• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

So what can you get up to in beta then other than making a panda?

Managed to get into a 25man guild yesterday that does RBGs and such.
Said they didnt need tanks but I could join as social/possible spot in the future which was better than nothing in my previous guild.
Odd thing was Ive got "gearing to raid" in my box (set by GM) yet Im 3bits short of full raid finder tank gear (bunch of valor stuff aswell). I mean how do I get more geared than that for normal!?
Dps gear is pretty much the same Ilvl aswell.. Oh well people talk so thats a big plus anyway!

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member

Wow Forums said:
Section 2 - Currently Available
This does NOT mean it is complete, just that it is at least partially accessible and testable.

2.1 - Features
Level 86-87
The new talent system
The revised Glyph system
The new Monk class
The new Pandaren Race
AOE looting

2.2 - Zones
The Wandering Isle - lvl 1-10 Pandaren Starting Zone
The Jade Forest - lvl 85-86
Valley of the Four Winds - lvl 86-88

2.3 - Dungeons & Raids
Revamped Ragefire Chasm - lvl 14 Dungeon (some loot)
Revamped Scarlet Halls/Armory - lvl 29 Dungeon (no loot)
Revamped Scarlet Graveyard/Cathedral - lvl 38 Dungeon (some loot)
Revamped Scholomance - lvl 40 Dungeon (some loot)
Temple of the Jade Serpent - lvl 85-90 Dungeon

Heroic revamped Scarlet Halls/Armory - lvl 90 Dungeon (no loot)
Heroic revamped Scarlet Graveyard/Cathedral - lvl 90 Dungeon (no loot)

2.4 - Battlegrounds & Arena
N/A

Copied this from elsewhere as I'm too lazy to make my own.
Not a hell of a lot to do on beta atm, should be a lot more interesting once they start drowning us in more content.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Lots of pets acquired in the last three days:

Terrorpene
Sambas
Karoma
Skoll
Loque'nahak
Banthalos
Edit: Add Ankha to that list!

(Already had Arcturis and Gondria)

:woot:

oldsoap

Neo Member
I received a scroll of resurrection in my email account, and I don't recognize the battle net ID. There is no such notification in my battle net account, or will it show up after I accept the rez?

I received a scroll of resurrection in my email account, and I don't recognize the battle net ID. There is no such notification in my battle net account, or will it show up after I accept the rez?

Hmmm, I wouldn't do it. Way too many fishing scams out there. Msg me here with your b.net email and I'll send you a legit scroll ASAP.

oldsoap said:

This is a scam. I had received a scroll from an unknown name too. The link will take you to a site to steal your login info. I hope you have an authenticator on your account. If you need a legit scroll let me know.

The Dark One

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
A fellow friend on Mal'Ganis just made me a Mechano Hog for free :_: I still can't believe how nice some people are in this game...

liaoN.jpg

Audioboxer

Yoshi, raiding is not mandatory, not for anyone, not even for a GM. Sure, if you stop then your whole guild will probably spiral into disarray and drama, but you know what? Let that be their problem. Stepping down means just that, stepping down. Giving up your responsibilities. It really is just a game, and it should be fun to play, and when it stops being fun to play, STOP PLAYING. If the guild wants to keep raiding, let somebody else step up and start running things.

You really aren't being forced. You are choosing to suffer in order to make it better for everyone else. You are choosing, and you can make a different choice.

If you aren't having fun raiding anymore, then stop raiding. Play a different way, or stop playing altogether. I haven't played in over a year now. I'm about to do the annual pass soon to get my free Diablo III. And this time in WoW I'm going to go totally casual. Playing just for fun now and then. I'm going to start a new druid, do every quest I come across and actually read the quest text. I'm going to level professions as level. I'm going to choose professions based on what sounds fun and not give a damn about best synergy or stats or optimal choices. I'm going to choose talents based on what sounds fun and not what EJ says to use. I'm going to level fishing, collect pets and mounts. I'll spend hours just sightseeing and investigating the world and take my sweet ass time doing it. I will NOT race to 85, I won't honestly care about what level I'll be. I'll run every dungeon along the way at least once just for fun. I'll PvP in BG's along the way, I may even turn off XP a few times to hang out at a bracket now and then.

