters were just more expressive. With regards to games with cartoonish art styles, the standard to which I hold that sort of thing is Team Fortress 2. When characters talk in Reckoning, they barely emote at all. Sure occasionally they'll raise their eyebrows, but that's pretty much it. A lot of them just come across as dead empty shells :/

That's definitely one of the biggest problems, in my opinion. The voice acting really isn't bad, but the character models just don't convey anything. Then they're all built in the character builder, so everyone is a ripped muscle-man or young busty woman and more-or-less looks the same. It would have gone a long way if they made some custom models for story characters. Just having some fat, or skinny, or short, or tall, or ugly, or whatever characters that weren't just a product of someone pressing the random button in the character creator would have helped a lot.

Also, they tried to make some characters as old men or women, but just giving them white hair doesn't convey that at all. Without wrinkles or any other such characteristics, they just look like young people with white hair.

My only other complaint is Alyn Shir and the other scantily-clad Alfar women. Just ridiculous and in poor taste, really. I couldn't help but shake my head when I saw the outfit the house maids in Dathir wore. Simply ludicrous.

DanielJr82

Anyway I could turn off secondary quest markers? Especially some of those "Tasks" that are seemingly endless, like the Honor Faeblades one in Ysa Gardens, where the marker is always on the quest giver, even if I don't have any of the items. My mini map shows off a dozen of those white circles at any given time, it's distracting.

ReaperXL7

Is it possible to get back into the
Den of the Hyrophant
after you finish the Travelers?

I ask bc I ran out of lockpicks behind a very hard door and I'm worried I missed out on some nice stuff.

Really want a nice set of unique Faeblades to drop. They seem to be really rare.

We should trade saves :p seems like every other dungeon or so I get another pair of faeblades, but since I'm using Greatswords they don't do much for me. Oddly enough though great swords are the weapon that seem to drop the least for me, aswell as bows.

LogicStep

I could be wrong, but that is how it looks for me. It's not obviously screwed up like it is when I leave it on "automatic"

I think you're right but as I'm running around the camera is just too far back and when fighting enemies in an open area the camera turns into an almost sky camera lol.

We should trade saves :p seems like every other dungeon or so I get another pair of faeblades, but since I'm using Greatswords they don't do much for me. Oddly enough though great swords are the weapon that seem to drop the least for me, aswell as bows.

Amalur's Axiom: The most common item drops are always things you don't use.

It's like the game takes into account current equipment, skill points allocated, destiny, etc. to determine what items drop, especially for the unique armor sets. "This guy's a mage? Let's give him the entire set of Ceremonial Armor while he's farming Frostweave Robes!"

Love this game. Keep kicking my ass, RNG.

1stStrike

Banned
My only other complaint is Alyn Shir and the other scantily-clad Alfar women. Just ridiculous and in poor taste, really. I couldn't help but shake my head when I saw the outfit the house maids in Dathir wore. Simply ludicrous.

One of the books talks about their wardrobe choice. Their race dresses that way on purpose. So, you may like it, but it's included and explained in the lore.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
One of the books talks about their wardrobe choice. Their race dresses that way on purpose. So, you may like it, but it's included and explained in the lore.

It's nice that they took the time to explain it in the lore, but I still think it's ridiculous and unnecessary.

1stStrike

Banned
I have tried all of this. This is what my game looks like, these are the settings for that image. The other settings mentioned that I also tried give a similar result. Except the 5736x1080, if it has 1 display my fov gets worse, it gets even closer to the character. With 3 displays its set too far and with 2 it looks bad too.

I see absolutely nothing wrong there. That's how mine looks. What exactly were you expecting?

It's nice that they took the time to explain it in the lore, but I still think it's ridiculous and unnecessary.

Your opinion has been noted. I saw nothing wrong with it, personally.

I respecced (level 36) and went full Sorcery after being Might-Sorcery the entire game and wow do I hate it. Melee in Skyrim to me sucks, but magic + bow is great fun. In KOA melee is awesome but straight magic or bows is just not very fun or interesting to me at all.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Arnt most fantasy games just like this?

Is this ever a good excuse for anything? Almost everyone else is juvenile and laughable, so we shouldn't try to be any better!

I respecced (level 36) and went full Sorcery after being Might-Sorcery the entire game and wow do I hate it. Melee in Skyrim to me sucks, but magic + bow is great fun. In KOA melee is awesome but straight magic or bows is just not very fun or interesting to me at all.

The spell effects look awesome, but battles with a high level Sorcery user end in less than 10 seconds. Meteor -> Tempest -> move on to the next battle.

LiK

Playing House of Sorrows and its an interesting story but has way more combat than expected. Enemies are way tougher in this area too. It's fun but I actually got tired lol

coopolon

Trying to fix the FOV using the Widescreen Fixer. When I hit the cog button for KOA it just has an FOV slider, it doesn't have the lower section where you can change the resolution. Any ideas?

I just downloaded v3.1 of Widescreen Fixer off the website and am using the KOA plugin that comes with it. I tried using the one linked to on widescreengamingforum but then Widescreen Fixer refuses to open saying the KOA plugin is API 2.0 and it has to be 2.1.

Edit: Other games do allow me to change the resolution, just KOA isn't. I also just downloaded the .net framework on a fresh install of windows, so I don't think that's out of date.

Hawk269

Game has been out for about 2 weeks now...I think it would be nice if the developer would step in and fix this for those that need it fixed. Or at minimum let us know what a good setting would be that does not make the game look all jacked up.

Unlike most PC games that are ported "properly" a FOV setting would should have been included...Alan Wake which was a 360 game that came out over 2 years ago and just got a PC release last week has a FOV as well as "basic" PC options that Reckoning simply does not have. I realize not all console to pc ports are the same, but some basic things that are considered "basic" for PC games is lacking in this game.

Trying to fix the FOV using the Widescreen Fixer. When I hit the cog button for KOA it just has an FOV slider, it doesn't have the lower section where you can change the resolution. Any ideas?

I just downloaded v3.1 of Widescreen Fixer off the website and am using the KOA plugin that comes with it. I tried using the one linked to on widescreengamingforum but then Widescreen Fixer refuses to open saying the KOA plugin is API 2.0 and it has to be 2.1.

Edit: Other games do allow me to change the resolution, just KOA isn't. I also just downloaded the .net framework on a fresh install of windows, so I don't think that's out of date.

You need the newer plugin.. which you can grab from Helifax's post here -

http://widescreengamingforum.com/fo...ing-fov-fix-and-rally-?page=21#comment-241573

Xilium

Game has been out for about 2 weeks now...I think it would be nice if the developer would step in and fix this for those that need it fixed. Or at minimum let us know what a good setting would be that does not make the game look all jacked up.

Unlike most PC games that are ported "properly" a FOV setting would should have been included...Alan Wake which was a 360 game that came out over 2 years ago and just got a PC release last week has a FOV as well as "basic" PC options that Reckoning simply does not have. I realize not all console to pc ports are the same, but some basic things that are considered "basic" for PC games is lacking in this game.

As far as I know, FOV isn't an actual option in most pc RPGs (can't comment on other genres). Generally, the only reason you have access to that option is because you can manually go in and edit an .ini file, but Amalur apparently doesn't use the typical .ini file so that isn't an option here.

Top Bottom