• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (October 09)

3272420361_e61f66a0a2.jpg

Bit-Bit

Pretty busy month for me.

Right now I'm reading:
For the first time...
71CGE76JJQL.gif

n311454.jpg

and

brom_childthief.jpg

And rereading my all time favorite...

0521576032.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

bengraven

BlueTsunami said:
nqebf4.jpg

Short stories from various authors based on During and Post Apocalyptic scenarios. I love the lead in message....

Cool, I've been looking for that. I couldn't find it, so I "settled" for this:

51LTEpW0VgL._SS500_.jpg

:D

Undeux

51D48iV4a0L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

It's pretty good so far, but I'm a little disappointed by the occasional side gossip that the author throws out. I don't really need to know teenage John Lennon's masturbation habits, for instance.

Currently reading,
adlg.jpg

The Automatic Detective is a straight up Noir Detective novel, except that it takes place in an alternate future where society has gone back to acting like the 1920s except with Hover cars, talking gorillas, and death rays.

The story takes place in Empire city, a place obsessed with technological advancement above all else. As a result, radiation and hazardous materials are everywhere and mutations are common. Mack Megaton is the main character, a robot that recently was blessed with the Glitch, a unexplainable phenomena that gives robots the ability to think and feel.

This is great for Mack as now he can go through the process of becoming a full citizen. Unfortunately, the family next door to Mack disappear one day with the only clue a picture given to him by the youngest child. Now Mack must decide whether he'll ignore the problem in order to keep his nose clean, or risk becoming scrap in order to find his friends.

Also,

cats-cradle-1.jpg

I'm about halfway through and not sure if I'm enjoying it more than Slaughter House Five or not.

Spruchy

Let's just rename this to: "WHICH GEORGE MARTIN BOOK ARE YOU ON"?

For the record after I finish lost symbol ill be re-reading the series.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
51Azv39xCyL_SL500_.jpg

I just started The Coldest Winter last night. I have always been interested in the Korean War, because it truly seems to be the forgotten war in the United States. You watch History Channel and there will be 50 documentaries on WWII, 20 on Vietnam, but you hardly ever see anything on Korea.

I've got three on the go right now, mood and time dependent:

n21490.jpg

A moody, brooding read. I love the characters and the setting; the smell of wet concrete and stark, sharp architecture emanates from the pages.

n14788.jpg

Wonderful book, really goes to town with conventional warfare in Eighties tech. Terrific descriptions and balances characters with progression really well. World in Conflict - the novel. Essentially.

Warday_Hardback_Cover.jpg

Not a fan of Strieber at all, but this collaboration novel is one of those incredibly written "what if..." novels with striking detail. A nuclear-flattened America and what comes afterwards. A few errors here and there, primarily with nuclear strike details, but a wonderfully conceived world that the two authors travel through - seen as a post-nuclear travelogue.

crowphoenix said:
Currently reading,
adlg.jpg

The Automatic Detective is a straight up Noir Detective novel, except that it takes place in an alternate future where society has gone back to acting like the 1920s except with Hover cars, talking gorillas, and death rays.

The story takes place in Empire city, a place obsessed with technological advancement above all else. As a result, radiation and hazardous materials are everywhere and mutations are common. Mack Megaton is the main character, a robot that recently was blessed with the Glitch, a unexplainable phenomena that gives robots the ability to think and feel.

This is great for Mack as now he can go through the process of becoming a full citizen. Unfortunately, the family next door to Mack disappear one day with the only clue a picture given to him by the youngest child. Now Mack must decide whether he'll ignore the problem in order to keep his nose clean, or risk becoming scrap in order to find his friends.
I read this at random a year ago or so, it's fantastic. It's really, really dorky in a very fun way. Lot's of inner monologuing about sexy mechanics and having to pay the electric bill.
Spruchy said:
Let's just rename this to: "WHICH GEORGE MARTIN BOOK ARE YOU ON"?

For the record after I finish lost symbol ill be re-reading the series.

515ihzL8eWL._SS500_.jpg

I've never read anything by him so figured why not dive in. About halfway through and it's been a good read so far, downright fascinating to see the development from story to story. I've always preferred short stories over anything else, so having a bunch to rip through is a delight, even if they feel rather dated and immature.

CiSTM

Banned
crowphoenix said:
Currently reading,
adlg.jpg

Sounds interesting, will be my next book.

Aegus said:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3a/Unseen.jpg[/

Was pleasantly surprised to see this in Waterstones today as I thought it was out this Thursday.:D[/QUOTE]
It's out? Yay! This next week or so will have me in book stores daily until I can find a copy.

Fritz

crowphoenix said:
Currently reading,
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/CrowPhoenix/adlg.jpg

Man, sounds intriguing.Could be cheesy though. Well, let us now when you're finished

Im reading Theodor Fontane - Wanderungen durch die Mark Brandenburg
51RHEKBEACL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Its basically a sociological topography of the Mark Brandenburg from the 19th Century. Mark Brandenburg is the region surrounding Berlin. Its filled with anecdotes on country and people and there's also some family of mine described in the books. High recognition value

Just Finished:
9780312872915.jpg

And starting
9780312860721.jpg

It's amazing so far. I don't know if it's better than The Book of the New Sun, but if the second half holds up it certainly has a chance to match it. Litany has possibly the best ending ever.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
before-they-are-hanged.jpg

first book picked up a lot during the last quarter - decided to bang out the next book (hopefully) quickly so i can get back to some classics (old man and the sea, brothers karamazov).

vegee

Banned
newsguy said:
WTF, it's the month od ASOIAF. I'm still reading:

n272613.jpg

I am such a slow reader, I drop it for weeks and only read in small chunks.