You don't have to raid Yoshi, you do have a choice. Hell, you don't even have to play WoW, focus on your SC2 game instead! Take a big break before D3 comes out and just relax and do other things for a bit.

Your post inspired me to roll a druid instead of a priest :p Wanting to go back to alliance as well, had a short dabble with horde a few months back and I simply prefer SW/Ironforge.

I think I'll roll a worgen and do skinning/leatherworking or skinning/herb whilst levelling.

Ramirez

Lots of pets acquired in the last three days:

Terrorpene
Sambas
Karoma
Skoll
Loque'nahak
Banthalos
Edit: Add Ankha to that list!

(Already had Arcturis and Gondria)

:woot:

Yea, I've found Terrorpene, Sambas, & Ban'thalos all within the past week without even trying to look for them. Just flew by once and they were all there...guess everyone who wants them has them by this point.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Overall I'm pretty happy with their roll out. I've been in for a while, haven't really played it, but there was a lot of pessimistic "90% will only be in it for the 1 month stress test before launch"

Rokam

Overall I'm pretty happy with their roll out. I've been in for a while, haven't really played it, but there was a lot of pessimistic "90% will only be in it for the 1 month stress test before launch"

Think I logged on, checked to make sure I liked the look of a Panda shaman and logged off. Don't want to spoil anything quest/story wise.

Yea, I've found Terrorpene, Sambas, & Ban'thalos all within the past week without even trying to look for them. Just flew by once and they were all there...guess everyone who wants them has them by this point.
I really enjoy farming for pets. But the grind on the crazy .00000001% (exaggerated for emphasis) drop rate ones are unbearable. Still no Fox Kit pup or any of the Dragon Whelplings.

Also, I know i keep pushing for a WoW reboot. But I think starting over and having a new 1-60 leveling grind with raids at level 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 would be pretty interesting.

TheYanger

I really enjoy farming for pets. But the grind on the crazy .00000001% (exaggerated for emphasis) drop rate ones are unbearable. Still no Fox Kit pup or any of the Dragon Whelplings.

Also, I know i keep pushing for a WoW reboot. But I think starting over and having a new 1-60 leveling grind with raids at level 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 would be pretty interesting.

Raids at anything besides max level are pretty pointless though. It's not any different than the current 60, 70, 80 raids, and those don't see much use either.

johnsmith

remember me

Buy the whelplings. You can make the money for them much quicker than actually farming for them yourself. I bought all of them except the crimson whelpling because there were none on Malganis's AH for months. Got lucky and got one to drop after only about 2 hrs.

The fox kit was a pain in the ass though. That took weeks of grinding an hour or two a night. No idea how long overall I spent on it. It was better for my sanity if I didn't keep track. Don't even get me started on the archaelogy crawling hand. I doubt I'll ever get that.

Arment

I got in. I literally -just- signed up for the Annual Pass. I haven't even been charged for my second month yet.

So that means they're almost done and now people who signed up normally might start getting in.

Managed to get into a 25man guild yesterday that does RBGs and such.
Said they didnt need tanks but I could join as social/possible spot in the future which was better than nothing in my previous guild.
Odd thing was Ive got "gearing to raid" in my box (set by GM) yet Im 3bits short of full raid finder tank gear (bunch of valor stuff aswell). I mean how do I get more geared than that for normal!?
Dps gear is pretty much the same Ilvl aswell.. Oh well people talk so thats a big plus anyway!

This is my problem as well. I'm geared as much as I possibly can but most guilds won't look my way because I don't have achievs and my ilevel is like 382.

