• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motorsports |OT| of Endurance Racing, Nascar, Rally, Sportscars, MotoGP, etc

Shaneus

Seriously, it's not that hard. I'm surprised the WRC doesn't do it. I've only been able to watch live rally coverage a couple times and it's soooo much better than the 30 min highlight shows.
This current live streamed thing from Bathurst is the way to do it. Have intermittent ad-breaks sponsored by the tourism board or something so rather than have irrelevant advertisements, actually promote the place where the race is bloody held. Every 10 minutes, have a 60 second spot promoting New South Wales or Canada or Wherever The Fuck The Race Is Today.

First time I've spent any real time watching anything at Bathurst, and I'm struck by how much the Blue Mountain track in the first Forza game resembles it.

Latvala wins Rally Sweden; not surprising after Ogier's mistake yesterday. VW domination continues.

I'm glad to see WRC is putting an effort on improving their website; plenty of videos available.

edit: some onboard goodness.

i wish i could watch WRC live somewhere. heck they should just livestream the on board cams on their site. that would be awesome.

Ahhh you're all in here. :)

First time I've watched this, great stuff!

Me too. Looks like they changed the entry rules a few years ago, and now it's a legit world-class event. It looks very, very challenging dealing with traffic and of course the circuit itself.

Pretty amusing watching that guy weaving to try to grab his door handle. :D

Surely those SLS' should have a little grab handle hanging down for situations like that...

A lot of people in the chat are expecting him to crash. I'm not familiar with his driving, but I'm not getting a lot of confidence from the chat...

Shaneus

5,255 now, other series take note, this is how you broadcast to a worldwide audience
FIFTEEN THOUSAND PEOPLE watching right now.

Has it received some kind of publicity boost online? Those numbers are incredibly surprising. That right now, there are fifteen-thousand other people watching this globally is a great boon for Australian motorsport.

Not sure about race pace but they were speeding in the pit lane during a stop so had a drive through (~20 seconds)

Nice pit stop overtake!

Ah, I must have missed that. Their race pace seems pretty lackluster too. That's how it goes sometimes.

I have a massive urge to drive the 12C at Bathurst in iRacing now...

If it stays this quiet for too much longer, I'm jumping ship to do the same :)

I find Shea Adam, the pit lane reporter, incredibly annoying for only one reason. Her questions are good, she speaks clearly, her reports are solid, but WHY does she have to make a 'summary comment' at the end of every interview? I've never seen any other motorsport reporter do this - everyone else just says 'thanks for your time' or 'thanks for talking to us' or 'good luck' or 'unlucky', etc. She puts a full summary sentence in place of this 'thanks' (as in, she's still looking at the person, she hasn't turned to the camera or anything) and it seems totally awkward.

dubc35

I haven't heard many of her interviews but early on she looked pretty uncomfortable in front of the camera. Maybe the recap is a by product of being only on radio prior to this (for radio le mans)?

Yeah I think that must be what it is, it does sound very 'radio'.

Wait for her next on-camera interview with someone... I bet she does it again - she's done it in the last four!

[edit] See! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Didn't seem that bad.
That was one of the less awkward examples really. That time she made her summary comment sound like she was sharing a joke with the guy, so it wasn't so bad. The other times it has just been straight-faced summary comment, while staring right at them, instead of just saying 'thanks'. It's weird! lol

dubc35

dat Salo. 8th to 2nd in the time I took off from watching.

Also, have to say I do love watching races on Saturday rather than Sunday!

Dead Man

Gah, only cool day coming up for a week, I want to go for a drive in my car since it seems to actually be working at the moment (sensitivity to hot weather aside - why couldn't Americans make a decent engine cooling solution in the 60's?) but I don't want to miss the race either. First world problems :)

Bloody hell. For those curious about the Focus talk, a short video of a V8 Focus that they'll be racing in South Africa. Incredible.

I wonder if that's what they'll consider using to replace the Falcon here when it's time is up? Certainly seems feasible.

Damn, that looks awesome. Give me a Focus with AWD and a V engine of any kind and they will have my money. It will never happen, I know. Still, one can dream.

Shaneus

Damn, that looks awesome. Give me a Focus with AWD and a V engine of any kind and they will have my money. It will never happen, I know. Still, one can dream.
Do you reckon there's a chance the RWD V8 Focus could be the Falcon replacement? I honestly would have no problem if the Supercars took more of a turn/visual cue from the shorter wheelbase Euro series'.

An engine swap of that magnitude that was born in Australia isn't unusual, either. If you remember, Neal Bates a number of years ago raced a Corolla with an engine from an ST205 GTFOUR Celica. Badarse.

Edit: Holy shit. You thought this Canberra Milk ad with Webber was bad, check this. Oh god.

Dead Man

Do you reckon there's a chance the RWD V8 Focus could be the Falcon replacement? I honestly would have no problem if the Supercars took more of a turn/visual cue from the shorter wheelbase Euro series'.

An engine swap of that magnitude that was born in Australia isn't unusual, either. If you remember, Neal Bates a number of years ago raced a Corolla with an engine from an ST205 GTFOUR Celica. Badarse.

You mean for racing, or for sale? For sale, no way. For racing? It's possible, but I think they would use the Mondeo. It needs the marketing push more here, and is closer in size to the other new cars. Hell, the damn thing is only 5 inches shorter than a Falcon. New cars are so big :(

But I would love some crazy RWD V8 Focus in Supercars. I hope they move away from the V8 only formula in the long term though (heresy, I know) to something more like the old Group A regs they ran under in the 80's.

Edit: Holy shit, was that a real ad? Damn Canberra Milk, you love your motorsport at least.

Shaneus

You mean for racing, or for sale? For sale, no way. For racing? It's possible, but I think they would use the Mondeo. It needs the marketing push more here, and is closer in size to the other new cars. Hell, the damn thing is only 5 inches shorter than a Falcon. New cars are so big :(

But I would love some crazy RWD V8 Focus in Supercars. I hope they move away from the V8 only formula in the long term though (heresy, I know) to something more like the old Group A regs they ran under in the 80's.

Edit: Holy shit, was that a real ad? Damn Canberra Milk, you love your motorsport at least.
I was meaning for racing... no way today's modern boges would go for something like a Focus, regardless of what engine they put in it!

I know it's anti-Australian of me to say, but despite my love for the Falcon (it was essentially my birthright, my old man worked at and owned/owns a Ford) I have to say this is actually a better looking car than the modern Falcon IMO:
QH37mNhl.jpg

And yeah... that ad. SMH. I should look up others!

Dead Man

Yeah, current Mondeo/Fusion is a great looking car, and yeah, it is better looking that the current falcon. I just needs some actual aggression in it to be something I would consider. It's too pretty for me :)

Bah, 4am. Need to get some sleep. Wish I could stay up and watch the rest but lots to do and going to bed at 6am would be bad. :(

Top Bottom