• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns' Ending Teases the Future of Metroid (MASSIVE SPOILERS)

I really hope they end up redesigning Sylux if they end up going with it as the main antagonist of Metroid Prime 4. It has a pretty bad/generic design in my opinion.

zogged

Please be continuation of fusion story line

The idea of possibly facing federation enemies as well as the implications of the metroid DNA in Samus where some of the most interesting sequel hooks that franchise needed to deliver on. It really feels like nintendo went out of their way to not addressing them in any of the subsequent games

Neiteio

I skipped Other M, so my last memory of Ridley is MP3, which had that awesome free-falling scene where Ridley holds you in his hand.

RagnarokX

I skipped Other M, so my last memory of Ridley is MP3, which had that awesome free-falling scene where Ridley holds you in his hand.

P4HbEaJ.gif

A bad Chozo is much better than the boring bad Federation, hope to see it in the next game!
Also, the moment I unlocked that image, with the distortion and the disturbing sound, was really creepy.

Fou-Lu

I think it is about time I do a Metroid series playthrough now that II has a remake and it seems there is a future in store for the series. Stay tuned for a Zero Mission RTTP thread in the near future.

Nanashrew

Banned
A bad Chozo is much better than the boring bad Federation, hope to see it in the next game!
Also, the moment I unlocked that image, with the distortion and the disturbing sound, was really creepy.

Could be both. Samus is now a fugitive after the events of Fusion. She could find a planet to take refuge and be a hidden Chozo planet, only to find they're also bad too.

RagnarokX

About the fight with
Ridley...it's pretty neat how he's actually partially in his Meta Ridley form. It's probably the most explicit reference to the Prime series Sakamoto has ever done in any of his games and it's a neat little way to explain his transition back into his organic appearence seen in Super Metroid.
It feels less like a direct Prime reference and more like Sakamoto's version. It looks like Ridley attached pieces of his Ridley Robot to himself.

yqIXvk7h.jpg

Especially due to the green lights at the joints and on the head and the pronged thing on his back.

It's neat cuz Meta Ridley was cool and all, but it's also dumb because Metroid 2 takes place like they day before Super. Samus drops the baby metroid off at Ceres station and then Ridley attacks the station right after she leaves.

Oh yeah, and apparently Ridley left behind his metal claw when he left SR388 cuz the hornoad that gets replicated by the X parasite nibbles on it before hopping to its demise.

Demoli

Honestly, the Ridley fight should have been on ceres. It makes no sense to be on SR388 when he invades the station right after.

Cpt Lmao

Is anyone else impressed by how the Metroid lore has held up over the decades? Its actually fairly cohesive, and Nintendo have done a good job of revisiting, filling in and expanding the gaps, as well as effortlessly switching focus between the various aspects of the universe. I love the variety, you have the:

X Parasites
Metroids
Chozo
Space Pirates
Federation
Bounty Hunters
Ridley, Mother Brain and the gang.
Phazon

All getting out and about (Ridley particularly).

Since Super Metroid in 1994, Nintendo were never too hell bent on making the Metroids the focal point of the series, and yet their existence has subtly influenced everything going in the universe in the mean time. Now, after a 23 year break, I'm beginning to see how certain plot points, such as: the X parasite; Sylux; Samus' relationship with the final Metroid; and potentially the reintroduction of the Chozo, are coming together to bring the Metroids back into the fold and kickstart the next chapter in this series.

Exciting times, Metroid Prime 4 better be good.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Now that I think about it, it's only the first game where the Metroid aspect wasn't really important.

Glad you guys are enjoying the new Metroid lore! It's been very hard to keep it secret for the last few weeks. I'm a huge Metroid fan and this discussion thread is exactly what I needed to see (these are my videos in the OP :]).

Anyways, keep speculating!

Cpt Lmao

Now that I think about it, it's only the first game where the Metroid aspect wasn't really important.

Well, I'd argue:

Metroid
Metroid II
Super Metroid
Metroid: Other M

are games with Metroids as a focal point, and:

Metroid: Fusion
Metroid Prime 1–3
Metroid Prime: Hunters
Metroid Prime: Federation Force

Are the games where the series explored other plot points.

Oh sweet TFing Jesus on a pogo stick, I just realized I completely missed Metroid Prime 3.

I suppose it's not THAT hard to do since I skipped the Wii entirely...maybe we'll get a Metroid Prime Trilogy remake for the Switch so folks that hate the WiiMote controls will finally be able to play?

