• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft use VMP on top of Denuvo

luca_29_bg

From reddit, Volski account

"About AC: O, one guy at cs.rin.ru send me the binaries of the game and asked me which version of Denuvo the game uses, so I decided to take a look. I found it very strange when I saw that VMProtect layer over Denuvo only because Denuvo dropped VMProtect early this year. I thought it's some desperate move by Denuvo but it seems now that Ubisoft could have implemented it themselves, tanking your game performance by a lot, especially if they hooked Denuvo and VMP to time-critical functions of the game. So, if you have high cpu usage while playing the game, this is the reason.

It seems Ubisoft simply does not care about you nor your gaming experience."

This explain the high cpu usage, just to get some more days before the crack i guess.

Shifty

Denuvo's showing its age, gotta double down.

Load of crap if it's not just an outdated version.

luca_29_bg

this time looks like it's ubisoft fault to want to use VMP on top of Denuvo, is this causing the higher cpu usage! Ubisoft simply doesn't care about customers...

Nikodemos

My decision about 7 years ago to boycott Ubisoft, EA and Actiblizzard seems more and more justified these days.

Woo-Fu

Banned
this time looks like it's ubisoft fault to want to use VMP on top of Denuvo, is this causing the higher cpu usage! Ubisoft simply doesn't care about customers...

When it comes to DRM the buck always stops with the publisher---Ubisoft---as they're the ones who decide if and what DRM to use on every game they publish.

That said, this rumor is based upon a number of assumptions.

When it comes to DRM the buck always stops with the publisher---Ubisoft---as they're the ones who decide if and what DRM to use on every game they publish.

That said, this rumor is based upon a number of assumptions.
It would explain the insane need for threads though, like no other game before has.

everyer

I hate the crack things.
There are lots of games suffer from Day 1 cracking.

Good job, Ubisoft.

I can accept the CPU use as long as the method can stop the thieves.

I hate the crack things.

Good job, Ubisoft.

What happens if this method starts frying customer CPUs? Which is a possibility right now, but not only that it's tanking performance for quad core users.

Ubisoft can fuck themselves if they prioritize this misguided attempt to turn pirates into customers over their actual customers. Can't wait for the cracked versus retail benchmarks.

Won't be surprised when lifelong paying users begin pirating. You can only push people so far and I mean, pirates already get the superior versions of Denuvo games but this level of performance is something even the usual corporate apologists can't defend.

Reallink

Ubisoft can fuck themselves if they prioritize this misguided attempt to turn pirates into customers over their actual customers. Can't wait for the cracked versus retail benchmarks.

Won't be surprised when lifelong paying users begin pirating. You can only push people so far and I mean, pirates already get the superior versions of Denuvo games but this level of performance is something even the usual corporate apologists can't defend.

image.php

I hate the crack things.

Good job, Ubisoft.

jesus christ almighty. I can accept games to barely function because people i dont know and have no impact on me cant play a game without paying.

everyer

jesus christ almighty. I can accept games to barely function because people i dont know and have no impact on me cant play a game without paying.

You think cracking has no impact to games?

Only when the day the companies use full time online checking to stop cracking then you will notice it do has impact.

I used to check the number of downloading cracking version Evil Within 2 from one site, it is almost 1/2 steam sold copies! Can you imagine that?

What about the circle: More cracking players -> Less revenue - > Developers got less profit - > They have to do more in came purchase or more online games than single play because the profit problem?

Are you happy with that and then you will know what is the impact.

Yes, they don't hurt you. They hurt the industry!

You think cracking has no impact to games?

Only when the day the companies use full time online checking to stop cracking then you will notice it do has impact.

I used to check the number of downloading cracking version Evil Within 2 from one site, it is almost 1/2 steam sold copies! Can you imagine that?

What about the circle: More cracking players -> Less revenue - > Developers got less profit - > They have to do more in came purchase or more online games than single play because the profit problem?

Are you happy with that and then you will know what is the impact.

Yes, they don't hurt you. They hurt the industry!

Instead of using this tired and supremely incorrect rethoric where pirates hurt X, you can use steamspy that for the first time ever can actually show us some palpable data and see for yourself there is no spike of any kind in any game that uses denuvo. Games that are on gog since launch day sell millions. It all depends on the game.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I hate the crack things.

Good job, Ubisoft.

