• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance demo is up on Xbox Live and PSN US. PSN EU whenever.

chrono01

I gotta admit I had a lot of fun just slicing every destructible bit of the environment. Had to switch the controls so that camera was on right stick and blade controls were on the left in blade mode, other way around hurt my brain.

There was a tip that explicitly told me to press toward the attacker and press square. Though does the circle button do anything? Makes me wonder why they didn't just map it there for simplicity's sake.

Circle is for stealth attacks.

That was what my confusion was. I thought the icon meant I should be pushing the stick down instead of holding forward while pressing square. When I realized it was FORWARD + light attack, the dog (and subsequently the gekkos) became pretty easy after that.

Well, I assumed it was forward, since a parry is basically a counter-attack. The parrying system took me a couple minutes to get used to, though. Other than that, I'm enjoying the game.

Threi

notag
running low slash into blade mode = instakill on regular enemies, and looks slick as fuck

*edit*

also switching the sticks on blade mode felt far more natural to me...dunno why they are reversed by default.

Cwarrior

This is the weakest Platinum Games game I've played so far, the cutting move is pointless flash and only kills the flow the game.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Played the demo before but it really clicked for me this time. I have trouble parrying Gekkos but the boss and normal enemies make it really easy to do/practice. Type B controls feel a lot more intuitive on PS3.

FireVoa

All the joy and excitement I felt about the demo and cutting anything quickly faded away when it came to parrying on command. I parried 100% of the time when it came to the normal enemies and Gekko's but when the wolf boss came I did it maybe 25% of the time and not even on command. It was incredibly frustrating to go from on top of the world to getting mad over the parrying mechanic.

my confusion stems from the fact that i dont recall the game EVER telling me there is a parry, let alone how to do it. instead, i played a tutorial where i got to use the (super cool) slicing mechanic.... and thats it.

The boss is almost entirely dedicated to teaching the player through trial by fire about parries. The button combo is on the screen the entire time, and you get beat DOWN trying anything else. They're teaching through gameplay, isn't that what people want?

Not having a movelist is one thing, but this whole demo is is a blade mode and parry tutorial.

Smeghead

I still think there should be a dedicated button for dodge like double tap RT, A + X is inconsistent.

Also not 100% on parry being tied in with attack. Sometimes it comes off and other times it doesn't.

Anyone else noticed you can cut the chandelier in the first house you enter? Pretty cool.

Fraeon

I accidentally cut the stairs in the beginning and found no other way to get up at a quick glance. Had to restart.

Well, I assumed it was forward, since a parry is basically a counter-attack. The parrying system took me a couple minutes to get used to, though. Other than that, I'm enjoying the game.

It wouldn't have been the first time I'd play a game with completely wack controls. I don't assume anything.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
The boss is almost entirely dedicated to teaching the player through trial by fire about parries. The button combo is on the screen the entire time, and you get beat DOWN trying anything else. They're teaching through gameplay, isn't that what people want?

Not having a movelist is one thing, but this whole demo is is a blade mode and parry tutorial.

fair point, i'll give it another shot.

but on screen text in the middle of a fight is a really bad way of communicating things to a new player. i was a little preoccupied in trying to dodge attacks and time my own strikes inbetween his button mashing. also, there seems to be a lot of useless shit in the UI, making it easy to ignore

I accidentally cut the stairs in the beginning and found no other way to get up at a quick glance. Had to restart.

me too. i laughed.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
I can only assume people having trouble with the parry have never used the mechanic in any other combat game. Not to sound like a douche, but it's unbelievably simple and lenient. If you have any concept of what a parry is, the game telling you left stick + attack is all you really need as a parry tutorial. The timing and enemy indicators are left up to you as a learning process. I don't know, I'm just having a hard time understanding the confusion.
Logic dictates that if you're so supposed to defend using a stick, point the stick in the direction of the attack. I struggled for about 30 seconds until I realised it's similar to Bayonetta's optional parrying and picked it up almost immediately.
It's also interesting to see how people use the Blade Mode. Are people here using it during every kill? Or just selected ones? Maybe handy for getting left arms for the in-game currency (I assume).
I only use it if I'm low on health or want a stylish finish on the last enemy remaining.

fair point, i'll give it another shot.

but on screen text in the middle of a fight is a really bad way of communicating things to a new player. i was a little preoccupied in trying to dodge attacks and time my own strikes inbetween his button mashing. also, there seems to be a lot of useless shit in the UI, making it easy to ignore

I can understand that. It just seems obvious to me to exhaust all options if you're struggling, one of those options being looking at everything on the HUD, where one of the indicators is a "Parry = blah blah blah" command against an enemy that gives clear warning signals before each attack. Maybe I'm just coming from a different perspective having used a similar mechanic in Bayonetta already.

