• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Since I played on Steam this never occurred to me before but... on PS4 do you need PS+ to use the Network Mode? Is it even possible to get Ending E without Network Mode? Is the final ending in the game locked behind a paywall on console?!
Not required, though the official notes claim as such:

wGJ2m0v.png

Weird.

But I do suppose if you tried to play and didn't have an Internet connection during that particular section, you'd sort of be fucked.

duckroll

That's pretty cool. I wonder what the arrangements are like for stuff like this. Who decides if an online function would require Plus or not? Is it the nature of the online function as determined by Sony? Or does the publisher decide?

That's pretty cool. I wonder what the arrangements are like for stuff like this. Who decides if an online function would require Plus or not? Is it the nature of the online function as determined by Sony? Or does the publisher decide?
It's probably a blanket competitive multiplayer vs. passive multiplayer distinction that publishers can honor at their discretion. The same way that leaderboards generally aren't locked behind the PS+ paywall, for instance.

I'm more interested in learning what the approval process was like for the
trophy shop
. That was quite the surprise, and I believe is without precedent.

It seems like it would be easy to draw a line between synchronous player interactions needing PS Plus and asynchronous interactions being free, but I don't think the guidelines have ever been made public.

The bigger question is why did the Steam version have to leave out the option to pray for a fallen player body before you see the retrieve/repair options (which sends a heal back to the actual player, is that right?).

Greedings

Wait!
You can't get your body back after the bunker is destroyed?! That's awesome! Nice little attention to detail...although it would have been nice to have been told about it. Should have guessed really...

emiliano

Well, it makes you feel upset right? Upset enough to remember how bad it is that you died and had to do all that shit again. Frustrating no? That makes it an interesting design choice - that the creator is willing to make bad design choices just to get you to feel something, even if it doesn't create positive impressions on the game itself.

Lol.

This is so true lol. (about 3rd route)
The last section of the third route in particular, in hard, where there are no save point and only a few checkpoints so far apart from one another... I've died so many times there that the recovery items were just a nice thing of the past, at that point I had to learn the combat system for real! I never felt so frustrated and at the same time so fascinated. I had such a good time...

Is it even possible to get Ending E without Network Mode?

Since this wasn't explicitly answered...yes, you can get Ending E without Network mode.

There are several successful attemps up on Youtube...the videos go a couple of hours each. The game really does it's best to make it borderline impossible, after a lot of unsuccessful attempts, the
credits
suddenly turn invincible halfway through until you die a whole bunch of times again. (Or enough time has passed...or both. Not really sure on that.)

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Wait!
You can't get your body back after the bunker is destroyed?! That's awesome! Nice little attention to detail...although it would have been nice to have been told about it. Should have guessed really...

Like I've said, for better or worse it tries to apply itss mechanics based on the world. :p

Join us in the spoiler thread if you have any questions!

I don't have questions really because I feel like talking about it rather than asking questions. It's one of those games that you could spend days talking about because it throws so many ideas and themes at you in an almost unstoppable rate. I just wish we got more of
A2
? s
he felt like an anomaly of sorts between everything else and maybe that was the intention?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I don't have questions really because I feel like talking about it rather than asking questions. It's one of those games that you could spend days talking about because it throws so many ideas and themes at you in an almost unstoppable rate. I just wish we got more of
A2
? s
he felt like an anomaly of sorts between everything else and maybe that was the intention?

We were just discussing about that exact topic in the spoiler thread lol.

But yeah, kinda. The thing with taro is that there is quite a bit of supplemental material about his games that aren't actually in the game. Like,
A2 is kinda a returning character from the universe based on a stage play that is a prequel to the game.
Though that part is included in the game but not in the same way.

Like, the thing linking nier to nier automata isn't even really in the original game. :p

Ricker

Thought I screwed myself there for a bit when I kept dying kinda early on in the game lol,until I realised what to do...made me realise that retrieving your body doesnt refill your recovery items also so I wasted quite a few on that part,ironicaly ;) they are cheap though.

Loving it so far,the Boss that they showed from the game like 3 years ago or so when the game got announce was great,as that whole area was well done.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
It seems like it would be easy to draw a line between synchronous player interactions needing PS Plus and asynchronous interactions being free, but I don't think the guidelines have ever been made public.

The bigger question is why did the Steam version have to leave out the option to pray for a fallen player body before you see the retrieve/repair options (which sends a heal back to the actual player, is that right?).

