• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ditch your PS3, Get $100 store credit towards Xbox One

tsumineko

Just received the offer in my email. Here's a screencap of that fine print:

0ad6C49.png

Working PS3s only, folks. The dream is dead, haha.

It's fair enough, they have to start making money off the Xbone somehow...you can't flog broken PS3's on eBay.

I love this kind of things.

And what's even better is some of you guys losing it over some funny marketing.

Bring back the X-BOAT Microsoft.

Shouldn't they be more concerned with converting their already existing 360 base to X1?Especially with the market advantage in the US.

Well the post title was spun in a negative light. The promotion is for:

"For a limited time, bring in your PS3, Xbox 360 S or Xbox 360 E and receive $100 of Microsoft retail store credit."

Nice to see the OP spun it as Microsoft desperately going after specifically Sony though.

andymcc

Banned
it's not really unheard of for competitors to do buybacks/trades (poaching, lmao) of competing products for their own but this is just an all around lousy deal.

Ryaaan14

Banned
When I took advantage of the Best Buy deal where you could trade in any working 360 or PS3 for a $100 gift card, three people were in line ahead of me getting rid of their PS3s. (Out of about 8 people)

GAF may chuckle at this but this is basically a second chance at that, just not quite as good since you're limited to getting one console.

kpaadet

How much will they give for my Surface? $20 you say? Deal!

Just kidding I wouldn't sell my imaginary Surface for less than $21.

Working PS3s only, folks. The dream is dead, haha.
Server conspiracy confirmed. Might as well add "must be able to run otherOS" to the terms.
Who am I kidding they are being recycled at Gamestop

It also implies that you won't get maximum trade in value if you don't buy the Xbox there and then.

_Ryo_

Keep your PS3: Get PS4 100$ less than XBOX ONE.
Keep your 360: Get PS4 100$ less than XBOX ONE.
Do nothing: Get PS4 100$ less than XBOX ONE.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I like joke accounts. But seriously, why bother with a weaker console and non Sony IPs, when you can get a PS4 for the same price and keep your PS3? This is the worst idea from Micrososft since the forced DRM. Its funny though.

To be fair, I think Sony IPs are highly overrated. However, as long as the price difference is as big as it is, there is no reason to get an Xbone over an PS4.

delta25

Banned
With PlayStation now on the horizon, this is a pretty decent trade-in when you consider what EBgames would give you.

Is this only valid for US customers?

Keep your PS3: Get PS4 100$ less than XBOX ONE.
Keep your 360: Get PS4 100$ less than XBOX ONE.
Do nothing: Get PS4 100$ less than XBOX ONE.

Or get rid of your PS3 and pay the same amount of a PS4 for an Xbone.
So instead of a console with a huge amount of games plus one with a few games, you will keep just one with a few games.

Thsi is genious.

Omni

With no backwards compatibility I think that anyone who is trading in last gen systems are making a mistake.

Somewhere Demonite and his co-workers are laughing very hard about this.

I can literally get $200 for my Xbox 360 Slim on Ebay, so this deal makes zero sense. I don't even know where a Microsoft Store is (assuming they're talking about a brick-and-mortar store and not their online store)

Occam

Amazing. This whole thing made me laugh really hard. Thank you Microsoft.

EDIT: It's been 2 minutes since I saw this thread, and I'm still laughing.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
No thanks MS.

My PS3 is a better all around console that's just slightly less powerful.

Jack cw

To be fair, I think Sony IPs are highly overrated. However, as long as the price difference is as big as it is, there is no reason to get an Xbone over an PS4.

Overrated in your opinion maybe. Demons Souls, Uncharted, GoW, Last of Us, Beyond, Heavy Rain, Gran Turismo, Motorstorm, LBP, Killzone, etc. are fantastic franchises and many of them are 5 million+ sellers, so you might rethink your post.
Price isnt the only differentiator. Tech, hype, word of mouth also play a role in this. And do not underestimate the value of PS+ and its instant game collection. The overall package regardless of price is considerably better than Microsofts offer in UK/EU.

Zok310

Banned
Sony should thank them for promoting the PS3.

Hopefully Sony PR turns this around and shop the ad to read

"PS4
$100 cheaper
Than
XBONE"

Also I am coining "tradeingate"

How is this desperation?

Best Buy had a promotion at the end of last year where you could trade in any 360 or PS3 for a $100 store credit. No one was crying foul then. As a matter of fact quite a few people here took advantage of that.

It's business people. Business!! Stop taking it so personal.

kris.

Banned
so the ps3 sitting in my living room with the dead blu-ray drive will continue to sit there and gather dust

sigh

I still have a lot I want to do with my PS3. Now if Sony wanted me to trade in my 360 for a PS4, I wouldn't even have to think about it.

Damn, now I wish Sony would do something like this. I'd do it in a split-second.

Also, the responses here are quite interesting compared to the Best Buy thread.

DeviantBoi

Brought to you by the same marketing geniuses that came up with the Bill Gates and Jerry Seinfeld commercials and the word "squirt".

Omni

No thanks MS.

My PS3 is a better all around console that's just slightly less powerful.

Slightly? I know the Xbone is weaker than the PS4 and that the differences in games between the systems are bigger than we expected... but let's not delude ourselves here. It's still a considerable upgrade from last gen.

Marcel

How is this desperation?

Best Buy had a promotion at the end of last year where you could trade in any 360 or PS3 for a $100 store credit. No one was crying foul then. As a matter of fact quite a few people here took advantage of that.

It's business people. Business!! Stop taking it so personal.

Nobody is taking anything personally. Those people pointing fingers at others crying, "Salty! Haters! You're making this personal!" etc. are the only ones acting ridiculous.

Jackdaw

Neo Member
Even better, keep your PS3, buy PS4, save $100. (Plus get kickass powerful console, best part, without mandatory Kinect). Everyone is happy.

Top Bottom