But yeah, give it another shot. It's really simple once you figure it out.

So I'm in the middle of a fairly heavy two weeks work wise, and I got home fairly late tonight. I stayed up late just to download the demo.

HOLY FUCK WAS IT WORTH IT

Growing up through my late school/college years my favorite games were the MGS series and DMC/character action games. To have an effective merger of both is like a dream come true in game terms. This is my perfect project. I know a lot of people shit on MGS4 but the chance to revisit the world is a welcome one and Platinum's action pedigree does not need mentioning. The game could do with a better tutorial but by the time I got to the dog AI boss I was starting to get it. That cutscene, with the music build up, then the ensuing fight and parrying suddenly clicking meant that by the time I was done I was high as a fucking kite and my heart was yammering like a fucking jackhammer.

The boss trailer hyped me. The demo destroyed me.

Fraeon

Thought the same thing, "Well... this is game breaking isn't it?" Nope, ninja run up that shit. Ledges for a reason.

Kind of late. I only realized such a move existed now that I've already finished the demo and watching how the game is supposed to actually be played.

To help everyone out who's still going throught the demo, here's some PS3 info on attacks that can help out. Most of the Special move info is from the video FlashBlade has been mentioning (thanks for keeping that up). It's worth watching it just to see how these are supposed to practically work too.
(Posting a lot of this from memory and a little research, call out something if you think it's wrong)

Special Moves
(unofficial names made on the fly; at least they look cool)

Fwd + Square = Parry (also in the air)

Fwd Fwd + Square = Launch

Fwd Fwd + Triangle = Dashing strike

360 Rotation + Triangle = Spinning Slash

X + Square = Evasion (optional direction)

Bk + Fwd + Square = Palm Strike

Bk + Fwd + Triangle = Blade Sweep

Ninja Run + Square = Quick Slash

Ninja Run + Triangle = Slide

Ninja Run + Triangle + Square/Triangle (Slide + Ground slam)

Jump + Triangle = Dive Kick

Some Combos (from GameFAQs)
unconfirmed for right now, will give all a try and update soon.

Square (repeatedly) = unlimited light attacks

Triangle (repeatedly) = unlimited heavy attacks

Triangle (delay) + Square + Triange = Sweep 'n' Strike

Triangle + Triangle + Square + Triangle

Triangle + Triangle + Triangle + Square + Triangle

Square + Triangle (delay) + Square + Triangle

Triangle + Square + Triangle

(there's one or two, or more jump combos off of launcher, I'll post those later when I can confirm them again)

Tips

-Don't forget that with blade mode, you have the option of using square(horizontal)/triangle(vertical) strikes instead of the analog stick. Although, I get the feeling that correct aiming with the analog will really come in handy later in the game.

-Unless you're looking to get S ranking in everything, you might try experimenting with Blade Mode. Sadistic as it is, cutting off limbs and leaving the torso to walk or crawl in agony is pretty cool.

-The most opportune time to use Blade mode is when you've got a stunned opponent. Once the attack slows down and the guy glows orange, start cutting.

-Triangle + Circle gives you a stylish finishing attempt on an enemy once he/it's stunned.

-Stealth-killing is mostly getting above or behind a cyborg or gekko and hitting the button prompt.

How to be a BADASS in Rising Demo
http://youtu.be/xYGIRVeVY24?t=1m7s <---MGSR TUTORIAL on Moveset
(In Japanese, but you can figure out which buttons represent the moves)
http://youtu.be/IabHyQJA9-w <- Konami tutorial
afbr6c.gif

Quoted for this page.

Yeah, unfortunately, for those who haven't kept up with the videos Konami has been releasing, playing through this can feel really odd as it doesn't explain what to do. Hopefully this game won't get the full RE6 treatment and have no manual, or a manual that won't explain the basics.

Most of how I got through the demo the first time was seeing how others successfully played it. It's genius work once it's all applied correctly, and in how there's more than one way to tackle nearly everything.

One other thing I'll say in terms of tutorials is this:

-Whenever you finish an area, before the scoring system comes up, pause and restart from the last checkpoint; it's the best way to get practice in. The first battle in the demo where you face the three guys coming out of stealth is the best time to practice the parrying and all the in-game battles. Experiment here. You can spam, try out the combos, use Blade Mode to cut different body parts (go for the leg(s)). This is especially useful if you're not satisfied with how you felt you did.

-For those worried about the Gekkos and parrying, most attacks they have usually have a longer start-up than the cyborg attacks.