If the CPU issues are true my 2500K is suffering for nothing cuz the crack will be out within 10 days (mark my words).
VMProtect and the have all be cracked its just the combo thats making crackers take time(Its Denuvo 4.7)....if anything its probably inspired them to work harder since crackers arent really doing this for money its the challenge that they love...Ubisoft just gave them a new maze with lovely cheese at the end.
Once ACO is cracked all the Denuvo 4.7 games will get day 1/2 cracks.

Weve seen from some benchmarks that the 2500K even paired with a high end GPU is slacking in dense areas where 60 becomes effectively unachieveable....while the 2500K is an old chip it shouldnt be bottlenecking to console levels just yet.

So yeah fuck UBI for making legit users have to suffer performance issue when the inevitable crack will be here sooner rather than later and poor pirates sitting on similar or older setups will get better performance.

Yeah If I have to buy something from Ubi I'll get second hand version on console instead

It will probably get broken in few days and paying users will have much worse experience than pirates

It feels like return to darkest times in pc gaming

luca_29_bg

The cracked version still will have emulated denuvo and VMP so the performance should be the same!

luca_29_bg

Is that still how it works? Don't they fully remove it nowadays? Hence the big performance gains on a lot of cracked Denuvo titles.

As far as i know yes, denuvo is not removed from cracked games, only emulated. Maybe the games where is removed from developers after the game is cracked should be carefully checked if the perfomance improve. For example, Rime run better without denuvo on my pc, and there are other people who say the same on steam forum.

This case is different, VMP is a virtual machine used by Ubisoft to protect denuvo, so the cpu usage is higher than a game with denuvo alone. I doubt it will be removed from cracked version but emulated like denuvo. Remove the protection would needs much more time.

beeswax

I'm guessing based on previous mountains created from mole hills that this will amount to nothing more than a pile of pirate salt and whatever overhead the DRM actually introduces is insignificant. Time will tell I suppose, but we've heard all this at least a couple of times before and it's always turned out to be nonsense.

nkarafo

I hate the crack things.

Good job, Ubisoft.

Joke's on you because the pirates will not be affected at all in the end. They will download the cracked version after a few days. And you will be stuck with the shitty version that runs worse than it should.

If DRM was actually able to stop pirates like you think it does then maybe, MAYBE your post could have some merit. Instead the paying customers have to get punished only for a small inconvenience for the pirates that sometimes isn't anything more than a extra day of waiting.

masterkajo

Joke's on you because the pirates will not be affected at all in the end. They will download the cracked version after a few days. And you will be stuck with the shitty version that runs worse than it should.

If DRM was actually able to stop pirates like you think it does then maybe, MAYBE your post could have some merit. Instead the paying customers have to get punished only for a small inconvenience for the pirates that sometimes isn't anything more than a extra day of waiting.

I guess you don't know how these cracks work. They don't remove Denuvo but rather bypass it. It is still there.

masterkajo

That doesn't change what i said. You are still stuck with a worse performing game for no reason.

No not really. The pirates are not removing Denuvo from the game. All they do is generate the codes that the server would themselves and pass them to the game. The game things it is legit and does run. With all the performance impact the normal customer would get too.

nkarafo

No not really. The pirates are not removing Denuvo from the game. All they do is generate the codes that the server would themselves and pass them to the game. The game things it is legit and does run. With all the performance impact the normal customer would get too.
So... you are stuck with a game that performs worse than it could, for no reason?

masterkajo

So... you are stuck with a game that performs worse than it could, for no reason?

That depends on the implementation. If Denuvo is implemented correctly it does not impact game performance at all. If not, it can. And if Ubisoft does put VMP on top, it would have to be done perfectly to not have an impact.

Aklamarth

nkarafo said:

Yeap. That's why this whole situation sucks FOR LITERALLY EVERYONE :

- publishers pay Denuvo to "protect" their game.
- protection has a performance impact.
- game gets cracked, but perf impact still remains.
- publisher doesn't remove Denuvo after crack .
- everybody (legit customer or pirate) loses. Also publisher loses because (Denuvo or not) , the game gets cracked anyway...

It's a endless spiral in which the only winning side is Denuvo. And this sucks.

luca_29_bg

That depends on the implementation. If Denuvo is implemented correctly it does not impact game performance at all. If not, it can. And if Ubisoft does put VMP on top, it would have to be done perfectly to not have an impact.

I bet Ubisoft did… 😝😝😝

luca_29_bg

From reddit, Voski account

"Ok, so I played the game for a bit, tried to trace what is happening and here it is, complete proof that the game is calling VMProtect section (.vmp0) at run-time non-stop. God only knows how deep it goes."

J0jKAeh.jpg

Top Bottom