This is pretty much the reason I quit WoW every time. Raiding and the mentality that players have going into it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yes, they've sent it to everyone who got the annual pass.

Nelo Ice

Banned
I got in. I literally -just- signed up for the Annual Pass. I haven't even been charged for my second month yet.

So that means they're almost done and now people who signed up normally might start getting in.

This is my problem as well. I'm geared as much as I possibly can but most guilds won't look my way because I don't have achievs and my ilevel is like 382.

This is pretty much the reason I quit WoW every time. Raiding and the mentality that players have going into it.

Speaking of guilds I almost wish I was horde on my server since looking through the forums there is a perfect guild for me. Their application doesnt even care about ur gear or anything. The only thing they care about is if ur fun to play with and ur not an ass. They raid on certain days but its not a requirement and it's more along the lines of if u want to raid that day or not.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Speaking of guilds I almost wish I was horde on my server since looking through the forums there is a perfect guild for me. Their application doesnt even care about ur gear or anything. The only thing they care about is if ur fun to play with and ur not an ass. They raid on certain days but its not a requirement and it's more along the lines of if u want to raid that day or not.
Getting into a guild is one thing. The more important thing is how many people are benched and left out of the raid in each guild. More casual guilds usually don't have enough core players to do multiple 10 mans. 10 man guilds tend to have a lot more benched players than 25 man for obvious reasons.

Yeah its pretty frustrating.
If I could get in on one run either as the tank or dps to get madness achiv I could run DS countless times but because we never got past spine in the one pug that let me in im stuck in RF limbo.

On Pets im up to 86 I think?
I spent two hours killing foxes the other day and the same for the spirit darter. Good god why!?!
I need two more crocs and mr pinchy (annoyingly have him on my hunter)from fishing
All of the arch ones (I have nearly all the vanity junk though, Drani one is the only semi useful!)
Azure whelp and the two 000.1 raptor drops.
Loads of the tourny ones but thats because they cost a fuck load and Ive forgotten how to make money!

Raids at anything besides max level are pretty pointless though. It's not any different than the current 60, 70, 80 raids, and those don't see much use either.
That's true. But I thought it could be something that people would enjoy doing in bigger groups in the same way the random dungeons works, to add a little variety. I almost prefer leveling solely through the dungeon finder anymore.

So, every 10 levels or so you'd be able to participate in a bigger random dungeon requiring 10-15 people instead of 5, or some arbitrary number. It wouldn't have to have the same feel as an end-game raid. It would be more along the lines of UBRS or Stratholme before it was turned into a 5 man. And not better items necessary, although that could be fun, but maybe bosses could drop one extra piece of gear.

Buy the whelplings. You can make the money for them much quicker than actually farming for them yourself. I bought all of them except the crimson whelpling because there were none on Malganis's AH for months. Got lucky and got one to drop after only about 2 hrs.

The fox kit was a pain in the ass though. That took weeks of grinding an hour or two a night. No idea how long overall I spent on it. It was better for my sanity if I didn't keep track. Don't even get me started on the archaelogy crawling hand. I doubt I'll ever get that.
That's probably the best way to go about it. Although there is something fun about finally seeing something drop after you've spent a bunch of time and effort into farming it. And while it's not a pet, the sea turtle mount from fishing is another item I spent a bunch of time trying to get with no luck.

Getting into a guild is one thing. The more important thing is how many people are benched and left out of the raid in each guild. More casual guilds usually don't have enough core players to do multiple 10 mans. 10 man guilds tend to have a lot more benched players than 25 man for obvious reasons.

A lot of casual guilds often need pugs even to fill up their 10 mans. That's how I got into a guild a few months ago, and also how I ended up in my current guild. Both times, there was no recruitment process at all beyond "we really liked your healing tonight, want to join?" It helps to play a tank or a healer because just like with the rest of the game, they're in shorter supply and a good one makes a huge difference. Though I wouldn't recommend tanking Dragon Soul without having tanked LFR and done some of research on the difference between normal and LFR.