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Oh sweet TFing Jesus on a pogo stick, I just realized I completely missed Metroid Prime 3.

I suppose it's not THAT hard to do since I skipped the Wii entirely...maybe we'll get a Metroid Prime Trilogy remake for the Switch so folks that hate the WiiMote controls will finally be able to play?
But the Wiimote controls are the best parts of that game?

ZenTzen

Cant wait to see Ridleys boss fight in Metroid 5

The evil Chozo angle seems interesting though, i wonder if M5 is eventually made, they'll use Metroids or X parasites, like evil chozo experiments

Boss Doggie

Well, I'd argue:

Metroid
Metroid II
Super Metroid

Metroid Prime 1–3

Oh yeah I forgot the Prime games. In Fusion it was more of a plot twist and was critical in Samus' life.

But I don't think in the original Metroid they were that important though? Like they were just generic big enemies.

Mirk

I know this is probably not a well liked opinion but I really wished we were getting Metroid V over Prime 4.

I know this is probably not a well liked opinion but I really wished we were getting Metroid V over Prime 4.
Perhaps of Samus Returns sells well enough, we can get a Metroid V. Samus Returns puts almost as much effort into it as a new Metroid title would've taken.

RagnarokX

Well, I'd argue:

Metroid
Metroid II
Super Metroid

Metroid Prime 1–3

Eh, Fusion should be with the main narrative games. Fusion deals with the eradication of the metroids leading to a resurgence in X and Samus fusing with metroid DNA to become the true metroid and do what the the Chozo made the metroids to do. Plus there is a secret metroid lab and the final boss is an omega metroid.

eliochip

Well, I'd argue:

Metroid
Metroid II
Super Metroid

Metroid Prime 1–3

Metroid-Fusion-001.png

Fushion is a mainline game that (so far) ends the metroid/X parasite plot that the original game started.

I just hope they don't retcon all the hints in previous games that the Chozo became so advanced that they were able to transcend physical forms. The implication of that made the Chozo parts of Talon IV so much more intriguing

What if only the good Chozo could ascend to a higher plane of existence? We've seen Chozo Ghosts which are "malevolent", so maybe if you've still got demons / aren't at peace / etc. you can't totally go away. It would also be kind of a fun twist that the first live Chozo we see in any of the games isn't one of the benevolent ones.

RagnarokX

I thought you were only after space pirates in Metroid, with the metroids just coming in midway.

Metroids don't show up until the very end.

The whole plot of the game is that Space Pirates captured a metroid from a research ship that visited SR388 and the Federation sends Samus to stop them from cloning it and using it as a bioweapon.

The idea of possibly facing federation enemies as well as the implications of the metroid DNA in Samus where some of the most interesting sequel hooks that franchise needed to deliver on. It really feels like nintendo went out of their way to not addressing them in any of the subsequent games

I hope and have good faith that whatever third party developer is making Prime 4 is a huge Metroid fan and makes the story with the help of Nintendo magic.

Boss Doggie

Metroids don't show up until the very end.

The whole plot of the game is that Space Pirates captured a metroid from a research ship that visited SR388 and the Federation sends Samus to stop them from cloning it and using it as a bioweapon.

I guess I misremember then.

Cerium

That's not an either or choice though. They're done by two totally different production teams.

If Samus Returns does well you probably will get Metroid 5 with evil Chozo.

Neff

Also, that Ridley battle is... It's just... It's so... PERFECT

Coulda done without it tbh.

The Queen Metroid battle was hype as fuck and I was ready for the game to end. Wheeling out Ridley for the 17th time didn't push the fangasm buttons the way I imagine MS/Nintendo intended, particularly when I wouldn't even put it in the top five Ridley battles. Nothing terribly offensive, it's servicable and entertaining, just slightly tainted with the flavour of anticlimax, cliché and overstayed welcome.

Now that's a good Ridley battle.

I'm just happy Ridley actually looks like Ridley again. I mean, seriously, how do we go from this...

character_ridley.jpg

To THIS?

dEul4Tz.png

This shit doesn't even fucking qualify as Ridley. It has nothing in common with his design other than being a big purple dragon.

It's so weird considering how when Other M brought back a lot of the old enemies from the other games, it just kinda lazily ported their designs from 2D to 3D. Zoomers still look like Zoomers, Sidehoppers still look like Sidehoppers, Skulteras still look like Skulteras, etc. Why couldn't they've just done the same for Ridley?

Top Bottom