I got the option to pray in the Steam version though? It never gave me an explanation as to what it did though or it did and I forgot.

I wound up doing the Lord of the Valley side quest with the lv50 boss and then did the lv50 Robo Dojo, both of which I was clearly underleveled for and required about ten minutes of mindless patience.
Only 10 mins? That's damn fast!
I gave up after like 5 mins. Would have taken me way longer than that in route A.

PS4 version:

The hell?

I got the option to pray in the Steam version though? It never gave me an explanation as to what it did though or it did and I forgot.
Could you post a screenshot?

1upsuper

Currently at ~110 hours (I'm not sure exactly because the clock stops at 99:59) grinding Overclock and Shock wave chips. I've just about got my ideal set-up for my last challenge before I put the game down. DLC spoilz:
I've beaten the special ranks for both the desert and forest arenas (desert was by far the hardest of the two) and now I've just got probably the hardest remaining with the ocean arena. Wish me luck.

Played the demo on release and bought the game at launch to get the T-shirt, but LTTP on actually starting the thing.

Played for 35 minutes, died, credits fast-forward, lost all progress.

A Yoko Taro Game.

I love the bullshit already.

I feel so frustrated with this game. I am literally on the first "sub-quest" to talk to the two traders in the resistance camp. They point right outside the camp to two orange circles. I have killed every enemy in these areas and been back and forth and there's no enemies and nothing is respawning. I completed the weapon quest but the other remains requiring a Broken Key and pointing to an empty orange circle.

What on earth do I do to progress this rudimentary garbage?

I feel so frustrated with this game. I am literally on the first "sub-quest" to talk to the two traders in the resistance camp. They point right outside the camp to two orange circles. I have killed every enemy in these areas and been back and forth and there's no enemies and nothing is respawning. I completed the weapon quest but the other remains requiring a Broken Key and pointing to an empty orange circle.

What on earth do I do to progress this rudimentary garbage?

Make sure you picked up all the loot. Sometimes it blends in with the ground.

Oh I picked up all the loot. I had to quit the game and reload for the enemies to respawn. Unbelievable.

It's a bug that rarely happens, no big deal. You'll easily get the materials from the other regular enemies in the City Ruins area anyway.

Whenever there's a quest that requires certain materials it will always spawn in enemies with guaranteed item drops. As far as I know this is the only quest that at rare times doesn't work as intended.

It's a bug that rarely happens, no big deal. You'll easily get the materials from the other regular enemies in the City Ruins area anyway.

Whenever there's a quest that requires certain materials it will always spawn in enemies with guaranteed item drops. As far as I know this is the only quest that at rare times doesn't work as intended.

Ultimately I loved the original Nier so I will continue on. But the no saving in the opening area and this quest bug has made two nights in a row with this game where a chunk of my time was wasted. Just a terrible first impression. I know it'll be worth the effort though.

Kaelan

Loved the stamp collection side quest, I was crying lol. Imo this games side quests are excellent, up to the caliber of Witcher 3's

HardRojo

Fuck I wanted to keep playing after coming back home but I forgot my only controller at my friend's today. I'll have to go pick it up first thing tomorrow morning.

Currently at ~110 hours (I'm not sure exactly because the clock stops at 99:59) grinding Overclock and Shock wave chips. I've just about got my ideal set-up for my last challenge before I put the game down. DLC spoilz:
I've beaten the special ranks for both the desert and forest arenas (desert was by far the hardest of the two) and now I've just got probably the hardest remaining with the ocean arena. Wish me luck.

Belatedly, good luck!

I still haven't had time to sit down and grind enough to do those fights. Soon.

LotusHD

Banned
Ending of Route C was intense and amazing. Jumping straight into D now.

Just to be sure, you're using Chapter Select right?

The sidequests seem quite basic/fetchquest-y so far. Does this change?

No, not really. Design-wise it's nothing special, the stories and such they tell are the main reason you engage with them.

Just finished. Ending E, holy shit.
I ain't helping no one til i see all the endings tho lol.

Lol I don't blame you

1upsuper

Yeah, there are a few sidequests that are different in terms of their requirements but you actually do get some nice world building and dialogue from most of them. I honestly recommend doing all of them but if you aren't feeling it, someone made a list a few pages back of the ones you don't want to miss.

At least you're never told to fish for ten sardines.

Top Bottom