It does take patience and persistence though, which isn't for everyone. Some pug raids are going to fail badly. Some aren't going to want anyone without an achievement, although that's rarer now that the nerf is at 15%, and 3 out of the first 4 bosses are virtually impossible to fail on. It's also a good idea to have watched the videos on the bosses first so you're not relying on their explanations.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
A lot of casual guilds often need pugs even to fill up their 10 mans. That's how I got into a guild a few months ago, and also how I ended up in my current guild. Both times, there was no recruitment process at all beyond "we really liked your healing tonight, want to join?" It helps to play a tank or a healer because just like with the rest of the game, they're in shorter supply and a good one makes a huge difference. Though I wouldn't recommend tanking Dragon Soul without having tanked LFR and done some of research on the difference between normal and LFR.

It does take patience and persistence though, which isn't for everyone. Some pug raids are going to fail badly. Some aren't going to want anyone without an achievement, although that's rarer now that the nerf is at 15%, and 3 out of the first 4 bosses are virtually impossible to fail on. It's also a good idea to have watched the videos on the bosses first so you're not relying on their explanations.
There's different scenarios. My guild went from have a 10 man core and no extra people logged on, to having a guild merger with a bunch of benched people who couldn't do a 2nd 10 man by themselves sucessfully. We split the main group up, to teach them, and they failed. When they left from being benched for 2 months and we were back to the core, 2 people decided to stop playing and it went into the scenario you described. IF they decided to come back in 3 weeks, the people filling in would be benched because of real life friendship.

What I'm saying is you have to be aware of what's goin on. How many active 85's are in the guild. You can always leave the guild and jump to a new one, but considering race changing just because a guild has no application process isn't wise. Not saying the guy was considering it.

Cipherr

I think more folks need to consider server moves. On Icecrown my progression went:

Normal level 85 dungeon runs > Heroic Dungeon runs > ilvl 353 Heroic Dungeon runs (ZA etc) > Hour of Twilight Heroics (ilvl 372 drops) > Raid Finder (iLvl 384 through 390) > PUG 10 mans that cleared normally through Ultraxion but generally didnt get further than that very often.

But still, through normal 10m Ultraxion you can get a shitload of 397 gear/trinkets and tier pieces. My ilvl right now is 394, every 4 or 5 weeks Ill run with a PUG on Fridays that clears 25man normal. At this point, if I had the time to devote to raiding, I could easily apply and be accepted to a raiding guild, and I have the achievements to be considered.

If your server doesn't have routine people spamming trade chat weekly for 'Alt DS runs' and the like, consider moving somewhere that does. All of the major raiding guilds on our server seem to run alt runs weekly that pug people. 2 of them do 25 man where their guildy alts take care of about 6 spots, and the rest are PUG's. Whats more, is if you raid with those guys, its fairly easy to get a guild invite to become a raider with them when they know you from the Alt runs.

Get off of those empty ass servers. I left Suramar for that very reason. Best decision I ever made.

Alchemy

I got my Thunderfury last night (totally a hunter weapon right?!) and got a MoP beta invite as I was going to bed. Yay?

I can't possibly imagine what a pain it must have been to get 100 arcanite bars when the transmute still had a 24 hour cooldown. Ewww.

Nugg

I can't possibly imagine what a pain it must have been to get 100 arcanite bars when the transmute still had a 24 hour cooldown. Ewww.
Back then, any decent raiding guild had like 7 or 8 people able to transmute (fewer crafting professions, huge guilds for 40 players raids), so it wasn't THAT bad. Farming the Arcane crystals was the worst tho.

Well, I finally did it. I emptied a huge cache of gold on a worthless cosmetic item.

[Reins of the Spectral Tiger] are now mine. Only cost 250k gold.

/cheststab

The problem? Which character to use it on?!? It's been an agonizing decision. I play my DK, Priest, Rogue, and Warrior all equally as much.