-For those still having parrying problems, use X + Square + direction to do the evasion. It's more of a sliding counter-attack, but it does evade things pretty well.

I very much disagree with the guys saying Blade Mode should've been taken out of after Platinum took over; even before you master using the button/analog (keep practicing with the analog; it's worth mastering, and you also don't have to shift the stick competely from one end to the other to get the cut), it's interaction with the environment is really fun, and hopefully will yield some cool out of reach things, like the box you get in VR after cutting the pillar. Honestly it's not something you're guaranteed to get on the first, maybe even the second playthrough. If you really want to practice Blade Mode, go into VR and practice with those cardboard enemies; their window for exact strikes is a lot small than the enemies in the real battle.

Just like Bayonetta, the real pleasure in this game came from investing in experimentation and mastery.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Played for another 45 minutes or so and I'm getting good. Practiced parry to the point that I no longer accidentally hit L1 to block. For people who want to practice parrying (and whatever else), just get to the boss, fight him, and when you beat him just pause and restart checkpoint to fight him again.

I am starting to agree with people who criticized the camera, though. It's in a bad place a lot of the time. Since this is a demo, I don't actually care about it that much, but in the real game, when I'm trying to get high ranks, I could see it getting frustrating fast.

look at that camera jesuschrist

Just....why does it get pushed up against geometry? That's like the #1 problem with most third person free camera systems. Why don't devs just let it phase through and make the wall semitransparent? It would solve so many issues.

Cwarrior

I beat the dog without knowing how to parry, took me a few trys lot easier now I know how to do it.

first playthrough all i did is avoid it's attacks then attack it when it's open/not attack.

rvy

Banned
I just don't understand why it gets pushed up against geometry. That's like the #1 problem with most third person free camera systems. Why don't devs just let it phase through and make the wall semitransparent? It would solve so many issues.

The God Hand.

Riposte

MadWorld is easily Platinum's worst game. It is the only mediocre / bad game they've made. Anarchy Reign has a really neat campaign and the multiplayer is great aside from some implementation errors.

Man at that blade cancel trick. Game has already been broken open day -20 or w/e?

20130123_210804.jpg

I guess this is a fine print situation? I figured out the parry just based on how it worked in Bayonetta and SF3, and I don't really know how else I'd be able to explain it in plain English.

jett

D-Member
MadWorld is easily Platinum's worst game. It is the only mediocre / bad game they've made. Anarchy Reign has a really neat campaign and the multiplayer is great aside from some implementation errors.

Man at that blade cancel trick. Game has already been broken open day -20 or w/e?

It's not really broken because combo variety doesn't really serve much purpose in the game.

Riposte

It's not really broken because combo variety doesn't really serve much purpose in the game.

Maybe, but is it really possible to do that much damage so quickly to the boss otherwise?

I'm thinking Revengeance difficulty needs to really play around with blade mode for the game to reach its full potential.

EDIT: Ah, and they don't fuck up difficulty locks again like they with Bayonetta. Vanquish and Anarchy Reigns gives me hope.

Biff

What do the little letters inside the aiming reticle on enemies mean?

Above it's LKD. I think I've seen TKT as well..

I'm guessing it has to do with the enemy style. Like one describes a weak, light enemy with an assault rifle. Another describes a heavier enemy with rocket launcher, etc.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
What do the little letters inside the aiming reticle on enemies mean?

Above it's LKD. I think I've seen TKT as well..

I'm guessing it has to do with the enemy style. Like one describes a weak, light enemy with an assault rifle. Another describes a heavier enemy with rocket launcher, etc.

I thought it just said TGT, an abbreviation for target.

iJkMzfUAGF42l.gif

but really, MadWorld = 6/10, Vanquish = 8/10.

Naw I'd give Vanquish a 7 or so and MadWorld an 8 I think. I loved the world, the art, the voiceovers, the music, and the gameplay. Hard Mode and the extra missions were a blast. I never got in to Vanquish as much, although I did like it a lot.

branny

The upgrade system in Vanquish and some other stupid design choices really brought that game down for me. =\

I hated what I played of MadWorld, but I appreciate Anarchy Reigns for what it is.

Also, yay, blade mode canceling for all those long recovery enders. Too bad it doesn't work with the breakdance.

Play on God Hard. Problem solved.
Haha, that was the opposite of Bayo cutting out the fun aka bitch time. :(

Well, I got my first lock-up. Went to retry when I died and just got a black screen (360 version).

I love that I'm still learning new stuff as I play this, but is it possible to parry a rocket launcher?!

Top Bottom