I have this book, but I just couldn't get into it. I thought the quality of writing was subpar compared to what I had just read...really bothered me.

ultron87

icarus-daedelus said:
I'm trying to get into Terry Pratchett, starting with the very first Discworld book - The Colour of Magic. I have to say, it hasn't immediately grabbed me the way that Douglas Adams could at his best.

I'd argue that Pratchett vastly improves once he gets past the first few Discworld books. I think my favorites of the earlier books are either Mort (#4) or Guards! Guards! (#8)

That reminds me, I never finished Making Money. Whelp, that's another book on the pile.

Hari Seldon

Just finished this last night (fuck I didn't know that the trilogy wasn't done yet! :lol ) Very, very good. I have become a huge Peter Hamilton fan.

ttv_cover.jpg

vegee said:

Just downloaded that from audible and will start tonight!

vegee

Banned
Hari Seldon said:
Just downloaded that from audible and will start tonight!

It's pretty good so far. Like past Robin Hobb books I've read, it starts off slowly but by page 50 or 60 it's flying along.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Finished the Dispossessed from September.

5174EN0VAZL.jpg

Definitely in my top three novels in science fiction. I loved the Left Hand of Darkness and the Lathe of Heaven, but this is on another level. Absolutely incredible, thought-provoking stuff. No wonder it won both the Hugo and the Nebula.

Hari Seldon

vegee said:
It's pretty good so far. Like past Robin Hobb books I've read, it starts off slowly but by page 50 or 60 it's flying along.

I have never read Robin Hobb but I have heard great things.

vegee said:
I have this book, but I just couldn't get into it. I thought the quality of writing was subpar compared to what I had just read...really bothered me.

You should give it a try. At the second half of the book, it really picks up. First half of the second part is a bit weak, but it get's so good after that. One of the best series I've read.

At the moment I'm reading The First Law: The Blade Itself, fun read.

Just finished reading:
mbk75f.jpg

And I'm going to start this soon:
m8elcm.jpg

I don't read much and a friend recommended me them, really enjoyed Catcher in the Rye

subzero9285 said:
Currently reading for the first time:

059306173X.jpg

OP nailed it, just picked this up yesterday and going to start it in the next few minutes. since I'm done with classes for the day. Love his other work so I have no doubt this will leave me satisfied. After 30% off right off the bat (Chapters promotion), 10% off from having a rewards card, and $25 that I found on a random chapters giftcard I was unaware of, this cost me a grand total of....$0.24. Not too bad for a $40 book.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
ClosingADoor said:
At the moment I'm reading The First Law: The Blade Itself, fun read.

I read that - it is 'fun' and it got me to start the second book. If Joe didn't have his sense of pacing, I'd have quit long ago.

lakesideflight said:
still reading
AtlasShrugged.jpg
I've read that three times and I've yet to make it through John's speech.

I should read it again. I found a review I wrote about it after the first time I read it (1991) and I'd like to see what I think of it now versus then. It's not often you get to do such a thing.

Stealth

n170060.jpg

Been recommended on here a few times but the book is fucking great. Basically a set up like the first Alien movie, but the fact that absolutely everything is hostile to human life in the setting is great. Great injections of dark humor every now and then, too. Can't wait to finish it.

Jarlaxle

I'm about 100 pages into The Elfstones of Shannara by Terry Brooks. I'm enjoying this alot more than The Sword of Shannara so far but that is also because TSoS is a complete ripoff of LOTR. This book at least has it's own ideas and it's nice not to know exactly what is going to happen next.

Stealth said:
n170060.jpg

Been recommended on here a few times but the book is fucking great. Basically a set up like the first Alien movie, but the fact that absolutely everything is hostile to human life in the setting is great. Great injections of dark humor every now and then, too. Can't wait to finish it.

Awesome!
Im just wrapping up Shutter Island(Which was fantastic) and I wanted something like this.
Thanks for posting.

Finished "The Automatic Detective." It did a really good job of balancing the sci-fi setting with the feelings of a Noir detective novel's setting and tone. Near the end, the story begins to lean more heavily towards the sci-fi side of things and Mack's a bit (Ok. A lot) more powerful of a detective than I expected, but it is never not a fun read.

There's a bit of awkwardness here and there, but only once is that due to how Martinez wrote it, and that's only a time issue. Most of the time, it's just in how some of the characters interact.

While it might not elevate itself above classic Noir tropes, the sci-fi setting and enjoyable characters allow for a fun read that doesn't take itself too seriously.

mujun

Finally finished Perdido Street Station.

I thought it was good but to be honest wasn't really sure of the point and wished that there was less flowery description of stuff and more time spent on the plot.

Felt vaguely unsatisfied by the end.

Started the first book of the Dresden series. The writing is pretty amateurish and it all seems a bit silly. Unless it finishes stronger than it has started then I won't bother with the rest of the series.

Next up will either be Night Angel 2 or "The Scourge of God" by S M Stirling

Fireblend

Banned
Liquid Helium said:
Just finished reading:
mbk75f.jpg

And I'm going to start this soon:
m8elcm.jpg

I don't read much and a friend recommended me them, really enjoyed Catcher in the Rye
Both are great books, and both I read this year. Enjoy! Admittedly it took a while for me to get into Catch-22, but that was because university kept getting between me and the book, and it's a bad book for quick-reading, much more enjoyable if you can take your time to read long fragments at a time.

Salazar

McSweeney's 32, which arrived in the mail (via Frankfurt) this morning.
'The Magicians' by Lev Grossman. It's diverting enough.
'Berlusconi: Television, Power, and Patrimony' by Paul Ginsborg. Excellent book, immaculately scholarly but damned readable.

EDIT - I finished 'The Magicians', and am experiencing a delayed-onset apprehension of Grossman's full obnoxiousness. Do not read this book: it will only piss you off.

Top Bottom