I'm half tempted to wait out and see if they implement account wide mounts to co-inside with account wide pets.

mileS

last I heard pets are going account wide and they are waiting to see about mounts, I think they mentioned it could be possible but it won't happen right away.

Tantalus

Neo Member
Hey guys, hope I'm posting this in the right place. I'm new to WoW, just started this week when a friend used the Recruit a Friend system to get me playing. Right now I'm a L19 Frost Mage with what I think is decent equipment (my friend took me through some dungeons to get some good mage stuff, most of it gives an int bonus).

Anyway, I was wondering if you have any tips for me if I wanted to start doing dungeons with a random group? I've never had to play in a real group before, my friend just killed most of the monsters with his L85 char the other times I've been. I know to stay back and let the tank take aggro before I start casting but that's about it.

Any tips? I just don't want to get flamed for being bad and dragging the group down haha.

Ramirez

Hey guys, hope I'm posting this in the right place. I'm new to WoW, just started this week when a friend used the Recruit a Friend system to get me playing. Right now I'm a L19 Frost Mage with what I think is decent equipment (my friend took me through some dungeons to get some good mage stuff, most of it gives an int bonus).

Anyway, I was wondering if you have any tips for me if I wanted to start doing dungeons with a random group? I've never had to play in a real group before, my friend just killed most of the monsters with his L85 char the other times I've been. I know to stay back and let the tank take aggro before I start casting but that's about it.

Any tips? I just don't want to get flamed for being bad and dragging the group down haha.

The lower dungeons are just roflstomps now, no need to CC anything. Hell, I just started doing ZG/ZA last night for the first time and no one was CCing anything in there either. The game really has devolved into group everything up and AOE type of thing.

So basically, just sit back and spam frostbolt or whatever AOE you have at your level.

Sciz

As a general rule, at any level, target the tank's target. It's still possible to peel adds off the tank even now, and no one will be happy about it, least of all you. Fortunately damage is tuned such that the tank does around half the group's overall damage in low level dungeons, so you're primarily along for the ride as a warm body. Take the opportunity to learn how your class works.

Somewhere down the line roll a tank and a healer of your own, if only so that you can properly appreciate what and how they do what they do.

edit: On a related note to the above, gear with spirit on it belongs to the healer and a handful of caster specs that aren't you.

Khezu

I wish I could be a male worgen with a female human transformation.

Female worgen are disgusting and male humans are fugly.

Nope, can't be worgen, not with those running and casting animations, god damn.

oldsoap

Neo Member
Hmmm, I wouldn't do it. Way too many fishing scams out there. Msg me here with your b.net email and I'll send you a legit scroll ASAP.

This is a scam. I had received a scroll from an unknown name too. The link will take you to a site to steal your login info. I hope you have an authenticator on your account. If you need a legit scroll let me know.

The Dark One

Turns out it was some random girl on another forum, I frequent, who wanted the mount... whew.

Thanks for the offer though guys.

The starting Panda area is really good looking.

I was only there for about 30 minutes though, there were a tooooon of people. Doing that Burning Hand quest was really frustrating to complete.

Not sure if I'll continue with the Panda, I'm more interested in checking stuff out with my copied character.

markot

Banned
I wish I could be a male worgen with a female human transformation.

Female worgen are disgusting and male humans are fugly.

Nope, can't be worgen, not with those running and casting animations, god damn.

Well... you dont have to be a male human ever except for like the first 5 levels >.>

markot

Banned
The lower dungeons are just roflstomps now, no need to CC anything. Hell, I just started doing ZG/ZA last night for the first time and no one was CCing anything in there either. The game really has devolved into group everything up and AOE type of thing.

So basically, just sit back and spam frostbolt or whatever AOE you have at your level.

That pretty much happens every time people level up to a certain point ilvl wise.

... also cc is boring >.<

Top Bottom